Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are you not a member of a cycling club?

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

seamus wrote: »
    Smaller clubs will also appear "cliqueish", whereas a large club will have a big group of new people starting at the same time, so it feels less like you have to "break in" to the group.

I think that's a bit of sweeping generalisation. I tried one of the ThinkBike beginner spins last year and found them very welcoming and inclusive. Possibly down to the fact that they were / are a newer club trying to build their membership, where every new face was clearly important to them. The group I ended up with who'd been with the club that bit longer were very relaxed and the style of cycling was very casual. If their road spin wasn't early on hangover Sunday, I'd have certainly stuck with the group, as it is I often see them coming back when I'm on my way out.

Orwell would be nearer for me, but being on a hybrid was a non-runner. Having done their randonee over the summer, they certainly seem like a great club and nice crew. I've yet to come across the roadies who are arrogant cocks, tbh, though some of them have pretty bright plumage ;)

For anyone looking to join a club, its probably worth trying all the local ones in your area to see what suits best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Just to say that, while all are welcome to try Orwell out, it's worth bearing in mind that there can be slight downsides to the sheer size of the club, at least for a newcomer on their first spin or two.

For example, if new faces turn up in droves (as has been happening for the last couple of years - hey I was one myself) it's easy for them to be overlooked, particularly if they're a bit shy or intimidated. In a smaller club newbs might be spotted more easily and welcomed a bit more loudly but when you have 100+ people and bikes all milling around a car park on a chilly morning it's inevitable that some will feel ignored or uncatered for.

There are several groups, the exact number varying with how many turn up, but no real way of ensuring that people end up in the right one. New riders should be honest with themselves and the more experienced club members about their abilities and what they want to do. Most get it right and go with the correct group but some will always end up in a group that's too fast or slow and end up frustrated. The thing to do is to learn form tat experience and move to the _right_ group the next time rather than just deciding all clubs are crap.

Orwell is changing the naming system for spins now so they'll be graded according to length and avg speed rather than by somewhat ambiguous names like step-up (from what to what?) or intermediate. Hopefully this'll make it easier for new people to get in the right bunch and enjoy themselves.

It's worth saying too, that there are other clubs. Orwell has become a bit of a monster, a supermassiveblackhole hoovering up noobs and with each year of growth the hoover effect gets bigger in a terrifying self-stoking cycle that threatens to consume the entire universe. So maybe think about Lucan or something. They seem ok(ish).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Raam wrote: »
    C'mon that's only 16km each way per day.
    It's all down to how long that 16km takes you : it is good ITT distance, contre la montre...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

I'm looking to join a group in North Dublin and was wondering whether Swords CC starting a beginner group/spins? Do I just show up or do I need to contact someone? Also which group do I show up to/ get in contact with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I think its cool to see 'unattached' riders high up in race results lists. I've often wondered why and if they get pestered to join clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Kav0777 wrote: »
    I'm looking to join a group in North Dublin and was wondering whether Swords CC starting a beginner group/spins? Do I just show up or do I need to contact someone? Also which group do I show up to/ get in contact with?

I hope to join Swords CC in the next month or two, and have been out with them a good few times over the summer. There's a touring group (9.15am Saturday - Lord mayor's, Main St, Swords) which is a very gentle introduction to cycling with a club. They're friendly and won't leave you behind. They stop in nice places for tea. I just showed up on spec and was given a friendly welcome. There's also a group which goes from Blake's cross at 8.30am on Saturdays. This group is much faster, and if you're dropped you're on your own.
    Sundays at 9am there's a meet-up at the lord mayors and two groups emerge, one fast and one slow.
    I'd recommend just showing up and giving it a go. Bring a fiver to cover your tea/scone. Start with the touring group if you're not fast or used to being in a group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

I prefer to cycle alone for enjoyment and dont race so dont need a club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

seamus wrote: »
    I don't want to sound like a cheerleader for Orwell, but I actually don't know of any other clubs of that size (close to me) catering for all levels of rider.
    niceonetom wrote: »
    So maybe think about Lucan or something. They seem ok(ish).

I was just going to say that, Lucan has track champions from under-age to veteran, as well as both road racing and touring and sportief targeting groups. While not as big as Orwell, the club definitely has sufficient numbers to support all categories of cycling, including people that just go out on club spins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Idleater wrote: »
    I was just going to say that, Lucan has track champions from under-age to veteran, as well as both road racing and touring and sportief targeting groups. While not as big as Orwell, the club definitely has sufficient numbers to support all categories of cycling, including people that just go out on club spins.

Yes, I hear they are big on drafting in new members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

Mostly I think I just couldn't be arsed. 60km spins don't warrant a coffee break, which only leave you cold and having to warm up again. Some of the group are saying slow down, go easy, others are pushing on like it's the Tour. Mostly i'm a triathlete, so always race using the no drafting rule, therefore training on my own is better for me than training in a bunch. I do like racing, but the cost of racing licence is ridiculous (€120/year i think)

I definitly think there is a 'who has the best' pissing contest going on too. I've tried spin outs with three or four different clubs, it's just not for me.

• Advertisement

ratracer wrote: »
    I definitly think there is a 'who has the best' pissing contest going on too. I've tried spin outs with three or four different clubs, it's just not for me.

Who has the best what? Gear? Doesn't happen a lot in winter really.

If it's who has the best in terms of ability, name me one sport where people don't try and show off how good they either are or think they are?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Who has the best what? Gear? Doesn't happen a lot in winter really.

If it's who has the best in terms of ability, name me one sport where people don't try and show off how good they either are or think they are?

Yep, gear mostly. As one poster has put it here, in the winter it happens in reverse, i.e why have you no winter hack, or worse still, is that you're winter bike??

There are showboaters in every sport, this thread only asks about cycling.

I'm only giving my opinion of my experiences, just because you might not like them doesn't mean their not true or valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I do like racing, but the cost of racing licence is ridiculous (€120/year i think)

Your taking the p'iss surely? I ve seen triathlon entry fees and they are ridiculous. Add to that the cost of running gear, swimming gear and cycling gear.

You can do 50+ races a year for your €120+a fiver a go

Yep, gear mostly. As one poster has put it here, in the winter it happens in reverse, i.e why have you no winter hack, or worse still, is that you're winter bike??

There are showboaters in every sport, this thread only asks about cycling.

I'm only giving my opinion of my experiences, just because you might not like them doesn't mean their not true or valid.

Easy there, I never said it wasn't true, but it's just your perception after all. Cycling is all about gear though, whether or not you can back it up with the legs is a different matter.

Is it really that offensive when someone shows off their new wheels to the bunch? I mean, you can either say "nice wheels" or just laugh.

Yes, I'm aware this is about cycling, my point was that "pissing contests" exist in nearly every sport, machismo is at the root of all competition. Showing you are the best and the strongest is why people really do it at a competitive level. If that's not for you, fair enough, but I wouldn't describe it as some sort of flaw exclusive to cycling.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I do like racing, but the cost of racing licence is ridiculous (€120/year i think)

Your taking the p'iss surely? I ve seen triathlon entry fees and they are ridiculous. Add to that the cost of running gear, swimming gear and cycling gear.

You can do 50+ races a year for your €120+a fiver a go

I don't disagree with you there either. Tri race entry fees are ridiculous also, but TI membership is €50, for 'insurance' which if needed is actually sh!t.

Do members of CI get better value for €120 per year? Do cycling clubs get subsidised for putting on races? I'm not being smart, i don't have the answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Mostly i'm a triathlete

I think I see the root of the problem ... :D

Junior wrote: »
    I think I see the root of the problem ... :D
    And here comes another pissing contest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Yes, I hear they are big on drafting in new members.

Ringers no? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

Was in a mountain bike club many years ago, thinking of doing some NPS series races next year, so will defo join a club, just not sure weather to join a road club or mtb club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I love to cycle, enjoy doing sportives and taking the odd holiday with the bike but would have always considered that a club would be geared towards racing which I wouldn't really be interested in. Happy to do my own thing at my own pace I suppose. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I don't go cycling with a club because I'd have to talk to people :D I used to go out with a few others but I got rid of them. Much more enjoyable on my own...don't have to stop for coffee, or wait for late-comers or stop at the top of hills for people to catch-up, or make any decision to even go out at a particular time until 10 mins before I leave the house ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

the reason i dont is because i smoke 20 fags a day...no cycling for me

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

i have been giving it serious thought this year.. up til now ive been more of a lone wolf and enjoy spins by myself. but ive started cycling in groups more this year and once i got used to all the 'hole' shouting ive started to enjoy it. ( <--that looks really dodgey)

i think all the club bashing is nonsense. ive been on a few sportiffs at this stage and ive always found the club riders very encouraging and good for advice. when i started cycling i did find there was something intimidating about a club rider barreling past on his fancy bike with all the gear on, but i think that says more about me than them. i was talking to someone recently about this and we came to the conclusion that the problem was the sunglasses. films have taught us that bad guys wear sunglasses

lastly, i was hoping to head out on sunday for the first orwell spin and maybe join up, but it clashes with the italy game. this is also why i havent managed to join a club so far. except this time ill be going to the pub at 8am instead of leaving it at 3am :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Malari wrote: »
    I used to go out with a few others but I got rid of them.

:shiver:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

mahoo wrote: »
    lastly, i was hoping to head out on sunday for the first orwell spin and maybe join up, but it clashes with the italy game. this is also why i havent managed to join a club so far. except this time ill be going to the pub at 8am instead of leaving it at 3am :D

Computar--Ganz--CBC-America-CTR-024N-2-24-Hour-Timelapse-VCR_ctr-024n-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

the reason i dont is because i smoke 20 fags a day...no cycling for me
    My most regular cycling buddy has a fag at the top of most hills on our Saturday morning escapades.

I am in a club but work and wanting to go to wicklow at the weekends have gotten in the way of participating in any activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

kenmc wrote: »
    Just turn up on Sunday morning at 9:30 at Joe Dalys opposite the Luas bridge in Dundrum. Last year the new folk went over to the Dundrum Shopping Centre carpark and there was a quick inspection of the bikes, e.g. brakes, tyres, tyre pressure etc then a very quick walking then cycling introduction to "up and overs" and then away we went.

Sounds like a plan for next week in that case.
    I've promised my gf we'd go to the DSPCA this week. :rolleyes:
    Bring: Water and/or some miwadi/cordial, some cash, spare tube, tyre levers, pump, puncture repair stuff. Rain jacket stuffed in your pocket even if it's not raining, you might get cold if you're sweaty and you stop for a bit. Something to eat e.g. jellys, bars of nutrigrain or similar, mars bar etc. Don't need a whole tukshop in your pocket, but something to keep you going if you're out longer than you think you will be. Have a good brekkie e.g. porridge or muesli or omlette or similar before you leave.

Handy enough, this what I'd usually have with me anyway.
    You have to wear a helmet with Orwell and have drop bars, but I *think* there were a few folk on flat bar racers the very first time or 2 last year and they were tolerated to see if they liked it enough to either convert the flats to drops, or get a road bike. You don't need to have "all the fancy kit" but you will be more comfortable if you wear padded shorts, a wicking top, and gloves. Cycling tops have pockets in the back to allow you to get something to eat while on the move and not have to stop and get into your saddle bag or pockets or whatever. Toe straps are fine, but you will want to upgrade to cleats and shoes as they make a huge difference to your efficiency. You won't be out late enough to need lights just yet :)

Well I've a proper drop bar bike, gloves, bib's and jerseys so all I'm missing, as said, is the fancy shoes/pedals.
    21st next week though and I'm looking to get a new bike and of course, proper road shoes.

I just pointed out the lights to let it be known that my bike is also my car! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

mahoo wrote: »
    we came to the conclusion that the problem was the sunglasses
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

ronan1986 wrote: »
    2. My equipment. I bought a cyclocross last year as I did a number of adventure races (gaelforce, achill roar). I know the tyres are not ideal, but if I put road tyres on, would that be a suitable bike for a beginner? Its a focus mares 2010 btw.
    Yes, thats what I did.
    ronan1986 wrote: »
    4.Fitness levels. Well i'm 25 in good health, 6ft and weigh 11.5 stone. My fitness level last year was decent I guess. As a newb I did the gaelforce in 5 hr 45 despite being on a mountainbike. Having said that, my level of fitness has probably tailed off since last year. What level of fitness is required for beginner joining up?
    You will be fine, at your age and weight, you should be absolutely flying in no time at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

CianRyan wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan for next week in that case.
    I've promised my gf we'd go to the DSPCA this week. :rolleyes:
    I happen to know that they're open both days, and until around 5 or so as well! :) ALSO, it's a nice wee cycle up there too, and they don't mind you bringing your bike inside....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I keep meaning to join a cycling club and now that the sportive season is over I most likely will to keep the motivation going, which is lagging a bit at the moment, tbh.

Also I plan on starting racing next year and presume that this is the best time of year to join a club with the racing season over and the winter training starting. Or is it the same training year round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I happen to know that they're open both days, and until around 5 or so as well! :) ALSO, it's a nice wee cycle up there too, and they don't mind you bringing your bike inside....

She doesn't appreciated me disappearing in the morning and leaving her alone in my house for a few hours OR hills when it comes to bikes. She likes animals and food and not much else. Haha

Definitely on for next Sunday though, I should be grand with the speed/distance really, I just like scaring myself.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Dubba wrote: »
    I...presume that this is the best time of year to join a club with the racing season over and the winter training starting

Yes. Racing ties up a lot of organisational resources in the summer, so new members are more welcome this time of year.

Also, getting a few months of fast group riding done before the racing season starts again will make you safer for racing, which is more important than how strong your legs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

Computar--Ganz--CBC-America-CTR-024N-2-24-Hour-Timelapse-VCR_ctr-024n-2.jpg

but is there a pub on my bike?

edit... just noticed thats a 24 hour timelapse recorder. dont think it would capture the flow of the game very well. i guess its a form of edited highlights ;-p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Thanks for all the replies guys, all stuff we can go over and tackle in making an effort to get more people to join our clubs.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement