Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unlicensed installers

Options
  • 27-09-2011 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

I have the impression that they operate almost with impunity.
    Does it take years for a prosecution to take place and the fines are small?
    what do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

what do you guys think?

We love paying the licence/certification fees and jumping through all the hoops only to be undercut by a cowboy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

what do you guys think?

They wont prosecute unless they know they will get a conviction.
    Not good for us in the trade paying all the fees but they still get there money so they cant loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

it's up to you to report rouge installers.
    Our license money seems to go in to door security enforcement and inspections

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Jnealon wrote: »
    Even that is not enforced as well as it should be IMO.

Jnealon wrote: »

Looking at there website thats exactly where all our money is going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Silly question, but would it not all be solved if the equipment suppliers were only allowed to sell to licensed installers and perhaps the odd DIYer (maybe that might be an issue in itself though)?

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Silly question, but would it not all be solved if the equipment suppliers were only allowed to sell to licensed installers and perhaps the odd DIYer (maybe that might be an issue in itself though)?

Its all well and good saying that its the people who supply the systems that should only sell to licensed installers but there point would be that alarm systems can be bought online and that would be classed as putting there business at a disadvantage to other suppliers so that would not be allowed. They are the suppliers, not the enforcers and I personally don't think the blame should rest with them.

The only way I can see it working is if the PSA get out there on the street and find out who installed any alarm that is reported or has a blank bell box. If the customer says they installed the alarm themselves, then they should be able to show receipts for the equipment, bank statements and so on. If they don't have these then they should be held accountable. Its is the law but this is not enforced as it should be. I would have no problem with any person installing there own alarm (look at all the people who we have practically helped here install there own system) but if a person is going around like is happening everyday installing systems with no licence to do so then they should be prosecuted. That is where the PSA should be stepping in. There has being enough reported but all we here back is it is under investigation, and then after a few weeks there was not enough evidence. We pay a lot of money to work in this industry and we deserve better of the people who police it.

I would like to see them do something.
    When I go in to my suppliers Mr unlicensed is at the counter buying 5 panels, blank bells etc etc, that is just wrong

Yes it is wrong and I see it also when in the suppliers but you cant blame them as they are just supplying equipment, that is what they are there for, not enforcing the law.

It is the law that is not being enforced by the PSA. If you know and report someone for installing an alarm system then they should be doing something about it. They don't as far as I can see, that is why there are so many systems installed by non registered installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Cost money to put inspectors on the road, like other licenced areas the numbers paying for PSA licences are probably down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not good enough. They are been handed details of unlicensed installers on a plate & they still won't get off their rears & get them. Its just excuse after excuse with them.
    Apparently now, although its illegal for an unlicensed installer to advertise, its impossible to do anything about it unless you prove they paid for the advert, printing etc.....:eek::confused:
    Like someone else is going to advertise for them:mad:

sundula wrote: »
    Cost money to put inspectors on the road, like other licenced areas the numbers paying for PSA licences are probably down.

Yes it does cost money and you are correct in saying that. The amount of installers is on the increase going by all the installers on the list. If you count all the installers who have paid there money for the licence €2250.00 can you tell me how much that comes to ? Here is the list ;)

KoolKid wrote: »
    Not good enough. They are been handed details of unlicensed installers on a plate & they still won't get off their rears & get them. Its just excuse after excuse with them.
    Apparently now, although its illegal for an unlicensed installer to advertise, its impossible to do anything about it unless you prove they paid for the advert, printing etc.....:eek::confused:
    Like someone else is going to advertise for them:mad:

All true but it costs money to take a court case against someone and unless you have a good chance of winning any legal expert will tell you not to do it.
    We are talking about the dept of justice after all

These guys and their customers are acting illegally.
    If I handed out leaflets and set up a website selling drugs do you think the Guards would take the same view?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Does that mean genuine installers pay fees to catch people who aren't genuine? Does the licence just mean they've been trained to install this equipment properly?

It sounds like you're all saying that you pay fees to catch the ones who do not pay fees.. the fee being a licence. I'm pretty sure I have it all wrong!

The PSA licence means you have be vetted by them and you have obtained the standard EN50131 off the certification body you use to install alarms.

I am sure if the PSA had there way we would be doing that, it does at the end of the day come down to them to bring a case to court, not us.

Advertisement