Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are your local reps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Labour Judy Dunne, Brian McDonagh - Howth Malahide
    http://adriankavanaghelections.org/2013/07/02/labour-party-candidates-for-the-2014-local-elections/

http://www.labour.ie/brianmcdonagh/
    https://twitter.com/brianmcdonagh
    http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=24401017&authType=OPENLINK&authToken=v8nW&locale=en_US&srchid=957291061385160584242&srchindex=1&srchtotal=14&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A957291061385160584242%2CVSRPtargetId%3A24401017%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary

so a technology business sales development person and now also a marketer for a tv production company

hopes to follow peter coyles lead

says he was sparked to take an active role on the night of guaranteed sep 2008, I wonder he actually joined labour.

from portmarnock
    lives in Balgriffen

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

The article mentions nothing about his Labour Party membership or his activism with Brendan Ryan TD. Is he a disgruntled member or is this a Labour strategy to garner as many seats as possible by stealth? In other words, are they running as Independent to ensure if Labour are lambasted at the polls, they will have people elected under a non party banner but retaining a Ind/Lab presence on the local authority. If that is the strategy, it's a bit more sneaky than when Fianna Fáilers used the tiny FF crests on their posters.

Ah, you'd want to be really cynical to think that... :)

Makes you wonder how gullible they think people are. Good luck to him but he shouldn't try to pull the wool over peoples eyes trying to get himself elected.

Makes you wonder how gullible they think people are. Good luck to him but he shouldn't try to pull the wool over peoples eyes trying to get himself elected.

well its not quite as you say, he's part of the (former) labour youth group like cian o'callaghan, who are more actually left wing then Nu-Labour are now, but many of them left over the past year because they disagreed with the austerity policy, they want to start a social democratic party, but you could see them all end up back in labour in future repeating somewhat how the current LP cabinet members travelled.

he's not pretending to be not to be labour because he isn't but of course north county leader just repost press releases they both should add that detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Paul works for Deputy Pat Nulty, if I am not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Just a question for the Balbriggan based posters here, I notice 4 of the Town Council have confirmed their intention to run in the Balbriggan Ward in 2014.

Gráinne Maguire (NP)
    Frank Snowe (NP)
    Terry Kelleher (SP/CAPTA)
    Peadar O’Kelly (LAB)

The sales pitch in the North Co Leader is
    http://www.northcountyleader.ie/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=14955:plenty-of-options-for-balbriggan-voters
    This move will bring great relief to local residents, as these councillors have a vast amount of experience, knowledge and commitment between them, which they want to continue bringing to the locality next year.

So are any of them worth voting for based on their past record in the Town Council?

well its not quite as you say, he's part of the (former) labour youth group like cian o'callaghan, who are more actually left wing then Nu-Labour are now, but many of them left over the past year because they disagreed with the austerity policy, they want to start a social democratic party, but you could see them all end up back in labour in future repeating somewhat how the current LP cabinet members travelled.

he's not pretending to be not to be labour because he isn't but of course north county leader just repost press releases they both should add that detail.

Ah, that would explain the reason behind questions Cian O'Callaghan is putting forward at Full Council meetings for the Portrane/Donabate area. Perhaps they are for Paul's information.

Just a question for the Balbriggan based posters here, I notice 4 of the Town Council have confirmed their intention to run in the Balbriggan Ward in 2014.

Gráinne Maguire (NP)
    Frank Snowe (NP)
    Terry Kelleher (SP/CAPTA)
    Peadar O’Kelly (LAB)

The sales pitch in the North Co Leader is
    http://www.northcountyleader.ie/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=14955:plenty-of-options-for-balbriggan-voters

So are any of them worth voting for based on their past record in the Town Council?

3 extras seats in balbriggan http://www.boundarycommittee.ie/reports/2013-Report.pdf and their own sub committee of some sort

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/labour-announce-election-candidates-29765334.html
    The party has left the door open for potentially appointing a third candidate later on in the process but for now at least, long-serving Labour candidates, Cllr. Tom Kelleher and Cllr. Gerry McGuire will contest the increased seats in the Swords ward next year.
    Duncan Smith, chosen as a Labour Party area representative for Swords earlier this year, had been expected to contest the election but said he is ready to fight for his two Labour colleagues and will be ready to step up, should the party run a third candidate.

i gues he's aiming to be a td at some point

wind not at labours back but 4 extras seats in swords

• Advertisement

FG Candidates Balbriggan Ward confirmed

Cllr Tom O'Leary(Skerries)
    Jean Fay-Brady (Balbriggan West)
    Jeanette McNamara(Rush)
    Anthony Murphy(????)

Anthony Murphy is a jeweller from Balbriggan. He was in the papers a few months back following a pretty rough robbery of his jewellery shop in Balbriggan. Anthony Murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

Can't wait to see how many more desperate councillors forcing their leaflets through my letter box in Balbriggan despite having no junk mail sign in several languages! Bit early for next May elections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Never too early. Best to print a few question sheets out for when they turn up at the door to look your number. They should quickly run then when asked to put the promises into writing.

Better still, produce copies of previous Election Leaflets

I am sure there is a web-site holding copies.

Metro North. ( remember that )
    Labours way, or Frankfurts way

Not another Red Cent for Anglo, (that was a beauty)

Anyone care to share their favourites??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

I think their mothers believe them at this stage. In writing or not..

There is not a whole lot of point of making promises as they will always be able to blame someone else for their lack of honesty or lies.

If their results and promises were tied to their payment, things would soon change.
    Never too early. Best to print a few question sheets out for when they turn up at the door to look your number. They should quickly run then when asked to put the promises into writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Have not been following whats going on lately but will be emailing local reps tonight re anti-social behavior in Rush last weekend. I phoned Gardái and 75minutes later got a call to say they were held up at another incident!

What a service so will see what our local T.D.s and Cllr's have to say.

LeoB wrote: »
    Have not been following whats going on lately but will be emailing local reps tonight re anti-social behavior in Rush last weekend. I phoned Gardái and 75minutes later got a call to say they were held up at another incident!

What a service so will see what our local T.D.s and Cllr's have to say.

No offence, LeoB, but what do you expect them to do, or say.
    Local resources are the responsibility of the Inspector/Superintendent.

What was the other incident, Burgalary, Checkpoint, I am guessing Anti-Social behaviour, while irritating, and unwelcome, comes down the list of priorities while resources are stretched.

Best of luck in contacting Local Reps, but expect plenty of empty promises, and little else, other than platitudes.

martinn123 wrote: »
    No offence, LeoB, but what do you expect them to do, or say.
    Local resources are the responsibility of the Inspector/Superintendent.

What was the other incident, Burgalary, Checkpoint, I am guessing Anti-Social behaviour, while irritating, and unwelcome, comes down the list of priorities while resources are stretched.

Best of luck in contacting Local Reps, but expect plenty of empty promises, and little else, other than platitudes.

Not sure what I expect them to do really but they are our voices and their duty to provide us, who pay their wages a decent service. I am unsure as to what the other incident was but their was still only one car and what if we had multiple incidents? Who decides which fight is worst? Which group of young lads are causing most trouble? It just aint good enough.

We were promised at a public meeting in St. Maurs attended by local traders and concerned people and the spin doctors of the force a better more professional service. Nothing could be further from the truth. One car covering Rush, Lusk, Skerries and Balbriggan is not providing a service and if they deem it is it is a pathetic service. How many break-ins in Lusk area this past few weeks? 38 is the number I heard on radio.

I expect our elected T.Ds to fight to provide a better service for us. Maybe they will get the inspector or Superintendent to re deploy some officers to Rush and Lusk areas.

so the fingal council budget passed without much comment, did the councils get a financial sweetner in regard to irish water so they wouldn't complain too much

joan maher is slated for retirement http://adriankavanaghelections.org/2014/01/14/retiring-countycity-councillors/ keith redmond is going for her place http://www.dublinpeople.com/assets/graphics/publications/Northside%20People%20%28East%29%20January%2015th%202014.pdf sutton dentist (yes he was in that toothpaste ad) former pd candidate 2007 http://www.politico.ie/?option=com_content&view=article&id=3694:keith-redmond-pd&catid=274:election-2007&Itemid=1190 (and maybe former FG before that) didn't get anywhere in 2007 under pd brand http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_North%E2%80%93East_%28D%C3%A1il_%C3%89ireann_constituency%29#2007_general_election shld get in on the fine gael ticket

The complete picture on the Fine Gael ticket for Fingal will be known tomorrow night.

Thus far:

Balbriggan Ward:
    Tom O'Leary (Cllr)(Skerries)
    Jean Fay Brady (Balbriggan)
    Anthony (Tony) Murphy (Balbriggan)
    Jeanette McNamara (Rush)

Swords Ward:
    Robert (Bob) Dowling (Donabate)
    Diane Sexton (Swords)

In the Howth/Malahide Ward. Councillor Joan Maher (Bayside) is retiring while Councillor Anthony Lavin (Malahide) will be seeking re-election.

LeoB wrote: »
    Not sure what I expect them to do really but they are our voices and their duty to provide us, who pay their wages a decent service.

Certainly it would be very helpful if we were to have a larger Garda presence in the County but statistically, An Garda Siochana are doing very well in keeping the crime rate down in almost all categories.

That being said, there is a clear need for extra bodies on the ground and with the announcement that Templemore is reopening for the first time since 2008, I will certainly be using my voice to request additional personnel in the DMR North division.

• Advertisement

Certainly it would be very helpful if we were to have a larger Garda presence in the County but statistically, An Garda Siochana are doing very well in keeping the crime rate down in almost all categories.

That being said, there is a clear need for extra bodies on the ground and with the announcement that Templemore is reopening for the first time since 2008, I will certainly be using my voice to request additional personnel in the DMR North division.

Statistics, love e'm.

The complete picture on the Fine Gael ticket for Fingal will be known tomorrow night.

Thus far:

Balbriggan Ward:
    Tom O'Leary (Cllr)(Skerries)
    Jean Fay Brady (Balbriggan)
    Anthony (Tony) Murphy (Balbriggan)
    Jeanette McNamara (Rush)

Swords Ward:
    Robert (Bob) Dowling (Donabate)
    Diane Sexton (Swords)

In the Howth/Malahide Ward. Councillor Joan Maher (Bayside) is retiring while Councillor Anthony Lavin (Malahide) will be seeking re-election.

In the Howth/Malahide Ward. Councillor Anthony Lavin and Dr. Keith Redmond were selected to contest the local elections.

Had a look at his twitter profile.

I see he is a member of the China-Fingal Forum.

So I had a look on Google, the only reference I can find is this article

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/highpowered-trade-delegation-visit-china-27810479.html

Dated, 8th June 2011.
    The Fingal delegation included Cll Ciaran Byrne (Lab) and Cllr Tom O'Leary (FG) along with Peter Caulfield, deputy county manager, PJ Howell, director of environment, business and enterprise and John Woodhouse, Aer Rianta International who was representing the Dublin Airport Authority.

So how are relations between Fingal and China these days, any jobs landed, any export contracts.............anything?

Do you really believe the crime rates are down Alan? This to me is spin, clever policing or something they call it. There is nothing clever when you have one patrol car to cover an area the size of Rush, Lusk, Skeries and Balbriggan. There is concern in Balbriggan over anti-social behaviour in parts of the town and the feeling from people I spoke to is there seems to be an unwillingness to tackle this is a serious way. What we could be left with is people dealing with their problems themselves which will create a whole raft of serious situations.

When I phoned to enquire 3 days later to enquire about what had been done about the incident at my house they had no record of me calling. I phone them 4 times and they actually called me aswell. The only stat here is ..... well there none. My door was not kicked even though I gave them 3 names and 2 addresses. I wont be phoning the next time

If we base crime stats on this of course crime is down in fact we have no crime or are the figures being manipulated to make us feel good.

The A.A.A. were outside Eurospar in Rush tonight collecting signatures and handing out leaflets to oppose water rip-off and asking people to elect anti-water charges councillors. I have no problem with that, they are entitled to get out there and push their "agenda" as all other do. However when I said I was a member of a political party, and told them which one and asked could I sign their petition the reply was "ah probably not" or words to that effect. I knew what was coming as a person abouut 1 minute before me had his name crossed off whe he said who he was. I find this very strange.

Can I not a support a particular ideal because I am a member of a political party?

If Alan Farrell, Clare Daly, James Reilly or Brendan Ryan came up with an idea which I thought was good I should not support them? Am I missing something here?

Polls last week were good to Alan imagine if we got a few more Gardái or flood defences or park rd fixed after 30 years asking. I have no doubt Alan you be taking over from Mr Kenny.

something i thought was interesting was this candidate presenting himself as the apartment dwellers candidate http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/2014/02/16/leaflet-for-apartment-residents-from-justin-sinnott-independent-swords/

I had expected candidates to come from the south fringe developements based on their experience of dealing with the problem in 2009 rather then it to take till 2014 to see them

i wonder if you connect that to the compaints the councillors/candidates are having in getting into complexes to canvass
    Candidates fear apartment complex lockout http://northsidepeople.ie/article.php?id=3277&l=100

maybe candidates like justin sinnott who people will know from resident association work may get more votes then established councillors, althought the councillors are known in wider area. it hard to know their politics and these independent councillors could be in the future join political parties

ps i don't know justin sinnott or actually live in his santry to swords LEA, its big area https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6AEiinGYynOMDNUTnlrMkpLVWc/edit?usp=sharing and also shows how maybe the south and north fringe is falling down in between fingal and dublin city, even though there is which may be a good reason to dublin mayor over the four councils

new SF candidate for Howth Malahide Daire Ní Laoi who I think is a secondary school Irish teacher from Howth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

new SF candidate for Howth Malahide Daire Ní Laoi who I think is a secondary school Irish teacher from Howth

just what politics needs another teacher. Ive lived in baloyle for 5 years which is part of fingal c.c and never seen 1 fingal council member calling around the area, walking the streets or outside shops. Quick enough to dump their junk mail in the letter box though

had number of people at our door recently and sudden uptick in letters about local issues, got a letter in today about a neightbourhood watch scheme being set up by David O'Connor P.C. (peace commissioner) Howth-Malahide ward, looking for you information to sign up to it.

are peace commissioners appointed by local election areas? (no) or this guy trying to set himself up for the election? :) but not stating it directly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

had number of people at our door recently and sudden uptick in letters about local issues, got a letter in today about a neightbourhood watch scheme being set up by David O'Connor P.C. (peace commissioner) Howth-Malahide ward.

are peace commissioners appointed by local election areas? (no) or this guy trying to set himself up for the election? :) but not stating it directly

Appointed by the Minister for Justice.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/WP07000572

Advertisement