Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something to do in Athlone...

• 27-09-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭

I moved to Athlone a week ago, and am looking for a few activities to do in the evenings after work? Any suggestions?

Something like 5 a side, snooker club, basketball, bowling, anything really! The boredom is getting to me! :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

How about Karate*?

i-kBPCpRW-XL.jpg

*Hot Yoga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

http://www.athlone.ie/business-directory

and

http://www.athlone.ie/community-directory

should have all your answers.
    Lots to do if you can get in with a group of same interests. Drinking seems to be the main pastime for most :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Swimming pool/gym?

Could always get in touch with some of the local sides (Monksland United) on FB and ask to train/play with them?

Thursday nights in Castle Inn in town for Open Mic/Guitar sessions. A mix of the good, the bad and the irrelevant there and nice pints too. Plus if its sh1te, you have Seans next door.

Look out for the tag rugby in the summertime. Terribly gay sport IMO but very popular among the normies.

Theres a few bits for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 7 knoonan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Buccaneers thirds team train, and have great craic. Also a lot of new players there. You should check it out. And good group for brews too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭shannie

joe2687 wrote: »
    I moved to Athlone a week ago, and am looking for a few activities to do in the evenings after work? Any suggestions?

Something like 5 a side, snooker club, basketball, bowling, anything really! The boredom is getting to me! :p

there's the bowling alley, the swimming pool/gym, the shopping centres, and the cinema... after you've done ''everything'' in athlone more than once, you will soon realise athlone's is infact a kip :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

shannie wrote: »
    there's the bowling alley, the swimming pool/gym, the shopping centres, and the cinema... after you've done ''everything'' in athlone more than once, you will soon realise athlone's is infact a kip :D

Said like a true Athlonian. Don't realise what they have on their own doorstep!

tubos wrote: »
    Said like a true Athlonian. Don't realise what they have on their own doorstep!

+1. Fantastic town for its size. I invite the poster who mentioned the word kip to find a similar size town anywhere nearby with so much to offer.

+1. Fantastic town for its size. I invite the poster who mentioned the word kip to find a similar size town anywhere nearby with so much to offer.

Im not looking for a different town with the same to offer, because Athlone has nothing to offer in the first place -_-:eek:

Like most Athlone knockers, you seem to be unable to read. Find a similar size town with MORE to offer.

go on, name one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Athlone has:

- 2 snooker halls
    - A modern cinema
    - Bowling Alley
    - 3 nightclubs and multiple late night bars
    - 2 decent theatres
    - 2 good shopping centres
    - Multiple astro turf pitches
    - Tennis courts
    - Basketball courts
    - Home to Midlands Photography club
    - Farmers Market
    - Boat trips
    - Fishing
    - Rugby Club
    - Football club

All of which are well within walking distance of one another. I dare anyone to find another town with all these things withing walking distance of each other. Athlone is a fantastic town imo

you mean one decent shopping centre and one decent theatre... the other one is the equivalent to the size of my sitting room :S
    okay do me a favour , come and live in athlone for 3 months and tell me when you get bored.. id be expecting to hear from you within ... hmm... a week :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've lived here for almost 5 years.

and what do you do here so ? enlighten me :)

Was in college, I work in retail now. I've lived in a good few different towns over the years and Athlone is by far the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Was in college, I work in retail now. I've lived in a good few different towns over the years and Athlone is by far the best.

It's easier to make a judgement when you have lived in other towns and of course a persons view of a town depends entirely on their interests.

darokane wrote: »
    It's easier to make a judgement when you have lived in other towns and of course a persons view of a town depends entirely on their interests.

exactly and when you in your teens and you've lived in athlone for your whole life its really really boring... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Crystalset

exactly and when you in your teens and you've lived in athlone for your whole life its really really boring... :o

The railway, the M6, the Shannon all leaving the town. So on your bike, Shannie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Crystalset wrote: »
    The railway, the M6, the Shannon all leaving the town. So on your bike, Shannie.

There's no need to berate someone just because he's young, That message could imply that you want him to top himself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I grew up in Athlone and it was the done thing to call it 'a kip'. Athlone is central, benefits from excellent transport links, has a good nightlife and top class shopping facilities. It dwarves any other town for 50 miles in any direction with regard to commerce, facilities and education; its not called a regional centre for no reason.

Shannie, when you grow up and leave, only then will you appreciate what you had in the first place.

• Advertisement

deccurley wrote: »
    I grew up in Athlone and it was the done thing to call it 'a kip'. Athlone is central, benefits from excellent transport links, has a good nightlife and top class shopping facilities. It dwarves any other town for 50 miles in any direction with regard to commerce, facilities and education; its not called a regional centre for no reason.

Shannie, when you grow up and leave, only then will you appreciate what you had in the first place.

I probably will, but as for now.... its a kip ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

great spot for a bit of doggin,

dibs101 wrote: »
    great spot for a bit of doggin,

random ^ :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Alright shannie, lets hear your suggestions as to what Athlone needs more of to stop being a kip?

it needs more things to do for teenagers.

it needs more things to do for teenagers.

Such as????? Don't be expecting someone else to think up something. Tell us what you'd like. A Skateboard park?, a free to graffiti wall? A rock climbing club? Help us out here. If we all just look at our town planners and say 'You think of something' then we'll get no where.
    You can use things you've heard of in other towns as examples

flazio wrote: »
    Such as????? Don't be expecting someone else to think up something. Tell us what you'd like. A Skateboard park?, a free to graffiti wall? A rock climbing club? Help us out here. If we all just look at our town planners and say 'You think of something' then we'll get no where.
    You can use things you've heard of in other towns as examples

I'm not asking for anything spectacular, just somewhere that teen's can go like... I can't think of the exact word :confused:
    Erm like .. an area just for teen's if that makes sense.

Youth club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

If you ask teenagers in every town is there anything to do they will tell you 'no'. I was the same myself, the town where I lived had absolutely nothing to do (even though it probably did)

• Advertisement

I'm not asking for anything spectacular, just somewhere that teen's can go like... I can't think of the exact word :confused:
    Erm like .. an area just for teen's if that makes sense.

They have those. They call them secondary schools

Advertisement