Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are your local reps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,787 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What? He slipped in & bumped a party stalwart out & now he is doing a Farage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

martinn123 wrote: »
    I see
    J P. Browne is retiring his position on Fingal CoCo.
    Can't post the link but Alan Farrell posted a Tweet earlier today.

That was a short career in politics ??

Thoughts.
    JP Browne
    Yesterday at 14:42 ·
    Regrettably, I am announcing that I am leaving my position as local representative with Fingal County Council. This decision was not taken lightly and has caused many a sleepless night. The decision is primarily due to upcoming work commitments.
    I have put everything in to my council work and was immensely proud to represent my community at council level. I really loved my time with Fingal County Council, working with so many local groups and organisations. I would like thank all the staff, and all those who supported me, for their encouragement and assistance.
    I have informed the Chief Executive and work is already underway with the local Fine Gael branch to have my replacement in situ as soon as possible after the Summer break.
    Thank you for this opportunity, it has been a wonderful experience.
    https://www.facebook.com/jpbrownefg/posts/856727707790919

Balancing Council life with busy schedule 'no problem'
    John Manning 19/07/2014
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/balancing-council-life-with-busy-schedule-no-problem-30431676.html

doesn't seem FG were very popular there for some reason http://electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=2014L&cons=13

I'll have to check out his attendance .. http://meetings.fingal.ie/mgAttendance.aspx?XXR=0&DR=01%2f01%2f2014-16%2f07%2f2016&ACT=Go&UID=674& it was very high 97%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭koutoubia

How about our local reps or some of them addressing the now ,what I believe to be , an out of control crimewave.
    North County north of the airport is seriously devoid of Gardai. Burgularies happening in busy estates in broad daylight etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Browne Calls It A Day
    Former Fine Gael councillor, Tom O’Leary, who was overlooked by the party in favour of Browne at the last local elections, praised the contribution Browne made, while confirming that his own name will be in the hat as his replacement. I will be offering myself as a full time councillor resident in Skerries
    http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2016/07/19/browne-calls-it-a-day/ the question of whether being a councillor is full time job and thus should be paid as such comes up again

• Advertisement

koutoubia wrote: »
    How about our local reps or some of them addressing the now ,what I believe to be , an out of control crimewave.
    North County north of the airport is seriously devoid of Gardai. Burgularies happening in busy estates in broad daylight etc etc
    Dramatic fall in burglary rates county-wide

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/dramatic-fall-in-burglary-rates-countywide-34893284.html havn't seen the raw stats but

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Originally posted by expectationlost - Dramatic fall in burglary rates county-wide
    I have never really set a lot of store by stat's ,I would say a lot of people just don't even bother reporting a lot of crime's now,in most case's what's the point.
    Most of the offenders are professional full time repeat habitual criminals who repeatitly walk free from the court's when even caught and are even less upset at the thought of doing any time.
    I would say a lot more people don't even claim their house insurance as in a lot of cases's it is cheaper to cover the cost yourself than claim off the policy and suffer increased premium's in the future.
    While it is welcome new,Garda management have been for the last few years being trying to operate the Garda as a corporate entity,which it is not,with all the spin that goes with it.
    The best advice to people is to be vigilant and alert at all time's,and continually pester our local representatives be they councillors or Td's for increased resources for our stretched,under paided and much put upon Garda force.
    And to keep insisting on increased recruiting and more Garda on the beat.

Farrell congratulates Tom O’Leary on his selection as a councillor for the Balbriggan Ward http://alanfarrell.ie/?p=3242 I don't know if thats just FG selection him or he was actually been co-opted onto the council tonight, but seems a given.

is he still James Reilly's parliamentary assistant?

wheres Jeanette McNamara? http://electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=2014L&cons=13

Council discusses fire defects in private due to house price fears
    Public and press cleared from Fingal meeting after concerns raised about property value impact
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/council-discusses-fire-defects-in-private-due-to-house-price-fears-1.2824101?utm_content=sf-man

If you are dying in a fire please refrain from screaming as you may damage property values

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Oh dear

Clare Daly forgot to turn up in Court, to answer a charge of exceeding the speed limit

Bench warrant issued.

More time to be wasted by Gardai in tracking her down

http://www.newstalk.com/Bench-warrant-issued-for-the-arrest-of-Independent-TD-Clare-Daly

• Advertisement

She said she had been present in court but her case was the last of 188 cases to be called & she wanted to get back to Kildare St for a meeting about some Horse Racing Ireland CEO appointment. (Mad urgent stuff!)

Her solicitor stayed it court to represent her apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I dont for a minute believe that. Unfortunately the Gardái have lost their most vital tool in dealing with crime, local knowledge.

I agree people need to hammer local reps about the lack of policing and Gardái on the beat.

I reported a case about 2 years ago. Went to follow it up and they had no record of my 4 calls to them, even though I could give them exact times I called, or their 2 calls to me. I complained verbally at the time when I should have put it in writing. This would have been a criminal damage case.

I know of a recent case of assault of a public servant and after a number of enquiries about the status of the case "its ongoing" is the reply. I have asked for it to be taken up by a union official.

There are plenty of petty crimes taking place, theft of bikes etc which people are not bothering to report. They just put it on facebook and hope someone spots it.

I knocked down a chap about 6 months ago. He shot of the path on a bike and the bike was fairly mangled. I jumped out to see if he was ok and he bolted when I took out my phone. Next thing I see is post on facebook about a bike stolen from Skerries rd corner. Never heard back from Gardái about it.

It is easy for crime figures to fall when we hear about how different crimes are categorised by Gardái, or not entered in their system at all, like mine above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'd ask Clare Daly about such crimes and those who commit them but she's a bit busy defending their human rights.

I'm looking forward to seeing Ms Daly championing the human rights of those people who suffered as a result of Leon Wright's 84 convictions - 34 of which were for assault & a couple of stabbings to mention the robberies & firearms offences. We're not talking victimless crimes here. Not by a long chalk.

To me, this is populism gone mad. Fighting for the underdog is well & good, but there's a point at which you stop going lower to find the under-underdog.

Go Clare, yeah right! :mad:

I was only vaguely aware of this case, until your post tHB.

Full report here

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/tds-wallace-and-daly-in-court-to-support-criminal-leon-wright-who-was-cleared-of-assaulting-a-prison-officer-35144741.html

In particular, note

Leon Wright is regarded by both staff and management at Irish jails as Ireland's most dangerous inmate.

Although he is just 28 years of age Wright has already amassed over 84 previous convictions including robberies, 34 assaults and firearms offences.
    He is serving time for a knife rampage on Dublin’s Grafton Street in 2013 while on bail for assaulting two gardaí.

But some of his most serious crimes have happened behind bars.

Wright has been disciplined over 212 times in prison. He has attacked over two dozen guards while in jail and left many with very serious injuries.
    Such is the fear surrounding the inmate that only trained control and restraint officers can deal with him and they must don riot gear for any interractions.

If he is being moved at least six prison officers, dressed in protective clothing and helmets, will accompany him.

A senior source said: "Wright is one of the worst, if not the worst that the prison system has ever come across.
    "Anywhere he goes he need the C&R (Control and Restraint) guys accompanying him.

"In terms of his physical aggression towards staff, it is unprecedented."

A worthy cause indeed :mad:

I'm looking forward to seeing Ms Daly championing the human rights of those people who suffered as a result of Leon Wright's 84 convictions - 34 of which were for assault & a couple of stabbings to mention the robberies & firearms offences. We're not talking victimless crimes here. Not by a long chalk.

To me, this is populism gone mad. Fighting for the underdog is well & good, but there's a point at which you stop going lower to find the under-underdog.

^populism^ ETA: I don't see how what Clare Daly did there is populism, how would it bring her votes from most of the population

Did you ever notice,that the legal profession never go on strike for better pay or that there is a shortage of legal eagles and barristers because they have fled the jurisdiction to find higher paid job's abroad like their counterpart's in health.
    NO because they are so well paid(remunerated)and have it so good here,they don't have too.
    Maybe we need a legal equilient of the HSE,to bring these over paid pompous,self serving legal leech's down to earth with a bang.
    A caller to Joe Duffy recently describing a court case settlement .. re a minor car bump in a car park to a claimant with a 01 D car,the claimant was awarded 1,200 euro's , the brief for the insurance company got 7,500 euro's and the brief for the claimant's insurance company got 18,000 euro's ,the caller said the crash surveyor who did all the work and visited the car park twice to take photo's etc and examined the car's got paid 905 euro's.
    And we wonder why our car insurance is so high,I don't know which are the biggest gangster's ,the one's in the dock or the one's in the bench's.
    Laughable stuff the Leo story if it were not for the fact that he will be out soon and by the way has another case pending claiming emotional distress due to his treatment and confinement condition's in prison,I kid you not.
    I remember a few year's ago , a prisoner was paid in excess of 100k ,having fallen off the top of the prison wall in Mountjoy jail during an escape attempt,(the poor lamb,broke both his leg's)his claim was upheld ,in so far as the State had failed in it's duty of care to keep him safe and secure during his confinement.
    Even if they cut the pay of these over paid legal leech's by 25%,it would probably pay for an across the board pay rise for not only the Gaurds ,but the prison officer's too,with a bit left over.
    When will we ever get a government with the bottle to take on the legal profession and put them on probation and community service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I see Clare Daly more as a misguided activist than a politician. How she keeps getting elected baffles me.

Well that was a good auld rant above-feel much better now,but I tell ye,if I were banged up and was told Clare and imself were out in the visiting room,I'd ask to be put in solitary so they would't be able to get to me.

Are these guys related?

http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2016/10/25/farrell-and-obrien-at-loggerheads-again/
    Local Fine Gael TD, Alan Farrell has responded to fellow Malahide man and Fianna Fail TD, Darragh O’Brien’s article in last week’s issue of the County Leader, entitled, ‘North County Left Behind In Budget.”

These guys write the budget together, pass it together and then start a pantomine

• Advertisement

jwwb wrote: »
    Are these guys related?

http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2016/10/25/farrell-and-obrien-at-loggerheads-again/

These guys write the budget together, pass it together and then start a pantomine

They are not related, ( I don't think so anyway )

Remember all politics are local, they are showing off, for your vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

dslamjack wrote: »
    Well that was a good auld rant above-feel much better now

Ranting aside, most lawyers are self employed or work in very small firms here, the kind of firms who in whatever occupation never have strikes.

I understand that Caraway, actually the Legal Service's regulatory board comes in to effect today and had it's first meeting today.
    So maybe some small inroad's can be made into bringing this 18th century profession in to the modern world we live in,and let market force's apply to them as much as it does to the rest of the workforce and population.
    My main beef was the absolutely absurd amount's of money being paid to barrister's and law firm's,even after the 10's of million's they got after the various tribunal's nothing was done.
    Maybe the new regulator might curb this profession's excess's,the state is the biggest customer of this profession after all,for year's it's being a case of the tail wagging the dog ,instead of the opposite.
    The law reform commission move's slower than traffic on Dame Street,the biggest problem we have is lack of a purpose built modern maximum security prison.
    Also,the lack of proper sentencing , in my view ,jury should have the ability to recommend a whole life term ,and in lieu of hanging,life should mean life,not 25 yer's,in which 12 year's is automatically discounted for ''good behaviour'' before the sentence is even begun.
    Also,a person can only serve 1 ''life sentence'',where more than 1 murder is committed, sentence's cannot be served consecutively.
    This was the result of a case a couple of year's ago ,where a man raped and strangled a mother in her own home on christmas eve,then set the house on fire to cover his crime,killing 2 little girl's asleep in their bed.
    He could only serve the one sentence instead of 3 one after the other,he's probably out now.
    Or J O Reilly with an appeal lodged nearly every year he's been in,or the scum who reversed over a gaurd and laughed,you could go on for a week - longer.
    We need American style accountability to the Victim's and taxpayer's,at some stage a judge has to say enough is enough,prison for 40 year's or as the Yank's say till frog's learn how to do algebra.
    There is no rehabilitating the like's of Leo Wright and his kind,any rehabilitation they need can be given behind bar's,where they should be kept till they are too old and infirm to pose a risk to anyone.

Back on topic,I see Clare and imself,along with the loony left wanted a halloween break for the Dail,they only came back from summer holiday's on the 27th Sept.
    Thankfully,and I hate saying it common sense prevailed,when the unlikely coalition of Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil, Sinn Féin and Labour voted against a proposal to adjourn for the mid-term break.
    Maybe Clare and imself are tired out from visiting banged up nutter's in nick or needed time out to wash their hi vis vest's for another vist to Shannon Airport,it's a shame she seem's to have forgotten her much put upon constituent's in Fingal.

Following on from this case, I see the individual, who Clare, Mick etc offered to put up Bail for has been sentenced

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/mick-wallace-and-clare-daly-among-sureties-on-bail-application-for-man-arrested-on-ira-and-explosive-charges-34296361.html

A man arrested in May on IRA and explosives charges was refused bail for the third time at the Special Criminal Court today.

Three TDs, Mick Wallace, Clare Daly and Maureen O'Sullivan, were among seven proposed independent sureties on the man's bail application and were prepared to offer sureties of €5,000 each, the court heard.
    Donal O'Coisdealbha (23), who has been in custody for seven months, told the court that the TDs are "friends of the family".

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1206/836863-ira-court-sentencing/

A man has been sentenced to five-and-half years in prison after being arrested on explosive charges in the lead up to the visit of Britain's Prince Charles last year.

Donal Ó Coisdealbha, 25, from Abbeyfield, Killester in Dublin admitted being a member of a dissident republican organisation.

Nice friends you have Clare.:eek:

This gets better, or worse, the gentleman sentenced and referred to above, ^^
    Is apparently the son of James Monaghan, one of the so called " Columbia Three".
    Three Irishmen arrested in Columbia, while searching for rare plants, or something.
    Sentenced for travelling on false passports, but on appeal, convicted of assisting FARC Rebels, and sentenced to 17 years, they were on bail, and had fled the country.

Family friends Clare ?

So the good Dr TD Minister Dr Senator Senator/Dr has returned to his old stomping ground in Lusk followed by a swift exit of the other Drs across the road and the company running the surgery, followed by most of the patients.

A letter went out (apparently in error) saying that patients on a medical card are now transfered to Dr Reilly which was then countered by a letter from the HSE saying this had been done in error and by the way here's the new contact details for your Dr across the road.

jwwb wrote: »
    So the good Dr TD Minister Dr Senator Senator/Dr has returned to his old stomping ground in Lusk followed by a swift exit of the other Drs across the road and the company running the surgery, followed by most of the patients.

A letter went out (apparently in error) saying that patients on a medical card are now transfered to Dr Reilly which was then countered by a letter from the HSE saying this had been done in error and by the way here's the new contact details for your Dr across the road.

I am not a patient of Dr Reilly, nor any of the Doc's in his clinic, so I am not familiar with the arrangments while he was a Minister

I found this article dated may 2014

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/minister-for-health-leases-his-gp-practice-in-north-dublin-1.1807166

Which states that
    Minister for Health James Reilly has leased his GP practice in north Dublin to a company providing support services for health professionals.
    Primacare, which operates 11 primary care centres around the greater Dublin area, took over management of Dr Reilly’s practice in Lusk in March. The Minister had his name restored to the medical register at this time.
    The company says it is not seeking to buy the practice and “there are no discussions to this effect”.

So I presume he has terminated the Lease, and is returning to his practice, even though a lot of the Clients have followed the Doctors who have re-located across the road........strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Well Alan Farrell is playing a blinder in the Dáil. Wonder who does his research?

Dessie Ellis must have thought it was Christmas day. Alan certainly gave him and Martin Ferris plenty of "ammo" No pun intended.

• Advertisement

Hearing rumours that an election may be in the offing. Fine Fail voted agin Fianna Gael last night and the attacks on the shinners seem to be part of the beginning of electioneering.

Advertisement