Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Mango Released TODAY!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I'm getting this error when trying to force an update. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

optimus7-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Think I figured it out. I disconnected data connection before trying to force it and it didn't work, but once I enabled it it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭DMax

DjFlin wrote: »
    Got it today. Didnt force it.

DjFlin what carrier are you in and handset???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

DMax wrote: »
    DjFlin what carrier are you in and handset???

LG Optimus 7, running the European Open ROM, with Vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭daltonr

Can we try to get a list of Mango features that have either been crippled by Irish Carriers or are not available due to Region Locking?

Got Mango last night on Samsung Omnia 7 (carrier is Three).

So far...

Crippled By Three
    Visual Voicemail
    Internet Sharing

Unavailable/Unusable Due To Region
    Local Scout

Can be enabled by changing Browser and Search Region to English(United Kingdom)
    Navigation

Crippled By ?????
    Bing Audio Search
    Bing Visual Search

The crippling of Visual Voicemail and Tethering are a serious problem for me, and will mean I'll be giving up on Windows Phone. Anyone want to buy a barely used Samsung Omnia 7?

-Richard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Lol which company has visual voicemail in Ireland?

Internet Sharing Can be enabled on the Omnia 7. I have it set up. Its only 5 mins to do it if you have a dev unlocked device.

Otherwise just need to wait till OEM's (Yes Samsung, HTC, LG and other to give you an update, because internet sharing already exists in WP7.5

Local Scout is not available cause Bing is still in Beta
    Same for maps, vision, audio.

(Set your locale of your phone to the US and you suddengly unlock all of them except Local Scout. There are gMaps alternatives on the Marketpalce that are free to retain local search.)

Youll get these problems on all platforms. But thats why you got a marketplace. To extend the functionallity of the phone from stock

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

Is 7.1 build 7720 the newest version?

Lol which company has visual voicemail in Ireland?

I had Visual Voicemail on Android thanks to Hullomail. Since they don't support WP7 that's a problem, particularly when Three cripple this feature when Microsoft actually implement it.
    Internet Sharing Can be enabled on the Omnia 7. I have it set up. Its only 5 mins to do it if you have a dev unlocked device.

Again, I had this feature out of the box on Android. I'm not going down the road of hacking WP7 to enable features that should work out of the box. On one hand you have carriers forcing users to hack phones to enable features, and on the other you have Microsoft making threats about hacking the phones. They can argue about that, I'll just move on.
    Otherwise just need to wait till OEM's (Yes Samsung, HTC, LG and other to give you an update, because internet sharing already exists in WP7.5

No need for an OEM update, this and Visual Voicemail are crippled by the carrier. An OEM update won't change that.
    Youll get these problems on all platforms. But thats why you got a marketplace. To extend the functionallity of the phone from stock

That's fine, but I think I'll pass on paying for apps to help WP7 play catch-up.

-Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

daltonr wrote: »
    No need for an OEM update, this and Visual Voicemail are crippled by the carrier. An OEM update won't change that.

How do you know it's the carriers? If it's the carriers then my LG Optimus 7 with the European open firmware should have it enabled, but I don't. Same with visual voicemail (whatever that is).

How do you know it's the carriers? If it's the carriers then my LG Optimus 7 with the European open firmware should have it enabled, but I don't. Same with visual voicemail (whatever that is).

I know it's the carriers because Microsoft have said all along that Tethering and VVM are there for the carriers to implement.

It doesn't matter what firmware your phone has if it's connected to a carrier that tells the phone to hide the feature.

If Three came out and said, we don't have the ability to support VVM right now, but we're working on it, that would be fine.

I suspect the truth is they charge for access to voice mail and they don't want to lose cash that by allowing people access to this useful feature, so we'll never see it.

Of course they'll never just say that and give people clarity.

The tethering issue is less excusable, they don't need to do anything for this, it's already possible on other phones, they seem to be just jumping on the chance to make it difficult for people to get full value out of that All You Can Eat Data.

Between Carrier blocking and regional Issues, Windows Phone feels like something dated from about 2009, even with Mango installed.

I've tried getting a definitive list of the 500 new features that Microsoft claimed were in Mango, to see how many we actually got. It looks like Microsoft have been VERY liberal in their definition of a 'feature'.

-Rd

• Advertisement

Between Carrier blocking and regional Issues, Windows Phone feels like something dated from about 2009, even with Mango installed.

I've tried getting a definitive list of the 500 new features that Microsoft claimed were in Mango, to see how many we actually got. It looks like Microsoft have been VERY liberal in their definition of a 'feature'.

-Rd

Like no other company does that. Its marketing like everything else. You being with three should know that the best.

Apple and google does it as well. Every company does it. You might not see the feature. It just might be a process that does something in the background. But it's still a feature.

All you can eat data is not all you fan eat data.

Its an assumption that for majority of people 15gb of allowance is all they could use. But 15GB for some is not all you want.

Either way no one forced u to go with wp7 or to stay with it.

Me and alot of other people that went with wp7 are quite happy with it.

It has all the feature we want and like any other platform if it's not there. Get an app.

Everyone had different preferences :)

To me android and ios interface is absolutely boring. Only time i go on my SGS2 time is to demo it to people that want to buy it or to watch movies on a bigger screen.

I don't see a massive difference between the two in terms of features.

Especially since i enabled tethering I'm completely happy with it.

You might not see the feature. It just might be a process that does something in the background. But it's still a feature.

The point you're missing is that most of the major features are not available to Irish users. Here's The features matrix.

http://www.andrewtechhelp.com/andrews-tech-opinions/126-windows-phone-7-feature-availability-matrix-the-mango-edition

Read it carefully. Virtually nothing new for Irish Users in terms of Bing or Zune, and with VVM and Tethering also crippled, that's the heart of Mango gone.
    Either way no one forced u to go with wp7 or to stay with it.

I never said anyone did. I'm just here to make sure that anyone else thinking of buying a WP7 phone knows that the Irish experience is severely limited as compared with the claims by Microsoft (which only apply in the US).
    Me and alot of other people that went with wp7 are quite happy with it.

Great.

-Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

The tethering issue is less excusable, they don't need to do anything for this, it's already possible on other phones, they seem to be just jumping on the chance to make it difficult for people to get full value out of that All You Can Eat Data.

Not ture, the OEM's have to release drivers for the internet sharing/tethering

http://msicc.net/?p=679

As for Visual Voice mail, no carriers offer this in Ireland. You can use hullo I use blueface for my visual voice mail, but no carriers offer visual voice mail in Ireland yet.

AntiVirus wrote: »

Interesting. I was under the impression that Mango was going through rigorous testing with the manufacturers and Carriers precisely to make sure that the advertised features were available.

Handy to leave talk about particular features out there and only admit at the last minute that actually, no, that'll require some other future unspecified update that you may or may not get. NICE!!!
    As for Visual Voice mail, no carriers offer this in Ireland. You can use hullo I use blueface for my visual voice mail, but no carriers offer visual voice mail in Ireland yet.

Yep, but as I mentioned before If I have to go back to Hullomail, then I have to throw the Windows Phone in a drawer and go back to Android.

Really don't understand why Microsoft risks leaving features like Visual Voicemail in the Hands of carriers. Apple did the same. Go out and buy HulloMail or build a similar project and just do it. You don't need carriers, Hullomail have proven this.

Leaving things up to the carriers just means guaranteed pissed off customers who have no confidence that a phone/os will work as expected.

On the bright side.....

If you are a Windows Phone User, make sure to completely reset your phone after the Mango Install, and choose English(US) on initial startup This enables more features than simply updating the phone and changing the region.

I've managed to get barcode scan of books working.

Fills you with confidence doesn't it???

-Richard

If you are a Windows Phone User, make sure to completely reset your phone after the Mango Install, and choose English(US) on initial startup This enables more features than simply updating the phone and changing the region.

-Richard

Do not reset your phones!!!! Go into region+language and change the Browser & search language to United States. Thats all you need to do and bar code scaning will work.

Just on the Visual Voice mail, did you think by buying a windows phone the mobile operators in Ireland would just enable visual voice mail? Thats whats coming across from your posts?

Interesting. I was under the impression that Mango was going through rigorous testing with the manufacturers and Carriers precisely to make sure that the advertised features were available.

Handy to leave talk about particular features out there and only admit at the last minute that actually, no, that'll require some other future unspecified update that you may or may not get. NICE!!!

Yep, but as I mentioned before If I have to go back to Hullomail, then I have to throw the Windows Phone in a drawer and go back to Android.

Really don't understand why Microsoft risks leaving features like Visual Voicemail in the Hands of carriers. Apple did the same. Go out and buy HulloMail or build a similar project and just do it. You don't need carriers, Hullomail have proven this.

Leaving things up to the carriers just means guaranteed pissed off customers who have no confidence that a phone/os will work as expected.

On the bright side.....

-Richard

Tbh nobody cares about visual voicemail. Its only a couple of power users usually. Unless its my area only that doesn't use it?

You don't need to do a complete reset to enable Bing vision or music or navigation.

All you need to do is change locale to US from settings. Restart the phone and your done.

Barcode scanner and translator works perfect for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Read it carefully. Virtually nothing new for Irish Users in terms of Bing or Zune, and with VVM and Tethering also crippled, that's the heart of Mango gone.

I think you're quite misguided to call those four features the "heart" of Mango. The new features in Bing and a Zune Pass would be very nice to have, but they hardly make the update useless. I've never used voicemail or tethering, but I have used linked e-mails, the Facebook/Windows Live Messenger chat, Internet Explorer 9, the battery saver, improved Find My Phone, custom ringtones, pinned ShellTiles, BackgroundAgents, groups... the list goes on.

Microsoft never announced tethering or visual voice mail as new features in Mango. Visual voice mail was never announced, and the first official word about tethering was from the Windows Phone Blog which stated that it would only be available on newer devices. Joe Belfiore's tweet that AntiVirus linked to also gave the same caveats.

So I don't see how you can feel cheated about a feature that was only announced the same day that the Mango rollout began, and that Microsoft have always said was subject to the hardware being able to support it.

And the blog and tweet also state that the lack of tethering support is a device driver issue; not a carrier issue like you stated before:
    I know it's the carriers because Microsoft have said all along that Tethering and VVM are there for the carriers to implement.

It doesn't matter what firmware your phone has if it's connected to a carrier that tells the phone to hide the feature.

Do not reset your phones!!!! Go into region+language and change the Browser & search language to United States. Thats all you need to do and bar code scaning will work.

Did that. Didn't work. Started working after Reset. Obviously try changing the settings first, but if like me you find it doesn't work, then a reset seems to do the trick.
    Just on the Visual Voice mail, did you think by buying a windows phone the mobile operators in Ireland would just enable visual voice mail? Thats whats coming across from your posts?

No. I figured that either the platform would mature sufficiently for someone like HulloMail to provide an app, or, the VVM promised by Microsoft wouldn't rely on carriers. Wrong on both points and I should have stayed with Android until WP7 came up to scratch.

-Richard

Tbh nobody cares about visual voicemail. Its only a couple of power users usually. Unless its my area only that doesn't use it?

Earlier you said you didn't know what it is, and now you know that nobody cares about it!

Anyone paying Three to listen to their voicemails cares about Visual Voicemail, or should do.

-Richard

So I don't see how you can feel cheated

I don't feel cheated. I said above, I'm posting here to warn people that the Windows Phone experience that they may hear about from Microsoft, does not exist in Ireland, or in virtually any country outside the US.

So, now we begin the wait for Tango, ... I'm bored already.

-Rd

• Advertisement

Did that. Didn't work. Started working after Reset. Obviously try changing the settings first, but if like me you find it doesn't work, then a reset seems to do the trick.

Nobody should reset their phone, it does work. It's well know that this works. All anyone has to do to check this is change one setting and there you go, just try it. Do not reset your phone
    No. I figured that either the platform would mature sufficiently for someone like HulloMail to provide an app, or, the VVM promised by Microsoft wouldn't rely on carriers. Wrong on both points and I should have stayed with Android until WP7 came up to scratch.

-Richard

Visual voice mail does work, your problem is that your mobile carrier doesn't support it.

If you want to use hullo you'll need to switch back to Android. :pac:

Earlier you said you didn't know what it is, and now you know that nobody cares about it!

Anyone paying Three to listen to their voicemails cares about Visual Voicemail, or should do.

-Richard

are you even reading what people are saying or just came here to have a rant?

Visual voice mail does work, your problem is that your mobile carrier doesn't support it.
    If you want to use hullo you'll need to switch back to Android. :pac:

How is this different to what I've been saying in all these posts?

-Rd

are you even reading what people are saying or just came here to have a rant?

Apologies, with all the people saying similar stuff I quoted the wrong person. I stand by the point that VVM is far from some niche interest for power users.

I came here to make sure that people considering buying a WP7 phone in Ireland know what they are getting and not getting. My original post was just an attempt to get people to pin point what does and doesn't work.

For some reason that seems to have touched a few nerves. Don't know why.

-Rd

Apologies, with all the people saying similar stuff I quoted the wrong person. I stand by the point that VVM is far from some niche interest for power users.

I came here to make sure that people considering buying a WP7 phone in Ireland know what they are getting and not getting. My original post was just an attempt to get people to pin point what does and doesn't work.

-Rd

No your not. You dont see tons of apple, nokia, windows phone owners going on the android forums and ranting on how slow it is, how many sexy dirty wallpaper apps there are, how half the marketplace is filled with crap, how malware rules the platform and low standards for the platform make lots of fragmentation.

Visual Voicemail is not that popular in Ireland. Most people dont even know of it. Alot of people dont even know how to use voicemail properly.

Your ranting how no visual voicemail screws up the platform. All the missing services can be replaced by FREE apps. Just like any other platform.

Ive done arguing here. Just moving in circless.

How is this different to what I've been saying in all these posts?

-Rd

Oh, so now you're saying visual voicemail does work? Make your mind up :confused:
    VVM promised by Microsoft wouldn't rely on carriers.

I don't know where you pull this from but that's not true, care to post a link to this.

-Rd

You're telling people to reset their phones because you couldn't follow some basic steps! :pac:

No your not. You dont see tons of apple, nokia, windows phone owners going on the android forums and ranting on how slow it is, how many sexy dirty wallpaper apps there are, how half the marketplace is filled with crap, how malware rules the platform and low standards for the platform make lots of fragmentation.

Visual Voicemail is not that popular in Ireland. Most people dont even know of it. Alot of people dont even know how to use voicemail properly.

Your ranting how no visual voicemail screws up the platform. All the missing services can be replaced by FREE apps. Just like any other platform.

Ive done arguing here. Just moving in circless.

I mentioned VVM among a host of other issues and features of Mango that aren't available in Ireland, and I never said anything like it screws up the platform.

I'm not an Android user complaining about WP7, I'm a WP7 user and developer complaining about WP7. Are you saying we should all stay schtum about deficiencies in Mango and WP7? It's taboo?

If you're happy with WP7 then like I said great for you.

-Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SenboBaggins

Okay so I have an unlocked tmobile Omnia 7 but I'm now on meteor. Tried force updating to no avail. I contacted meteor to see when are they updating but they said the following...

"I can confirm that Meteor do not offer updates for these Handsets the manufacturers should apply alll updates, You will need to contact them directly" "You need to visit the Samsung website for updates"

But aren't the carriers/operators meant to be releasing updates to its customers?? Not the manufacturer...ie Samsung I'm confused! I know its through Zune and MS but its so frustrating

• Advertisement

"I can confirm that Meteor do not offer updates for these Handsets the manufacturers should apply alll updates, You will need to contact them directly" "You need to visit the Samsung website for updates"

It say's here they are "Delivering Update"

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/features/update-schedule-world.aspx

Advertisement