Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breeding

• 27-09-2011 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi i brought my bichon frise to her stud last week, it was both their first time. They tied for about 30 mins. Now my bichon is very sick. Had her at vet last night she has infection in her girly bits, she is very swollen and raw with brown discharge, she is on high dose of antibiotics and painkillers. We dont know if she is pregnant and vet said just to hope infection hasnt travelled to her uterus.
    Has anyone here ever experienced anything like this before im very worried
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Was the stud dog health checked before hand?
    Time will tell if the antibiotics work, just try to keep her warm and comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Did you see vet health certs for the male? Was he health tested? Is your female health tested?

You wont know she is pregnant anyway for at least another 4-5 weeks.

I hope she doesnt have Pyometra as this is very serious. How old is your bitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭elainesnuffles

Was the stud dog health checked before hand?
    Time will tell if the antibiotics work, just try to keep her warm and comfortable.
    Hi thanks for replying i didnt get the stud checked because he,s a neighbours house dog he is fully vaccinated

andreac wrote: »
    Did you see vet health certs for the male? Was he health tested? Is your female health tested?

You wont know she is pregnant anyway for at least another 4-5 weeks.

I hope she doesnt have Pyometra as this is very serious. How old is your bitch?[/Quote
    Shes 15 mths old, neither were health checked]
    i know now i was careless and am sorry i tried to breed her

Fully vaccinated counts for nothing. Those vaccinations are nothing to do with breeding and the internal infections or health problems your dog can pick up through breeding.

Its very irresponsible to even consider breeding your dog without making sure both parents are health tested, and this is not just being vaccinated.

Also, 15 months is very young to breed your dog. Why are you breeding, are you keeping a pup?

• Advertisement

Fully vaccinated counts for nothing. Those vaccinations are nothing to do with breeding and the internal infections or health problems your dog can pick up through breeding.

Its very irresponsible to even consider breeding your dog without making sure both parents are health tested, and this is not just being vaccinated.

Also, 15 months is very young to breed your dog. Why are you breeding, are you keeping a pup?
    I accept full responsibility, thought she would b ok at 2nd heat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I have no idea why you were breeding this dog. A person who doesn't know the slightest bit about these health risks has no business breeding dogs.

I really hope your dog is going to be ok.

Best thing to do is to get her spayed once she recovers from the infection she has picked up. Hope its a tough lesson to learn, that unless you are experienced in breeding and fully know of all the do's and donts, then you should not be breeding.

How do you know your dog is even suitable for breeding, she could be passing on serious health conditions to her puppies if she has some. Unless you know your dog is fully health tested and an excellent example of its breed, you should not even contemplate breeding your dog.

There are more than enough back yard breeders out there without adding to the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think the OP has already said she knows now that it was a mistake and takes full responsibility.

January wrote: »
    I think the OP has already said she knows now that it was a mistake and takes full responsibility.
    Yes it was a mistake and i did research on internet. I hope now she is not pregnant and if not will b getting her spayed. Didnt know there was so much to breeding. Just thought nature would take its course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Once the discharge has stopped and the infection gone, your vet will probably spay her after a week or two. Give them a call and have a chat.
    Hope she's ok, sadly the internet isn't a great place for info, the dangers can be glossed over or played down. Lots of research and a mentor for breeding are the best bet(after all the health tests, etc), hope your dog is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You can get her a special injection that will stop her from being pregnant... although think it might be too late for that now, but the vet might agree to do a spay while she's pregnant, this will also get rid of the pups... Had you new homes for all the pups to go to or were you planning on selling the afterwards? What was going to happen if you couldn't sell them?

Was there a specific reason you wanted to breed your bitch?

Breeding dog should not be about nature taking its course. Breeding should only be done by experts who are experienced in that field and know exactly what they are doing. Also, breeding is about improving the quality of a certain breed and if dogs are not health tested then this is not possible.

Im amazed at the amount of people who think because they own a pedigree dog, think they have to breed it:( (This is not just aimed at you, its in general)

If you researched enough, you would have found information on health testing and all the different health problems relating to each breed and to make sure these are carried out on both parents.

Some dogs have eye problems, others have hip and elbow problems so should be hip scored, some have to be heart tested and so on. Every breed is different so this is why its so important to research and see what problems your breed suffers from and make sure the relevent tests are done before even considering breeding.

mymo wrote: »
    Once the discharge has stopped and the infection gone, your vet will probably spay her after a week or two. Give them a call and have a chat.
    Hope she's ok, sadly the internet isn't a great place for info, the dangers can be glossed over or played down. Lots of research and a mentor for breeding are the best bet(after all the health tests, etc), hope your dog is ok.
    Theres actually not a lot of discharge only wen vet pressed it. Its just very swollen and raw, brought her to groomer today just to get the back of her shaved to keep her clean. Please god she,ll b ok she,s not a breeding dog, shes a pet that follows me everywhere and sleeps on my bed

January wrote: »
    You can get her a special injection that will stop her from being pregnant... although think it might be too late for that now, but the vet might agree to do a spay while she's pregnant, this will also get rid of the pups... Had you new homes for all the pups to go to or were you planning on selling the afterwards? What was going to happen if you couldn't sell them?
    Had buyers waiting and the studs owners were taking one pup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Sadly OP this happens far too often. I know so many people who like you thought that there is very little when it comes to breeding and it often ends in tragedy. I have had countless people come up to me and ask me if my dog have covered any bitches recently as they wanted to have a puppy. When I tell them that I got my dog neutered he is a pet and I don't have the time nor -proper knowledge for breeding I do not get a good reaction. I have literally been called a f'n idiot cause I could have made so much money out of breeding him.

Real breeders take pride in their dogs not the money that they make from them. However I sincerely commend you for taking responsibility as many people would not consider doing so for a second, but sadly you had to learn the lesson the hard way. Keep her warm, pamper her a bit and follow your vets instructions to the letter, if she is getting any worse do not hesitate to call your vet and bring her back in as she could get pyometra which is a serious condition. Best of luck with everything OP I really hope that your dog gets well soon.

Was there a specific reason you wanted to breed your bitch?

Breeding dog should not be about nature taking its course. Breeding should only be done by experts who are experienced in that field and know exactly what they are doing. Also, breeding is about improving the quality of a certain breed and if dogs are not health tested then this is not possible.

Im amazed at the amount of people who think because they own a pedigree dog, think they have to breed it:( (This is not just aimed at you, its in general)

If you researched enough, you would have found information on health testing and all the different health problems relating to each breed and to make sure these are carried out on both parents.

Some dogs have eye problems, others have hip and elbow problems so should be hip scored, some have to be heart tested and so on. Every breed is different so this is why its so important to research and see what problems your breed suffers from and make sure the relevent tests are done before even considering breeding.
    I know i cut corners but am prepared now to pay whatever it costs to make her better

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Sadly OP this happens far too often. I know so many people who like you thought that there is very little when it comes to breeding and it often ends in tragedy. I have had countless people come up to me and ask me if my dog have covered any bitches recently as they wanted to have a puppy. When I tell them that I got my dog neutered he is a pet and I don't have the time nor -proper knowledge for breeding I do not get a good reaction. I have literally been called a f'n idiot cause I could have made so much money out of breeding him.

Real breeders take pride in their dogs not the money that they make from them. However I sincerely commend you for taking responsibility as many people would not consider doing so for a second, but sadly you had to learn the lesson the hard way. Keep her warm, pamper her a bit and follow your vets instructions to the letter, if she is getting any worse do not hesitate to call your vet and bring her back in as she could get pyometra which is a serious condition. Best of luck with everything OP I really hope that your dog gets well soon.
    Thanks for ur kind wishes, and i will take full responsibilty and plenty of pampering

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

Sorry to hear things have gone badly - you seem to have acted quickly by taking her to the vet which is good - hopefully the antiboitics will do the trick. Good luck !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Glad you've had a change of heart. Hope the pooch recovers well, if worried at all about her of if you feel she's not improving have the vet check her over again just for peace of mind.

A good idea would be to contact the people who you have on the list to buy any pups and advise them all on where to go and what to look out for when buying a pup so that they don't just go to the next person round the corner and buy the first pup they see. Explain the whole thing about IKC reg. health checks and pedigree line etc.

• Advertisement

Glad you've had a change of heart. Hope the pooch recovers well, if worried at all about her of if you feel she's not improving have the vet check her over again just for peace of mind.

A good idea would be to contact the people who you have on the list to buy any pups and advise them all on where to go and what to look out for when buying a pup so that they don't just go to the next person round the corner and buy the first pup they see. Explain the whole thing about IKC reg. health checks and pedigree line etc.
    Will do, thanks

Will do, thanks
    Forgot to mention both dogs are ikc registered wouldnt that mean that they were tested for genetic faults etc.... ?

Forgot to mention both dogs are ikc registered wouldnt that mean that they were tested for genetic faults etc.... ?

Nope not at all. IKC registered means nothign really regarding health. Being IKC registered is only a piece of paper showing the pedigree of the dogs, mother father etc and the person who bred it, nothing more.

Its up to the owners to do all the health tests on their dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

No, sadly it does not. I feel so sorry for you and hope it all works out well. What people are talking about here is not genetic faults but STDs that may have happened, or it could be two inexperienced dogs with inexperienced owners allowing an injury to happen during mating.
    Things went wrong, you are looking for advice and fair play to you for that

Meteoric wrote: »
    No, sadly it does not. I feel so sorry for you and hope it all works out well. What people are talking about here is not genetic faults but STDs that may have happened, or it could be two inexperienced dogs with inexperienced owners allowing an injury to happen during mating.
    Things went wrong, you are looking for advice and fair play to you for that
    Hi just to update ye all , my dog was at vet today, pregnancy has been confirmed, and all is well, got lots of info from my vet, but i forgot to ask him one tiny detail that ye might b able to help me with? Do i continue using her harness to walk her, or will it get uncomfortable with her expanding waistline, she doesnt like collars, she chokes herself!
    Thanks and please no more lectures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Hi just to update ye all , my dog was at vet today, pregnancy has been confirmed, and all is well, got lots of info from my vet, but i forgot to ask him one tiny detail that ye might b able to help me with? Do i continue using her harness to walk her, or will it get uncomfortable with her expanding waistline, she doesnt like collars, she chokes herself!

Great to see that you were genuine and took on board all the advice you were given. But hey, theres money to be made, so carry on, why would you bother getting your poor dog spayed, after all she's not a breeding dog is she, she's a pet, obviously you didn't mean that when you posted it. I hope for her sake that the pregnancy and the whelping go well and that she doesn't lose her life for the sake of a few euros.

Its great to see more pups being born to unhealth tested parents, oh, just in time for Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

You can't be serious OP? After ignoring the advice given to spay ASAP you come back looking for more help and request "no more lectures"?

What happened to taking responsibility and admitting she is not a breeding dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Please dont come onto an animal loving thread ask for advice... ignore it.... the come on AGAIN looking for advice... and say "no more lectures" its insulting to other animnals lovers.

Your dog has NOT been health tested, being IKC registered means nothing when it comes to breeding.....you are breeding a dog for the sake of it with total disregard to her health, the health of the pups of the FACT that ireland is far too over popluated with dogs .... yet another back yard breeder. :confused:

Fantastic... more litters being born for the christmas rush.... when will people ever learn :mad:....

cocker5 wrote: »

Please dont come onto an animal loving thread ask for advice... ignore it.... the come on AGAIN looking for advice... and say "no more lectures" its insulting to other animnals lovers.

Your dog has NOT been health tested, being IKC registered means nothing when it comes to breeding.....you are breeding a dog for the sake of it with total disregard to her health, the health of the pups of the FACT that ireland is far too over popluated with dogs .... yet another back yard breeder. :confused:

Fantastic... more litters being born for the christmas rush.... when will people ever learn :mad:....
    Complete and utter bull**** as my vet himself phrased it last nite, he said she is a beautiful healthy dog ,well groomed and in great health. He saw nothing at all wrong with her having a litter of pups. And for ye smartasses the pups wont b ready for xmas! Can ye clever people not add? Thanks for the abuse, but my dog is well cared for and all pups will be chipped and ikc registered.

• Advertisement

Complete and utter bull**** as my vet himself phrased it last nite, he said she is a beautiful healthy dog ,well groomed and in great health. He saw nothing at all wrong with her having a litter of pups. And for ye smartasses the pups wont b ready for xmas! Can ye clever people not add? Thanks for the abuse, but my dog is well cared for and all pups will be chipped and ikc registered.

Sorry, but being a beautiful well groomed dog has nothing got to do with health testing the breed for breed problems, seriously!!

Of course you think your dog is beautiful, everyone thinks their dog is beautiful, doesnt make them good enough to breed from!!!

If your vet sees nothing wrong with your bitch having a litter of pups for the sake of it and because your dog is well groomed, well then i just dont know anymore, words fail me.... Thankfully i dont go to your vet with my dogs.....

Wow chipped and registered, exactly the same what the puppy farmers can do for their puppies:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement