Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for studying these subjects for the LC this year?

• 27-09-2011 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

I'm doing 6 subjects. English, maths, french , business, geography and economics (taking it up this year).

I'm repeating I don't want to mess this year up. I'm doing them all at honours except french and maths at ordinary. English I'm taking up as honours I did ordinary last year and found it easy and got a B. I have to learn Hamlet for my single text and then the poetry and then use my texts I did for ordinary for the comparative.

Maths I really need to improve , I failed most of the tests last year and in the leaving. I'm going to get grinds soon and it's project maths this year.

French my weak point is the listening , oral and the verb questions on the paper.

Any tips for studying those subjects? I want to aim to achieve A/Bs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fhfm

Well for maths i use www.mathsireland.com . It has alot of questions on each topic done out.I also find the less stress more success maths book great.

Cant help you with the other subjects im afraid,kind of in the same boat myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

You need to have 6 higher lever subjects to maximize your points. Your best 6 subjects are counted. If you have 4 higher level and 2 ordinary level then the max points you can get is 520 (600-40-40) if you got A1s in all of them - an A1 in ordinary level is 60 points whereas an A1 in higher level is 100 points.

I did 8 subjects last year 6 higher and 2 ordinary level. My 6 higher levels were counted for points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

mockshelp wrote: »
    You need to have 6 higher lever subjects to maximize your points. Your best 6 subjects are counted. If you have 4 higher level and 2 ordinary level then the max points you can get is 520 (600-40-40) if you got A1s in all of them - an A1 in ordinary level is 60 points whereas an A1 in higher level is 100 points.

I did 8 subjects last year 6 higher and 2 ordinary level. My 6 higher levels were counted for points.

I don't need over 520 points. I only need about 340 to guarantee I get a place but I'm aiming for around 400 to be safe. I can't do honours in french or maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Whatever subjects you are doing just get the marking schemes and keep doing past paper questions (up to as far back as you can go) again and again and again (correcting them with your marking schemes!) and you'll be laughing in June

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I answered a topic like this here. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74294434#post74294434

On the French, there's no magic way to get a high grade unfortunately :( You just have to sit down and rote learn the verbs. It's boring as hell, but when you do it your French will really improve. Begin with the present tense regulars, then irregulars, then look at the regular passé composé, then irregular and finally the future. Cover the conditional too. If you are doing Ordinary then you needn't get too hung up on the subjunctive tense, but it will really make your answer stand out from the OL crowd, even if you only get one sentence of it learned off.

If you're already weak at it then French will require a serious effort. Listen to French radio; read interviews with celebrites/sports stars/ musicians you admire. When you do that, you might even hear something to help with your oral. Get started on an oral copy now, early, and get your teacher to correct it. Do not underestimate the subject just because it's Ordinary Level (but obviously try to prioritise other subjects if you're not counting for points).

I repeated too and did HL English. It was bloody hard. Read Hamlet now, on your own time and with an accompanying notes book to make sense of it. Aim to have it read before the end of November I'd say. I regretted not finishing it myself sooner than Christmas because it placed pressure on me poetry-wise. I found it difficult - keep cracking and don't give up, you'll get through it :)

My Geography advice wasn't great in that previous post. Try to write out a study plan for Geography, covering a section each night by writing notes, revising and then doing an EPQ with the book closed. This early in the year I'd perfect answers using the book and hand those up - hand up "closed book" answers later, maybe the last 3 months of the year. Don't let your project drag out, get it done and out of the way. So many students let it collide with orals or else it's all orals, then all project and other subjects get neglected. Pay particular attention to the changing nature of EPQs in 2010/2011. If you want an A/B you'll want an immaculate project and to be absolutely comfortable with your material. Don't even entertain people who say you can cut stuff out or "learn only x"! Look at the syllabus and use it as a checklist, getting comfortable with everything. Closer to the exam is the time to narrow stuff down, not now, and you have lots of time to get a great Geography grade with organisation. I had a huge folder divided into Physical, Regional, Elective and Option, with Maps>Notes>Sample Answers/EPQs in that order.

Good luck with repeating, I really hope it works out for you! It goes much quicker than you'd expect... keep the light at the end of the tunnel in mind!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 WhoSays

good luck! you'll need it I'd say! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Fhfm wrote: »
    Well for maths i use www.mathsireland.com . It has alot of questions on each topic done out.I also find the less stress more success maths book great.

Cant help you with the other subjects im afraid,kind of in the same boat myself

That website is great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 NathanOR

This may sound a bit stupid but if your into Music it will help.... For my French what I often use to help me is i go onto Youtube and look for French versions of my favourite songs... and Listen to them... It helps my aural work vocab and if i sing along (when no one is home ;) ) it helps my oral work too.... This works for me but i don't know about you!! Everyone is different!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

A fool-proof way of improving your French is to speak it to people on the internet. Join a language exchange site and make a friend. I actually cannot stress how much it helped me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Magali S.

If you are interested, I am in Cork and give French Grinds.

I am a French Native speaker and as a foreigner I surely know what you are going through when learning an other language. I could help you for the leaving Cert. I did it before with other students, especially for the oral and the witting. My contact details : 0833617505. Magali

• Advertisement
Advertisement