Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours kids releasing my dog

• 27-09-2011 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

i need help... my neighbours child keeps releasing my dog from back garden.

My dog is a boxer, and very friendly but other neighbours have told me that the child(2yo) sorry:3yo that takes her is, lets just say "rough" with her, and although she has great patience with MY kids i wud still never take my eyes off them while playing.

I have tried talking to the kids parent, and i may be naive but i had no idea any1 could be so ignorant. after talking to that particular "brick wall" i put a padlock on our gate, but this only stoped the kid for a fw days and today he climbed over the fence and released her TWICE!

dog is tied because she jumps the fence and goes eating all sorts of stuff all over the (very small) village making herself very sick.

i have no idea what to do, the dog dosnt want to be stuck indoors all day and i cant watch the back garden every second that shes out

please any ideas will help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

How is she letting her out if the gate is padlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 irishnamesonly

shes a boxer she can jump over, the child has a small dog himself so my dog dosnt hesitate to go "play"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Can you keep your dog indoors?

If the dog is tied, try stronger ties? A 2yo should not be able to release a dog... or build a higher fence/gate. Or just tell the parents to keep their 2yo out of your back garden...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Dog run?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Grease on the wall?

It'll destroy the childs clothes and they won't hop over again

well.. i didnt think he wud get over the fence but he did, its a large key chain clip onto her collar but i think if i changed this he would just take off her collar...?

Can you keep your dog indoors?
    she loves being out, why punish my dog?

Dog run?
    is that a cage type thing? like in that movie beethoven?

mikemac wrote: »
    Grease on the wall?

It'll destroy the childs clothes and they won't hop over again
    its a fence... any i wouldnt want to risk injury, that would be a whole other kettle of fish!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

You could get someone to make you wire mesh panels that you could attach to the top of your fence. Probably not the cheapest solution but at least you would not be compromising on the amount of light making it into your garden. Depending on length it might work out reasonably enough. The boxer might be able to make it up the wall but as long as he/she can't get a proper foothold will probably not be able to manage the wire mesh. For a cheaper solution you could try a heavy duty netting over the entire garden but would probably be a right pain. I have some over part of my dog run but I don't have to go in there so I don't mind it

she loves being out, why punish my dog?

Just keep her indoors when you know the child is being unsupervised outside :confused:. Not that big a deal, surely?

Just keep her indoors when you know the child is being unsupervised outside :confused:. Not that big a deal, surely?
    ah... the thing is this child is left outside ALL day and i cannot see his house from my house anyway. in the "conversation" i had with his mother she didnt seem to give a f*** what he was doing or if he even got bitten, and this is why I am trying to find a solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

What kind of parents are they letting a 2 year old baby (coz they still are at that age) out unsupervised shame on them.

Get a dog run, tieing her up isn't ideal and if you can't get a dog run then keep her indoors and take her for longer walks.

Would highly recommend getting a dog run if you can't get the garden re-fenced higher. There are a few on the market now and some have roofs.
    I'd recommend if you have a blank wall that you use the wall instead of one of the run panels and then get 2 long side panels, one gate panel and a roof panel because your dog is a Houdini a roof panel will make sure the dog can't scale the run, in general runs aren't easy to get out of but to be on the safe side.
    The dog runs come with a handy place to put the padlock.

cilldara.ie are excellent I have mine years and they last a lifetime, worth the investement..cheaper than ending up with vet bills or worse a solicitors letter should your dog (good and all as she is) bite out of frustration with the kid.
    Hayses modular are another crowd. There are a few more on the market as well.

One person can put them together and you can move them around the garden, trust me, they are a life safer and will keep your mind at rest as well.

If the parents won't listen then everytime the kid pops over tell the child to go back home and that he's not allowed eventually he'll get the message.

thanks Stigma Force it looks like ill have to get/make a dog run then so I aprciate your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have issues with my neighbours and their kids too, from them throwing food in my garden to calling the dogs to the fence and hitting them with sticks. Parents think its funny.

I keep my dogs in and don't let them out unless supervised. And reported to the council that they are dumping illegally in my garden(since talking to them didn't work).
    My dogs are more important to me than their kids are (to me or them it seems)

If you want to let the dog outside you need to make the garden secure or buy a run. Look online for dog runs, its the only thing will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

This country is awash with bad parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I wonder would the mother pay heed if the child "accidently" stepped in dog poo every time she came round to your house - and walked it back to their own house! Just a thought..

** I would never normally condone this kind of behaviour but badly parented kids do my head in!

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    This country is awash with bad parents.

It's not the only one tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I like the dog poo idea, just a little smidge at first on the bottom of the shoe..if that doesn't work leave a carefully placed turd at the bottom of the fence.

A bit of dog poo is surely a safer method than the dog getting out and being run over or the kid getting knocked over by the dog or nipped because the kids aggrivating the pooch. What's a bit of poo between neighbours eh :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Have you been there when this little scut has done this??

If it were me I know what I'd be doing... washing down the back garden, oops he just climbed right over as I was washing the dog poo... Its terribly unfortunate the things that can happen when kids trespass!!

LOL...

On a serious note, this kid needs to be thought a lesson and there's nothing you can do but talk to the parents over and over. Personally I'd be letting a scream at the little ****! Frighten the life outa him

this poo idea is funny and it wud prob be a good idea if i cud catch the kid in the act, but to be honest most of the time he looks like he hasnt seen a bath in a month so i dont know if the mother wud even notice, i have been told that the child himself has been doing his buisness in their own front garden.

garkane wrote: »
    On a serious note, this kid needs to be thought a lesson and there's nothing you can do but talk to the parents over and over.
    that would only be a waste of time... since i spoke to the mum he has upped his "visits" to my garden, and i wouldnt be surprised if she has encouraged it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

i have been told that the child himself has been doing his buisness in their own front garden.

but to be honest most of the time he looks like he hasnt seen a bath in a month

this child is left outside ALL day......his mother she didnt seem to give a f*** what he was doing

Quick call to the HSE to send a social worker around?

You might not need to bother with a dog run if you can simply make your fences higher? Dunno how high you can make them in your area without planning permission, but here you can have them 6 ft high. No 2 year old should be able to climb that surely...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dshamrock2000

this poo idea is funny and it wud prob be a good idea if i cud catch the kid in the act, but to be honest most of the time he looks like he hasnt seen a bath in a month so i dont know if the mother wud even notice, i have been told that the child himself has been doing his buisness in their own front garden.

Unfortunately my brother in law witnessed such an act a few weeks ago when opening the upstairs window in his house, 2 kids took a dump in the neighbours garden, washed their hands with the outside tap and then they picked it up and threw it into the bush, wiped their hands on their clothes and ran out with the rest of the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Sadly sounds all to familiar to me.

I would definitely go for the pen, you can get the gates made to order so you can specify how high up you want the latch (and what type).
    At least the dog will be safe.

Oh and place it in view of house, so you can see when the child comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

You might not need to bother with a dog run if you can simply make your fences higher? Dunno how high you can make them in your area without planning permission, but here you can have them 6 ft high. No 2 year old should be able to climb that surely...

You are right, any fence over 6' requires planning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Personally if it was me, and some idiot was letting a 2 year old wander freely around the whole world and refused to acknowledge that there is a problem with this, I'd ring social services (and have done!), it isn't just stray animals that become everyone else's business. The way a lot of people treat their own off-spring is disgusting. A two year old child can't look after itself and if the child's parents have no interest in that child's welfare, it needs to be brought to the attention of the relevant authorities, this should have been done as soon as the issue became apparent, there is no excuse for putting a child in potential danger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

mikemac wrote: »
    Quick call to the HSE to send a social worker around?

I have to say, I feel really sorry for the poor kid. To be allowed wander around unsupervised, scruffy and uncared for at two years of age is so sad. The HSE would certainly be getting a call from me in this case!
    Also, people like this kid's mother are, in my experience, the first to cause holy war if your dog so much as scratches their child. Not necessarily out of concern for the child, but because they see euro signs when they sue you for damages.
    So yes, whilst it's a nuisance that the little one keeps letting your dog out, there's a whole other bigger picture that I'd find hard to ignore.

Advertisement