Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Salmon return to the Tolka

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Great news indeed.
    It must be one of the most difficult catchments in the country in which to control pollution, with over enrichment from intensive agriculture in the headwaters to industrial effluent through the middle reaches. In spite of this and repeated fish kills over the years, the river always held a stock of large brownies right down to the tide.
    You have to marvel at nature's ability to recover given half a chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Well, that WAS great news. Every knack will be down there now and bleed it dry.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

slowburner wrote: »
    Great news indeed.
    It must be one of the most difficult catchments in the country in which to control pollution, with over enrichment from intensive agriculture in the headwaters to industrial effluent through the middle reaches. In spite of this and repeated fish kills over the years, the river always held a stock of large brownies right down to the tide.
    You have to marvel at nature's ability to recover given half a chance.

all very true.....i believe that it used to be a very rich river with a wide variety of insect life, i am not sure what its like now but must be good to support salmon parr and brown trout. great news, lets hope it continues.

headmaster wrote: »
    Well, that WAS great news. Every knack will be down there now and bleed it dry.;)

so its going to be no different from any other salmon river then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

My apt over looks the tolka. Must keep an eye out to see if I can see any:p it's quite a shallow river in places, might even call it a stream in areas, can't imagine a salmon running up as far as glasnevin. I have definitely seen sea trout in the lower reaches so I suppose salmon would be the next logical step. Hardly going to be the most prolific salmon river in the country but still good to hear

• Advertisement

thehamo wrote: »
    My apt over looks the tolka. Must keep an eye out to see if I can see any:p it's quite a shallow river in places, might even call it a stream in areas, can't imagine a salmon running up as far as glasnevin. I have definitely seen sea trout in the lower reaches so I suppose salmon would be the next logical step. Hardly going to be the most prolific salmon river in the country but still good to hear

i would only imagine adult salmon would enter it in October- November when more water in the river.
    all the east coat rivers have been very low this season and the tolka is no exception.

Advertisement