Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The nokia N9

Options
  • 27-09-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

THE nokia N9 has started shipping but will anybody bother?
    Its meant to be nokias flagship phone but nokia have lost a huge market share in the last 12 months

http://press.nokia.com/2011/09/27/nokia-n9-begins-shipping/

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fswipe.nokia.com%2F&ei=lQCCTvSQNe6W0QXHnvjJAQ&usg=AFQjCNFX25MX4wWRbOEQpiBCsYLjS3ee7A&sig2=zpGCY3gX1RPiBpDYDTysSQ

nokia-n9-all-1.jpg

Espoo, Finland - The Nokia N9, designed for people who appreciate exceptional design and craftsmanship as well as the latest smartphone technology, has begun shipping to customers and stores.

"Since we announced the Nokia N9 in June this year, the feedback that it has gotten from discerning and avid smartphone users across the world has been nothing short of fantastic," said Ilari Nurmi, Vice President of Marketing, Nokia. "With the innovations in industrial design, user interface, and the Qt developer experience, the Nokia N9 sets the bar for how natural technology can feel, and represents the first in a number of products from Nokia that will be brought to life in similar fashion."

The beautifully designed Nokia N9 features an intuitive user interface that's controlled with a simple swipe. With no home key, there's more room for apps to shine. Three home views - Applications, Events and Live Applications - enable people to navigate through the smartphone easily and get to their favourite content faster. Other features include:

· 3.9-inch AMOLED screenmade from scratch-resistant curved
    glass

· Easy single-tap pairing with NFC-enabled accessories such as
    the Nokia Play 360 wireless speaker and sharing of content
    through NFC technology

Nokia N9 image

· An 8-megapixel Carl Zeiss autofocus sensor and wide-angle lens for HD-quality video and photo capture, and large lens aperture for great camera performance even in low-lighting conditions; easy capture and share of images and videos with social networks

· Mobile Internet radio*, with a great range of music out-of-the-box and no fees or account creation necessary, available for the first time as part of the Nokia Music offering; just press play. And the music sounds even better on the first smartphone to come with Dolby Digital Plus decoding and Dolby Headphone post-processing technology.

· Free turn-by-turn drive and walk navigation with voice-guided maps for more than 100 countries and in more than 50 languages

· Top social networking, communication, entertainment and gaming apps preloaded for a hassle-free out-of-the-box experience

· Global and local apps available through Nokia store for further personalization and new discovery opportunities

The Nokia N9 is available in three colours - black, cyan and magenta with 16GB and 64GB storage options to accommodate plenty of content and will be on sale in countries around the world.

The estimated retail price of the Nokia N9 16GB and 64GB is approximately EUR 480 and EUR 560 before applicable taxes or subsidies, with pricing and availability varying from region to region and operator to operator.

To learn more about the Nokia N9, visit http://swipe.nokia.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's undoubtedly a beautiful piece of hardware, I just don't think it's all that it's cracked up to be. After Nokia release their first WP7 handsets it'll be curtains imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

I just don't think it's all that it's cracked up to be.

Any reasons for that? There's definitely a shortage of apps, and there's the lack of a carrier subsidy, but beyond that, I can't see a major downside.

I really like what Nokia have done for the user experience in this - I think it's as much of a leap forward in UI as Windows Phone was, but unlike WP7, it retains what people are used to, and expect, in a phone.

I think WP7 is very good UI, but it's also very different, and you do need about an hour with it to appreciate that it's also better than iOS/Android and not just "different" from them. Most customers don't spend that much time with a phone before they choose.

But, Nokia's "Sea-Ray" will use the same hardware and case construction, so it should be possible to compare both devices purely on their software and OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

No widgets,not on and the battery life is why i won't be buying this time im not going to be the first as usual to test this phone,and after switching to android i would want something dam impressive to take me back to Nokia again.
    i seen a video the other day of the C7 and the new 700 which runs on belle and a 1ghz proccessor,guess what loaded web pages faster,the C7 could not believe it.

how do i change my name btw lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I would buy one but I'm getting the feeling that Nokia are going out of their way to make the phone a failure. Might just buy it to spite them.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

Check out this:

have a look at this nokia N9 variants on navifirm:
    059J1Z7: RM-696 NDT UK IRELAND BLACK 16GB
    059K0W0: RM-696 NDT UK IRELAND CYAN 16GB
    059K1F5: RM-696 NDT UK IRELAND MAGENTA 16GB

source

I will be getting this when i have the chance. Reception is better then many if all other phones currently out. Battery life is also a lot better then i expected people are getting about 2 days with medium to heavy usage. It has a bundle of features out of box so doesn't need 50 apps to make it useable. it's not a flagship device and has never been mentioned by nokia as being their flagship device. there will be support for it but not as much as for wp7. My advice is, if you keep your phones for more then 2-3 years and need apps then this probably isn't for you. if you cycle phones every 1-2 years then it's worth it.

Remember form your own opinion of phones by trying them out instead of just going with the hype, it should be good as a phone too.

• Advertisement

Just to be clear, those are SIM-free units. The "UK IRELAND" just means that they're pre-installed with British English software and European settings.

There's no evidence yet that any Irish or UK operator is going to take this phone.

KrisW wrote: »
    Just to be clear, those are SIM-free units. The "UK IRELAND" just means that they're pre-installed with British English software and European settings.

There's no evidence yet that any Irish or UK operator is going to take this phone.

No operator is taking this on board as the upcoming sea ray is the same shell but with windows on board and there will be no support for meego.

there will be no support for meego.
    This is factually true, but irrelevant as the N9 is not MeeGo and never was: MeeGo never made it to a release candidate, so the N9 is based on Nokia's previous Linux-based OS, Maemo. Plus, everything the user sees in it, including the slick "swipe" UI is Nokia's own work, and was never part of the MeeGo project. Nokia will directly support this device for at least three years.

It's an operator opinion at the end of the day. Australia/New Zealand operators are taking the phone. Here's an ad that's been running on Australian TV:
    Nokia N9 advert, Australia

The operating system (in the strict technical sense of the phrase) is largely irrelevant - developers aren't coding to the MeeGo APIs, they're writing against Qt, which will be carried on all Nokia's non-Windows devices.

The N9's UI shell (that even allegedly knowledgable tech authors keep calling its Operating System) is nothing more or less than an application suite, one that can be easily put on other devices (the "Nokia Store" app from N9 is already on Symbian as a Beta). What you see in N9 is Nokia's template for all non-Windows Phone devices, so it's not any kind of "dead end".

(OT now, but there's still no guarantee that Windows Phone is going to take off at all, although IMO Nokia can at least do something about WP7's biggest fixable problem: all the existing handsets currently running WP7 have a bland, soulless design style that's completely at odds with the radical design of the UI.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »

the nokia N900 has had 4 different OSs on it selectable with a bootloader,
    that included android, mobile ubuntu, maemo 5, meego.

The N9 is harmattan which was maemo 6, it has been touted as the Qt phone,

You will see the UI with swip, multi-tasking and heavy Qt relience downstream to the "next billion" feature phones so you will have games/apps that are easily ported to meego-harmattan, symbian,s40. there is also a Qt project for android.

Anyone who has been keeping up to date with the N9 will know it is pretty damn good. i'm not going to try and educate anyone here. talk.maemo.org thenokiablog and mynokiablog have plenty of information on it. the maemo forum has people who are using the n9 and will answer any questions if you ask nicely.

Edit:
    Also support for it has been quoted a few times by nokia as 2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

I'd love to get an N9.

After seeing what Apple has to offer with the iPhone 4S, I'm not impressed so I think I'll go for the N9 instead.

If anybody comes across it to buy online please let me know! :rolleyes:

None of the usual retailers have prices up yet, but stick around here (or watch the thread) and you'll hear soon enough.

Don't expect it to be cheap. Other markets have it priced between €500 and €700 SIM-free.

If nokia was cute they would cut the price on this after seen the new iphone 4s

Why? iPhone owners have shown that price is not a factor in their buying decisions.

Those $199, $299, $399 prices floating around are with contract on a US carrier. Unlike everyone else, Apple don't quote unsubsidised prices. The unsubsidised price of the new iPhone is in line with the N9's.

You could argue that the N9 is technologically inferior to the iPhone 4S, which is true in many respects, but again, iPhone customers are not technology-led, because they were happy to pay big money for the least-featured device on the market. Oddly, N9 finds itself in what was always the position of the iPhone - smaller spec-sheet numbers, but leading on user experience. (Although, unlike all iPhones, the N9 is said to have truly outstanding radio performance)

The game has moved on since then, though. The buying decision is not based on the device anymore, it's the apps you can run on it.

The only things that would make people change from iPhones (or anything else) to Nokia N9s is a carrier subsidy and wide distribution and a hell of a lot of luck.

The iphone seems to be more of a status symbol from what i hear ok you have your die hard apple fans in which there is no harm,same as myself once a die hard nokia fan until i moved on as nokia could no longer provide my needs,this N9 might do that.
    what im saying is that anybody with an iphone 4 now would be mad to get this and thats the general consensus.
    Im SURE your aware of the dissapointment of the spec sheet and the world wanted the iphone 5 not the 4s.
    From reading forums the suggestions been made is that those apple fans which are almost out of contract are not taking a 2 year upgrade and its easy to see why,its that or move to android or the nokia N9
    ITs also suggested that many would go for the N9 now seen the specs for the iphone 4.
    IMO i wont be getting neither ive had a day with the N9 and it fails to give what android gives and i hate to say that.
    At the end of the day the consumer will choose whats best for his/her needs and whats available on the market at the time of upgrade.
    Nokia may decide to ship to more countries but its going to be available through many websites at a cheaper price most likely the uk than if it was available here through online retailers.

Just noticed that Expansys have listed the pricing for the 16GB Nokia N9 €614.99 very pricey indeed.

http://www.expansys.ie/nokia-n9-smartphone-black-16gb-219484/

I can only imagine what the 64GB version will cost, perhaps in the region of 750-850 € I reckon.

I will be shopping for one elsewhere... :pac:

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    Just noticed that Expansys have listed the pricing for the 16GB Nokia N9 €614.99 very pricey indeed.

http://www.expansys.ie/nokia-n9-smartphone-black-16gb-219484/

I can only imagine what the 64GB version will cost, perhaps in the region of 750-850 € I reckon.

I will be shopping for one elsewhere... :pac:
    rip off

Interestingly enough, when you hit 'pre-order' the price drops to a reasonable €504.12

AND they have an expected release date: 03 November 11.

I'll be keeping an eye on this! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

its 609 now thats the trouble with expansys up one day down the next never a static price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Getting to trial the N9 for the next fortnight. If it holds up against the N900, this may get expensive :(

and another to join the line up running on windows..
    http://www.gsmarena.com/wprunning_nokia_800_sun_official_photos_surface_n9_meets_its_longlost_twin-news-3255.php

gsmarena_001.jpg

WP Nokia 800 Sun official photos surface, N9 meets its long-lost twin
    10 October, 2011 | Comments (5) | Post your comment
    Tags: Nokia, Windows Phone, Touch UI, Rumors
    Just over two weeks before Nokia World kicks off and the Finnish company unveils its first WP smartphones, we got official photos of one of them. Promo materials of Nokia 800, which was previously rumored as Lumia just popped up, confirming that it will be one of the Nokia smartphones to appear at the event.
    As you can see, the Nokia 800 body is almost identical to that of the Nokia N9. We've been playing with MeeGo-running flagship of the Finns for the past few days and we cannot see any reason why using the same design on a WP7 smartphone would be a bad idea.

Nokia 800 Sun leaked promo images
    The new leak nicely aligns with previous rumors, so there's every reason to believe that its real. The ads suggest that this will be the Nokia Sun, which as we previously heard will be the marketing name of the Nokia Sea Ray. And, if your memory serves you well, you'd know that the Sea Ray was supposed to be an N9-lookalike.
    Specs-wise the Nokia Sun will reportedly offer a 3.7" WVGA AMOLED, Windows Phone Mango, a 1.4GHz CPU and 16GB of onboard storage. The smartphone should hit the shelves in the first half of November.
    Is this enough to convince you to switch to a WP-running Nokia? Or are you hoping to see something even more impressive at Nokia World?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

jimmynokia wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised if it was cajoled into running Harmattan. That would be cool.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was cajoled into running Harmattan
    I would. The casing is similar, but the board inside will be completely different.
    Microsoft are very rigid about the hardware specifications used, and currently only Qualcomm provide a compliant chipset from its "Snapdragon" System-on-Chip range, so that's the most likeley candidate (although ST-Ericsson recently mentioned working on WindowsPhone hardware)

The N9, on the other hand, uses a Texas Instruments OMAP3630 System-on-Chip, a device quite popular with last year's high-end Android producers (it's in the Moto Droid 2, Galaxy S and LG Optimus Black), as well as being in the developer-only N950.

there is something else coming this Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

mwrf wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was cajoled into running Harmattan. That would be cool.

HTC HD2 will be your best bet, they already have Meego v1.1 running on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

KrisW wrote: »
    I would. The casing is similar, but the board inside will be completely different.
    Microsoft are very rigid about the hardware specifications used, and currently only Qualcomm provide a compliant chipset from its "Snapdragon" System-on-Chip range, so that's the most likeley candidate (although ST-Ericsson recently mentioned working on WindowsPhone hardware)

The N9, on the other hand, uses a Texas Instruments OMAP3630 System-on-Chip, a device quite popular with last year's high-end Android producers (it's in the Moto Droid 2, Galaxy S and LG Optimus Black), as well as being in the developer-only N950.

Thanks for the info

Sparks wrote: »
    Getting to trial the N9 for the next fortnight. If it holds up against the N900, this may get expensive :(

i want a play with it!!!

the prices around eu for the n9 are all over the place, think switzerland has the best so far. doubt i can get this until after xmas anyway.

• Advertisement

jimmynokia wrote: »
    there is something else coming this Thursday

Very cryptic, Jimmy... As it's Wednesday evening already, I'll keep my eyes peeled tomorrow. :)

Advertisement