Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are your local reps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

LeoB wrote: »
    If I remember correctly I met you first In Malahide and then in Swords
    If you say so Leo but I have a knack of remembering faces and knew who you were by reputation in 2010.
    I have also posted favorably about the representations I did make.
    And I thank you for that.
    I did mention to you about your presence on the ground around Rush and you told me about the way the areas are divided for canvassing which was fair enough.

Indeed, thats correct. I was only "let out" of the southern end of the constituency in very late 2010 and apart from being a Fingal County Councillor and former Mayor, I had never directly represented Rush. Perhaps I should not have adhered so strictly to "the rules"!
    I like everyone else want to see things improve and a more vigorous hardline fight carried to the troika, this does not appear to be the case or else its just poor spin. We have had a few "hiccups" in the past which, Childrens hospital, Balbriggan appearing out of nowhere on a list for primary care centers (I think it should have one) Roisin Shortall resigning. We were told things would improve with F.F out of power.

You and I come from different sides of the same coin Leo so I'm not going to disagree with any of the above.
    Locally we have had our Garda station closed
    I do disagree with you here. Lets be honest with one another, this station was open for less than 5 hours a week (or was it 3?), its purpose could no longer have been considered part of the policing plan.

I actually think its an awful shame that a debate was not had about this, in the context of the real reason small stations such as Rush were left open, on a part time basis when they were nothing but a drain on the scarce resources of the state and have been for many years.

They were kept open because it was unpopular to close them.

We have a modern police service operating within a Victorian station structure, designed by the British to coral the Irish, rather than criminality. Its really very easy to criticise these steps but there is no doubt in my mind that its the right thing to do.

On the issue of increasing crime rates, in 2011; the rates in DMR North were marginally above 2010. I have been lead to believe that were are more or less similar in 2012.

I think we can all accept that crime rates increase in recessions, its an unfortunate side effect of large scale long term unemployment.

For Mr Shatter to say on the Radio the Troika want our Garda number down was a gaffe.

I don't recall this particular interview and I'm not doubting your take on it but Garda numbers were agreed by the previous administration in the context of our funding programme with the Toika.
    While I like Micheal Noonan it appears his sojourn to the bond market this week could actually cost us money

I understand that the re-entry into the bond markets by the NTMA has been considered very successful by market analysts. The sale of BOI COCO's recently will actually turn a modest profit for the state, which is clearly a marvellous result considering where we all were just a few months ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

[rumour mill]I heard anecdotally, and I realise that this may simply be BS, that in one Garda station Guards have to bring in their own paper for the printers. A small issue, certainly, but...maybe that's where some of the cutbacks are going. [/rumour mill] Better cars, etc is more important than printer paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

If you say so Leo but I have a knack of remembering faces and knew who you were by reputation in 2010.

And I thank you for that.

Indeed, thats correct. I was only "let out" of the southern end of the constituency in very late 2010 and apart from being a Fingal County Councillor and former Mayor, I had never directly represented Rush. Perhaps I should not have adhered so strictly to "the rules"!

You and I come from different sides of the same coin Leo so I'm not going to disagree with any of the above.
    I do disagree with you here. Lets be honest with one another, this station was open for less than 5 hours a week (or was it 3?), its purpose could no longer have been considered part of the policing plan.

I actually think its an awful shame that a debate was not had about this, in the context of the real reason small stations such as Rush were left open, on a part time basis when they were nothing but a drain on the scarce resources of the state and have been for many years.

They were kept open because it was unpopular to close them.

We have a modern police service operating within a Victorian station structure, designed by the British to coral the Irish, rather than criminality. Its really very easy to criticise these steps but there is no doubt in my mind that its the right thing to do.

On the issue of increasing crime rates, in 2011; the rates in DMR North were marginally above 2010. I have been lead to believe that were are more or less similar in 2012.

I think we can all accept that crime rates increase in recessions, its an unfortunate side effect of large scale long term unemployment.

The social impact has been enormous on our town.

The Gardái can produce whatever figures they like but our station was open more than 5 hours a week and there was also a much more visable presence of Gardái about the place. Most of our Gardái had become well know about the town and they would have seen a lot of movement and been able to keep an eye on things. The relationships they built up with people have been lost.

There was no debate on this as it was signed and sealed before the public meeting in St. Maurs. We got spin on that night. A further reduction in Garda hours due to working time act was the only point agreed. That being the derogation on the average hours goes this year, I think?

If we know crime rates increase during a recession we appear to be going the wrong way about solving this issue. I dont believe these figures. We all know what can be done with statistics. I know some crimes around Rush are not being reported.

I don't recall this particular interview and I'm not doubting your take on it but Garda numbers were agreed by the previous administration in the context of our funding programme with the Toika.

I understand that the re-entry into the bond markets by the NTMA has been considered very successful by market analysts. The sale of BOI COCO's recently will actually turn a modest profit for the state, which is clearly a marvellous result considering where we all were just a few months ago.

What was pointed out was we didn't actually need to sell these particular bonds, it would have been cheaper to hold on to them. I dont understand the full details but it was quite a good discussion and no one disagreed with the Analyst who pointed this out, it was on Pat Kenny the morning after the sale.

knew who you were by reputation in 2010. .
    That reads awful

Indeed, thats correct. I was only "let out" of the southern end of the constituency in very late 2010 and apart from being a Fingal County Councillor and former Mayor, I had never directly represented Rush. Perhaps I should not have adhered so strictly to "the rules"! .

When we discussed this Alan I was expressing a view I heard around Rush, a criticism in a way. You towed the party line. Loyalty is fine. But for F.G supporters who dont like James Reilly they may well have gone elsewhere. While I understand the need for strategic planning it didnt do you any favours keeping you away from here. James Reilly was a fairly safe bet for a seat at the last election either way.

I would say now more than ever we need in this area we need strong representation. And people will respond accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Oops,

Clare Daly Breathalyzer test, followed by a trip to Garda Station

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/td-clare-daly-arrested-on-suspicion-of-drinkdriving-3369809.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

I know there is an ongoing heated discussion going on above but I thought I would ask a question in relation to the Dublin North Constituency.

Mods this might not be the place to ask so please feel free to move me on.

I did vote in the last election but begrudgingly so. I am very disappointed that there were no Sinn Fein reps running for election in Dublin North.

Does anyone know why? Surely there is a mandate for a rep from this party to stand, if not in the last election surely in the next?

Any thoughts?

Hero777 wrote: »
    I know there is an ongoing heated discussion going on above but I thought I would ask a question in relation to the Dublin North Constituency.

I did vote in the last election but begrudgingly so. I am very disappointed that there were no Sinn Fein reps running for election in Dublin North.

Does anyone know why? Surely there is a mandate for a rep from this party to stand, if not in the last election surely in the next?

Any thoughts?

I think they erred not running a candidate in the last election out here. Matt McCormack had ran a few times without success but a few I spoke to felt he could have got elected the last time.

It is their policy to run in each constituency but I would guess they concentrated their resources on stronger candidates like Mary Lou McDonnell and Aengus O'Snodáigh.

There was talk of someone running in next election but we will have to wait and see how they do next year..

It will be interesting to see now what happens with Clare Daly. Supporting Mick Wallace, leaving Joe Higgins and now this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Hero777 wrote: »

Any thoughts?

I asked that same question on one of the Irish political sites that has a SF forum before the last GE. The answer i got back from a SF activist was that
    There was a couple of reasons. Lack of a local candidate that would be willing to give a long term commitment to the area being the main one. The local structures in Swords and Balbriggan were decimated by a lot of the young activists having to move out of the area. Even to run a paper candidate would of cost an awful amount of money and resources, the nightmare that is running a campaign in Dublin North because of the geographical size came into it as well. The higher ups in Parnell Square decided that resources would be better put into seats they had a chance of winning.

Looking at Matt McCormack past track record I don't think he had a snowball in hell chance when he was up against a strong left wing Swords based candidate. Fergus Byrne in Balbriggan was making a great song and dance about fighting for jobs in Balbriggan back in 2009 for SF but seems to have gone MIA. If SF ever do run a candidate more than likely they will be based in Balbriggan because if you look at the existing TDs they are based in Skerries, Rush/Lusk, Swords, Malahide parts of the constituency.

I asked that same question on one of the Irish political sites that has a SF forum before the last GE. The answer i got back from a SF activist was that

Looking at Matt McCormack past track record I don't think he had a snowball in hell chance when he was up against a strong left wing Swords based candidate. Fergus Byrne in Balbriggan was making a great song and dance about fighting for jobs in Balbriggan back in 2009 for SF but seems to have gone MIA. If SF ever do run a candidate more than likely they will be based in Balbriggan because if you look at the existing TDs they are based in Skerries, Rush/Lusk, Swords, Malahide parts of the constituency.

Yeah I see the reasoning in that ok but, I get a very strong feeling at work and about NCD there is huge disappointment with our local reps. I would not be at all suprised if Swords did come up with a S.F candidate for next elections starting with Council election next year.

Balbriggan has a population of circa 68k and no sitting TD since Trevor Sargent, it has only one local based councillor who is an Independent. It's a sleeping giant with great potential to return two Councillors in the next local election if the local vote was organized. Just look at the Skerries catchment area with less than half the population of Balbriggan returning two local based councillors in the Ward. Success in local elections is a great staging point for candidates to get their name know before going for a tilt at the Dail as Farrell and Daly can testify.

If we look at the last Dail Election and the batch of 76 new TDs, only 5 didn't hold a public office role before they were elected, 51 were sitting councillors.
    1. Pat Deering(FG) Councillor
    2. Ann Phelan(LB) Councillor
    3. John Paul Phelan(FG) Senator, ex-councillor
    4. Sean Conlan(FG) Town Councillor
    5. Heather Humphreys(FG) Councillor
    6. Joe O’Reilly(FG) Senator
    7. Michael McNamara(LB) ex European Parliament candidate
    8. Tom Barry(FG) Councillor
    9. Sandra McLellan(SF) Councillor
    10. Dara Murphy(FG) Councillor
    11. Jonathan O'Brien(SF) Councillor
    12. Aine Collins(FG) None
    13. Jerry Buttimer(FG) Senator
    14. Jim Daly(FG) Councillor
    15. Noel Harrington(FG) Councillor
    16. Michael McCarthy(LB) Senator, ex-councillor
    17. Charlie McConalogue(FF) Councillor
    18. Padraig MacLochlainn(SF) Councillor
    19. Thomas Pringle(IND) Councillor
    20. Paschal Donohoe(FG) Senator
    21. Mary Lou McDonald(SF) MEP
    22. Derek Keating(FG) Councillor
    23. Robert Dowds(LB) Councillor
    24. Clare Daly(SP) Councillor
    25. Alan Farrell(FG) Councillor
    26. Brendan Ryan(LB) Senator
    27. Aodháin O’Riordáin(LB) Councillor
    28. Dessie Ellis(SF) Councillor
    29. John Lyons(LB) Councillor
    30. Peter Mathews(FG) None
    31. Shane Ross(IND) Senator
    32. Alex White(LB) Senator
    33. Joan Collins(PBP) Councillor
    34. Michael Conaghan(LB) Councillor
    35. Kevin Humphreys(LB) Councillor
    36. Eoghan Murphy(FG) Councillor
    37. Eamonn Maloney(LB) Councillor
    38. Richard Boyd Barrett(PBP) Councillor
    39. Mary Mitchell O’Connor(FG) Councillor
    40. Ciaran Cannon(FG) Councillor
    41. Paul Connaughton(FG) Councillor
    42. Colm Keaveney(LB) Councillor
    43. Sean Kyne(FG) Councillor
    44. Derek Nolan(LB) Councillor
    45. Brian Walsh(FG) Councillor
    46. Arthur Spring(LB) Councillor
    47. Tom Fleming(IND) Councillor
    48. Brendan Griffin(FG) Councillor
    49. Michael Healy-Rae(IND) Councillor
    50. Anthony Lawlor(FG) Councillor
    51. Martin Heydon(FG) Councillor
    52. Barry Cowen(FF) Councillor
    53. Marcella Corcoran Kennedy(FG) ex-councillor
    54. Brian Stanley(SF) Councillor
    55. Patrick O’Donovan(FG) Councillor
    56. Nicky McFadden(FG) Senator
    57. Robert Troy(FF) Councillor
    58. Gerry Adams(SF) exMP, MLA
    59. Peter Fitzpatrick(FG) None
    60. Ged Nash(LB) Councillor
    61. Michelle Mulherin(FG) Councillor
    62. Dominic Hannigan(LB) Senator
    63. Regina Doherty(FG) Councillor
    64. Ray Butler(FG) Councillor
    65. Peadar Toibin(SF) Town Councillor
    66. Luke ‘Ming’ Flanagan(IND) Councillor
    67. Tony McLoughlin(FG) Councillor
    68. Michael Colreavy(SF) Councillor
    69. Alan Kelly(LB) MEP. Senator
    70. Paudie Coffey(FG) Senator
    71. John Halligan(IND) Councillor
    72. Ciara Conway(LB) Town Councillor
    73. Mick Wallace(IND) None
    74. Stephen Donnelly(IND) None
    75. Anne Ferris(LB) ex-Councillor
    76. Simon Harris(FG) Councillor

• Advertisement

Great Post, Cardinal, good research.

Obviously as a Councillor you get exposure, which makes you appealing to the electorate at General Election.

Look at the hard work Clare Daly, put in over the years, and 3 failed General Election attempts.

The dissapointment is in what happens with our Rep's once elected

Clair has in my opinion gone off the rails

Alan, pizzed us all off appointing a family member to a public salary, and James as a Minister is a disaster. Alan's agreement to stay in the south of the Constituency, means he is unknown to many North of the Hearse Rd

Brendan, is too quiet altogether,

In my view, at the next General Election, Darragh O'Brien, who is working away at his profile, will recover the traditional FF vote, lost due to the need to punish FF.

Claire will loose the Anti-FF vote she gained for the same reason, and if James is demoted, he will be eliminated early.

Is there an opportunity for SF to get a foothold, while I hope not, it will need a good Councillor, working hard in the area till the next General Election, can't see a candidate to be honest

martinn123 wrote: »
    Great Post, Cardinal, good research.

Obviously as a Councillor you get exposure, which makes you appealing to the electorate at General Election.

Look at the hard work Clare Daly, put in over the years, and 3 failed General Election attempts.

The dissapointment is in what happens with our Rep's once elected

Clair has in my opinion gone off the rails

Alan, pizzed us all off appointing a family member to a public salary, and James as a Minister is a disaster. Alan's agreement to stay in the south of the Constituency, means he is unknown to many North of the Hearse Rd

Brendan, is too quiet altogether,

In my view, at the next General Election, Darragh O'Brien, who is working away at his profile, will recover the traditional FF vote, lost due to the need to punish FF.

Claire will loose the Anti-FF vote she gained for the same reason, and if James is demoted, he will be eliminated early.

Is there an opportunity for SF to get a foothold, while I hope not, it will need a good Councillor, working hard in the area till the next General Election, can't see a candidate to be honest

Thanks, your breakdown of the sitting TDs is fairly spot on.

My 5 cents worth review on the sitting TDs for Dublin North.

Alan Farrell
    Positives: Low profile in media lately apart from the Household charge scam. James Reilly disaster as Minister might mean he may benefit from FG voters fed up with Reilly style of politics. Showed steady support for the Pyrite campaign but didn't he own a house effected by pyrite?(OTC)
    Negatives: National profile seems to be for all the wrong reasons. Seems afraid of standing up to James Reilly. I know he is a bit of a favourite here because he comes on and answers the odd question but he does ignore the harder questions. I tried following him on Twitter but I couldn't be bothered with the school yard smart remarks. Twitter does bring out the ugly side in people. He is male, unless FG decide to run 3 candidates or JR retires to his mansion, the Electoral Amendment Bill might impact on Dublin Fingal if party HQs select it as a constituency that should have a female candidate. Could try switching his seat with his wife at the next election.

Claire Daly
    Positives: Exposed penalty points abuses. Leaving the Socialist Party might make her more open to floating voters in the long term.Strong female candidate in an area that had no females in the last election apart from herself.
    Negatives: Her performance recently is fairly Jekyll and Hyde. Her closeness to Mick Wallace has led to innuendo. Getting hung out to dry in the media for drink driving even before her sample was tested to prove she was over the limit. This could generate sympathy for her in the long run even if she is proven to be over the limit but at the moment is a negative. The Electoral Amendment Bill may mean more female candidates in Dublin Fingal at the next election.

Brendan Ryan
    Positives: Made a token protest over the Carers Allowance cuts.
    Negatives:As you said too quiet. his one big moment was the cuts to the Carers Allowance debate but he bottled it in the end. I always seen him as holding a seat for the Ryan Dynasty before a younger more vocal member of the family takes over.

James Reilly
    Postives: The VB Show gave him the Politician of the Year Award for his ability to get in the media, mostly for the wrong reasons and still keep his job. Nowhere else to put him do the European Commission replacement:eek: for MGQ was mentioned for him or Big Phil.
    Negatives: FG standard defence for Calamity James is that he is a novice politician, so being a past President of the IMO must mean it's a non political organisation. Next to useless as Minister for Health unless your a PR consultant or Health Expert working for him. When he does make a difficult decision he backtracks so undermining his position. Surrounded himself with a cadre of Dublin North FG experts which might damage the local FG party if things go even more pear-shaped for JR. The Troika thinks he is incapable and is backed up by his inability not to keep to a budget.

Other

Senator Darragh O'Brien
    Positives: FF on the rise again and Fingal has a large traditional FF vote. Is leader of FF in the Senate which boosts his profile and means he is a regular on many media shows. Seems to be working hard on securing FF or floating voters outside of his Malahide base.
    Negatives: Member of the last FF government, can sometimes jump on too many bandwagons.

Don't forget the 4 seater Dublin North will be replaced by a 5 seater Dublin Fingal.

The Local Elections are due next year and if this government goes to term the GE is due in 2016 so only less than 2 years for a new councillor to build a profile in the constituency. Otherwise the parties could try recruiting a high profile local resident or parachute a media darling from outside. I imagine all the high profile females based in Dublin North have already had one or two parties knocking on their doors to sound them out for the LE or GE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Will Trevor Sargeant run again?

If someone of the ability of Stephen Donnelly ran they could be a wild card.

Otherwise my guess if one for everyone in the audience 1FG 1Lab 1FF 1ULA 1SF

SeaSide wrote: »
    Will Trevor Sargeant run again?

If someone of the ability of Stephen Donnelly ran they could be a wild card.

Otherwise my guess if one for everyone in the audience 1FG 1Lab 1FF 1ULA 1SF

1ULA , Clare Daly, dont think so

1 SF, Who's the candidate

My tuppence, 2 FF backlash against Govt, and Reilly in particular.
    O'Brien and a new face, jepus not Kennedy.

1 Lab, Ryan, nothing wrong, despite low profile

1 FG probably Farrell.

Last seat up for grabs, if a SF Candidate makes the headlines, maybe,
    Greens, no way.

Whats the odds @paddyPower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Alan's agreement to stay in the south of the Constituency, means he is unknown to many North of the Hearse Rd

You have misunderstood my reference to this in a previous post. I was referring to my pre candidate selection in November 2010. Prior to this, I wasn't permitted to canvass outside of my electoral ward and Swords/Donabate.

This is fairly common with political parties and given I was a Councillor with a sitting TD in the constituency, made sense too. Wouldn't you agree?

You have misunderstood my reference to this in a previous post. I was referring to my pre candidate selection in November 2010. Prior to this, I wasn't permitted to canvass outside of my electoral ward and Swords/Donabate.

This is fairly common with political parties and given I was a Councillor with a sitting TD in the constituency, made sense too. Wouldn't you agree?

Thanks for clarifying that, in my view coming up to the next election, there will be 1 FG seat avb. so don't enter into any territorial agreements, Go For it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

1ULA , Clare Daly, dont think so

1 SF, Who's the candidate

My tuppence, 2 FF backlash against Govt, and Reilly in particular.
    O'Brien and a new face, jepus not Kennedy.

1 Lab, Ryan, nothing wrong, despite low profile

1 FG probably Farrell.

Last seat up for grabs, if a SF Candidate makes the headlines, maybe,
    Greens, no way.

Whats the odds @paddyPower

AFAIK Clare Daily's main Swords support base was split at the last election with a chunk going into Dublin (West?). It's been unsplit that's why I think she'll get elected again.

Really really really don't think that FF will get 32% to bring in 2 candidates as I don't think a backlash will mean that their treason will be forgotten.

Trevor Sargeant did have a good base in Balbriggan so hence I asked the question if he'd run again.

Don't know anything about SF or their people so couldn't make any suggestion as to who.

I find myself not caring anymore as I don't think anything will change no matter who gets in.

SeaSide wrote: »

I find myself not caring anymore as I don't think anything will change no matter who gets in.

I can't argue with that, part of the problem is that we have Party Manifesto's prior to the Elections, and Programme For Govt, after.

So ask a candidate not what he promises, but what will be in the '' Programme'' when the Coalition Govt formed

Just listen to any interview with a Minister, and he/she will avoid what was promised, and state that's what was agreed in Coalition.

That's after they spend the first 18 months saying, '' We Inherited''

On the other hand Simon Coveney seems to be more in touch and getting far better results from his position. Maybe Mr Kenny should look more closely at people like Simon and have himself a right good re-shuffle.

Leo your some Jinx! :D The guy is seriously making a mess of the horsemeat in burgers scandal. Primetime tonight was real car crash TV with Coveney finishing more mixed up than the audience.

Leo your some Jinx! :D The guy is seriously making a mess of the horsemeat in burgers scandal. Primetime tonight was real car crash TV with Coveney finishing more mixed up than the audience.

I missed that Cardinal but heard lads talking about it at work this morning. He appears to be making a right dogs dinner of it;)

I had heard a number of people saying he was doing well especially on the fisheries protection issue and an increase in quotas for Irish fishing fleet.

I met Alan Farrell last night and like before he was most accommodating and friendly. His clinic seems to be going well.
    I went with a number of issues concerning ComReg and their proposed fine of €12 million on An Post for not reaching next day delivery targets which An Post and C.W.U strongly dispute. They say we our hit rate is 84% An Post and CWU say its 92- 93% . Both An Post and C.W.U are challenging this so here we go again with a state appointed body fining a company a huge amount of money and WE are going to pay in the long run and the main beneficiaries will be the legal teams.

State of Park Rd and Palmer Rd and our Main St which are getting worse by the week. South shore Rd is now like a race track because the ramps on Channel Road are so big.

Lack of a visible Garda presence on patrol around Rush. I dont care what figures Gardái or politicians bring out I am around the town every day and there are less patrols. So to me its no coincidence we have had an increase in break ins, vandalism and anti-social behavior. And as you know I would always stick up for the youth who by and large are fairly decent in the area but a few are running amock and nothing is being done to sort it out.

Mind you I do think Rush C.C should be leading the charge on all these issues.

• Advertisement

Just listening to lads at work I am inclined to agree with Martin 123 that Fianna Fail could well bring in 2 seats next time round. Having spoke to 2 members of the Labour party they are furious at how things are shaping up in this coalition and the flak they are taking and who could blame them. I then met someone else who has dealt with a few politicians over the last number of years and they felt much the same.

It was interesting last week FG and Labour both done a fairly heavy mail shot in parts of Fingal and the Fingal Indo had a number of snippets about questions laid down and representations made for various works around Fingal/NCD. While I dont get the Fingal every week I have not heard many calls from any of them for more policing around this area.

Fianna Fail in response have circularized a very good brochure detailing the work of Darragh O'Brien and introducing Brian Dennehy as the new rep for this area. I know Brian quite well and he is a very nice man steeped in politics and I would suspect bet he will make a big impact on local political scene.

My feeling, is that the area will return to the tradtional, 2FF, 1 FG 1 Lab, an ANO,

You might remember the humiliation, Jenkison, had in a Bye-Election.

OK FF had Rambo to bring in GV on his coat-tails, but it worked. Then Glennon topped, and brought in Kennedy on his surplus.

The current rep's are a reflection of the Anti-FF in the last election, but the New Gov't has proved to be same as we kicked out.

Tonight may have an impact, a real deal on the Debt might bring a change, but Minister Reilly will be a liability, leaving an opening for Farrell, as the single FG seat.

The ANO, will depend on Daly's activities, the Resurrection of Greens, or another Independent making an impression.

My feeling, is that the area will return to the tradtional, 2FF, 1 FG 1 Lab, an ANO,

You might remember the humiliation, Jenkison, had in a Bye-Election.

OK FF had Rambo to bring in GV on his coat-tails, but it worked. Then Glennon topped, and brought in Kennedy on his surplus.

The current rep's are a reflection of the Anti-FF in the last election, but the New Gov't has proved to be same as we kicked out.

Tonight may have an impact, a real deal on the Debt might bring a change, but Minister Reilly will be a liability, leaving an opening for Farrell, as the single FG seat.

The ANO, will depend on Daly's activities, the Resurrection of Greens, or another Independent making an impression.

The Fingal Indo two weeks ago had a whole breakdown of possible local election candidates. Only read it today but SF have announced they will have a candidate in each Ward for 2014 LE. I will post up the list of potential candidates The Fingal mentions when I get a chance.

Can anyone tell me how long Cllr Tom O'Leary has worked in the Dept of Health and what his role is?

Well Clare Daly certainly got serious headlines today. She was very strong on the New at 1 in her statement condemning Garda actions and the leek to media over her arrest. This might do her no harm if she can keep her nose clean for the rest of this term.

It will be interesting to see the impact last night had on how people view this government. But I still think James Reilly will be in trouble,

Well Clare Daly certainly got serious headlines today. She was very strong on the New at 1 in her statement condemning Garda actions and the leek to media over her arrest. This might do her no harm if she can keep her nose clean for the rest of this term.

It will be interesting to see the impact last night had on how people view this government. But I still think James Reilly will be in trouble,

James Reilly is going to Europe, too talented to ruin just the one country.

James Reilly is going to Europe, too talented to ruin just the one country.

Another Stately Home, so, perhaps the Loire Valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Another Stately Home, so, perhaps the Loire Valley.
    I think you underestimate the support that reilly has in dublin north. If he gets the health centres through he'll be reaping the rewards long after the shouting has died away.

As things stand I think fingal will return 2 fg, 1 lab, 1 ff. If daly runs against a shinner neither of them will carry it, imo. Daly far too negative, if the country is in any way recovering by the time of the next vote she'll be seen as having nothing to offer but shouting. Still time for a single issue or broad independent to build a base.

Can anyone tell me how long Cllr Tom O'Leary has worked in the Dept of Health

About 10 mins after Reilly was appointed Minister

and what his role is?

Apparently he is Personal Assistant to the Minister, no idea if this is salaried:D
    but you could not expect him to survive on a Councellor's salary and expenses.

He also drives Reilly around when canvasing.

He releases loads of Press statements, as the Minister is very busy

About 10 mins after Reilly was appointed Minister

Apparently he is Personal Assistant to the Minister, no idea if this is salaried:D
    but you could not expect him to survive on a Councellor's salary and expenses.

He also drives Reilly around when canvasing.

He releases loads of Press statements, as the Minister is very busy

I know he had to pay for his wife to go to China with him when he went with JR. I can understand JR needing a Personal Assistant to help manage his constituency and a councillor would be ideal but what is puzzling is that Cllr O'Leary appears to be based in the Dept of Health rather than the Dail,

Maybe Alan Farrell can clarify if Cllr O'Leary is a Personal Assistant for constituency work covered by Dail expenses or if he is an employee of the Dept of Health and what his role is within the Dept of Health?

• Advertisement

So who is doing Cllr O'Leary's work? Or have we one Cllr less that we thought representing us?

Advertisement