Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot SSH over VPN

Options
  • 27-09-2011 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I use a Sonicwall VPN client to connect to my office network. Everything works fine, I can connect OK and RDP into the machines there.

My problem is that there is a Linux box running on the remote LAN, and I cannot SSH to it over the VPN. If I first RDP into a Windows machine and then SSH to it, it works fine.

Also, when I am at the office, I can SSH to the machine without a problem.

I am stumped - am I missing something somewhere?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Can you ping it over the VPN?

Sounds like a firewall on the VPN is blocking it; although its strange it would block SSH - not impossible though.

Sometimes it will only block root connections - have you tried other users on the Linux box?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MidnightHawk

I have stop the firewall completely but I suspect something like iptables may still be active.

SSH does not even prompt for the login - the connection just gets refused. I have webmin running on port 10000 and that's not connecting either over the VPN, which is bizarre as I can do so from a RDP session.

It's driving me insane to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MidnightHawk

Problem sorted. The gateway was configured on the other network interface.

Advertisement