Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours kids releasing my dog

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

beat the child

• Registered Users Posts: 47 niamhsiobhan

It's really very basic, it's your house, your dog, your rules. I'd have a very stern talk with the parents. You have the common sense and respect for others, to tie up your dog to keep both the dog and other people safe. I don't understand how the parents could be so idiotic here and not have the same sense.

Kids will be kids and obviously the 2 yr old doesn't see the danger. It's up to the parents to see it. I know you've had a chat with them before, but this time I'd be very clear and firm in what you expect from them. . . You'd find to see the if anything did happen to their child as a result of your dog, they would not hesitate in knocking on your door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

MOSSAD wrote: »
    beat the child

:rolleyes:

Banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ok, im a bit lost..
    my neighbours child keeps releasing my dog from back garden.

Releasing it to where? Your estate,neighbours back garden or your own?Im shocked that a 2 year old (still a baby) is allowed roam around unsupervised?Even a 4 year old id be questioning, but 2?! Crazy!:eek:
    wrote:
    i put a padlock on our gate, but this only stoped the kid for a fw days and today he climbed over the fence and released her TWICE!
    Whats the point in putting a padlock on the gate if hes climbing your fence?How high is your fence? A 2 year old cant climb that high. He cant be "releasing" your dog by a gate if its padlocked in fairness.Your fence must be ridiculously low if this is the case.
    wrote:
    dog is tied because she jumps the fence and goes eating all sorts of stuff all over the (very small) village making herself very sick.
    So the padlock on your gate isnt the problem.He's untying him by getting into your garden.How does a 2 year old release a tied up dog?
    wrote:
    i have no idea what to do, the dog dosnt want to be stuck indoors all day and i cant watch the back garden every second that shes out
    January wrote: »
    How is she letting her out if the gate is padlocked?
    It doesnt sound like its a gate issue. OP if your fences are too low between neighbouring gardens,low enough for a "2 year old":eek: to get over, then this is the first thing you need to address....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Six foot high fence, 6 foot high gate, and put some grease on the gate to ensure it opens nicely. Maybe put some on the top :D

Oh, and call the HSE. Let them know that the child is uncared for, and tends to sh|t outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

anniehoo wrote: »

It doesnt sound like its a gate issue. OP if your fences are too low between neighbouring gardens,low enough for a "2 year old":eek: to get over, then this is the first thing you need to address....

+1 .Sorry op but i laughed when i saw you had the gate padlocked but yet a 2 yr old can get over the side/back fence.

Like the above poster said raise your fences , to keep your dog in and unwanted guests out .

I do find it hard to believe that a 2 year old can climb your fence (it must be only 1 foot) and releases your dog ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 13 irishnamesonly

Shammy wrote: »
    +1 .Sorry op but i laughed when i saw you had the gate padlocked but yet a 2 yr old can get over the side/back fence.

Like the above poster said raise your fences , to keep your dog in and unwanted guests out .

I do find it hard to believe that a 2 year old can climb your fence (it must be only 1 foot) and releases your dog ..........
    my fence is a meter high and im in a rented property so im not going to change it but im going to buy/make a dog run thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 13 irishnamesonly

i dont know if im comfortable calling hse over this, my issue is about him releasing the dog. as i said before, i was told that he is outside all day and poos in his own garden, so wouldnt it be hearsay on my part to report it? and although i did get the impression that the mother dosnt give a **** about him i cant realy ring them and say that either. i cant see the house from my house as ive said so what would i be reporting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

i dont know if im comfortable calling hse over this, my issue is about him releasing the dog. as i said before, i was told that he is outside all day and poos in his own garden, so wouldnt it be hearsay on my part to report it? and although i did get the impression that the mother dosnt give a **** about him i cant realy ring them and say that either. i cant see the house from my house as ive said so what would i be reporting?

I dont mean to be nasty here but it is attitudes like this that have kids and animals in bad situations in this country.
    you know the child is unsupervised and trespassing in a potentially dangerous situation at a young age and have reason for concern over a number of other issues.......................let the HSE decide if there is an issue..........thats their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I agree with the other posters who are encouraging you to report the parents, this goes way beyond your problem with the child letting out your dog (and by the way, why don't you just keep the dog inside, take it for 2 or 3 walks in the day and it will be fine inside, I don't understand why you think your dog wants to be kept outside?!), a 3 year old child being allowed to wander round by itself and going to the toilet in the garden, that's neglect pure and simple surely?

Look, even if you haven't seen the child going to the toilet in his/her garden, the fact that the child is coming into your garden over your fence and releasing your dog and you've spoken to the mother/parents and they don't give a toss, to me that's reason enough to call the HSE, I'm amazed that noone else has done it so far if, as you say, the child is just let wander round the street/village whatever. I have to agree with Ppink, attitudes like 'I don't want to get involved' (not directing that at you specifically, just in general) is one reason there are so many kids (and animals) in bad situations in this country, you may not want to phone the HSE and get involved in this but I really think you have to, not just for your dogs welfare but the welfare of that poor child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

ppink wrote: »
    I dont mean to be nasty here but it is attitudes like this that have kids and animals in bad situations in this country.
    you know the child is unsupervised and trespassing in a potentially dangerous situation at a young age and have reason for concern over a number of other issues.......................let the HSE decide if there is an issue..........thats their job.

I think this is very true, turning a blind eye is a big problem in this country in allowing abuse to continue. But I would say be smart about it, its sad to say but people like that are likely to make your life hell if they thought it was you who reported them. Leave it a while before ringing, but do ring, that child deserves a decent start in life, it doesnt sound like he is getting it.

I have found when speaking with Public health nurses in my job that usually they are very much aware of these families, in all my reporting I have not been the first to make them aware. (its part of my job to flag potential abuse, im not just reporting everyone:p:p)

A dog run is a good idea too, esp as there seems to be an increase in dogs being stolen, if a 3 year old can get at your dog then an adult thief would have no problem.(keeping indoors would be even better though!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

Hi irishnamesonly.
    I can understand your reluctance in not wanting to ring social services. By the sounds of it, doubt parents will be bothered. Unfortunately if your dog is let out by this kid and causes a nuisance to someone else, the authorities will be at your door. As you said your buying a dog run, it'll take care of it. Hopefully kid will leave you alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Just wait until the child does something to scare/annoy the dog and he bites the child and wait for the backlash to hit you.... because that is what will happen if you don't get something sorted quickly. A phone call to Social Services would be the best thing to do, the child may already have been reported and is under their watch, this will make them sit up and take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

I completely agree with calling the HSE.
    The child is repeatedly allowed to put his life in danger.
    Regardless of whether your dog is friendly or not, this child is in danger being unsupervised outside. Not to mention he is trespassing in a garden with a large dog (who could easily unintentionally hurt the child).

My staffie cross is a sweetie, however she knocked into me on Sunday and I slipped. I now have a bandaged hand and wrist, over-extened little finger and possibly 1 or 2 fractures in my hand/wrist (will find out tomorrow). Imagine what could easily happen to a child. Or what they would try with you if it happened.

I understand that you may feel that you would be putting yourself in an awkward situation but living in a small village, where other people clearly talk about this mother/child, there is no reason to point the finger at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Please don't put dog poo near the child. If he gets it in his mouth or eyes somehow it could make him very sick.

The best thing to do is call the local health board and raise the "concern" with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

You can't see the house from your house?? You mean a 2 year old child is out of sight from it's parents for god only knows how long and you don't know what you would be reporting???
    There was a incident where I live last year where a 2 years old was hit by a reversing van and died, the mother had sent the child to the shop for sweets (across a busy enough road). The mother blamed the driver, her other children (who she said should have been watching him :rolleyes:), everyone really but herself.
    My point being if anything goes wrong, your dog and you will get the blame. Do yourself, your dog and the child a favour and report what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Could you bring your dog to a minder or doggy day care while you work?I know its a pain but if the dog isnt there the child will move on and your dog would have company :),if your dog is anything like my 2 boxers then its all play :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

OP since you are renting then a mobile dog run would be a better investement because you can take it if you move, if you build one it might be more fiddley but if you're good with DIY it's worth giving it a go but to build a strong sturdy one the materials might cost near as much as the run panels that screw together.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Advertisement