Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are you not a member of a cycling club?

• 27-09-2011 2:03pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just trying to gage the reasons why people don't join their local cycling club (I've kept this deliberately brief).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cosimocosimo

because they go to fast is the main reason i can see, i went for a spin a few times in galway and they were going average speed 30km whereas i am comfortable around 25km, plus they dont take a break for the whole spin so if you are suffering you dont get a chance to recover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

because they go to fast is the main reason i can see, i went for a spin a few times in galway and they were going average speed 30km whereas i am comfortable around 25km, plus they dont take a break for the whole spin so if you are suffering you dont get a chance to recover

I second that.
    For some people it's more about the miles than the miles p/hour
    it's my motto! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Nothing for me around Leighlinbridge, but planning to move to Killkenny soon, so I will join Marble City Cyclers ...but for the last few months it's been allot of long and lonely evening spins.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Just trying to gage the reasons why people don't join their local cycling club (I've kept this deliberately brief).
    They dress funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

I'll go for a spin with you in Galway at some stage! I am joining one next week or the week after. Orwell Wheelers. I went for a few spins last year, but want to commit to it this year. Will sign up and hope to be on every Sunday spin from the 9th of October. It starts the 2nd as far as I know, but I am not there that day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Time constraints. I've been putting off joining Bray Wheelers for ages as they seem to do their weekend Club Spins much later than I would normally head out.

Must get the finger out and actually ask them about this :D

This is just an excuse. It's because I'm crap and afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭green_dub_girl

I love cycling, but the clubs are full of very serious people with all the proper gear. I find it intimidating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I put off joining a cycling club for 15 years because a triathlete told me that roadies were a bunch of arrogant cocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

Lumen wrote: »
    I put off joining a cycling club for 15 years because a triathlete told me that roadies were a bunch of arrogant cocks.

I would say that thats quite true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

+1 i am actually a member of a club but find the club spins too fast (cos i'm a fat git and slow on hills, fine on the flat)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Too busy to devote that much time to cycling right now. When I finish up my other sport I want to spend the surplus time with my kids. At least until they turn into gits. I'll probably consider it after that.

Also, I enjoy my commute. I like pushing myself to go faster, but I'm not sure I'd like to be competitive. Might take the fun of it out of it for me.

Would like to cycle in a group some time though. Mmmmm. Peloton.

edit: Also possibly because I haven't got a clue why I should? I know basically nothing about organised cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I honestly don't know.

I was a bit tentative last year. Did a couple of spins with Orwell, but couldn't decide where to place myself. The group I was with both times (think it was the step-up group) were a little too slow and too short, but I wasn't sure if I was up to moving to a faster group. Probably would be more confident now to take on a more challenging group and spin off home if it's not working.

It also seems like joining a club is a proper commitment. At least if I don't pay the subs, I don't feel bad about staying in bed on a Sunday morning :p

Cycling is quite a social thing, and going for a spin with people you've never met before can be daunting. At least if it was soccer, you just get on with it, no talking. If it was golf, you can actually get to know the other players. On the bike you'll do a bit of chatting, but I can honestly say that I can't remember anyone's name from an Orwell spin, except the odd boardsie that I've encountered on them.
    Suppose if you stick with it, you get to know the names and faces.

Looks like Orwell are starting their winter spins this Sunday. Can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

The Orwell experience I've had last year was great for beginners and improvers alike. Grouped into different ability levels. Stop halfway for a coffee scone or whatever.

Fantastic way to run it I thought. 2 experienced cyclists were the group leaders, and they eased everyone into it brilliantly.

It was at an easy enough pace, and 25km per hour would be well able to maintain pace with the beginners definately and most likely the step up group too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The helmet hysteria.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

seamus wrote: »
    Looks like Orwell are starting their winter spins this Sunday. Can anyone confirm?

They are indeed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Pretty close to what Seamus said. I joined ThinkBike last year and only ended up going on a couple of spins with them, which was a shame as they were a really great crew. I tend to pick when I go out cycling based on the weather and what else is happening with the family, I also pick the route based on where I haven't been before and how much time I have. Part of the joy is figuring out where all the crappy little L-roads take you. Outside of the occasional sportive, I enjoy cycling either with a small group of 2 or 3 friends, or by myself, and would tend to have a slower pace. The idea of being in a peleton on a big road for hours on end just doesn't appeal whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Khannie wrote: »
    Too busy to devote that much time to cycling right now. When I finish up my other sport I want to spend the surplus time with my kids. At least until they turn into gits. I'll probably consider it after that.

Also, I enjoy my commute. I like pushing myself to go faster, but I'm not sure I'd like to be competitive. Might take the fun of it out of it for me.

Would like to cycle in a group some time though. Mmmmm. Peloton.

edit: Also possibly because I haven't got a clue why I should? I know basically nothing about organised cycling.

What he/she said...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

I too have been mildly put off by the thought of joining a cycling club however someone on here showed me this. These guys are starting a touring section of their club and it seems very newb friendly. It starts this Sunday with a trip out to Tara and I'm going to head along with all my shiny new Aldi gear and 10 speed racer!

http://www.sundrivetrackteam.com/ (second paragraph down)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭cantalach

I've no compelling reason to join a club. I train with the Tour de Munster group from April to August, and for the rest of the year I ride with people I know through that. Perhaps this means that I am a member of a sort of de facto club? If I ever wanted to race formally I might consider joining a proper cycling club alright but I don't really see what advantage club membership offers for a 'competitive sportive rider' (if I can coin a phrase).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

cantalach wrote: »
    I've no compelling reason to join a club. I train with the Tour de Munster group from April to August, and for the rest of the year I ride with people I know through that. Perhaps this means that I am a member of a sort of de facto club?

For all intents and puposes the guys you train with are a club. Helluva a lot more organised and dedicated than many clubs.
    You should race btw. You know that you'd love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mattyl

Because even though I'm shaped like a wheelybin and I have the balance of a newborn foal--I hate those hats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

kinda live between dublin and monaghan at weekends, keep saying to myself that that's the reason.

thinking of giving orwell a shout though, just have to sum up the courage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

3 reasons,

1) My weekend cycles are normally finished (or close to) by the time the local club head out
    2) I get a better workout going solo, tempo work/intervals etc.
    3) They go at a leisurely pace which whilst nice on the sociable side of things i only have so much time to train with 4 kids so i need to train wisely

In a nutshell cycling clubs not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I did think about joining Swords CC but my rides are all weekdays every other week as I work away and keep weekends for family. I've now moved to Monaghan so Swords is a bit far now. (in fact, due to a new job, I've not been on the bike in a while).
    I've no interest (or ability) in racing either so joining a club isn't a priority for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Old
    Slow
    Cycle when I want
    Dry weather rider
    Don't ride carbon
    Wear a team jersey
    Not interested in blocking the road
    Triple chainrings
    Can't remember the Euro rules

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 141 ✭✭moomooman

Lumen wrote: »

I attended a couple of meetings of my local cycling club and was put off by the bitchy "my bike is better than yours" crowd

Seriously, I wouldnt have used the phrase arrogant cocks myself but it genuinely describes the characters I met who only seemed to be there to bitch and deliver put downs about each others bikes... It was like a bunch of kids trying to decide who was coolest, except they were waay old enough to know better :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

moomooman wrote: »
    Seriously, I wouldnt have used the phrase arrogant cocks myself but it genuinely describes the characters I met who only seemed to be there to bitch and deliver put downs about each others bikes... It was like a bunch of kids trying to decide who was coolest, except they were waay old enough to know better :rolleyes:

My experience differs. The people I've met in cycling clubs around Dublin have been extremely down to earth, unpretentious people (with the very odd exception). Much more than me, anyway, although that doesn't say much. It's all about the cycling, and not at all about the bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Nothing for me around Leighlinbridge, but planning to move to Killkenny soon, so I will join Marble City Cyclers ...but for the last few months it's been allot of long and lonely evening spins.
    We look forward to your arrival!
    Club spin leaves Castle Gates on Sundays @9am on (will change to 10am when clocks go back (?forward/?back/?forward...... whatever they do...), numbers vary, no one will be left behind (well, arrogants c***s might be ;)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Myself and the missus are hoping to head out on a beginners spin with Lucan CRC this weekend, just to give it a go. Would have joined years ago, but was always put off by the early starts for club spins. Now we're too old for nightclubs, and stay in most Fridays, so not a problem any more :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

I honestly don't know.

I was a bit tentative last year. Did a couple of spins with Orwell, but couldn't decide where to place myself. The group I was with both times (think it was the step-up group) were a little too slow and too short, but I wasn't sure if I was up to moving to a faster group. Probably would be more confident now to take on a more challenging group and spin off home if it's not working.

Apparently this year they're not labelling them as "beginner/stepup/intermediate" etc, rather "short", "medium", "long" spins, so you have a better idea of what you're going to be doing. I only joined Orwell last year, and enjoyed it, did the racing which was great fun. This year I'm even down on the roster for "leading" 2 of the sunday spins! :eek:

FWIW, it's a good way to force yourself to get up and go out on a less than ideal day, especially if you know you're going to get a bit of a slagging from the lads if you miss the wet ones and only show for the nice weather spins. Also, the only way to improve yourself is to push yourself. It's easy to turn back when you're on your own, or to avoid taking a hilly route or whatever. Much different if everyone else is going on. (course there's always days your body says no, which is fine, but not if your head is just saying no).

Each to their own of course, but I have to admit that I found the Orwell groups to be friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I'm not a member of a club because I cycle to commute.

I've been thinking of getting into mountain biking, but I reckon I'd probably be happier doing that solo or with one or two mates on a casual basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

The helmet hysteria.

Just wear padded shorts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Time, can't get out of the bed on a Sunday morning before 10.30am !!

Also, I always like cycling on my own. Opportunity for some headspace and the challenge of pushing through barriers on your own.

That said I do enjoy the odd event and am going to try get to a few more next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

I'm a member of Galway Bay Cycling Club. I'm not sure if you have been out with us but on any given Sunday morning there are 2 groups on the road (both leave from the King Fisher, NUIG). One group doing approx 60km at a pace that should be suitable for people who want to take it easy - nobody is left behind.
    The 2nd group does 100-120km and a slightly faster pace.

Both groups ALWAYS stop for a break for a coffee, food, toilet ... etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 conderman

Great Question!

Last year, I went on a club spin with 3 friends of mine who I was trying to convince that a club was more fun than going it alone.

2 of the guys are very handy on a bike, one was in training for ironman and knows his training

Spin ended up being an eyeballs out affair for 80km. averaging around 30km+. 1 guy enjoyed it, the rest, myself included, just wanted to train at a lower threshold and get the miles in. lots of proven estabhlished training reasons for this.

group themselves were nice guys. one or two who obviously felt they should be in the tour de france.

Overall, too fast and that would be the consensus from the fit and unfit guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Myself and the missus are hoping to head out on a beginners spin with Lucan CRC this weekend, just to give it a go.
    Good stuff! There are now a couple of Saturday spins, a "normal" and an "easy" to cater for the amount of people that were intimidated by the ramp up from 15km commutes to 60km "normal" spins.

As far as I'm aware, both Saturday spins will have a coffee break stop, with the easy one being 50km max at a low enough speed. There are also "experienced" club members for the easy spin to ensure that everyone is okay and gets around in the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I don't know if its my mentality from my mountain biking youth but I find most serious roadies are *ssholes and way too competitive, although I've met some very decent ones too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

The group I was with both times (think it was the step-up group) were a little too slow and too short,

Can imagine it must be pretty odd riding with retarded dwarves
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

I always wanted to join a cycling club, but because I lived a a town with 2000 inhabitants in the west of Ireland, there was no club near me......
    Where I used to live, its quite a rare sight to see someone on a bike, especially a modern road bike.
    It's just sort of out of fashion to cycle anywhere, people prefer to drive.
    Even children get driven everywhere.

When I go for a spin in the west of Ireland, I've never see someone dressed up in cycling gear, not a single time. I know its different in the big towns and urban centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭Plastik

daragh_ wrote: »
    Time constraints. I've been putting off joining Bray Wheelers for ages as they seem to do their weekend Club Spins much later than I would normally head out.

Must get the finger out and actually ask them about this :D

This is just an excuse. It's because I'm crap and afraid.

Same here, this is the reason I didn't join Bray Wheelers in 2011. I had no plans to go racing and their weekly spins, even throughout the summer, don't start until 10 on Sat/Sun.

I want to try my hand at some racing in 2012 though so will look to join somewhere. Not sure where suits best yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

1. They might not understand my efforts to bring that 'recession' look to cycle clothing fashion
    2. A mandatory cycle helmet might tear my tinfoil hat and let mind rays in
    3. I hear they meet up earlier than the crack of noon some weekends. Sod that.
    4. What Lumen said about roadies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I've contacted 3 clubs in Cork, I'm obviously being treated with the absolute contempt i deserve seeing as i only have carbon forks, and have yet to even recieve a reply!
    so they can fcuk off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I have a hybrid. Whether it's me or the bike, I can't really go much faster than about 23kph on average, so I don't feel I'd be able to keep up. Intimidated by the gear as well, a bit. I mean, I wear Dunnes tracksuit bottoms, can't afford proper shorts. And whenever I pass cyclists going the opposite direction I smile and sometimes wave or nod, very rarely get a response. Probably the Dunnes look now that I think of it... Anyway I wouldn't join a cycling club as I think I'd feel very out of place. Not because of the stupid clothes, but because I can't keep up with these people who've been at it ages and have the fancy bikes with the curly handlebars and the skinny wheels.

But the real reason is that I go cycling for the silence. I like to just spend an hour hearing the tyres on the road and my breathing in and out. It's a very relaxing thing for me. No thoughts, just pedaling. Don't think I'd like to be listening to other people's random noises and words etc. Maybe someday when I've a bunch more money and a higher fitness level. And one of them thar fancy bikes ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I've contacted 3 clubs in Cork, I'm obviously being treated with the absolute contempt i deserve seeing as i only have carbon forks, and have yet to even recieve a reply!
    so they can fcuk off!

probably waiting for you to turn up with the rest of the bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I'm obviously being treated with the absolute contempt i deserve seeing as i only have carbon forks

They might make more of an effort when you get the rest of the bike;)

I think the perceived snobbery about bikes and equipment doesn't really exist. Club spins, particularly in the winter, are like a scrolling graphic of cycling through the ages - you see all manner of machines. If anything, there's a kind of reverse snobbery. It's the guy on the expensive bike who is more likely to be the object of a bit of slagging. Holding your own on an entry level bike is strongly approved of.

My leisure cycling friends who aren't involved in clubs are far more equipment-obsessed than my racing mates. People who race are far more likely to ask you about your training than your bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I'm not against the idea of joining a club but I do like the freedom of choosing when & where to go for a spin. Quite like cycling by myself at times too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I might get my 10speed sprick out so, should have them chanting adulations and strewing rose petals in front of my wheels!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

just sent off my application form to join swords cc today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

I have been thinking of joining up with Swords, but I've a list of excuses as long as my arm :) I like being able to roll out of bed at whatever time on the weekends and head out for a nice spin wherever, rather than having a set time I've got to be somewhere. Also after 3 years of cycling solo my bike handling skills are shocking, I'd be sure to cause a pileup on a group ride. Riding in groups in sportives is always a nervous time for me, whereas riding alone is quite relaxing. Oh also sportives have taught me that I have feck all acceleration (lose contact at every single corner), so that would add to the discomfort on any group rides/races.

I know racing is the best way to get fitter though, so I'm half thinking of signing up anyway and giving it a shot. Someone's gotta be lantern rouge afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

mfdc wrote: »
    I have been thinking of joining up with Swords, but I've a list of excuses as long as my arm :) I like being able to roll out of bed at whatever time on the weekends and head out for a nice spin wherever, rather than having a set time I've got to be somewhere. Also after 3 years of cycling solo my bike handling skills are shocking, I'd be sure to cause a pileup on a group ride. Riding in groups in sportives is always a nervous time for me, whereas riding alone is quite relaxing. Oh also sportives have taught me that I have feck all acceleration (lose contact at every single corner), so that would add to the discomfort on any group rides/races.

I know racing is the best way to get fitter though, so I'm half thinking of signing up anyway and giving it a shot. Someone's gotta be lantern rouge afterall.

been out 3 times and felt the same as you before joining for a spin, but you do get used to it, stay at the back and you will see what everyone else does, learn and progress

some craic as the speed you can get up to is great, especially up round the airport

• Advertisement
Advertisement