Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The nokia N9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

the making of the nokia N9

http://t.co/RO34PBVD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It bares a startling resemblance to the iPhone, they may be risking a court case with Apple, and things haven't been going too well for Samsung thus far.

It bares a startling resemblance to the iPhone, they may be risking a court case with Apple, and things haven't been going too well for Samsung thus far.
    it looks nothin like the iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

They look nothing alike. Besides it's Apple that pay Nokia for every iPhone sold.

Sorry gents, I still feel it looks like an iphone.

Anyway, how would one get a hold of one over here? I assume none of our networks will be selling it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Anyway, how would one get a hold of one over here? I assume none of our networks will be selling it?

I think you should try Specsavers, if they can't help you your best bet is the internet. ;)

i have my N9 two weeks now but got it as a gift from Nokia,you can buy them online.
    im hope to be able to pick some up at the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

It's actually not that bad looking in white :)

Its nice in white and the good thing is the price will be coming down now after todays announcements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Its nice in white and the good thing is the price will be coming down now after todays announcements

Have you a confirmation of that? At the 800's price, a SIM-free N9 would be a no-brainer for me.

KrisW wrote: »
    Have you a confirmation of that? At the 800's price, a SIM-free N9 would be a no-brainer for me.

I have verbally yes and it makes sense when you actually think about it.
    Im now heading home from NW :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Have you been converted back to Nokia?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

God do I want this phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

God do I want this phone.

In stock at www.phonesonline.ie - black 64gb model

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

I have verbally yes and it makes sense when you actually think about it.
    Im now heading home from NW :mad:

I wonder when these drops and the white version will start showing up online?

-Coley.

coley wrote: »
    I wonder when these drops and the white version will start showing up online?

-Coley.

Don't like the gloss finish on the white. I'd be surprised if there was a price drop.

Gekko wrote: »
    In stock at www.phonesonline.ie - black 64gb model

pricey :eek:

Yeah, that is way too much for a phone.
    Would make the thing a damn liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

That's a pre-order launch price for early adopters/fanboys, and that price will fall once the pent-up demand is satisfied.

As an example of price differences, look at a phone that you can actually get here, the Nokia 701, and compare the different ways of buying it:
    - €387: The SIM-free price on phonesonline.ie.
    - €351: Nokia's advertised launch price (€290 plus taxes).
    - €339: O2's PAYG price for the same phone
    - €99: O2's 18month contract price for the phone at a spend of €40/mo.
    - €49: O2's 18month contract price for the phone at a spend of €85/mo.
    - €0: O2's 18month contract price for the phone at a spend of €100/mo

The Pay-As-You-Go price is usually the best indication of what a phone actually costs, because these are normally sold without much of a subisidy.

• Advertisement

That's a pre-order launch price for early adopters/fanboys, and that price will fall once the pent-up demand is satisfied.

As an example of price differences, look at a phone that you can actually get here, the Nokia 701, and compare the different ways of buying it:

The Pay-As-You-Go price is usually the best indication of what a phone actually costs, because these are normally sold without much of a subisidy.

is this not the N9 thread?

dr ro wrote: »
    Have you been converted back to Nokia?

not fully convinced yet tbh i have the 710/800 lumina now to play with and we will see the N9 is however good but somewhat challenging..:)

True, but the N9 is a special case. You're talkin about a product that's been manufactured in limited numbers. There also seems to be a decent sized demand given it's oddity/rarity status. Expansys have upped the pre-order price twice already - selling out the 64gb model - and they're not alone. Add that to the fact that Nokia naturally wants to push the lumia 800 and not the N9 you've got a recipe for price gouging.

Well that's the best way to not sell a phone.

i mailed phones on line about it on behalf of a friend and was told it would be at least Thursday before it would be received,to me that sounds like its coming from an overseas supplier and not in this company's premises.
    god knows when you would get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 stevendon

pricey given the rise in GBP against the Euro. It would work out at over €630 once credit card exchange rates are factored in.

stevendon wrote: »
    pricey given the rise in GBP against the Euro. It would work out at over €630 once credit card exchange rates are factored in.

614.39 to be exact. you wont get cheaper..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 stevendon

Jimmy you will get it cheaper. Are you getting your exchange rate from xe.com or some similar site? This is the wholesale fx rate.
    Unless you are buying quantities of N9's, you will not buy it for 614.39 from a legit source delivered to Ireland (the current rate is 1 GBP = 1.16393 EUR)

I guarantee you, if you were to buy it today with a Euro currency bank account/credit card, you're credit card will be charged the 'retail rate', which usually adds around 2% to cover currency spreads, commission etc. they do not include any rounding differences, charges or markups applied by the credit card company.

• Advertisement

stevendon wrote: »

Jimmy you will get it cheaper. Are you getting your exchange rate from xe.com or some similar site? This is the wholesale fx rate.
    Unless you are buying quantities of N9's, you will not buy it for 614.39 from a legit source delivered to Ireland (the current rate is 1 GBP = 1.16393 EUR)

I guarantee you, if you were to buy it today with a Euro currency bank account/credit card, you're credit card will be charged the 'retail rate', which usually adds around 2% to cover currency spreads, commission etc. they do not include any rounding differences, charges or markups applied by the credit card company.
    i get a discount been a customer i already own one of these but my colleagues are looking to buy
    Im in this business and know the market so you have a look around and come back to me with results
    and you can try simply electronics if you wish,if the where giving me the phone for free i would not take it.

Advertisement