Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are you not a member of a cycling club?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Some of the reasons being presented are a little strange. When you join a club you're not precluded from only cycling at certain times of the weekend or only cycling in club rides. There's nothing to stop you rolling out of bed at whatever time you want and heading off on your own!

The benefit of joining a club would be that you'll get the opportunity to get to good quality [probably] gear at reasonable prices, if you join a few group spins you befriend more cycling friends some of whom it may suit to roll out of bed at a similar time to yourself, it makes Sportives more enjoyable if you know a few people there, there's the social side of things, there's an increased knowledge of events that are on both locally and countrywide, and there's all the little tips n'tricks that you might pick up.

I've been out with Midleton CC a few times but never ended up joining. Undoubtedly though if I was spending more time in Cork I would have done, whether I had any interest in racing or not. Great craic, easier to push yourself when in a group, have learned a lot and there's always a few friendly faces at most sportives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

I'm confused by the people saying they prefer to pick their own time to go out etc. The club run is not compulsory, FFS. I often give mine a miss and go on my own if I'm tired, lazy, hungover, not wanting company, whatever. Sometimes I go out on the mountain bike instead. Or go to a sportive, or go racing, or go nowhere.
    I don't know anybody who turns up EVERY week.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

I've contacted 3 clubs in Cork, I'm obviously being treated with the absolute contempt i deserve seeing as i only have carbon forks, and have yet to even recieve a reply!
    so they can fcuk off!

Where you asked what type of bike you have? :eek:

glennbhoy wrote: »
    just sent off my application form to join swords cc today

Make yourself known at the agm in November so we can say hi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

For a few reasons including

1. I head out for a bit of a cycle whenever I get time, busy with work and other things so it wouldnt be a regular day/time, just whenever I reckon I have time and not to wrecked from work. Usually only know I'll head out about 20 minutes before I actually go.

2. I like to head out on my own to destress from work and get things off my mind ... occassionally involves talking to myself, reinacting arguements/heated discussions I may have had during the day, and shouting at crows!

3. Not anywhere nearly fit enough to keep in with a decent group

4. I like to slow down or free wheel when the notion takes me or to take a drink without the worry of causing a 10 bike pile up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

I'm confused by the people saying they prefer to pick their own time to go out etc. The club run is not compulsory, FFS. I often give mine a miss and go on my own if I'm tired, lazy, hungover, not wanting company, whatever. Sometimes I go out on the mountain bike instead. Or go to a sportive, or go racing, or go nowhere.
    I don't know anybody who turns up EVERY week.....

Well......... I'm on the club run every week....!:D:D

Quite a few saying "head out when I want" as a reason not to join. It's not a requirement to go out with the group spins or indeed to race. They are there for you if you want to partake. No pressure. Our Saturday morning spin goes past my house and when I sleep in I can join it!

I only joined swords last year and have done a few group spins but I also did the club league and the winter evening training. I found my first year in the club great and have met some lovely people also.

I'd recommend joining a club.

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Quite a few saying "head out when I want" as a reason not to join. It's not a requirement to go out with the group spins or indeed to race. They are there for you if you want to partake.

But if you want to head out whenever you want, rather than go on club spins or races, what would be the point in joining a club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I’d have some curiosity about it, but don’t know if I’d be capable of developing the capacity to keep up with club rides.

The thing that would rule me out completely, though, is my awesome levels of risk :eek: aversion*. I can be found nervously twitching my brakes at the slightest hint of potential danger and hanging onto them for dear life going downhill, descending twisty hills roads even slower than I climb :o. Then there’s the whole idea of riding in bunches, waiting for some little glitch to topple us like dominoes…

*Not that I wear a helmet or anything…:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

236206103_847b74e582.jpg

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    But if you want to head out whenever you want, rather than go on club spins or races, what would be the point in joining a club?

I'm not here to convince you.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

kenmc wrote: »
    Apparently this year they're not labelling them as "beginner/stepup/intermediate" etc, rather "short", "medium", "long" spins, so you have a better idea of what you're going to be doing. I only joined Orwell last year, and enjoyed it, did the racing which was great fun. This year I'm even down on the roster for "leading" 2 of the sunday spins! :eek:

FWIW, it's a good way to force yourself to get up and go out on a less than ideal day, especially if you know you're going to get a bit of a slagging from the lads if you miss the wet ones and only show for the nice weather spins. Also, the only way to improve yourself is to push yourself. It's easy to turn back when you're on your own, or to avoid taking a hilly route or whatever. Much different if everyone else is going on. (course there's always days your body says no, which is fine, but not if your head is just saying no).

Each to their own of course, but I have to admit that I found the Orwell groups to be friendly.

Kenmc,

I really really hope to join Orwell this month. Can you answer some queries I have?
    I am fit but maybe not cycling fit (if that makes sense); i haven’t done more than 60km this year for a number of reasons so I am a bit intimated by the distances.
    Also I am a big guy - my bike is about 14-15kg so once I hit a hill my speed reduces rapidly, how many hilly routes will the club use given its proximity to the Dublin mountains. My average speed is approximately 25kph - so will i be too slow for the beginners group?
    Regards
    SWL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

i have been involved in cycling for a long time on and off, when im racing i join a club when im not racing i dont,you dont have to be a member to join the group spins but if you become a regular you would probably want to join anyway
    they are a grate way to improve your speed,bike handling and just get to know and get and give some tips to some like minded people their is a lot of talk bike/gear sobs in all my time i have never seen any one turned away from a group spin so if your one of those that think they would like to join now with the winter spins starting this is the best time to start
    having spent time with both racing guys and club/race officials this year i have tio say they love cycling and their enthusiasm is infectious and does rub off on you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

If I hadn't moved, then I would have probably joined Swords CC, but mainly to put faces to quite a few names I've come across here. I don't really see any major plus to joining a club given my personal circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

SWL wrote: »
    will i be too slow for the beginners group?

No.

• Advertisement

I'm not here to convince you.

Ehhh I never implied you were, but seeing as you appeared to question the "head out when I want" as a reason not to join I was just wondered what would be the point in joining a club of you didnt want to partake in club spins etc :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭LCRC_BAX

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Myself and the missus are hoping to head out on a beginners spin with Lucan CRC this weekend, just to give it a go. Would have joined years ago, but was always put off by the early starts for club spins. Now we're too old for nightclubs, and stay in most Fridays, so not a problem any more :-)

We're running dedicated beginners spins from 9.30am meeting at Stagg Cycles starting this Saturday. There will be 2 senior club members leading the spin which will be around 50km and average 15-16mph. We'll be glad to see you there. Once you progress you can join the regular training spins, which leave at the same time but will cover a longer distance at a higher av speed. Both Sat spins have a coffee stop weather permitting.

Joining a club will bring you on leaps and bounds in biking fitness, has a great social element and makes winter training a lot easier knowing you have a group to head out with each Sat / Sun.

IMO the comments about cycling clubs being somehow elitist and club members being unwelcoming are totally unfounded and made by ppl who have never been a member of a club and have no real intention of ever joining one, therefore it's easier for them to justify this by making silly comments with no basis of fact except urban myths.

Ehhh I never implied you were, but seeing as you appeared to question the "head out when I want" as a reason not to join I was just wondered what would be the point in joining a club of you didnt want to partake in club spins etc :confused:

Pure badness :p

LCRC_BAX wrote: »
    We're running dedicated beginners spins from 9.30am meeting at Stagg Cycles starting this Saturday. There will be 2 senior club members leading the spin which will be around 50km and average 15-16mph. We'll be glad to see you there. Once you progress you can join the regular training spins, which leave at the same time but will cover a longer distance at a higher av speed. Both Sat spins have a coffee stop weather permitting.

Joining a club will bring you on leaps and bounds in biking fitness, has a great social element and makes winter training a lot easier knowing you have a group to head out with each Sat / Sun.

IMO the comments about cycling clubs being somehow elitist and club members being unwelcoming are totally unfounded and made by ppl who have never been a member of a club and have no real intention of ever joining one, therefore it's easier for them to justify this by making silly comments with no basis of fact except urban myths.

Kms, mph. Make up your mind bax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

what's mph?

• Advertisement

what's mph?

Moans per hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I think that bears repeating.

It took me several years longer than it should have to get it together and join a club because I bought into the kind of nonsense spouted by those who've never been in a club and have spurious reasons for why. I regret having listened to those people and not joining earlier.

As it turned, out once I actually turned up to find out for myself, the people I met were invariably friendly, relaxed, informative, and in no elitist or snobbish.

Kms, mph. Make up your mind bax!

Just trying to keep old & young alike happy Lusk Doyle.

For anyone under the age of 75, 15MPH = 24KPH :)

Lumen wrote: »
    Moans per hour.

While kph is [k]crashes per hour when you ride :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Let's make one thing clear: there are no mercy killings on club spins. If you can't keep up, no one will turn around, pull out a shotgun and offer to put you out of your misery. You just turn around and head home.

It's not a team sport, so don't feel like you are letting the side down if you have to pack it in. People do it all the time for various reasons and there is nothing to be ashamed of, in fact most people won't notice. It doesn't mean you are a bad cyclist.

Most clubs post routes. Familiarize yourself with them and make sure you can find your way home solo.

You will only regret it if you dont try it.

Edit: stupid phone, that was don't not do.

niceonetom wrote: »
    As it turned, out once I actually turned up to find out for myself, the people I met were invariably friendly, relaxed, informative, and in no elitist or snobbish.

Commonly called human beings I do believe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

SWL wrote: »
    Kenmc,

I really really hope to join Orwell this month. Can you answer some queries I have?
    I am fit but maybe not cycling fit (if that makes sense); i haven’t done more than 60km this year for a number of reasons so I am a bit intimated by the distances.
    Also I am a big guy - my bike is about 14-15kg so once I hit a hill my speed reduces rapidly, how many hilly routes will the club use given its proximity to the Dublin mountains. My average speed is approximately 25kph - so will i be too slow for the beginners group?
    Regards
    SWL

Have a look at the winter spin roster here http://orwellwheelers.org/, on the right hand side, in the yellow box. it gives an indication of the route per week. the short spins are all around 60ish km, and avoid the mountains for the most part, so there'd be no hills. Last year we stopped in enniskerry or roundwood for coffee. 25km average would be a very good avg speed, and bear in mind that in a group when you're not at the front, you will be resting and yet still doing a good speed. It's like the army in that no (wo)man is left behind :)
    Feel free to come along for a couple of spins and see if you like it. There's no obligation to join up for the first couple of spins anyway, it's only if you decide to stick with it - try before you buy, so to speak! Give it a blast, nothing to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

because they go to fast is the main reason i can see, i went for a spin a few times in galway and they were going average speed 30km whereas i am comfortable around 25km, plus they dont take a break for the whole spin so if you are suffering you dont get a chance to recover

Yeah, spot on.
    I'm a member of Galway Bay Cycling Club. I'm not sure if you have been out with us but on any given Sunday morning there are 2 groups on the road (both leave from the King Fisher, NUIG). One group doing approx 60km at a pace that should be suitable for people who want to take it easy - nobody is left behind.
    The 2nd group does 100-120km and a slightly faster pace.

Both groups ALWAYS stop for a break for a coffee, food, toilet ... etc.

I was out on 2 of these 60km Sunday morning spins last Autumn with GBCC and WCW, and unfortunately alot of what is advertised and what you mention is not the case.

Yes the group that do 60km are "supposed" to have a pace of 25km but on both occassions I was out it was hitting the 30km. The group that does the 100-120km have a pace of 35km+.

Again, on both occassions I was out there was no break. Maybe a 2 minute break for some that allowed the others to catch up. So no break for some and certainly no coffee for anyone.

And on both occassions I was out I was dropped. So needless to say i went out on my own after this.

Maybe something that the clubs would consider is introducing a third group that would stick to 25km and possibly a bit under. Let the other groups go at 30km and 35km+. As it stands now you have guys in the 60km spin that are pushing it too hard and should be in the 100-120km group but maybe they feel they wouldn't be strong enough for it. Introducing this third group would solve that.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

It's not a team sport

I reckon Cav would disagree... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Terms like 'beginner' are intimidating. My 4 year old is a beginner. People are put off whatever the reality. Getting dropped is off putting to new members. It's a tricky balance to achieve, trying to let people join in and not scare them off. In reality once you go on a few spins you will realise that everyone has slower days so maybe the clubs could nominate someone to stick with those that fall off the back?
    I will be joining my local MCC next year but was foolishly too unconfident in the past. My mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

1). no free weekends
    2). speed - my avg is 22km
    3). cycle a hybrid, not exactly club material

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It's not a team sport

I reckon Cav would disagree... :)

What I was getting at is that turning around and heading home doesn't ruin it for everyone else.

jaqian wrote: »
    speed - my avg is 22km

Many clubs have slower spins. Proper slow. With coffee and cake stops.

For instance, Orwell have a "touring group". God knows what they get up to at weekends for all those hours, dogging or somesuch I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Let's make one thing clear: there are no mercy killings on club spins. If you can't keep up, no one will turn around, pull out a shotgun and offer to put you out of your misery.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Lumen wrote: »
    Many clubs have slower spins. Proper slow. With coffee and cake stops.

For instance, Orwell have a "touring group". God knows what they get up to at weekends for all those hours, dogging or somesuch I imagine.

Eh thanks. Wouldn't be interested in lots of stops (and at 17st trying to cut out the cakes), like to push myself but my fastest speed would be slow for club cyclists.

Try to head out most Wednesday with the Dublin Social Cycle Group on Facebook nice bunch but speed is not part of the ride.

Thanks but I'll stick to solo cycling so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Front row physique - check.
    Sleep in on weekends - check.
    Steel framed touring bike with full fenders, rear rack - check.
    Sometimes head out at midnight for a 40k spin in the winter rain - check.

I do like touring and recently did coast to coast with a group (epic ride, on the last day the headwind died down to only gale force :)) but I don't think I'm suited to club cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'm a night walker, no idea what my average speed is, I don't have fancy shoes/pedals or socks and my girlfriend will leave me if I shave my legs.
    I can do distance and I've spent about 4-5 hours out on the bike at a time but I think I'd be on the slower side, though I think this is down to being alone and unmotivated.
    I go a bit mad for sprints sometimes and I don't think clubs are into that.

I'm also very awkward when it comes to anything social and I'm afraid of throwing myself into things... But that's not really important I guess.

I would like to race and ride in a group, I've only started cycling this year so I've had no chance to get near a club yet, I'd love to though.
    I've been advised to go for a spin with Orwell but haven't contacted anyone yet.
    What's the protocol for this sort of thing?
    Do I just turn up or do I let some one know I'm coming?

Sorry for rambling, I also have lights on my bike...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Because:

a) I prefer cycling by myself
    b) all the H&S BS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

CianRyan wrote: »
    I've been advised to go for a spin with Orwell but haven't contacted anyone yet.What's the protocol for this sort of thing?Do I just turn up or do I let some one know I'm coming?
    Just turn up on Sunday morning at 9:30 at Joe Dalys opposite the Luas bridge in Dundrum. Last year the new folk went over to the Dundrum Shopping Centre carpark and there was a quick inspection of the bikes, e.g. brakes, tyres, tyre pressure etc then a very quick walking then cycling introduction to "up and overs" and then away we went.

Bring: Water and/or some miwadi/cordial, some cash, spare tube, tyre levers, pump, puncture repair stuff. Rain jacket stuffed in your pocket even if it's not raining, you might get cold if you're sweaty and you stop for a bit. Something to eat e.g. jellys, bars of nutrigrain or similar, mars bar etc. Don't need a whole tukshop in your pocket, but something to keep you going if you're out longer than you think you will be. Have a good brekkie e.g. porridge or muesli or omlette or similar before you leave.

You have to wear a helmet with Orwell and have drop bars, but I *think* there were a few folk on flat bar racers the very first time or 2 last year and they were tolerated to see if they liked it enough to either convert the flats to drops, or get a road bike. You don't need to have "all the fancy kit" but you will be more comfortable if you wear padded shorts, a wicking top, and gloves. Cycling tops have pockets in the back to allow you to get something to eat while on the move and not have to stop and get into your saddle bag or pockets or whatever. Toe straps are fine, but you will want to upgrade to cleats and shoes as they make a huge difference to your efficiency. You won't be out late enough to need lights just yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Plastik wrote: »
    Same here, this is the reason I didn't join Bray Wheelers in 2011. I had no plans to go racing and their weekly spins, even throughout the summer, don't start until 10 on Sat/Sun.

I want to try my hand at some racing in 2012 though so will look to join somewhere. Not sure where suits best yet.

I'm thinking the same thing. Bray seems to be the best option for me in terms of location, club size and (most importantly) they seem like nice folk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

It gives you the option to if and when you want to join in. Its not seriously expensive to join a club esp relative to other things prople spend money on.

Lots of mention on this thread of not going out because of the wind and rain - dredging around for 2hrs+ in the rain into plenty of headwind on your own isnt (always) fun. But you can shelter in a group with a club and it can be a bit more craic and make the time pass quicker.

I mainly use our club spin on bad days like that tbh.

Also there is no doubt it will improve your cycling ability (if thats what you want of course).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Went on one or two spins, did find it enjoyable and certainly made a change from going out on my own which was great.

Why I didn't join.....sadly the weekend spins clash with alot of stuff, though half the time I think I really should get off my arse and join.

However I tend to stick to the running more then cycling and with running the times are different so I can make it fit my free time much easier.

For example I can do a good long 20mile run in three hours at the weekend but the same time wouldn't be very long for cycling.
    Unlike many others rain and the likes doesn't bother me as I encounter it while running anyway,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

jaqian wrote: »
    Eh thanks. Wouldn't be interested in lots of stops (and at 17st trying to cut out the cakes), like to push myself but my fastest speed would be slow for club cyclists.

Try to head out most Wednesday with the Dublin Social Cycle Group on Facebook nice bunch but speed is not part of the ride.

Thanks but I'll stick to solo cycling so :)

I'm on the heavy side myself. I find that I can average 22 - 23kmph when I go out on my own and i can do 40km. When i go out with a group, its so much easier. I'll be up at 27 - 28kmph and we'll have done 40km before I even know it and it will be easy on the body to do the last 20km.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ronan1986

I'm thinking of joining a club as I like going on a cycle with other people, and seeing as though all my mates(without ****ing exception) are not interested in cycling at all I generally go out on my own.

I do have a few questions though that some people here might be able to help me with.

1. What clubs are in south Dublin? I'm from Tallaght, so anywhere pretty much around TAllaght, tempelogue, rathfarnham, rathmines etc would be perfect.

2. My equipment. I bought a cyclocross last year as I did a number of adventure races (gaelforce, achill roar). I know the tyres are not ideal, but if I put road tyres on, would that be a suitable bike for a beginner? Its a focus mares 2010 btw.
    Also, I have no idea what my kph is. I've never really bothered timing myself.

3. My cycling experience. Up until last year it was zero. Knew nothing about road cycling. Know slightly more now, but still clueless about most things. I typically go for one medium sized (i guess) cycle on my own of about 50Km. Basicalyy from Tallaght up over the mountain, down to Enniskerry, bit of a loop around by powerscourt then back to Tallaght thru stepaside and kilternan, rathfarnham etc..
    During the week I typically make time for a short 1 hour cycle up to Tibradden and loop back around down to Tallaght.
    Very tame indeed.

4.Fitness levels. Well i'm 25 in good health, 6ft and weigh 11.5 stone. My fitness level last year was decent I guess. As a newb I did the gaelforce in 5 hr 45 despite being on a mountainbike. Having said that, my level of fitness has probably tailed off since last year. What level of fitness is required for beginner joining up?

Thanks in advance.

5.What is expected of me as a beginner in these clubs and what are the positives of joining?

ronan1986 wrote: »
    I know the tyres are not ideal, but if I put road tyres on, would that be a suitable bike for a beginner? Its a focus mares 2010 btw.

Yes, that would be fine with road tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

After my 160km a week commute, the last place I want to be at the weekend is on a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

fletch wrote: »
    After my 160km a week commute, the last place I want to be at the weekend is on a bike.

C'mon that's only 16km each way per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Raam wrote: »
    C'mon that's only 16km each way per day.
    It's enough! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

happytramp wrote: »
    I too have been mildly put off by the thought of joining a cycling club however someone on here showed me this. These guys are starting a touring section of their club and it seems very newb friendly. It starts this Sunday with a trip out to Tara and I'm going to head along with all my shiny new Aldi gear and 10 speed racer!

http://www.sundrivetrackteam.com/ (second paragraph down)

Great thread. I'm going to check this out too, seems "beginner" friendly. See you there Happytramp. ( I'll be the other lost looking one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Speaking as someone who's just riding long enough that I'm no longer a beginner, but I can remember what it was like;

The main reason why I've chosen to go out with Orwell previously and why I'll be doing so again this year (and probably actually signing up) is the size of the club, and in particular the size of the Sunday spins.

With a smaller club who might only have a single group going out, your obvious problem is that other riders may be much quicker than you, and particularly if you're only starting out, you'll feel like you're holding everyone up, which you are. This is intimidating. This may be why there's a perception of cycling clubs being arrogant cocks.

With the larger club you have the spins split out by ability, so you're less likely to be holding anyone up, and even if you are, it's not by very much. I did do a super-beginner spin once with Orwell when I first got my road bike, and the slowest of the bunch was never more than 50m behind.
    Newbie-focussed groups will also stop more often to allow people to catch up, whereas proper club riders, riding for training, will stop at specific points and if you haven't caught up by the time they've finished their coffee, tough.

Smaller clubs will also appear "cliqueish", whereas a large club will have a big group of new people starting at the same time, so it feels less like you have to "break in" to the group.

I don't want to sound like a cheerleader for Orwell, but I actually don't know of any other clubs of that size (close to me) catering for all levels of rider. Thinkbike are a smaller club, though they are newer, so have a higher proportion of newer riders and so will be appropriate for new riders also.

Just my 2c on the whole thing.

TL;DR: Small clubs are good for riders with a few years proper road riding, large clubs are better for new riders.

The first Orwell spin this weekend, I can see being huge. Not least because of the amount of people taking up cycling but also because the weather is going to be nice.

If you are iffy about whether or not club spins would work for you, then this is probably the one to go on, as it will allow you to gauge your fitness level against a whole pile of other people.

If you're not sure what to do when you get there, aim to arrive for 9:15 and try to hang around as close to the car park at the side of the shop as possible.
    They need a megaphone, but don't have one, so if you stand too far away you'll hear shouting but have no idea what's being said. If you don't catch something, don't be afraid to ask someone else. Don't worry too much about getting chatting to people at the start, once you get out on the road you ride two abreast the whole way so there's ample chatting going on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement