Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

clothing advise - jacket or jersey?

• 27-09-2011 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm very confused about clothing for the coming months. I am commuting about 3 times a week at the moment but I'm going to stop when the dark comes around in about a month and I suppose I am not planning of being out there at -2 during the "ice season" either...
    I usually wear a base layer (or two) and a LIDL waterproof cycling jacket, but I am way too hot and sweaty when i get to work considering I do 25k in about an hour with a backpack
    I am looking at buying something to substitute that LIDL cheap jacket, but i am very confused...
    should I look for a jacket or maybe one of those thermal long sleeve jersey would do? maybe with the option of having a very light rain jacket in the back pocket???

please help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

A base layer under one of these is adequate for most weather conditions. If its cold enough that you need a jacket, its probably too icey to be out on the road anyway! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

07Lapierre wrote: »
    If its cold enough that you need a jacket, its probably too icey to be out on the road anyway! :D

Unless you're Raam or Mrs Raam "I don't understand why I fell and smashed myself up. It wasn't that icey." During the worst weather seen in 40-sum years!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

A good quality windtex jacket is equivalent to two layers of jersey or body armour. So if you are riding at a good tempo you should not need any more than 3 layers. The big difference between what you have now and the jacket or jersey is the wicking property or breathability which has the effect of keeping you dry yet warm. I think I saw a post on here that Aldi are selling some jackets tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

07Lapierre wrote: »
    A base layer under one of these is adequate for most weather conditions. If its cold enough that you need a jacket, its probably too icey to be out on the road anyway! :D

thanks, I'll camp outside ALDI tomorrow night and see if I can get my hands on one of those winter jackets...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

A good quality windtex jacket is equivalent to two layers of jersey or body armour. So if you are riding at a good tempo you should not need any more than 3 layers. The big difference between what you have now and the jacket or jersey is the wicking property or breathability which has the effect of keeping you dry yet warm. I think I saw a post on here that Aldi are selling some jackets tomorrow.

so is it a thermal jersey the same thing of a windtex jacket ???
    see.. I get confused 'cos even on CRC if you look for bike jackets or road jerseys sometimes you get the same result!!!
    What's the difference?
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Aldi also have some compression base layers on sale on Thursday too.

Advertisement