Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The nokia N9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

KrisW wrote: »
    jimmynokia wrote: »
    there is something else coming this Thursday

Very cryptic, Jimmy... As it's Wednesday evening already, I'll keep my eyes peeled tomorrow. :)
    http://conversations.nokia.com/try-something-new/
    ok you Tel us what it is then lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Nokia really are going all out to sell as few as possible.

psinno wrote: »

posting from phone but here is the Nokia 603 http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-603/features?intc=ncomprod-fw-ilc-na-prindy01_0x0-na-ncompress-eu-en-1todtmta38663

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Wrong thread, but definitely the right product.

€799 for N9 is pure gouging. I would expect it to drop to €600/€650 before too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

you may not have noticed but the website selling it wasn't nokia and that price is one of the highest i've seen in the EU if not the highest.

also it is the no1 selling phone in sweden at the moment and oreorders are through the roof with first batches gone very fast throughout the eu and globally.

also for those who doubt it will get updates, confirmation from nokia developers (work on mfe and email app for meego-harmattan) that an update is on it's way. and they also mentioned being more then one. link

smegheadz wrote: »
    you may not have noticed but the website selling it wasn't nokia and that price is one of the highest i've seen in the EU if not the highest.

also it is the no1 selling phone in sweden at the moment and oreorders are through the roof with first batches gone very fast throughout the eu and globally.

also for those who doubt it will get updates, confirmation from nokia developers (work on mfe and email app for meego-harmattan) that an update is on it's way. and they also mentioned being more then one. link

I have not seen many places that will ship to Ireland offering prices at all. Feel free to post some links to better prices. Even better post a link to anything indicating Nokia are putting any effort into the phone in Ireland.

If you can't get the phone here, it's because the Irish mobile operators have decided not to carry it - Nokia haven't got much to do with it; the operators are their customers, and the customer is always right. End of story.
    As for the SIM-free retailers, in Ireland/UK they have always been profiteers, especially with new intros and handsets that the major networks don't carry.

Anyway, for a more realistic estimate: retail pricing in Finland, SIM-free, including VAT, is €599 for 16G models; €699 for the 64Gb one.

In the Nordic countries, customers tend to buy their phones SIM-free, but on contract in Finland you can also get an N9 for around €485, or an extra €23 (or so) per month on top of your calls+data over 24 months (In Irish marketing terms that'd be stated as "free Nokia N9! just €45/month on 24-month contract", but the price is the same)

No network is carrying this as it resembles the brother due to be announced at nokia world,same shell but windows.
    im constantly checking prices and on sites that ship to ireland.
    so i will keep things updated.
    as for simply electronics i would not buy from them even though they are cheap you most likely end up getting a gray product.
    sites to watch as handtech uk and expansys for now ive one or two more im looking into atm and will be again posting up the info.
    So far the N9 is getting good reviews and write ups which is good but as for the platform its not so good.
    I was speaking to one of the guys today from nokia in finland and there could be an expansion on its scheduled release since its success at launch.

I have not seen many places that will ship to Ireland offering prices at all. Feel free to post some links to better prices. Even better post a link to anything indicating Nokia are putting any effort into the phone in Ireland.

059J1Z7: RM-696 NDT UK IRELAND BLACK 16GB
    059K0W0: RM-696 NDT UK IRELAND CYAN 16GB
    059K1F5: RM-696 NDT UK IRELAND MAGENTA 16GB

there's the uk ireland varients. there's also a 64gb varient in the updated list (black only)

also as the poster above said, getting it in a different country simfree can be cheaper then the online shops that sell in ireland. there are even people in those countries on the tmo forum buying and selling the phones to other users through ebay.

anything else try the tmo forum or google. only takes 2mins.

• Advertisement

smegheadz wrote: »

there's the uk ireland varients. there's also a 64gb varient in the updated list (black only)

also as the poster above said, getting it in a different country simfree can be cheaper then the online shops that sell in ireland. there are even people in those countries on the tmo forum buying and selling the phones to other users through ebay.

anything else try the tmo forum or google. only takes 2mins.

People selling stuff on eBay is hardly proof Nokia is putting in effort. Quite the opposite really.

People selling stuff on eBay is hardly proof Nokia is putting in effort. Quite the opposite really.

i would never buy a phone from ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

i would never buy a phone from ebay

There's great savings that you can make if you know what you're buying and who you're buying from. There's plenty of legit companies that sell on ebay.

you obviously didn't see this so i'll post it for you again.

notice the word IRELAND. now we all know it's not going to be their main platform or device. nobody is going to hold your hand and get it for you.

it seems you rather moan about it or nokia. me on the other hand couldnt care less if you got it or didn't or complain about it. i know how to get it and know how to not pay stupid prices for it either. i know what to expect. and boohoo nokia aren't pushing it down our throats here in ireland.

if anyone has questions about it and i know the answer i'll gladly help them. if ya just want to cry and complain i'm sure there's plenty of people who'll talk to you too.

Nokia aren't putting any effort into advertising this phone in Ireland for a simple reason.

Ask anyone you know where they bought their phone from, and you'll get the first clue. Until an Irish operator takes this device on, there will be no advertising in Ireland.

Like it or not, Nokia's customers are taking Nokia's Windows Phone products instead of N9. I think that's got more to do with Irish and UK people getting their tech news from US-based websites than the relative quality of the products, but we'll see...

Flickr gallery comparing the new iPhone 4S and the Nokia N9's cameras. The owner's name is "nokia_fan", which may tell you where they're coming from, but it's a pretty good test, except for the lack of any people. tl;dr? Apple once again have spoiled the iPhone 4S's pretty good camera hardware with some overbearing colour processing.

These are two pretty good cameras, neither one as good as the N8's, but definitely vying for second place.

The iPhone has some strange exposure choices and a golden-yellow colour cast on everything. It might makes dull photos look interesting, but it destroys any kind of subtlety. The worst example is the one picture of a rock that the iPhone camera has turned into some kind of mud-brown:

N9
    iPhone 4S

Okay, it's hard to tell what colour the rock really is, but my money is on it being closer to the colour the N9 recorded (plus the N9 picks up the lichen correctly; the iPhone swamps it)

As someone who takes photos for fun, I'd give the nod to the N9, unless you can turn off the iPhone's colour processing, in which case it'd be too close to call.

handtech UK taking orders
    http://t.co/jasuFQ7N

for anyone whos interesting in where you can buy the n9 and pricing etc.

follow this thread on maemo.org it's updated daily with lots of info on prices etc.

PR 1.1 is available for the N950 with over 3500 features and fixes. PR 1.1 should be released shortly for the N9.

• Advertisement

Vlad Savov, ex of Engadget, reviews the N9

Overall, a glowing review, despite the technically outdated hardware and the lack of apps in the store.

On apps, N9 may not be as barren a market as it seems. Using Qt, 90% of apps written for/on N9 can be ported to the Symbian devices, which do have a large installed market (and pretty respectable download-per-app and daily-download numbers). N9 will get a Qt-powered phone into the hands of more small developers, something the "uncool" Symbian OS couldn't do.

Vlad Savov, ex of Engadget, reviews the N9

Overall, a glowing review, despite the technically outdated hardware and the lack of apps in the store.

On apps, N9 may not be as barren a market as it seems. Using Qt, 90% of apps written for/on N9 can be ported to the Symbian devices, which do have a large installed market (and pretty respectable download-per-app and daily-download numbers). N9 will get a Qt-powered phone into the hands of more small developers, something the "uncool" Symbian OS couldn't do.

I didn't like this part "Yes, it can get bamboozled and freeze up," and "has a tendency to break down". The OS does seem buggy and laggy.

yeah vlad's review was pretty good surprisingly, he mentioned the good and the bad and he did seem to use it unlike the wired review which was full of inaccuracies.

about the app situation. it's easier to port from symbian to the n9 as with symbian there's lots of symbian c you need for things but you can use Qt for on the n9. this isn't coming from me but from a few developers who were talking about porting to and from symbian and meego-harmattan. one put it as a breath of fresh air in writing for compared to symbian.

@smeghedz Unless you're dealing with older application code, there's very little difference now between Qt on Symbian and Qt for Harmattan/N9. From Qt 4.7 on, there's enough in Qt Mobility for you to no longer need the Symbian APIs. The one exception is when you're dealing with specific hardware features (like fine-tuning N8's camera) that can't be handled in a cross-platform system.

Most of the Symbian-specifics can be wrapped into a couple of classes, if there are any at all, but for your typical mobile app, which is a UI wrapper over some kind of cloud-based data or service, there's no difference at all between N9 and the Symbian devices, except for screen size.

Symbian had one of the most horrible APIs going, but Qt is among the best.
    I didn't like this part "Yes, it can get bamboozled and freeze up," and "has a tendency to break down". The OS does seem buggy and laggy.
    That's a pretty big leap you've just made there.. the rest of this review is so resoundingly positive I'm surprised that you can come away with that impression. I suggest you don't buy an N9. Get a black Nokia 800, and put masking tape over the extra button; as long as nobody sees the screen, you can make them think you've bought something really cool.

Anyway, another review, from Engadget's Myriam Joire: http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/22/nokia-n9-review/ (

That's a pretty big leap you've just made there.. the rest of this review is so resoundingly positive I'm surprised that you can come away with that impression.

They where his words not mine? Did you not read the article? He did say that, didn't he? :pac:
    I suggest you don't buy an N9. Get a black Nokia 800, and put masking tape over the extra button; as long as nobody sees the screen, you can make them think you've bought something really cool.

Masking tape over the extra button? the only extra button would be the camera button, why would you put masking tape over that?

I have no intention of buying the N9 but I'm pretty sure the Nokia 800 will be my next phone. When the 2 Os's have been compared side by side the MeeGo OS does seem to be slow. Just look how bad the web browser is in the video with all the checker board, not only that its pinch to zoom looks bad too.

The one thing you do get from the engadget review is how beautiful the phone looks.

They where his words not mine? Did you not read the article? He did say that, didn't he?
    I did read the review, yes he said the phone was sometimes slow, it was because it's running what is now a mid-range hardware platform. He appeared to be very careful to not call the operating system slow. You latched on to the "slow" and have proclaimed that the whole thing is "buggy and laggy". Let's be clear Android was buggy and laggy, this is nothing of the sort. For a first release of an OS, on off-the-curve hardware, N9's performance is spectacular.

I'm sure you know that the Nokia 800 is not going to be the same hardware as N9. 800 will most likely run on a more modern Snapdragon SoC (unless Nokia go out on a limb take STEricsson's rumoured, but still unannounced, WP7 design). The casing is (almost) the same, but they're very different inside.

To make any valid comparison, you would have to be comparing like-for-like, with similarly-performing hardware. Windows Phone 7 is fast, but looking at the comparisons, I wouldn't be so quick to call N9's OS "slow" - what you're seeing is well within the hardware advantage WP7 devices have, and at least one of the tests I saw used Microsoft's IE showcase site as the benchmark; which browser do you imagine would perform best on that?

(You know I was joking about the tape, and anyway, the camera button would still work with black tape over it ;) )

By the way, I'm not anti WP7 - I don't particularly like the overly geometric design (to me, it's a bit 1960s, but at least they didn't combine it with Helvetica), but that's my personal taste.
    I think Nokia made the right choice, and I think the 800 will be the product to finally get people buying WP7 phones. Right now, the most likely reason for WP7's poor uptake has been that none of the phones are particularly attractive. With the lock screen on, they're just another no-name touchscreen - may as well be Android. Anyone I know who has WP7, or has used it, likes it. The problem is getting people to try it, and the 800 will go a long way to getting people to pick it up and say "hey, that's nice".

Yes I suppose it does look like I did latch on to that part but I'd have been happier if he didn't say that. As for myself I can't say its slow as I haven't used it but what I can say is it's a lovely looking phone.

As for the Windows Phones some people will never even look at them because its a Windows Phone.

... yeah, I think that's the other reason for WP7's poor takeup.

I just don't know what possessed them to call this "Windows Phone". If you like Windows, then it's tough ****, because WP7 looks nothing like it (unless you're enough of a typography nut to spot that they both use the rather nice Segoe typeface). If you don't like Windows, you won't even get as far as looking at it because the name is an instant turn-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

... yeah, I think that's the other reason for WP7's poor takeup.

I just don't know what possessed them to call this "Windows Phone". If you like Windows, then it's tough ****, because WP7 looks nothing like it (unless you're enough of a typography nut to spot that they both use the rather nice Segoe typeface). If you don't like Windows, you won't even get as far as looking at it because the name is an instant turn-off.

Windows 8 is going to look like WP7 tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

looks like the 64GB version has disappeared from expansys.ie :(

-Coley.

Advertisement