Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VOIP Phone

• 27-09-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi all, can any phone be used for voip?

I only ask as I pluged in my house phone to my router to see what happens and tried to make a call.
    I got dial tone then lady telling me i had used up allowance.
    I am with 3 for BB.

Can anyone explain?

Thanks

James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

here is another Q,

via lan my jitter is between 10 and 23
    via wifi dongle it is between 35 and 90

would this improve with a pc card with an aerial on a lead?
    or would a voip phone be better as it would be pluged directly into the router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Yes any phone including Dects can be used for voip.

To do so you need:-

1) An account with a voip provider.
    2) A router with a built in telephone connection or an ATA connected to your router.
    3) You need to configure your router/ATA for your specific VOIP provider.

With an IP phone the phone is connected to the router and the phone is configured for your specific VOIP provider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cisco-Linksys-PAP2T-UK-unlocked-VoIP-Adapter-ATA-/250783181779?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item3a63d7abd3

I have one of these and an account with blueface.

If your internet is slow the call quality will be rubbish.

I use ordinary DECT phones "cheap ones" with it. And use this as my main phone.

Whats your main purpose of this as there are other ways of doing the same thing

FSL wrote: »
    Yes any phone including Dects can be used for voip.

To do so you need:-

1) An account with a voip provider.
    2) A router with a built in telephone connection or an ATA connected to your router.
    3) You need to configure your router/ATA for your specific VOIP provider.

With an IP phone the phone is connected to the router and the phone is configured for your specific VOIP provider

great, means i can try voip, how would I configure the router to blueface?

thanks
    james

jamesbil wrote: »
    great, means i can try voip, how would I configure the router to blueface?

thanks
    james

Is your router an ATA router? You configure it from your laptop with the ip address of the router. Then enter in the SIP settings from blueface

• Advertisement

what is an ata router?
    mine is the 3 wireless router, Huawei B260a

Here is a link to the user manual the information you need should be in it,
    http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=document&softid=NDE4NTM=

thanks, but all it says is this;

When you hear the dial tone after picking up the handset, you can make a call.

it does say a bit about ppp, dhcp etc, but not applying it to voip.

Presumably then the telephone socket is only there to enable you to make a normal mobile call using an ordinary handset.

To use voip you would need an ATA I use a Linksys Pap2, I purchased from Blueface.

I have it connected to my router with my Dect base station connected to it.

how does the ATA connect to the router?

on the Huawei there is only 1 network port and 1 phone port.

• Advertisement

You would need a router connected to the Huawei but 3g broadband is flaky and not really suitable for voip so I would just put a software phone on your machine such as the X-lite and try that before spending anything on equipment.

Have been using the Zoiper softfone for a few weeks with no issues apart from poor quality headset.

Have been using the Zoiper softfone for a few weeks with no issues apart from poor quality headset.

I have a funny feeling its nothing to do with your handset. Its your internet speed. Bad speed = Terrible call ;)

no, the call is fine, not breaking up at all, just slightly muffled, its like this with music thru this head set too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

how does the ATA connect to the router?

on the Huawei there is only 1 network port and 1 phone port.

ATA's come in various forms ..... stand-alone ATA, router with built-in ATA, and Phone with built-in ATA.

Regardless which option you take, it will need to go between your Huawei and your PC. Therefore it will need, as a minimum, a 'WAN' side port to connect to the Huawei and a 'LAN' side port to connect to the PC.
    Some devices will have multiple LAN ports, others may have multiple WAN ports, while yet others have no 'LAN' port at all.

Anyway, you need the minimum of one of each.

This one for instance (just an example, not a recommendation) has a WAN & LAN port so could suit your setup. It also has the facility for two VOIP phones and two different VOIP accounts. Two accounts can be useful for separating calls to two different providers to get the best price per call type.

http://www.grandstream.com/index.php/products/ip-voice-telephony/consumer-analog-telephone-adaptors/ht502

If you do a search for SIP IP Phones you will get plenty information which should help you decide.

regards

Thanks for that, guess why I havent replied till now?

Yep, internet down!!

Will keep my landline package for now and just use blueface for international.

Advertisement