Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillview Burglaries'

• 27-09-2011 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Heard today that there were 10 Burglaries' in Hillview over the weekend...its gone crazy now:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

And my parent's house was burgled at 3pm in the day, last week. (Cork Road)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

What are they robbing cash, jewellery?

Exactly those two things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

yup seems to be mainly cash jewellery and laptops. Me work mate now keeps his lappy in the car when going out now..but sure it could be robbed there too, maybe less likely I dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

It would be wise to invest in an alarm system. or does that not even deter them anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

cocoshovel wrote: »
    It would be wise to invest in an alarm system. or does that not even deter them anymore?

I would guess people's best bet would be to arm their houses with any legal self defense weapon they can get their handson, I think because house and car alarms go off so often it doesn't deter them so much as it used too.

Alot of the people I know who have been burgled seem to be old, But it is not just Waterford its happening everywhere. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Get some dogs. Mine have alerted me to the presence of intruders on our property, and physically chased them back off it a number of times in recent years.

They'll let me know well before the alarm could go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

deisedave wrote: »
    cocoshovel wrote: »

I would guess people's best bet would be to arm their houses with any legal self defense weapon they can get their handson, I think because house and car alarms go off so often it doesn't deter them so much as it used too.

Alot of the people I know who have been burgled seem to be old, But it is not just Waterford its happening everywhere. :(

Hurley's by your bed at night for protection, these drug addicts will not stop these robberys anytime soon especially if they are getting away with it so easy, I say drug addicts because its heroin that is causing all this increase in robberys and burglarys lately imo, these strung out people will do anything for their next hit and I worry someone may be hurt soon as I was informed some of these addicts are carrying knifes when they go robbing, probably because they are too weak to fight with any victim who challenges them. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Tramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

An artists impression of the culprit:

bullas_cat_burglar.jpg

• Advertisement

Email crimecall@garda.ie for crime prevention pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

jaysus I didnt hear anything about this. Guess that means i wasnt robbed so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The local cop shop were on WLR yesterday warning of how the next 2 months will see a seasonal surge as the nights draw in, then it levels off cos it gets cold and wet and robbers chancing their arm don't like poor weather much it seems.

The best protection is activity, a light or two and the sound of tv/radio/dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

couple of years ago our neighbours dog kept coming down in the dark of night and robbing our dogs metal dish. so me father electrified the dish. one night i heard an awful yelp and a terrified scatter of legs into the bushes. the dish was never robbed again.

maybe a similar strategy can be imposed in hillview.

One of the best robbery prevention methods of probably the least used.

Lock every door as you go to bed or leave the house, the villain probably thinks he's going to have an easy time once he is inside the four walls but if he then has to get past another locked door suddenly its much harder work.

mike65 wrote: »

Lock every door as you go to bed or leave the house, the villain probably thinks he's going to have an easy time once he is inside the four walls but if he then has to get past another locked door suddenly its much harder work.
    Surely this is not a fire hazard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Always remember One cartridge in the robber and then one in the cieling!

decies wrote: »
    Surely this is not a fire hazard?

Well it would make escape a bit longer unless one was leaving via the rooms window but in a home with no young children I don't think it would present a greater threat in that respect.

WLR carried another story today this time cars being opened (sounds like they were unlocked) and checked out overnight. Earls Court area I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

mike65 wrote: »

I know someone who used to do that. 'Used' to being the operative word.

Their house was broken into and the thiefs kicked the doors off the hinges, doing massive damage to both doors and frames and quite costly to get fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The amount of people who still leave their cars/houses unlocked is crazy. Some people seem to think it will never happen in "their estate". Well face modern times people, no estate is safe. Here's what everyone should be doing nowadays:

- Lock front and back doors, and lock windows. While not a deterrant to all, it is a deterrent to some. (Locking inside doors will deter some burglars, but if the house is empty it probably won't stop them, and could mean they will kick in the door as locked door = something valuable.)

- Leave nothing in view. Put laptops away, hide consoles, hide jewellery, pull the curtain!!! They will initally look, and if they see something valuable they will probably go for it. If they can't see anything, it may stop them coming in.

- Same goes for cars, stop leaving stuff in plain view in the cars. Insurance companies won't cover items left in plain view (i believe they need to be in the glove box/boot to be covered).

- Alarm the house: while it may not deter all, loud noises scare some burglars. You can get Phonewatch for about €300 these days i think.

- Guard dogs: a good prevention, but there could be some liability on the owner.

- Lock your cars while driving. There are alot more thefts from cars while stopped at lights than there used to be.

- CCTV: there are companies out there that will install CCTV the same as a business premesis. Depending on how much you want to pay, you can have the cameras as a deterrent, or recording to a hard-drive. Not as expensive as some might think (go for the smaller companies)

And then, of course, if you have the money:

- Monitored CCTV: it's not just for businesses, but it is fairly expensive.

But one thing everyone should get, and it's free, are the Neighbourhood Watch stickers from the Gardai. It will deter a few.

Overall, be vigilant, criminals are oppertunistic, if they see a chance they'll take it. Ireland has expanded and people don't know their neighbours anymore. Get to know your estate if you live in one. Have meetings, look out for each other. Work together. If you know the people in your estate, you can see the criminals more obviously. Contact the Community Policing section of the Gardai and look for your community guard to come to a meeting to advise further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Finnbar01 wrote: »

Their house was broken into and the thiefs kicked the doors off the hinges, doing massive damage to both doors and frames and quite costly to get fixed.

That's exactly what happens when you lock internal doors. Except in the case of my house it was a crowbar but it had the same effect, having to replace doors and frames is an added headache. The Gardai who called out advised us never to lock internal doors, in their own words "once they are in they are in so you may as well limit the damage they will do".

An alarm is sadly not a deterrent when druggies are involved as they are in and out within seconds. A monitored alarm however gives you a lot more peace of mind but has a yearly cost associated. Our alarm went off in the middle of the night recently, which is a nightmare to wake up to. It turned out it was a spider after making his web across one of the sensors, but we had a phone call from the monitoring company within seconds of the alarm going off telling us only one sensor was tripped and it was possibly a false alarm. They stayed on the line when we checked it out and reminded us what we were told when we signed up. As soon as a 2nd sensor is tripped they call the Gardai straight away and advise you to hide / protect yourself. It's a small peace of mind for a price, but worth every cent of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Finnbar01 wrote: »

Happened to people i know also.

8 houses in lismore park aswell supposedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

There are not many heroin addicts in waterford, I would not say its them. However what there seems to be, unfortunately, is an abundance of knackers.

Nuff said.

Carrickpeeish halting site is not that far from hillview if they are coming in cross country from the back of hillview. That's your problem right there i would be thinking. It makes the mind boggle why the council, and the residents of the area moreso, would allow a pikey halting site to be built so close to what is a, relatively, good area.

There are not many heroin addicts in waterford, I would not say its them. However what there seems to be, unfortunately, is an abundance of knackers.

Nuff said.

Carrickpeeish halting site is not that far from hillview if they are coming in cross country from the back of hillview. That's your problem right there i would be thinking. It makes the mind boggle why the council, and the residents of the area moreso, would allow a pikey halting site to be built so close to what is a, relatively, good area.

How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Some people are just *****.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

How do you know?

Call it a hunch. A hunch that i would put €100 on. C'mon, seriously, i mean who else could it be. I would say travellers at 1.5:1, east euro foreigners and general chavs at 3:1 and junkies at about 6:1

Well what I meant was, how do you know there isn't many heroin addicts?

Nuff said.
    Are ya mad. Fecking loads of heroin heads around town.

The only problems I ever heard about the people on that halting site is the horses down the back of hillview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 GIS A JOB

There is a white van going around Hillview/Congress Place/Gracedieu areas. There are at least two occupants, maybe three. They are knocking on doors asking if you want your gutters cleaned, but they are really sussing the place out. They are calling early in the morning or late in the evening, so beware, don't answer the door, have a look out sidefirst. Try to get the registration and tell the garda.

Advertisement