Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITV Use ARMA 2 Footage to show IRA shooting a helicopter

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

:eek:

What. The. F*ck! That's gas. The youtube comments are hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 KPSWebsites

Before anyone says its fake. It's not heres the original footage ITV thought was real XD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJDeipvpjGQ

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i love you arma :D

just proves: " what a bunch of fecking idiots in media, when it comes to video games" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

More from PC GAMER: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/09/27/itv-documentary-cant-tell-the-difference-between-gaming-and-reality-mistakes-arma-2-for-secret-ira-film/

Update: Here’s a youtube video that appears to be the same footage. I think we can start to understand how this happened.
    (via the Bohemia forums)
    Update 2:
    We’ve been in touch with Bohemia Interactive’s CEO, Marek Spanel. He tells us that Bohemia weren’t approached by ITV for permission to use the footage, and had no idea that Arma 2 was appearing in a war documentary on British TV. Understandably, they’re quite surprised. “We are going to try to get some explanation from ITV how this could have happenned,” says Spanel.
    “Sometimes creativity and realism in our games lead into crazy results and this is one of such example. I just briefly watched the entire documentary and I still can not believe it as it is overall very serious and lenghtly feature,” he adds.
    “We are surprised our games apparently may look real enough to some users already that they can not tell it is not real life footage.”
    We’ve reached out to ITV for comment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

That's fcuken hilarious, retarded UK media

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Where's the evidence that this footage was actually broadcast by ITV?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It's heartbreaking really. Just when we thought we could finally put the dark days of the Troubles behind us for good, it turned out the IRA had the Princess in a different castle. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Fnz wrote: »
    Where's the evidence that this footage was actually broadcast by ITV?

Its on the ITV player.
    If you’re looking for the footage in the documentary in the ITV player – it’s online here. The footage is in place from 28 minutes, 20 seconds.

You'll need a UK proxy to view it

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Epic _ _ _ _

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Pathetic, the Brits and their anti Irish propaganda:rolleyes:

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

It's heartbreaking really. Just when we thought we could finally put the dark days of the Troubles behind us for good, it turned out the IRA had the Princess in a different castle. :(

Shergar was a great horse n all but I wouldnt call it a princess :pac:
    Although I would call Peach a horse! Teasing bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Maximilian wrote: »
    Epic _ _ _ _

Shame you werent flying the chopper, they would have copped at the loop the loops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Well it looks pretty genuine to me. But then as a gamer I'm prone to confusing reality with games. Now where's that reset button...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,624 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's also hilarious because this is the same mainstream media that jumps at the chance to suggest gamers confuse their hobby with reality (see the recent "scientific report" that made those very clailms), yet here we have said same media making that very mistake, with gusto. It's tragic really.

I suspect a few researchers will find their P45s stuffed into their hands before the week is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Terrorism was much harder to do back in the day.

Too much lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Apparently noone died in the attack :P lolololol

The video is even more hillarious with the serious commentary

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/8792315/ITV-Gaddafi-documentary-claimed-videogame-was-terrorist-footage.html
    “With Gaddafi’s heavy machine guns, it was possible to shoot down a helicopter, as the terrorists’ own footage of 1988 shows,” the narrator, the actor Paul McGann, said.

“This was what the security forces feared most. It may have been a lucky hit, but for the army and crew, once was enough. No-one died in this attack but there were many other deadly arms to fear.”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,624 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tell you what, I'm damn curious to see this footage ITV are claiming was meant to be there in the first place. To me, it sounds more like a panicky press release to try and save some face.

"The events featured in Exposure: Gaddafi and the IRA were genuine but it would appear that during the editing process the correct clip of the 1988 incident was not selected and other footage was mistakenly included in the film by producers,"

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Video has been removed by user

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Begod, shur don't we all remember the massive international diplomatic crisis after the IRA took over Big Ben. They were going to detonate a nuke at the top, setting in motion a chain of events that would have resulted in a new global fascist regime.

Lucky enough, the lads in Rainbow Six saved the hostages and killed all the unbelievably well armed and body armoured super solders, but it just goes to show how blurry the line between reality and videogame has always been.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

forget anti Irish, they should have used anti aliasing!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Maybe ARMA missions are so real their starting to tare down the fabric between fiction, time and reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

[QUOTE=SeantheMan;74632048]Apparently noone died in the attack :P lolololol

The video is even more hillarious with the serious commentary
    [/QUOTE]

well they did, but they respawned.

seriously though thats an epic fail of biblical proportions

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

"Genuine IRA radio message as intercepted by the DUP:
    "ALL. MOVE. TO. THAT. ALL. AT. 12 O CLOCK. 'NEGATIVE.' ROGER.' CAN'T GET THERE.' WHERE ARE YOU?"

Recreate the mission in Arma 2 with this guide.

Video reuploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awl6zEwgwvM

Advertisement