Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are your local reps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Has anyone got links for all the TD clinic times and locations? I found its pretty hard to find info for two of them. You have to contact there constituency office or email them.

James Reilly Clinics

?

Clare Daly Clinics

?

Clare Daly doesn't hold clinics in the traditional sense. I contacted her about an issue some months back and she sent the following reply.
    Clare Daly wrote:
    I don't have clinics as such, I find it's quicker to initially discuss matters over the phone so we can start working on a case, and then meet up at a mutually suitable time. Give me a shout and we'll try and sort something.

Which was fair enough in my opinion.

James Reilly's office's reply to my e-mail was the following
    I refer to your correspondence of today's date and your query in relation to Constituency Clinics. The public office of the constituency office is open from Monday to Thursday 10.30a.m. until 12.30p.m. contact details below. If there is an issue of particular importance which you would like to bring to Dr. Reilly's attention you can email details to the office and it will be brought to his attention at the earliest opportunity.

Constituency Office of
    Dr. James Reilly T D Dublin North
    Minister for Health
    1st Floor,Unit 3,
    Chamber Building,
    North Street,
    Swords,
    Co. Dublin
    01 8901300

Which again was fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Always happy to help when required.

I also have a clinic on the first Monday of each month at 830 in the Rush Community Centre should you wish to speak to me directly.

Unfortunately, the Rush Garda Station meeting clashed with another meeting but I understand the Garda present explained the ramifications and potential improvements to response times.

So Alan is due to have a clinic in Rush on Monday 2nd April.

Brendan Ryan is nearly always available. Very approachable and easy to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

LeoB wrote: »
    So Alan is due to have a clinic in Rush on Monday 2nd April.

Brendan Ryan is nearly always available. Very approachable and easy to deal with.

Mahon found another person like that in NCD politics once you paid your consultancy fees. Pages 1869-1875 Since she called using the Eastern Health Board phones perhaps her great friend and husband business partner Dr James Reilly should send her a back dated phone bill from the Dept of Health.

Mahon found another person like that in NCD politics once you paid your consultancy fees. Pages 1869-1875 Since she called using the Eastern Health Board phones perhaps her great friend and husband business partner Dr James Reilly should send her a back dated phone bill from the Dept of Health.

Cant get in on that link. Will try later. Off to a software night:D Thats PHOTOGRAPHY not Po*********y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,787 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Warning: Clicking on this link in the above post opens a 56MB file.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Not off beaten track, on Main St. No "No Junk Mail" sign on my door!! Have no recollection of getting items except 1 posted to me.
    (I would suggest using An Post for leaflet drops) Great service in rural areas.
    I can only assume that you are one of the houses that doesn't get done by my distributor in that case.

I know you work for An Post so I will limit my comment to; they are too expensive for my requirements.
    Will pop up to clinc

I just feel not only you but every other rep have ignored on Rush again, especially our large elderly citizens who mostly live in single dwellings and dont always have the comfort of neighbours right next door.

I have represented Rush for 12 months so you'll have to be patient. I can only speak for myself.

Fair enough reply Alan.
    I can only assume that you are one of the houses that doesn't get done by my distributor in that case.

I know you work for An Post so I will limit my comment to; they are too expensive for my requirements. .
    You pay for what you get.
    An Post deliver to houses some leaflet companies dont know exist
    I have represented Rush for 12 months so you'll have to be patient. I can only speak for myself.
    You will understand the cynacism of some locals Alan. Nothing but broken promises for years.

Latest bombshell which I dont have details of But did I hear St. Josephs or Rush N.S off school building programme? or both?

YET A SCHOOL THAT CANT FILL THEIR PLACES ARE ON THE LIST:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

St Joseph's school will be taking in 180 first years into a school that last year had in total 500 pupils. There is still a waiting list... Every other school is also over subscribed.

I contacted various local TDs (Reilly and Ryan) and got a standard letter back from both. Went to attend Ryan's clinic in Lusk and there was a no show and got no reply when I asked about this.

Between the election and September this year there will have been 18 months to put in place something to deal with this crisis but nothing except a nice bun fight to see who gets patronage of a new school.

Personally - having voted for the government TDs in this constituency I am livid.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

SeaSide wrote: »
    St Joseph's school will be taking in 180 first years into a school that last year had in total 500 pupils. There is still a waiting list... Every other school is also over subscribed.

I contacted various local TDs (Reilly and Ryan) and got a standard letter back from both. Went to attend Ryan's clinic in Lusk and there was a no show and got no reply when I asked about this.

Between the election and September this year there will have been 18 months to put in place something to deal with this crisis but nothing except a nice bun fight to see who gets patronage of a new school.

Personally - having voted for the government TDs in this constituency I am livid.

You make an interesting point. This is a result of the lack of joined up Local Government in Ireland. It would be reasonable to expect the same authority (in this case Fingal County Council) responsible for the delivery of housing, would also be responsible for the delivery of social infrastructure such as schools etc. As is the case in other European countries.

Unfortunately it seems such joined up thinking does not exist in Ireland. The local authority can provide housing which will deliver growth in population but does not deliver the necessary support services/infrastructure such as public transport and schools. Maybe that is something to talk to local reps about. I for one would be interested in their opinion.

Hope you have luck and get a school place.

Fair enough reply Alan.

You pay for what you get.
    An Post deliver to houses some leaflet companies dont know exist

I accept that completely.
    You will understand the cynacism of some locals Alan. Nothing but broken promises for years.

Latest bombshell which I dont have details of But did I hear St. Josephs or Rush N.S off school building programme? or both?

YET A SCHOOL THAT CANT FILL THEIR PLACES ARE ON THE LIST:confused:

I do understand, its quite common.

The following link (which you probably know already) will provide some information regarding St. Josephs who have probably only completed their masterplan. http://www.stjosephsrush.ie/node/112

I've put in a request for further information from the department and I'll get back to you on it.

• Advertisement

Hi seaside, Lusk secondary school is not delayed and will be delivered regardless of patronage issue which isn't related in any way to the delivery of a building. We should see it open in 2014 with construction beginning next year.

A new primary school for Rush will be delivered by 2016 and I think you can see from my last post that the secondary school will also receive attention once they finalise their plans (which I'm looking into).

I put some more information on my website on March 14th if you wanted to take a peek.

Did you write to me?

Did you write to me?

Yes and your reply was:

"Fine Gael will fast track the delivery of a school to Lusk as I am sure you will agree, it is not acceptable to have no secondary school in the town given the towns expanding population."

You make an interesting point. This is a result of the lack of joined up Local Government in Ireland. It would be reasonable to expect the same authority (in this case Fingal County Council) responsible for the delivery of housing, would also be responsible for the delivery of social infrastructure such as schools etc. As is the case in other European countries.

Unfortunately it seems such joined up thinking does not exist in Ireland. The local authority can provide housing which will deliver growth in population but does not deliver the necessary support services/infrastructure such as public transport and schools. Maybe that is something to talk to local reps about. I for one would be interested in their opinion.

Hope you have luck and get a school place.
    Seems there is joined up thinking on nothing in this area, nothing new there and this has always been the way and in fairness not just the current government but no matter who was in power. We had people who just looked after their own patch when they were in. This is the commonly held view around here as you know.

So IF the schools are delivered will these schools be like the ones in Dublin 15 (Harristown) which is given over from 6.30 for use by the community? Did Fingal not back this?

I have not much faith in anything being delivered to this area.

Hi seaside, Lusk secondary school is not delayed and will be delivered regardless of patronage issue which isn't related in any way to the delivery of a building. We should see it open in 2014 with construction beginning next year.

A new primary school for Rush will be delivered by 2016 and I think you can see from my last post that the secondary school will also receive attention once they finalise their plans (which I'm looking into).

I put some more information on my website on March 14th if you wanted to take a peek.

Just had a peek at your blog and a few other notes and there is Nothing to suggest anything will be done to sustain and further develop St. Josephs in Rush which is now one of the top achieving secondary schools in Dublin. Approx 120/130 1st years started last September and this year its heading for 180.

Just had a peek at your blog and a few other notes and there is Nothing to suggest anything will be done to sustain and further develop St. Josephs in Rush which is now one of the top achieving secondary schools in Dublin. Approx 120/130 1st years started last September and this year its heading for 180.

Link? I remember a thread here saying this before but St Josephs never appears in the Sunday Times School rankings for kids that go on to university do NCD doesn't do well at all in that list. Not knocking them just interested to see a Link.

Link? I remember a thread here saying this before but St Josephs never appears in the Sunday Times School rankings for kids that go on to university do NCD doesn't do well at all in that list. Not knocking them just interested to see a Link.

I read it in the 'Irish Times School League Tables' supplement last year. I can't find a link on line but I recall St Joseph's being shaded by Skerries Community College and Loreto in Balbriggan, by a couple of percentage points. Think it came in 3rd place of Nth County schools.

*Don't quote me on that because it's from memory.;)

Seems there is joined up thinking on nothing in this area, nothing new there and this has always been the way and in fairness not just the current government but no matter who was in power. We had people who just looked after their own patch when they were in. This is the commonly held view around here as you know.

So IF the schools are delivered will these schools be like the ones in Dublin 15 (Harristown) which is given over from 6.30 for use by the community? Did Fingal not back this?

I have not much faith in anything being delivered to this area.

I know what you mean. It might be more effective to have a stronger, cohesive approach to local issues. For example, perhaps if there was a closer relationship between the clubs in the town we might see things happen. An example might be if St Maur's GAA and Rush Athletic joined forces in getting pitches and sports facilities delivered for the town instead of seeing each other as rivals or letting people who have no idea about what facilities are required (ie. RCC) be the link to the council. If that was the case, I guarantee that the community/sports section of the council would be under no illusion as to what was required by the sports clubs in the town. It would be a direct collective approach and in my opinion, would reap dividends. Just a thought.

Thanks for that. I see Loreto Balbriggan there, Skerries CC and St Joseph's are obviously outside the top 20.

Not certain if I am allowed to post all this or a link. Mods please edit as required.

from: http://www.schooldays.ie/sch/st-josephs-secondary-school-rollnumber-60343T/reports

Leaving Cert & College Numbers
    Total sitting Leaving Cert 2011: 57. College places as follows:
    UCD 1 , DCU 6 , TCD 2 , NUIM 1 , DIT 15 , Blanchardstown 2 , Dun Laoire 1 , Dundalk 5 , Letterkenny 1 , Tralee 1 , Tallaght 2 , National College of Ireland 4 , Total of main colleges 41.
    Total sitting Leaving Cert 2010: 99. College places as follows:
    UCD 1 , DCU 3 , TCD 3 , NUIM 2 , UL 1 , DIT 12 , Blanchardstown 4 , Dun Laoire 3 , Dundalk 9 , Galway Mayo 1 , Total of main colleges 39.
    Total sitting Leaving Cert 2009: 51. College places as follows:
    UCD 3 , DCU 3 , NUIM 1 , DIT 12 , Blanchardstown 7 , Dundalk 5 , Tralee 1 , Tallaght 2 , Waterford 1 , Total of main colleges 35.
    Total sitting Leaving Cert 2008: 74. College places as follows:
    UCD 1 , DCU 1 , TCD 1 , NUIM 1 , UL 1 , DIT 9 , AIT 1 , Carlow IT 1 , Dun Laoire 1 , Dundalk 8 , Tralee 1 ,
    Total sitting Leaving Cert 2007: 47. College places as follows:
    UCD 2 , DCU 3 , NUIM 1 , DIT 4 , Carlow IT 1 , Dun Laoire 3 , Dundalk 3 , Waterford 1 , Total of main colleges 18.
    Total sitting Leaving Cert 2006: 44. College places as follows:
    DCU 5 , NUIM 2 , DIT 6 , Blanchardstown 2 , Dun Laoire 1 , Dundalk 2 , Total of main colleges ?.

• Advertisement

Not certain if I am allowed to post all this or a link. Mods please edit as required.

I think that's just 2009, SeaSide. I'll try get my hands on the 2011 figures and post them. The 2011 figures are much better.

I know what you mean. It might be more effective to have a stronger, cohesive approach to local issues. For example, perhaps if there was a closer relationship between the clubs in the town we might see things happen. An example might be if St Maur's GAA and Rush Athletic joined forces in getting pitches and sports facilities delivered for the town instead of seeing each other as rivals or letting people who have no idea about what facilities are required (ie. RCC) be the link to the council. If that was the case, I guarantee that the community/sports section of the council would be under no illusion as to what was required by the sports clubs in the town. It would be a direct collective approach and in my opinion, would reap dividends. Just a thought.

I see your point and cant say I agree fully. You obviously know my history, and know St. Maurs went out a limb over Fingal sports campus.........
    There is a good relationship between the clubs, Maurs left St. Catherines to Rush Ath last year, but we come at things from different angle. While I dont want to cause offence to anyone Maurs get quite a bit more done, mind you we are a bigger club with bigger playing numbers (I would say that), our club infrastructure is good and we have a 10year plan. Shared facilities were a non runner for us mainly because we have 53 teams so an all weather facility would not be much use to us if we had to share it, and I didnt hear anybody cry foul when G.A.A. was omitted from the sports campus.Fingal are well aware of what our requirement are, we gave them a superb submission, (you may have been there or seen it). But in the 30 years since Aras Naomh Maur was built we have been looking for 4 street lights on Park Rd and 4 on Palmer Rd and despite many promises we still await. Considering Fingal, then Dublin CC gave us a good grant in 1981 towards the cost of the clubhouse its a pity they could not provide proper acccess .

from: http://www.schooldays.ie/sch/st-josephs-secondary-school-rollnumber-60343T/reports

Leaving Cert & College Numbers
    Total sitting Leaving Cert 2011: 57. College places as follows:
    UCD 1 , DCU 6 , TCD 2 , NUIM 1 , DIT 15 , Blanchardstown 2 , Dun Laoire 1 , Dundalk 5 , Letterkenny 1 , Tralee 1 , Tallaght 2 , National College of Ireland 4 , Total of main colleges 41.
    Total sitting Leaving Cert 2010: 99. College places as follows:
    UCD 1 , DCU 3 , TCD 3 , NUIM 2 , UL 1 , DIT 12 , Blanchardstown 4 , Dun Laoire 3 , Dundalk 9 , Galway Mayo 1 , Total of main colleges 39.
    Total sitting Leaving Cert 2009: 51. College places as follows:
    UCD 3 , DCU 3 , NUIM 1 , DIT 12 , Blanchardstown 7 , Dundalk 5 , Tralee 1 , Tallaght 2 , Waterford 1 , Total of main colleges 35.
    Total sitting Leaving Cert 2008: 74. College places as follows:
    UCD 1 , DCU 1 , TCD 1 , NUIM 1 , UL 1 , DIT 9 , AIT 1 , Carlow IT 1 , Dun Laoire 1 , Dundalk 8 , Tralee 1 ,
    Total sitting Leaving Cert 2007: 47. College places as follows:
    UCD 2 , DCU 3 , NUIM 1 , DIT 4 , Carlow IT 1 , Dun Laoire 3 , Dundalk 3 , Waterford 1 , Total of main colleges 18.
    Total sitting Leaving Cert 2006: 44. College places as follows:
    DCU 5 , NUIM 2 , DIT 6 , Blanchardstown 2 , Dun Laoire 1 , Dundalk 2 , Total of main colleges ?.

What are Main collages? I would dispute some of the above figures
    Total sitting Leaving Cert 2010: 99. Total of main colleges 39.
    Total sitting Leaving Cert 2009: 51 Total of main colleges 35.
    Maybe there is a reason for so few to go in 2010 compared to the year before when only 16 didnt go. While 60 didnt go in 2010. From what I know these figures are not a true reflection, no U.K based 3rd level mentioned. Is any account taken of the non national a few of whom returned home or 3 I know who are at 3rd level in U.K.

Its getting away from the point I was making in that St. Josephs have developed greatly over the last 5 years and any fall off in support to further develop it is disgraceful. I and a lot of others would like to see Lusk getting a school and we would be first to wish them every success

I suppose I was quick to have a go at Alan Farrell on a few occasions here and time for me to balance the books somewhat.

Went to his clinic this evening at Rush C.C. and have to say I left quite impressed. Mind you he walked in the door and greeted me by name so a good start for him. Had a few issues to raise if time allowed mainly around, speeding, speed ramps and the conditions of Palmer Rd, re lack of lights between Palmer Ave and St. Maurs G.A.A club whichmakes the road very dangerous for anyone attending training or games in St. Maurs who live in Clifflans, Lambay View and St. Catherines area.

Gave my spiel and Alan took notes and I felt he was quite honest, didnt hold out much in the short term on one issue but would invistagate the other issues and get back to me as soon as possible. Honesty is as much as we can ask for. Chatted briefly about one or two other things but there was a a few waiting to see him.

All in all very cordial. I dont eat humble pie so will go have my few digestives and cup of tea.

I suppose I was quick to have a go at Alan Farrell on a few occasions here and time for me to balance the books somewhat.

Went to his clinic this evening at Rush C.C. and have to say I left quite impressed. Mind you he walked in the door and greeted me by name so a good start for him. Had a few issues to raise if time allowed mainly around, speeding, speed ramps and the conditions of Palmer Rd, re lack of lights between Palmer Ave and St. Maurs G.A.A club whichmakes the road very dangerous for anyone attending training or games in St. Maurs who live in Clifflans, Lambay View and St. Catherines area.

Gave my spiel and Alan took notes and I felt he was quite honest, didnt hold out much in the short term on one issue but would invistagate the other issues and get back to me as soon as possible. Honesty is as much as we can ask for. Chatted briefly about one or two other things but there was a a few waiting to see him.

All in all very cordial. I dont eat humble pie so will go have my few digestives and cup of tea.

Time will tell Leo, how long and and how many TDs and cllrs have you complained about the safety of the roads leading to Maurs? Sure some of them told you they would sort it out. Who pays for these lights and footpaths? The council? The same council whose Manager says it needs the household charge to survive, which will be short this year. Might be a good few years and until the Maurs is surrounded by developments before you get those much needed safety improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,787 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Nice one Leo, but surely the issues with public lighting & the like should be taken up at council level as they are matters for local rather than national government.

Don't get me wrong - if more people got out there like yourself & let politicians (at any level) know what we are thinking I suspect that we wouldn't be in half the crap that we are in. However, I feel that councillors should look after our local issues & TDs should focus on the wider national issues.

Parish pump politics & all that...

/my 2¢

Nice one Leo, but surely the issues with public lighting & the like should be taken up at council level as they are matters for local rather than national government.

Don't get me wrong - if more people got out there like yourself & let politicians (at any level) know what we are thinking I suspect that we wouldn't be in half the crap that we are in. However, I feel that councillors should look after our local issues & TDs should focus on the wider national issues.

/my 2¢

Check out tonight's Frontline on the RTE player when you get a chance THB, it covered the Household charge and Local government. A Labour Cllr from Kilkenny mentioned that TDs who were ex cllrs often are the worst at interfering with local government.

Time will tell Leo, how long and and how many TDs and cllrs have you complained about the safety of the roads leading to Maurs? Sure some of them told you they would sort it out. Who pays for these lights and footpaths? The council? The same council whose Manager says it needs the household charge to survive, which will be short this year. Might be a good few years and until the Maurs is surrounded by developments before you get those much needed safety improvements.

I actually agree but I just said I would raise it as the last person from F.G. I raised it with was the late John Boland. So ye can see I would not be a regular at F.G clinics.

However I did get the impression talking to Alan that Fingal are not in a bad position financially in comparision to others so just maybe its time to pull the Maurs together and launch a pretty serious campaign.

/my 2¢
    It should be a local issue but now more than ever who is pulling the purse strings? Alan's government. Its parish pump politics ok but if it gets 4 lights on Palmer Rd........
    I also agree with you 100% we need more people to start beating a path to politicans door. It is amazing what I hear most days on various local issues and when I ask did you drop into a clinic I get the reply "sure they are all the same". If I continually beat a path to a door I will either not be taken seriously, called a moan or just walk away and leave it. There are plenty of good constructive ideas out there and if people got some assistance to get back on their feet (small enterprise with 3 or 4 people) it would boost confidence. While we are currently in the depths of a crisis I really believe we can turn things around. I can understand the negativity but it wont get us anywhere.
    Check out tonight's Frontline on the RTE player when you get a chance THB, it covered the Household charge and Local government. A Labour Cllr from Kilkenny mentioned that TDs who were ex cllrs often are the worst at interfering with local government.

I would think after Mahon it should become a thing of the past, SHOULD

Finally, one other thing I brought up was the household charge. There is no reason why this should not have gone to An Post. The network of offices is in place and I would basically say fck Europe and do as the French do set out criteria to suit us keping to Irish based companies who employ Irish people/citizens. Just like the French, Italians and Germans who made contracts under a certain amount and so didnt have to go to public tender and are not liable under the E.U rules on this type of stuff. Didnt get into it too deeply but Alan agreed it was badly handled.

Finally, one other thing I brought up was the household charge. There is no reason why this should not have gone to An Post. The network of offices is in place and I would basically say fck Europe and do as the French do set out criteria to suit us keping to Irish based companies who employ Irish people/citizens. Just like the French, Italians and Germans who made contracts under a certain amount and so didnt have to go to public tender and are not liable under the E.U rules on this type of stuff. Didnt get into it too deeply but Alan agreed it was badly handled.

Whats makes you think if An Post handled the payment, people would then pay? I walked by the house of one of Alan local party activists the other day and they had one of those "No to the Household Charge" posters in the window. When you can't even get your supporters to pay it, I think who has the contract for payment is a lesser concern.

P.S Earlier last month before Phil Hogan disappeared last week he muttered on RTE that An Post wanted a 3 euro handling charge for every payment so some discussion must have happened.

I couldn't find the quote but found this blog post from Catherine Byrne(FG) in Jan 2012 complaining that An Post as a semi state won't facilitate the Household Charge for Free. Why couldn't An Post waiver the handling fee for Pensioners?

http://www.build.ie/construction_news.asp?newsid=138305

Whats makes you think if An Post handled the payment, people would then pay? I walked by the house of one of Alan local party activists the other day and they had one of those "No to the Household Charge" posters in the window. When you can't even get your supporters to pay it, I think who has the contract for payment is a lesser concern.

I am not suggesting for moment it would make people pay but there is an excellent network of offices that n one can compete with. It is also a widely used service and easy for people to pay off a few €uro
    P.S Earlier last month before Phil Hogan disappeared last week he muttered on RTE that An Post wanted a 3 euro handling charge for every payment so some discussion must have happened.
    I couldn't find the quote but found this blog post from Catherine Byrne(FG) in Jan 2012 complaining that An Post as a semi state won't facilitate the Household Charge for Free. Why couldn't An Post waiver the handling fee for Pensioners?

http://www.build.ie/construction_news.asp?newsid=138305[/QUOTE]

Its not up to An Post who pays or who does not and I think €3 would be excessive. As for providing a fre service An Post gets no hand outs and is managing to survive albeit with cuts all over the place.. An Post is being constanty put under huge presure from Com Reg, very unfair in my opinion and a contract like this would protect quite a few jobs in communities around the country. A contract like this could be the difference between a rural office remaining open and providing an important service to a rural community who might have already lost their Garda Station and this why we need to ensure these things are kept locally or we will have nothing.

• Advertisement

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/full-house-for-fine-gael-at-850atable-corporate-bash-3094723.html

"Fine Gael's letters were sent out in official Oireachtas envelopes -- the cost of which is funded by the taxpayer -- by the Dublin North branch of the party."

Just because its legal doesn't mean its right!

Anyone from here attend?

Advertisement