Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Coquilles-Saint Jacques

Options
  • 27-09-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Saw that Lidl are having a "French Week" and as part of it, they are selling Coquilles-Saint Jacques. As far as I know its scallops in some fancy shell.I love scallops and rarely have them, so went in to Lidl last night to pick them up for someting different and they were all sold out:( Same thing again today.
    Now I'm intrigued, either they are AMAZING or everyone is just buying them for the novelty but maybe they aren't that nice after all.

Has anyone tried them??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

ElectraX wrote: »
    Saw that Lidl are having a "French Week" and as part of it, they are selling Coquilles-Saint Jacques. As far as I know its scallops in some fancy shell.I love scallops and rarely have them, so went in to Lidl last night to pick them up for someting different and they were all sold out:( Same thing again today.
    Now I'm intrigued, either they are AMAZING or everyone is just buying them for the novelty but maybe they aren't that nice after all.

Has anyone tried them??

I haven't seen the ones in Lidl but if they are prepared like the classic recipe then it should be like Lobster Thermidor if you're familiar with that. Usually it's scallops sauteed in a white wine and mushroom cream sauce and topped with cheesy breadcrumbs and baked on the half shell.

The thing is though, the scallops that you find in the freezers of supermarkets tend to be beam trawled which is the most destructive method of food production that humans have ever devised so I wouldn't go near them. I would recommend getting some nice king scallops from a good fishmonger and preparing it yourself. Much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    I would recommend getting some nice king scallops from a good fishmonger and preparing it yourself. Much better.

I'm always nervous of buying scallops cause they are quite easy to overcook, and they aren't exactly the cheapest, so ya wanna get them right:rolleyes: They are amazing if they are done properly...first thing I'd order if I see them on a menu:D
    More just want to try the Lidl ones for the novelty, except seems the whole of Dublin has the same idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I don't think I've eaten these (but I might have), one way or the other they didn't look very appealing (it may have been that someone had ripped open a box in lidl). From memory they consisted of a tiny piece of scallop with a little sauce on top (in a shell).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

ElectraX wrote: »
    I'm always nervous of buying scallops cause they are quite easy to overcook, and they aren't exactly the cheapest, so ya wanna get them right:rolleyes: They are amazing if they are done properly...first thing I'd order if I see them on a menu:D
    More just want to try the Lidl ones for the novelty, except seems the whole of Dublin has the same idea!

There's not much to be nervous about. It's not much more difficult than any other shellfish. The trick with scallops is to treat it like a steak. Some light seasoning, a rub of oil and a quick sear (no more than a minute) and prepare your accompaniment (e.g. pea puree, black pudding, sauce) separately. A griddle pan will help immensely. Oh, and remove the coral before you start because they cook at different rates. If you want you can cook them off separately in some flavoured butter to add as a garnish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I had them before - they've had them in a few times before when their French Week comes around - and didn't think they were great; somewhat bland. You could make much nicer yourself.

The "French Week" salami with walnuts is very good, though, and if you haven't had it before try the Flammkuchen (like an ultra-thin pizza).

• Advertisement
Advertisement