Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something to do in Athlone...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭shannie

yeah a good one in saying that :S

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

the athlone sub aqua club will be doing a 'try a dive' in november for anyone interested in joining.

They have those. They call them secondary schools

somewhere for just teens i think i said... secondry schools include teachers if i recall properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Grocery_bag

we need another player for 5 a side, 8.30pm outside the bowling alley on mondays

• Registered Users Posts: 4 yupyaboyya

eh what nights is the rugby?and wheres the pitch?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The river Shannon - the longest river in Ireland and Great Britain, flows right through the very heart of Athlone. This suggests that there's lots to do with boating, sailing, water activities etc.

Athlone is well endowed with opportunities for things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

yupyaboyya wrote: »
    eh what nights is the rugby?and wheres the pitch?

Rugby club is just off the ballymahon road. There is 3 mens teams (1st - AIL, 2nds - J1 & 3rds - Social and beginner level) teams and a ladies team so something for everyone.

What night you train depends on what level you want to play at?

If you pm on your details and what level you want to play at I can get someone to ring you.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The river Shannon - the longest river in Ireland and Great Britain, flows right through the very heart of Athlone. This suggests that there's lots to do with boating, sailing, water activities etc.

Athlone is well endowed with opportunities for things to do.

Rivers aren't useful if you don't like water.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Shannie you are obviously a person who has never been out of this town.

And your attitude to it is typical of same.
    Its only when you go away for a while that you realize what a great place it is to live and bring up a family.

So my advice Shannie.....go away for a while, it will do you a power of good,

and you will return a different person....hopefully.

martin1 wrote: »
    Shannie you are obviously a person who has never been out of this town.

And your attitude to it is typical of same.
    Its only when you go away for a while that you realize what a great place it is to live and bring up a family.

So my advice Shannie.....go away for a while, it will do you a power of good,

and you will return a different person....hopefully.

I have been out of the town, and im not trying to be smart by saying its bad town but like i find every other place i go to better than athlone. you have to understand my point of view that when ur living here for so many years of course your going to get bored of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 cloudz

How are the primary and secondary schools in Athlone compared to other places such as Dublin? How's the education system for kids in Athlone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

shannie wrote: »
    I have been out of the town, and im not trying to be smart by saying its bad town but like i find every other place i go to better than athlone. you have to understand my point of view that when ur living here for so many years of course your going to get bored of it.

Please name these places and provide examples of what exactly is better. I assume they are similar size ish, we're not competing with Vegas here.

Please name these places and provide examples of what exactly is better. I assume they are similar size ish, we're not competing with Vegas here.

Everywhere, and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

shannie wrote: »
    Everywhere, and everything.

Well nobody can say that you didnt provide specific places or examples.

Do me a favour and whinge to your parents about how terrible the town is and ask them why they chose to live here. While your at it, learn how to make a point properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Even better Shannie
    Learn how to be a condescending c*** and you'll fit in perfectly well here

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cloudz

From my point, being a good place to live must have a good educational system. So how about primary and secondary schools for kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

cloudz wrote: »
    How are the primary and secondary schools in Athlone compared to other places such as Dublin? How's the education system for kids in Athlone?

There's no split between regular schools and fee-paying private schools, which is a plus. Primary schools are much of a muchness, I'd say, regular National schools for the most part with one Gaelscoil and one Mixed National School.

At secondary level, the Bower and Summerhill are two girl's schools (one each side of the river), and the Marist and St. Aloysius are two boys schools.

There's also the Tech Community College, for boys and their sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

bower girls were always the forbidden fruit when I was young....

.... oh bower girls! /swoon

Advertisement