Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Given a teaching post in a VEC school without any qualification

• 27-09-2011 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi

I have a few questions that some of you might be able to answer. Someone I know recently applied for a teaching job with a VEC. She did not get the job, instead it was given to someone who has no teacher qualification, is not registered with the Teaching Council or has never actually studied the subject at university level. The job was for a language teacher and this individual who got the job is a native speaker of the language in question.

My friend on the other hand has a degree in the subject, has her teaching qualification and is registered with the Teaching Council.

How can this happen and is there anything that can be done in such a case, it is so unfair.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

How do you know about the other persons (lack of ) qualifications?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pennyland

I'd prefer not to say how I know about his lack of appropriate qualifications, as it may be revealing too much, but I am 100% certain that the information I have is accurate, otherwise I would not have considered posting about it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Was he teaching in the school for a few years before this interview came up? Is all teaching done through the language he is fluent in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pennyland

No he had never taught in Ireland before this and knows nothing about the education system here etc. He is a teacher of a European language, all other subjects in the school are taught through English. It is a crazy situation that someone without the relevant qualification can be given a job before a fully qualified person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

A qualification is not necessary for a non-permanent teaching position. I lectured myself with no quals in a VEC several years ago, was just one day a week for 6 months tho. There was an interview process, and I got the job. In fairness, I got it because I knew the course director. Sad part is the other guy that showed up for the interview was only there as part of the sham process (they have to be seen to interview multiple people). I had no qualification, but I did have lots of relevant experience (including doing some work with course director).

Maybe in the OPs situation the native speaker gave a better interview? Hard to beat native speaker at their own language tbh.

Having HDip etc is only necessary for a permanent contract I think? For part-time positions the course director can hire anyone they deem fit. I got lots of small nixers from the VEC in addition to the lecturing, like being the second bloke on interview panel for other courses and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

Vecs are a law unto themselves when it comes to hiring people,it is Ireland after all and Gombeen politicians that make up an expenses filled interview panel in many cases....unfortunately!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

srsly78 wrote: »
    Having HDip etc is only necessary for a permanent contract I think?

In non-VEC schools it is necessary for any post, even subbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

would have thought they'd have had to go with the best qualified person
    would it worth it, if the unsucessful candidate applied in writing for some feedback on his/her interview - see how/why/where they fell down in 'points'. maybe there was something at play also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

would have thought they'd have had to go with the best qualified person...

Unfortunately there is no correlation between qualifications and the ability to teach.

I remember having a sub teacher with us for about a week a few years back. Total disaster - no class control of any sort, no preparation for class, etc. Yet her CV read like a who's who of degree's/diplomas/certs, etc. Very well qualified but a disaster in the classroom. It also went some way to explain why there was over 5 years of employment history, most of it of no more than a week's duration. Eminently qualified but unsuitable for teaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Did your friend ask for any feedback from the interview? Could be worthwhile.

• Advertisement
Advertisement