Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puma Faas -anyone tried them?

• 27-09-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has tried out the new Puma Faas range, the 300 or 500s?

Considering them as a lightweight neutral trainer but would like to hear some genuine experience of them first.

Have a pair of Mizuno wave riders but have had to bin them due to them causing niggling injuries, they just don't suit my feet. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 siooo88

I have been running in the puma faas since April and have found them great!! I use the 500's for everyday training, have ran up to half marathon distance in them so far. I also have a pair of 300's that I use for sprints n general wear after runs...they are designed to take you away from running on your heel. They will feel a bit different to your mizuno's at first as the sole is pretty flat but extremely flexible in the forefoot to allow the foot to move more naturally. They are targeted towards someone with a neutral gait, but I have a mild level of overpronation in both feet and have had no issues with them so far. I switched to them back in April after having trouble with my ITB, since then I havent hadnt any problems. Worth trying in my opinion!! have you tried the 500's or 300's on yet?? how did you find them??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Thanks for that siooo88.

I'm currently running in a pair of Asics DS Trainers. They have some motion control, but I like the fact that they are light.
    Got gait analysis done last Feb which said I was Neutral, so went for the Wave Riders.
    Unfortunately, after a month or so I developed a niggle in my left foot. Ever since, any time I put on the Mizuno's, I feel it return straight away. With the Asics, I don't have any such problem.

I believe its just the structure of the shoe doesn't suit me, so I'm a little wary of straying away from the Asics, but having tried on the Pumas, they did feel very light and nicely cushioned.

If anyone else has any first hand experience it would be helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I got the 300s during the summer and wore them for a good few runs before retiring them to 'fashion' shoe status.
    While they are fansatically light and flexible, I find that the upper allows too much movement and found that my feet were slipping down over the insole on landing. I was wearing them for runs of 5-7 miles. They might be more suited to faster shorter runs

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

I got a pair of 500's a couple of months ago, they are the lightest shoe I have ever tried, I keep them for my 4 - 6miles runs and haven;t done anything longer in them, I got my first sub 35m 5miles in them a while back which was fast by my standards so I love them. I am suffering this week from what feels like plantar faciitis, I dont know if the two are related, I have increased miles a good bit recently. If you are used to mid to high support in your normal shoes I would be careful moiving to these as they are almost neutral.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do you want to wear them for all your runs or just some of them? They're a big transition from the more cushioned/supportive shoes.

Where did you get your gait analysis done?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, I'm a little unsure about them and wary of non-asics, hence looking for feedback.
    Do you want to wear them for all your runs or just some of them? They're a big transition from the more cushioned/supportive shoes.

Where did you get your gait analysis done?

Gait analysis was done in AK, so it wasn't a dodgy Elvery's job. Seems I'm unfortunate in the shoe I picked to be fair.

I'm looking for a main training shoe, though I'll still be using the DST for a while as I break the new ones in.

Maybe I'm better off sticking with what I know doesn't give me trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Thanks for the replies, I'm a little unsure about them and wary of non-asics, hence looking for feedback.

Gait analysis was done in AK, so it wasn't a dodgy Elvery's job. Seems I'm unfortunate in the shoe I picked to be fair.

I'm looking for a main training shoe, though I'll still be using the DST for a while as I break the new ones in.

Different strokes for different folks, eh ? I used to have a pair of asics and every time I even thought about wearing them my legs would get sore. Man, I hated those things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

Maybe try a lightweight performance trainer first,you will get more use as you can use it on soem of your everyday runs.

Asics Ds trainer,Mizuno Elixer,Saucony Mirage ect.

Sometimes a small change ie alot of people shifting from Kayano's too Brooks Adrenaline,slightly lower profile.

ps Puma Fass 500 I felt very chunky.300 looks sharp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

AK are great, I'd recommend going back in and telling them what happened with the shoe you got, the guys from Oranmore post on here and would happily help you out.

Sometimes it's better not to change your shoe, but there's so much on offer, especially for a neutral runner that maybe you just got unlucky.

Called in yesterday to see what they had options wise. They didn't have the DS Trainer in stock, but I tried the Brooks ST5. It seemed like a nice shoe alright, am just wondering if its more a racer than training shoe and whether I'd get good mileage out of it.

They had some interesting shoes, the Innov8s are very different to your standard runners, just don't know if I would make that sort of leap.

I'm tending away from the Puma and back towards the Asics DST, but the Brooks are now a contender.

Too many options. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Brooks st5 I use and find them great for long distances ''racing''
    Wouldn't use it for training other than sessions or intervals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Bought a pair of Faas 500's about 3 weeks ago & have found them pretty good so far.

They will be making their race debut tomorrow in the Galway Bay 10k so hopefully they can push me to a sub-40 PB.

Still have my trusty Asics Cumulus and can't imagine doing more than 10 miles in the Pumas at the moment but that might change after i get more used of them.

One minor gripe - have noticed that the tongue tends to move about a bit during running. not a huge problem to date but could become an issue on longer runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

Called in yesterday to see what they had options wise. They didn't have the DS Trainer in stock, but I tried the Brooks ST5. It seemed like a nice shoe alright, am just wondering if its more a racer than training shoe and whether I'd get good mileage out of it.

They had some interesting shoes, the Innov8s are very different to your standard runners, just don't know if I would make that sort of leap.

I'm tending away from the Puma and back towards the Asics DST, but the Brooks are now a contender.

Brooks st is a great shoe. Small posting and great cushion. Weighs about 70grams lighter than DS. Depending on your build you could get away with the st racer for everyday training but could be better suited for speed work. You could try the brooks ravenna be similar support to the DS trainer or the Mizuno Elixir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

Brooks st is a great shoe. Small posting and great cushion. Weighs about 70grams lighter than DS. Depending on your build you could get away with the st racer for everyday training but could be better suited for speed work. You could try the brooks ravenna be similar support to the DS trainer or the Mizuno Elixir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Got a pair of 500's and hate them. Any takers (free of charge)? Mens size 10. 10 miles on them.

Advertisement