Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are your local reps

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

jwwb wrote:
    Hearing rumours that an election may be in the offing. Fine Fail voted agin Fianna Gael last night and the attacks on the shinners seem to be part of the beginning of electioneering.

What have you heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Precisely what I said above

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/819847734920355840

Fine Gael senator and deputy leader James Reilly has been referred to gardaí by SIPO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,787 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

jwwb wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/819847734920355840

Fine Gael senator and deputy leader James Reilly has been referred to gardaí by SIPO

Im no fan of F.G or James Reilly but it does seem to a genuine "oversight" He was on R.T.E with Sean O'Rourke about 30 minutes after the story broke and said he would have it sorted by lunchtime.

I felt much to the annoyance of the presenter he was not getting anywhere with Reilly, in terms of tripping him up or making much more of a deal of it.
    Time to move the dial as PK once said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

LeoB wrote: »
    Im no fan of F.G or James Reilly but it does seem to a genuine "oversight" He was on R.T.E with Sean O'Rourke about 30 minutes after the story broke and said he would have it sorted by lunchtime.

I felt much to the annoyance of the presenter he was not getting anywhere with Reilly, in terms of tripping him up or making much more of a deal of it.

if it was such a little deal he could have gotten them the receipt months ago when they asked for it

if it was such a little deal he could have gotten them the receipt months ago when they asked for it

Maybe all Im saying is I thought he explained it fairly well. He accepted it was his fault and it was overlooked with him taking over his practice again and moving from house.

Maybe all Im saying is I thought he explained it fairly well. He accepted it was his fault and it was overlooked with him taking over his practice again and moving from house.
    who elses fault would it be but his?

These limits were brought in as an anti-corruption measure to ensure no undue influence. James Reilly chose to prioritise other things ahead of his statutory obligations. There have been too many tribunals where findings of corruption have been made to allow anyone in the political sphere a free pass.

Spending of each candidate in Fingal for GE 2016

Candidate EA/Candidate expenditure in constituency National Agent/Party expenditure on candidate in constituency Total Expenses incurred Constituency Spending Limit
    Mr. Darragh O'Brien €22,281.49 €1,200.00 €23,481.49 €45,200.00
    James Reilly €21,415.72 €357.00 €21,772.72 €45,200.00
    Brendan Ryan €16,951.31 €1,210.00 €18,161.31 €45,200.00
    Alan Farrell €17,629.64 €239.00 €17,868.64 €45,200.00
    Tony Murphy €16,387.15 €30,150.00
    Joe O'Brien €15,819.95 €0.00 €15,819.95 €45,200.00
    Terry Kelleher €7,850.18 €7,892.50 €15,742.68 €45,200.00
    Louise O'Reilly €12,750.54 €2,449.33 €15,199.87 €45,200.00
    Ms. Lorraine Clifford-Lee €5,308.52 €6,769.82 €12,078.34 €45,200.00
    Clare Daly €8,865.45 €0.00 €8,865.45 €45,200.00
    Barry Martin €8,749.99 €0.00 €8,749.99 €45,200.00
    Gerry Molloy €6,503.60 €173.55 €6,677.15 €45,200.00
    Roslyn Fuller €1,292.13 €30,150.00
    Fergal O'Connell €0.00 €30,150.00
    Marcus De Brun €0.00 €30,150.00

Source: http://www.sipo.gov.ie/en/Reports/Election-Reports/D%C3%A1il-General-Election-26-February-2016/Appendix-1-Tables.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

martinn123 wrote: »

Didn't realise my union contributions were being donated to a candidates campaign:mad: Fun when I ask question about this at the A.G.M in 2 weeks time.

I dont think Mr Reilly quite fits the same category as what went on before in terms of "payments" to politicians, but yes of course he should have had his house in order. The laws must be obeyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Hi folks, what shouldn't be lost in this thread is that in 2012 we passed and enacted very good legislation in regards to donation limits and standardised reporting. Not one representative or candidate in Dubin Fingal has breached the rules, so far as I am aware, and I think thats a really good thing.

Regardless of politics or ideology, the law is the law. Politics cost money and the purpose of changes made in the early 2000's and more recently was to ensure that politics was kept honest, but also to ensure that your back ground or bank account balance didn't stop you from entering representative politics. I think the results of the 2014 local elections highlighted this in a profound way. We are extraordinarily diverse in this constituency, both ethnically, socially and politically and I am really happy to see that continue.

I think we have a bright future ahead.

Keep talking, keep watching and keep typing.

Not one representative or candidate in Dubin Fingal has breached the rules, so far as I am aware, and I think thats a really good thing.
    you must have missed the SIPO report, here it is for you http://www.sipo.gov.ie/en/Reports/Election-Reports/D%C3%A1il-General-Election-26-February-2016/Election-spending-by-candidates-and-political-parties.html, 4 Dublin Fingal candidates have.

actually I tell a lie its atleast 6 because Clare Daly and Barry Martin as a member and candidates of the 'Independents 4 Change' political party didn't submit audited accounts as required by SIPO http://www.sipo.gov.ie/en/Reports/Political-Parties-Statements-of-Accounts/2015-Political-Parties-Statements-of-Accounts/Accounts-furnished-by-political-parties.html (although tbf the party did say it didn't have any monetary transactions at all in 2015)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

you must have missed the SIPO report, here it is for you http://www.sipo.gov.ie/en/Reports/Election-Reports/D%C3%A1il-General-Election-26-February-2016/Election-spending-by-candidates-and-political-parties.html, 4 Dublin Fingal candidates have.

actually I tell a lie its atleast 6 because Clare Daly and Barry Martin as a member and candidates of the 'Independents 4 Change' political party didn't submit audited accounts as required by SIPO http://www.sipo.gov.ie/en/Reports/Political-Parties-Statements-of-Accounts/2015-Political-Parties-Statements-of-Accounts/Accounts-furnished-by-political-parties.html (although tbf the party did say it didn't have any monetary transactions at all in 2015)

Hi Steve, I would understand why on first reading you might have missed my nuanced comment. No candidate or representative has breached the donation rules, as far as I am aware. Reporting rules are another matter. I can't comment on the candidates who were not successful or the particulars behind the failure of a party to non-disclose as I am not privy to the reasons, however, SIPO made a great deal of commentary and suggestions on the why. No doubt they will feature in future legislation.

Hi Steve, I would understand why on first reading you might have missed my nuanced comment. No candidate or representative has breached the donation rules, as far as I am aware. Reporting rules are another matter. I can't comment on the candidates who were not successful or the particulars behind the failure of a party to non-disclose as I am not privy to the reasons, however, SIPO made a great deal of commentary and suggestions on the why. No doubt they will feature in future legislation.

I was replying to what you said
    what shouldn't be lost in this thread is that in 2012 we passed and enacted very good legislation in regards to donation limits and standardised reporting. Not one representative or candidate in Dubin Fingal has breached the rules, so far as I am aware, and I think thats a really good thing.
    my reply stands, 4 have.

http://www.sipo.gov.ie/en/Reports/Election-Reports/D%C3%A1il-General-Election-26-February-2016/Election-spending-by-candidates-and-political-parties.html
    Table 2: No documentation provided; referred to Gardaí

DeBrun, Marcus Non Party Dublin Fingal
    O'Connell, Fergal Non Party Dublin Fingal

Table 3 shows the 43 people who failed to provide the required documentation listed or have not provided clarification or further details as requested by the Standards Commission and were referred to the Gardaí.

Table 3: Incomplete documentation provided; referred to Gardaí
    Molloy, Gerry Renua Ireland Dublin Fingal CMD, DS & SD
    Reilly, James Fine Gael Dublin Fingal Proof that excess donation was not returned

Excess Donations by unsuccessful candidates: 2 more DF candidates I forgot about...
    http://www.sipo.gov.ie/en/Reports/Election-Reports/D%C3%A1il-General-Election-26-February-2016/Excess-Donations-by-unsuccessful-candidates.pdf
    Fine Gael James Reilly Dublin Fingal Denis Hartford €1000 cash
    donation
    Awaiting
    confirmation that
    the excess amount
    was returned *status at 12
    December 2016

Non Party Tony Murphy Dublin Fingal Country Crest €1000 (fundraising
    launch)
    €800 excess
    returned

The Green
    Party
    Joe O’Brien Dublin Fingal Dublin Fingal
    Greens
    €1000 cheque
    received
    €800 excess

Keep talking, keep watching and keep typing.

Watching and waiting for action on the Moriarty Tribunal findings. Any update?

I see Alan Farrell has issued a statement on the position of Enda Kenny

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-td-says-kenny-position-untenable-calls-for-him-to-step-down-1.2979182

Calling on Enda to Go, sooner rather than later, and that he has no confidence in him

Personally, I see this as an attempt to seize the upper hand locally, on James Reilly, who is Deputy Leader of FG, but who lost his seat in the GE.

Otherwise he has been promised a Junior Ministery, by Varadkar or Coveney

The general reaction nationally seems to be '' Who is Alan Farrell''

http://alanfarrell.ie/?p=3294

I can't believe no-one has mentioned the Senator, the Seagull and the Lasergun

Former Green Party leader Trevor Sargent to become priest:
    'The boss is Jesus Christ'
    Trevor Sargent (56), former Green Party leader, now training to be a Church of Ireland Minister

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/former-green-party-leader-trevor-sargent-to-become-priest-the-boss-is-jesus-christ-35624746.html

Our Former Minister here in DCN, is set on a new career.

I would certainly wish him well in his new calling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Best of luck to Trevor, he always came across as a spiritual person. I'd imagine he'd make a very good minister.

I can't believe no-one has mentioned the Senator, the Seagull and the Lasergun

Looks like Alan has stolen Lorraine's idea.

http://www.dublinpeople.com/news/northsideeast/articles/2017/04/28/4139206-government-clampdown-on-dangerous-gulls-in-balbriggan/

Find something mildly controversial that everyone can be agin. Get a few headlines. Make zero impact

Wonder if the EU will have anything to say about interfering with an endangered species?

Looks like Alan has stolen Lorraine's idea.

http://www.dublinpeople.com/news/northsideeast/articles/2017/04/28/4139206-government-clampdown-on-dangerous-gulls-in-balbriggan/

Find something mildly controversial that everyone can be agin. Get a few headlines. Make zero impact

Wonder if the EU will have anything to say about interfering with an endangered species?

can anyone find the instrument the Minister signed?

EU Birds Directive Art. 9 Derogations https://www.npws.ie/legislation/irish-law/eu-birds-directive-derogations was looking for it on this page last week only update after I emailed dept :/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Disappointed though not surprised at how our TDs voted in this nonsense about prayer in the Dáil. There shouldn't be any prayer and to enforce it while standing is discriminatory to non-Christian, non-religious and disabled people.

Darragh O'Brien and Alan Farrell voted for, Clare Daly against and Louise O'Reilly abstained, a total cop-out.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Disappointed though not surprised at how our TDs voted in this nonsense about prayer in the D?il. There shouldn't be any prayer and to enforce it while standing is discriminatory to non-Christian, non-religious and disabled people.

Darragh O'Brien and Alan Farrell voted for, Clare Daly against and Louise O'Reilly abstained, a total cop-out.
    well i think the CC would use his discretion re those that can't stand and he's probably not going to enforce the rule he just oversaw implementing because thats the (Christian) Irish solution to an Irish problem.

Disappointed though not surprised at how our TDs voted in this nonsense about prayer in the Dáil. There shouldn't be any prayer and to enforce it while standing is discriminatory to non-Christian, non-religious and disabled people.

You forgot Brendan Ryan also voting for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Will certainly be bringing up this nonsense if they come knocking on my door.

well i think the CC would use his discretion re those that can't stand and he's probably not going to enforce the rule he just oversaw implementing because thats the (Christian) Irish solution to an Irish problem.

I dont see what harm it does. We have had many in the dail who were not "catholic" (nor very Christian;)) and it was never an issue.

I feel we are being way too politically correct. There is a need for respect ok.

I dont see what harm it does. We have had many in the dail who were not "catholic" (nor very Christian;)) and it was never an issue.

I feel we are being way too politically correct. There is a need for respect ok.
    the Ceann Comhairle is always a member of the Council of state but

4 Every member of the Council of State shall at the first meeting thereof which he attends as a member take and subscribe a declaration in the following form:

"In the presence of Almighty God I do solemnly and sincerely promise and declare that I will faithfully and conscientiously fulfil my duties as a member of the Council of State."
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/cons/en/html#part9

• Advertisement

martinn123 wrote: »
    I see Alan Farrell has issued a statement on the position of Enda Kenny

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-td-says-kenny-position-untenable-calls-for-him-to-step-down-1.2979182

Calling on Enda to Go, sooner rather than later, and that he has no confidence in him

Personally, I see this as an attempt to seize the upper hand locally, on James Reilly, who is Deputy Leader of FG, but who lost his seat in the GE.

Otherwise he has been promised a Junior Ministery, by Varadkar or Coveney

The general reaction nationally seems to be '' Who is Alan Farrell''

http://alanfarrell.ie/?p=3294

So will Alan be rewarded for his statement of no confidence, by Leo, with a Junior Ministry.

The Local Papers are spinning that he may be in line for a promotion, but I suspect all the Regional Papers are championing their local TD.

My own guess is that he will not get the nod this time.....thoughts?

Advertisement