Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are your local reps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

After my visit to Alan Farrell's clinic I recieved a very detailed email from him last week. I have been very impressed with him at his clinic and in his responce.

I know its not got me anything as yet but after some of my comments it right that I balance things out.

(I am still on the other side tho)

I have contacted a number of politicans over the last few days on an important issue that I cant get into here at the moment but if it goes national my keyboard friends will be first to hear.

I have to credit Alan Farrell again as his reply by phone was very prompt as was his follow up call today. Same with Darragh O'Brien actually Darragh called me within 10 minutes of my email going to him.

I have been quick to critise Alan on here in the past and probably will do in future but in this my second dealing with him I have to say both myself and my family are impressed. Darragh I would be a supporter of anyway but was suprised by how quick he got back to me.

I await response from other local reps but credit to Alan and Darragh for their responce times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Local reps are so important, and some are very hard-working and willing to help. They definitely influence who we vote for in general elections, that's why it was so awful for those of us in Swords who were lumped in with Dublin West for the last one.
    Hope you get your issue sorted Leo :)

Local reps are so important, and some are very hard-working and willing to help. They definitely influence who we vote for in general elections, that's why it was so awful for those of us in Swords who were lumped in with Dublin West for the last one.

I agree with you we do have some hard working decent local reps. The only thing that bothers me is not enough of them have the balls to policially incorrect on many issues, because something is P.C does not mean its right in all cases....... And I wish a few more would break ranks from time to time. . Despite our current turmoil not enough are going solo. Look at the support Mr. Reilly recieved last night and I bet quite a few dont agree with him but were afraid to go against him.

Do any of you think Clare Daly will be worse off for resigning from her party? Or could it make her stronger out here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

LeoB wrote: »

Do any of you think Clare Daly will be worse off for resigning from her party? Or could it make her stronger out here?

I don't think anything would stop Clare Daly in her tracks. Have to admit I'm not a fan. I think part of the problem with the present government is the amount of Independents and the lack of a strong party. I can't believe the motion of no confidence in O'Reilly failed - he's a disappointment to say the least :(

• Advertisement

I have been involved in a situation for the last few weeks around school transport for a child with special needs with H.S.E Deot of Education and Bus Eireann. As I was getting nowhere I contacted all my local T.Ds and Ministers Rurai Quinn and Ciaran Cannon.

I got an excellent response from everyone of them. Brendan Ryan, Alan Farrell, James Reilly and Clare Daly along with Senator Darragh O'Brien (whom I would be a supporter of).

Darragh and Alan were quick out of the blocks when I contacted them and both got onto case immediatley. I then emailed each one seperatley outling the case in detail and within about 2 hours I had a response from each. I have to say I was quite agitated when dealing with each but each remained quite calm and I feel really took on board my situation and showed genuine empathy.

The issue was finally resolved this evening and as late as 6.30 I was contacted by each one. I got the same message from each and I would imagine each had made a few phone calls this afternoon as all their replies were very similar but very accurate. They went slightly different route for the answers as I compared notes and some names cropped up again.

I have to say I am impressed with the level of support we got. I didnt speak to James Reilly but a lady in his office whos name escapes me just now was excellent, Spoke to Duncan in Brendan Ryans office and had a good chat with Alan Farrell and Darragh O'Brien.

I have been quick to knock them in the past but on this occassion I must compliment them all for the support my family recieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sheeper

Never mind a no confidence vote in Reilly, lets have one on the whole lot of the clowns,
    So we are going off 2007 figures lol how many hospital have lost service since then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,787 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

LeoB - many, many thanks for your comprehensive feedback on that.

tHB

Local reps are so important, and some are very hard-working and willing to help.
    I have never been so vexed at the situation as we found ourselves in and as I said I was suprised at the level of response we got.
    Its the first time I would have been so focused on an issue. I had facts, times, dates and quotes and I just wonder if sometimes we lobby without giving enough information?
    They definitely influence who we vote for in general elections,
    Thats me fckd as they were all good on this issue

Thank you another hiccup today but we are finally sorted.
    Thank crunchie its Friday;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Great that you got a result Leo.

However, isn't it a crazy system we have that you have to get 5 different politicians all chasing one issue in order to get something done. Especially given that the issue is one about getting transport sorted for a special needs child who needs to get to school.

• Advertisement

Great that you got a result Leo.

However, isn't it a crazy system we have that you have to get 5 different politicians all chasing one issue in order to get something done. Especially given that the issue is one about getting transport sorted for a special needs child who needs to get to school.

Crazy aint the word. Considering all the talk on the rights of the child and proposed referendum there is still a lot of work to be done in this area. The line they reworded or deleted should be left there as a reminder of basic human needs for very vunerable people to cling to, "Cherish all our children equally" Its probably a bit hard for some of them to read this line knowing our system does not do this, unless you are quite wealthy.

Its a bit like trying to get into our medical system which can be difficult but once your in the level of care is very good.

You are right though, I should not have had to contact any of them But the thread is about our local reps and I could not take any more beauracy without blowing a fuse and I contacted my reps and as a result each has risen in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Just curious Leo as to whether you think that the issue was something that needed the involvement of a parliamentary rep or was it something that in properly functioning country would have been sorted out at a local level?

Glad you got sorted in and case!

SeaSide wrote: »
    Just curious Leo as to whether you think that the issue was something that needed the involvement of a parliamentary rep or was it something that in properly functioning country would have been sorted out at a local level?

Glad you got sorted in and case!

Nn the issue should have been dealth with by one agency, either Dept of Education or Bus Eireann. However our case I FEEL was to serious to be let drag on and I was getting nowhere after 2 weeks of phone calls. But our problem was growing by the day at a serious rate where it could have done serious damage to a child. I felt I had no other option but to involve T.Ds Senators, and HIQA. It should not come to such a situation but sadly it often does in this country and usually the ones to suffer are the ones who need it most. In this case a child with a sensory and learning disability. I actually emailed RTE and 3 journalists aswell.

As I see it You or I should be able to make an application for any service and recieve an answer in a reasonable time. In this case beuracracy or internal red tape got in the way. "The system failed"

Its like a lot of things in Ireland. The system is good once you get into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Is anyone else in Dublin North aware of this?

Irish Indo
    HOUSEHOLDERS are already planning to deliberately undervalue their houses to cut down on their property tax bills, a government TD has claimed.

There are fines of up to €3,000 in property tax legislation for those who knowingly make a false declaration.

But FG Dublin North TD Alan Farrell said he had learnt that some householders in his constituency were discussing a 'price-fixing' system – so that all the people in their street or estate would provide the same deliberately low value to the Revenue.
    Full Article

For all fans of "Local Politics is National Politics" and having a Minister in your constituency.

Irish Examiner
    The opposition has accused James Reilly, the health minister, of stroke politics once again after it emerged his constituency received €195,000 in lottery funding from the Department of Health last year.
    Dublin North benefited from a further €228,500 in 2011 compared to the €10,000 of National Lottery funding it received from the department in 2010, before Dr Reilly took over the portfolio.
    Link

Irish Times
    Six of the seats on the board of the Irish Blood Transfusion Service are being filled by candidates chosen by Fine Gael, while the remaining three vacancies are in Labour’s gift, documents obtained under freedom of information show.

The nine vacancies were publicly advertised last April. Despite the fact that 28 applications were received, none of these people was appointed.
    Link

If you read the link fully in the above you will notice the name of a certain individual who had very strong local FG links and whose name also cropped up in the "E" thing that must never be ever mentioned again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

So when F.G campaigned on a crusade for ''open & transparent'' Govt. did anyone actually believe those lies.

Politics is for the benefit of the winners, and their party hacks, F.F were the same for all the years they were in power

Similarly 'Labour's Way'' and all that crap, in relation to the Troika.

LeoB's case shows how local Politicians will react to a situation if there is a vote at the end of it, but in National issues they toe the party line and vote like sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

martinn123 wrote: »
    So when F.G campaigned on a crusade for ''open & transparent'' Govt. did anyone actually believe those lies.

Politics is for the benefit of the winners, and their party hacks, F.F were the same for all the years they were in power

LeoB's case shows how local Politicians will react to a situation if there is a vote at the end of it, but in National issues they toe the party line and vote like sheep.

Think they're doing alright myself. Next year will be interesting anyway.

Sadly a huge amount of people did believe them, I didnt mind you. But I think a huge amount of their vote was just a kick in the rocks for F.F.

We got the F.G answer to openness a few weeks after the election in the Irish Independent when Fiach Kelly broke the news of family being appointed to positions

And this is the parish pump stuff we have to get away from. Now if I had a problem tomorrow I would go to any clinic if I thought it would help me.

It has always been my problem with politics that people elected by "US" wont rock the boat and vote against the government while privately they oppose a certain propolal.

I am planning a visit to all clinics in the next month
    re Garda station closures and the fact in Rush we have had 3 armed robberies, break ins, serious assaults and loads of cars have had their windows smashed in.
    The state of Park Rd and Palmer Rd

When I get response I will post replies. (Icould probably post them now)

And this is the parish pump stuff we have to get away from. Now if I had a problem tomorrow I would go to any clinic if I thought it would help me.

It has always been my problem with politics that people elected by "US" wont rock the boat and vote against the government while privately they oppose a certain propolal.

I am planning a visit to all clinics in the next month
    re Garda station closures and the fact in Rush we have had 3 armed robberies, break ins, serious assaults and loads of cars have had their windows smashed in.
    The state of Park Rd and Palmer Rd

When I get response I will post replies. (Icould probably post them now)

While I commend your sense of Community Spirit in raising these issues, can I suggest, as you suspect that you will be wasting your time.
    The Garda station is closed, with another 100 to follow this year, sure senior Gardai said yesterday they do not have enough of a budget to meet current pay requirements.

You might as well make an appointment at AIB HQ to discuss the closure of the Bank, done deal.

TD's will tell you they will make representations etc, to who the Troika??

I agree with your comment that the last Election was primarily a kicking for FF, but we have to remind our local rep's of the crazy promises they made to get our vote, and that we will remember the un-kept promises next time around

While I commend your sense of Community Spirit in raising these issues, can I suggest, as you suspect that you will be wasting your time.
    The Garda station is closed, with another 100 to follow this year, sure senior Gardai said yesterday they do not have enough of a budget to meet current pay requirements.

You might as well make an appointment at AIB HQ to discuss the closure of the Bank, done deal.

TD's will tell you they will make representations etc, to who the Troika??

I agree with your comment that the last Election was primarily a kicking for FF, but we have to remind our local rep's of the crazy promises they made to get our vote, and that we will remember the un-kept promises next time around

I most likely will be wasting my time but these elected people need a message from the electorate.

Having listened to Alan Shatter yesterday on Pat Kenny I think saying the Troika wanted the numbers of Gardái down to under 13,000. I thought holy jeasus they are running the Dept of Justice as well. He was at best pathetic.

I met Alan Farrell, James Reilly and Brendan Ryan before last election and did not believe them and dont now. What bothers me most about them is the fact our Labour rep has not broke ranks despite the fact it is quite openly there to see the amount of his (Labour) workers who are getting fleeced. None of them have the balls to stand up and vote against the government.

I most likely will be wasting my time but these elected people need a message from the electorate.

Having listened to Alan Shatter yesterday on Pat Kenny I think saying the Troika wanted the numbers of Gardái down to under 13,000. I thought holy jeasus they are running the Dept of Justice as well. He was at best pathetic.

Until Dec 2013 at least, they are running every Dept, [ except Health, where Dr James is out of control ]
    LeoB wrote:
    I met Alan Farrell, James Reilly and Brendan Ryan before last election and did not believe them and dont now. What bothers me most about them is the fact our Labour rep has not broke ranks despite the fact it is quite openly there to see the amount of his (Labour) workers who are getting fleeced. None of them have the balls to stand up and vote against the government.

Well if you meet Alan, take a few minutes to read this

http://www.finegael2011.com/pdf/Fine%20Gael%20Manifesto%20low-res.pdf

A few heighlights.
    Manefesto wrote:
    1. Cut the number of politicians by 1/3rd and reduce back office staff working in government
    departments. Our goal is to reduce total public service headcount by 30,000 by 2014 compared to 2010.
    There will be no compulsory redundancies. We will also set a salary cap of €200,000 for everyone.

We will also open up government and make it more accountable. All appointments at senior level will
    be opened up to external competition, with one-third of appointments reserved for external candidates for
    a 5-year period. The annual work objectives of the top 1,300 civil servants will be published online. There
    will be no “golden handshakes” for those who fail to deliver.

I came across a copy of Alan's election poster, it stated ''Reduce No of TD's by 20.

Anyone got copies of Brendan Ryan's Election literature, afraid mine went into the Bin, to help LeoB out with his meetings??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

I met Alan Farrell, James Reilly and Brendan Ryan before last election and did not believe them and dont now. ...

Leo, we never met before the last election.
    Until Dec 2013 at least, they are running every Dept, [ except Health, where Dr James is out of control ]

Well if you meet Alan, take a few minutes to read this

http://www.finegael2011.com/pdf/Fine%20Gael%20Manifesto%20low-res.pdf

A few heighlights.

I came across a copy of Alan's election poster, it stated ''Reduce No of TD's by 20.

Anyone got copies of Brendan Ryan's Election literature, afraid mine went into the Bin, to help LeoB out with his meetings??

Hi Martin. No party won the election, therefore we have no right whatsoever to unilaterally impose our manifesto upon anyone. What you should read is the Programme for Government http://www.merrionstreet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Programme_for_Government_2011.pdf which was agreed with the Labour party and will be implementing until the next election.

That aside, the Constitution provides for 1 TD for between 20-30,000 people. As the population rose far higher than predicted between 2006 and 2011, it was not constitutionally permissible to reduce the number of TD's by 20.

I could further add that that the decision on the reduction of TD's made made by an independent of government body charged with redrawing our electoral boundaries which you can find here. http://www.constituency-commission.ie/

As part of the Programme for Government, we have committed to performing a review of our electoral system under the Constitutional Convention which may include a review of the constitutional provision regarding the number of people per TD.

Finally, we have removed gratuity payments to former ministers at the recent budget which I think covers the "Golden Handshakes" you referenced.

Feel free to email me should you have any follow ups or further questions.

Can I recommend that people take the time in mailing

http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/

to see if they have a copy before binning any local GE/Council Election material. An excellent online historical resource.

Hi Martin. No party won the election, therefore we have no right whatsoever to unilaterally impose our manifesto upon anyone. What you should read is the Programme for Government http://www.merrionstreet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Programme_for_Government_2011.pdf which was agreed with the Labour party and will be implementing until the next election.

That aside, the Constitution provides for 1 TD for between 20-30,000 people. As the population rose far higher than predicted between 2006 and 2011, it was not constitutionally permissible to reduce the number of TD's by 20.

I could further add that that the decision on the reduction of TD's made made by an independent of government body charged with redrawing our electoral boundaries which you can find here. http://www.constituency-commission.ie/

As part of the Programme for Government, we have committed to performing a review of our electoral system under the Constitutional Convention which may include a review of the constitutional provision regarding the number of people per TD.

Finally, we have removed gratuity payments to former ministers at the recent budget which I think covers the "Golden Handshakes" you referenced.

Hi Alan,

many thanks for taking the time to reply to my post here.

I accept of course that FG did not win the Election, outright, when was the last time we had a single party Govt??

So that being the probability I am questioning your ''promise'' to reduce the No of TD's by 20.
    In addition if it is down to an Independent Body, did you even have the prospect of honoring the pledge. I accept the Population figures you quote, when were they disclosed, or were they apparent pre- election??

I accept the removal of certain ''Golden Handshakes to certain former Ministers, however your literature stated '' No Golden handshake for those who fail to deliver'' not those who don't get enough votes, or who Jump Ship over the definition of ''Stroke Politics'' but its a good start

Leo, we never met before the last election.

If I remember correctly I met you first In Malahide and then in Swords, on each occasion your were campaigning and would have met thousands of people. However I should have clarified I did not make a representation to you until after the election. I have also posted favorably about the representations I did make. I did meet James Reilly and Brendan Ryan on numerous occassions. I did mention to you about your presence on the ground around Rush and you told me about the way the areas are divided for canvassing which was fair enough.

By now you will be aware of my use of or poor use of grammer by times. My reference to not believing then and now was to the fact we were in awful mess, still are and while we hear of some green shoots here and there from time to time I dont see things improving in the near future. I like everyone else want to see things improve and a more vigorous hardline fight carried to the troika, this does not appear to be the case or else its just poor spin. We have had a few "hiccups" in the past which, Childrens hospital, Balbriggan appearing out of nowhere on a list for primary care centers (I think it should have one) Roisin Shortall resigning. We were told things would improve with F.F out of power.

Locally we have had our Garda station closed and I dont think its a coincidence there is or appears to be more vandalism, assaults car break-ins not to mention the 3 armed robberies. The Gardái now have to deal with the working time act which will further decrease their presence on the streets and around Rush and our presidency of the E.U will also see resources taken away. A lot of locals feel there has not be much of a fight put up by our reps.

There is a serious PR problem Alan from what I can see. Mr Reilly, Mr Hogan and Mr Shatter spring to mind as 3 people who have done a most uninspiring job. For Mr Shatter to say on the Radio the Troika want our Garda number down was a gaffe. On the same show we had a former Asst Garda Commissioner spell out quite clearly about serious fraud taking place and all we here are more cuts. That makes just no sense. While I like Micheal Noonan it appears his sojourn to the bond market this week could actually cost us money, had he held on he could have earned us a lot more money, mind you that I heard from analyst on Pat Kenny show. (Don't ask me to explain it) Mind you Mr Reilly has his hands full looking after his former medical collegues and inherited a minefield. On the other hand Simon Coveney seems to be more in touch and getting far better results from his position. Maybe Mr Kenny should look more closely at people like Simon and have himself a right good re-shuffle.

All in all our local reps maybe doing ok but I think people would go for another change

If I remember correctly I met you first In Malahide and then in Swords, on each occasion your were campaigning and would have met thousands of people. However I should have clarified I did not make a representation to you until after the election. I have also posted favorably about the representations I did make. I did meet James Reilly and Brendan Ryan on numerous occassions. I did mention to you about your presence on the ground around Rush and you told me about the way the areas are divided for canvassing which was fair enough.

By now you will be aware of my use of or poor use of grammer by times. My reference to not believing then and now was to the fact we were in awful mess, still are and while we hear of some green shoots here and there from time to time I dont see things improving in the near future. I like everyone else want to see things improve and a more vigorous hardline fight carried to the troika, this does not appear to be the case or else its just poor spin. We have had a few "hiccups" in the past which, Childrens hospital, Balbriggan appearing out of nowhere on a list for primary care centers (I think it should have one) Roisin Shortall resigning. We were told things would improve with F.F out of power.

Locally we have had our Garda station closed and I dont think its a coincidence there is or appears to be more vandalism, assaults car break-ins not to mention the 3 armed robberies. The Gardái now have to deal with the working time act which will further decrease their presence on the streets and around Rush and our presidency of the E.U will also see resources taken away. A lot of locals feel there has not be much of a fight put up by our reps.

There is a serious PR problem Alan from what I can see. Mr Reilly, Mr Hogan and Mr Shatter spring to mind as 3 people who have done a most uninspiring job. For Mr Shatter to say on the Radio the Troika want our Garda number down was a gaffe. On the same show we had a former Asst Garda Commissioner spell out quite clearly about serious fraud taking place and all we here are more cuts. That makes just no sense. While I like Micheal Noonan it appears his sojourn to the bond market this week could actually cost us money, had he held on he could have earned us a lot more money, mind you that I heard from analyst on Pat Kenny show. (Don't ask me to explain it) Mind you Mr Reilly has his hands full looking after his former medical collegues and inherited a minefield. On the other hand Simon Coveney seems to be more in touch and getting far better results from his position. Maybe Mr Kenny should look more closely at people like Simon and have himself a right good re-shuffle.

Did I blunder into the politics forum?:eek:

P.S Coveney had a very easy Ministerial Job with Agriculture compared to others.

Sorry, went away off topic. Why I finished with a local sentence

I find it good that Politicians like Alan, are willing to post in this Forum to discuss items of ''Local Interest''

While I do not agree with him on many fronts, I can admire his willingness to post here.

Others like, Darragh O'Brien post a lot of crap on Facebook, usually a link to his latest statement in the Senate, or an interview on radio or TV, and ''The Minister'' just issues a statement lauding his efforts on a daily basis, and today's photo opportunity, through his Constituency office.
    maybe he could tell us where the ''Bio-Diesel'' jeep is kept, we only see it at election time parked at the side of the road, I thought he was going to use it to travel the area all the time??

I find it good that Politicians like Alan, are willing to post in this Forum to discuss items of ''Local Interest''

While I do not agree with him on many fronts, I can admire his willingness to post here.

Will agree with you on this. At his clinics he was sound to deal with. Gave a good account on the issues I raised and got back promptly aswell.
    Others like, Darragh O'Brien post a lot of crap on Facebook, usually a link to his latest statement in the Senate, or an interview on radio or TV, and ''The Minister'' just issues a statement lauding his efforts on a daily basis, and today's photo opportunity, through his Constituency office.
    maybe he could tell us where the ''Bio-Diesel'' jeep is kept, we only see it at election time parked at the side of the road, I thought he was going to use it to travel the area all the time??

I found Darragh very good to deal with. I went to him on various issues and each time he came across to us as straight and honest. What he could work on he did and anything else he was up front and told us he could not get involved in a certain issue. He is getting some very good radio slots at the moment from Morning Ireland, Pat Kenny, Drive time, Week in politics and George Lee's show. He comes accross quite well and seems to be a new breed of young politicans who "might" change the way things are done. I think we felt when F.G and Labour got in our prayers were answered..........

Minister Reilly I dont see much of around his patch, mind you I would not be looking for him. He inherited a right mess and I think from day one with him formerly representing Consultants and Doctors he was in trouble as he has been more closely scrutinized than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Our political system gves very little power to most TD's with most decisions being made by a small number at the very top so a a lot of politics is about optics and being seen to do the right thing.

Our current local representatives IMHO have not done anything to distance theselves from the previous gang.

Alan Farrell http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Fine-Gael-embarrassed-by-job-for-wife-furore-118735344.html.

James Reilly Placing two primary care clinics appearing in Stubbs gazette and losing a junior minister as well as seemingly being a magnet for all kinds of contrversey.

Clare Daly http://www.independent.ie/national-news/claire-daly-quits-party-over-friendship-with-mick-wallace-3216747.html. Seems to have resigned to support a TD who deliberately avoided paying tax to our country

So for me our local reps 3 have managed to get themselves in controversies of their own making despite promises of change before the election.

Minister Reilly has some influence but he seems to have managed it pretty badly and most feel he will be moved later in the year. The other tw above can't do much but have still managed to disappoint me by bringing controversy on themselves.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Hi Alan,

many thanks for taking the time to reply to my post here.

I accept of course that FG did not win the Election, outright, when was the last time we had a single party Govt??

1987. But at 76 seats, we were perilously close to the 83 required.
    So that being the probability I am questioning your ''promise'' to reduce the No of TD's by 20.
    In addition if it is down to an Independent Body, did you even have the prospect of honoring the pledge. I accept the Population figures you quote, when were they disclosed, or were they apparent pre- election??

From my recollection, the preliminary Census results were released in May 2011 so we had no idea that our growth would have been so great, even in Fingal. Based on published predictions, we made the assessment in mid 2010 to attempt to reduce the number of TD's by 20. Incidentally, the bill to enact our commitments to reduce the number of TD's is passing through the Dail today and early next week.

Of course, my point remains that we had to reach agreement with Labour regarding our ambition. In tandem with the Census result, this just wasn't possible.
    I accept the removal of certain ''Golden Handshakes to certain former Ministers, however your literature stated '' No Golden handshake for those who fail to deliver'' not those who don't get enough votes, or who Jump Ship over the definition of ''Stroke Politics'' but its a good start

I agree, it is a good start but dare I say it, a lot more to do!

Advertisement