Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weaning help

Options
  • 27-09-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi i started last night giving the little man a potatoe an carrot jar, he took about ten spoons(which was actually about a quarter of a weaning spoon each time) then he cried if i tried to give him more so thought he was full but decided to offer himthe botte on the off chance and he drank it all, so does that mean he didnt like that paticular jar of food? I also bought heinz farley rusks and c&g baby rice. Should i try him with something different today? How many times a day shoud he be getting food? I only gave it once yesterday and was going to give it once today, to try and gradually introduce it, is this the right or wrong way to go about it? Also should i be offering water with the food? And should i be giving him a smaller bottle when he gets food? He currently gets 7-8oz every 4.5-5 hours. Thanks and any other tips or advice u have,please feel free to share.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Hi. I've been weaning my little one for a few months now. I'm working on the basis that food is fun until one. The vast majority of her nutrition and calories still come from milk therefore the amount she drinks won't increase. In the very beginning she was just trying different tastes and experiencing the feel of different food in her mouth. If she swallowed anything it was a bonus.

I offered her one meal everyday for the first week and then introduced a second one. Even though I started with spoonfeeds I worked from the babyled weaning principle that she knew when she was full. Also I let her eat at her own speed. Even now, she's 8 and 1/2 months, she opens her mouth when she's ready for another spoon and I don't try to push the spoon in or distract her to open her mouth. She's very clear when she is full closing her mouth and turning her head away.

It sounds like your little lad ate a good bit. His stomach is still only the size of his fist. I remember reading that babies know that they get more calories from milk than the equivalent volume of veggies so won't fill up on veg. Made sense to me at the time.

It's recommended that you give half of a normal bottle then a few spoons of food and then the rest of the bottle. I offer water with most spoonfeeds. Sometimes she takes it sometimes not. I've found that she learnt really quickly that water washes down any food that might be difficult to swallow and will reach for the cup if she starts to gag.

I used the Ella food pouches to try new foods. I did one new food every second day and found I got 2 days from one pouch. Once we were up and running a cooked veg in batches and frozen it in ice cube trays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

+1 to most of the above.

I hadn't a clue about weaning when we started and I found the Anabel Karamel book brilliant, especially during the first stages. I think you can even get it in the library. Would definitely recommend having a read of it if you can get your hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Yes think iil pop over to library tomorrow and see if they have it. Tried him with some carrot and potato again and he took some, then started to cry if i gave him anymore. Think il have another go of it tomorrow and then try something else the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I got her purees from my local library and found it great for ideas. I went totally braindead when it can to what to feed her. Even though it suggested obvious combinations I needed it pointed out to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

You should really be only giving about 4/5 spoons of food if you have only begun weaning. The first stage is about learning how to take food from a spoon and swallow, getting used to the texture etc. As mentioned by another poster they do not need any of the nutritional value of the food yet as it all comes from their milk.

After a week or so I would increase to 4/5 spoons twice per day, then after that week add a third solid feed. Little and often is how it should start out, increasing very gradually. Your child does not need meals, just to learn about eating and tastes for now.

I would also second the Annabel Karmel book for weaning. If you sign up to the Tesco Baby Club online they send you a booklet with some of her recipies also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

We started the weaning process two weeks ago and Im following the Annabel Karamel book. We did 3 days on baby rice ( not liking it), 3 days pureed carrot (loves it!), 3 days butternut squash and today sweet potato. Im going to try potato next before I start fruit purees. Shes still getting 5 7oz feeds but shes not taking as much. Once we start on two meals a day in about 2 weeks Ill drop an oz or two and switch to a follow on milk. She'll be 6 months by then.

HAve to say Im loving this weaning process - making her food and watching her get into it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

The anabel karmel book, its not just recepies is it, it also has info on weaning etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Yes it has a good few pages for each stage of weaning just of information and advice before it gives receipes. I think she has a few books, the one I have is called Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I think the complete baby and toddler meal planner book has some info on weaning IIRC. Plenty on here website here for free though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

qwertytlk wrote: »
    The anabel karmel book, its not just recepies is it, it also has info on weaning etc?

The one im using (a friend has lent it to us) is just called Weaning. Covers what food, when to start etc. Im a complete novice so am constantly referring to it. Ive also been given a book on Baby led Weaning which I might start reading as Im completely petrified at the thought of doing finger foods with her and know I need to man up for the job :D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement