Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal board curtain hanging

• 27-09-2011 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi guys
    I am trying to find best way to hang heavy curtain on 50mm thermal board. I have been to a couple DIY shops all which are a bit non committal
    Any ideas greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hi guys
    I am trying to find best way to hang heavy curtain on 50mm thermal board. I have been to a couple DIY shops all which are a bit non committal
    Any ideas greatly appreciated
    Thanks

I assume you're going to hang a curtain pole first? :)

If so, don't buy one of those units where there's a concealed mounting plate with the fixing holes only 10-15mm away from each other - grand if you're going into brick but not if you're planning on using plugs. Instead, get something with a decent sized bracket where the mounting holes are at couple of inches away from each other or so.

-

I got some new type hi-load expandable plugs in Chadwicks - they had boxes of them on the counter with varying load bearing capacities and you could buy small quantities for about a euro a pop. Can't find a picture on the web but they were plastic / about 10mm in diameter & 2" in length / with a 5mm or so diameter bolt included.

You drill a hole in the board/insulation backing, pop the plug in and screw the bolt down (for some reason it's got a torx head instead of something simpler - I just used a well fitting plain screwdriver as I'd no torx key at the time) after threading it through the hole in the curtain rail bracket.

The plug basically mushrooms behind the board giving a large load bearing area. Pick the highest load rated ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I assume you're going to hang a curtain pole first? :)

If so, don't buy one of those units where there's a concealed mounting plate with the fixing holes only 10-15mm away from each other - grand if you're going into brick but not if you're planning on using plugs. Instead, get something with a decent sized bracket where the mounting holes are at couple of inches away from each other or so.

-

I got some new type hi-load expandable plugs in Chadwicks - they had boxes of them on the counter with varying load bearing capacities and you could buy small quantities for about a euro a pop. Can't find a picture on the web but they were plastic / about 10mm in diameter & 2" in length / with a 5mm or so diameter bolt included.

You drill a hole in the board/insulation backing, pop the plug in and screw the bolt down (for some reason it's got a torx head instead of something simpler - I just used a well fitting plain screwdriver as I'd no torx key at the time) after threading it through the hole in the curtain rail bracket.

The plug basically mushrooms behind the board giving a large load bearing area. Pick the highest load rated ones.

Did you actually use these plugs on 50mm thick insulated plasterboard though,or just normal plain plasterboard??

Reason I ask,is that I bought a similar type of plug before,that was supposed to work on insulated slab,but it was absolute shyte to use on an insulated board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If you don't want it to fall down and your sure it's not going to need to be moved, use frame fixings. Chadwicks have them fairly cheap, don't buy in woodies or b and q

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

If you don't want it to fall down and your sure it's not going to need to be moved, use frame fixings. Chadwicks have them fairly cheap, don't but in woodies or b and q

These guys,I presume?

Thanks.:)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-ff1-countersunk-frame-fixings-10-x-140-pack-of-25/67644;jsessionid=5DhsTCPCXLZkcbJgK5gQyTlzFhL1rvQ3jBqZTwK7nNhQKysJshKy!10434842

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jonathondoe

Cheers for the info
    I was recommended the bolts below today with only question as to would they expand in the insulation but the guess would be that soft enough to be able.

http://i21.ebayimg.com/05/i/001/35/16/ca30_35.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Cheers for the info
    I was recommended the bolts below today with only question as to would they expand in the insulation but the guess would be that soft enough to be able.

Those are quite good if you use the special tool for pulling them but you will only have the strenght of the slab to support your curtain. If there is block behind the insulation, I'd prefer to use 5 or 6x100 screws plugged into the block.

2 stroke wrote: »
    Cheers for the info

Those are quite good if you use the special tool for pulling them but you will only have the strenght of the slab to support your curtain. If there is block behind the insulation, I'd prefer to use 5 or 6x100 screws plugged into the block.

Yeah I can get access to the tool and have been told that they will be more than enough to take the weight otherwise yeah I could try get into the frame behind if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

They do make a fairly large hole so if you are using brackets with a round concealed mounting plate, its often better to make 2 good holes than use all 3.

2 stroke wrote: »
    They do make a fairly large hole so if you are using brackets with a round concealed mounting plate, its often better to make 2 good holes than use all 3.

I finally got around to hanging these. 3 fixing in total hung quite heavy full length curtains. Highly recommend if can get access to the tool to use bolts I showed above. Very easy to use too!

Advertisement