Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭hibble

The brown "low loss" cable shouldn't be enough, on its own, to cause complete failure, unless the signal level & quality is very poor to begin with.

More than likely poorly made connections at the aerial or receiver would be to blame than the actual cable.

Beg to disagree..

When I set up Saorview for the first time it worked in the sitting room, daughters room not kitchen. Cause was the cable in the kitchen replaced with new cable leftover from when I'd installed the dish all worked okay. And yes Ihad check the connections on the original cable before it was replaced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Skull Murphy

hibble wrote: »
    When I set up Saorview for the first time it worked in the sitting room, daughters room not kitchen. Cause was the cable in the kitchen replaced with new cable leftover from when I'd installed the dish all worked okay. And yes Ihad check the connections on the original cable before it was replaced.

All that proves is that the length of cable you removed didn't work with the output from your distribution system for whatever reason. Could have been because the cable was complete rubbish to begin with or maybe it was damaged in some way.

If it worked anyway well with UHF analogue it should work with digital (although interference ingress will be more of a pain) unless there are some odd frequency selective effects present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭hibble

It was 3 year old coax that you could have ate your dinner off....

Doesn't matter now I'm sorted so i'll leave everyone to thier second rate boxes and imaginary installers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

and now can we get back to the 120, its the thread title after all :)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Hi there fellow HD 120 users, to save me trawling back through this entire thread can somebody please give me a contact where I can buy yet another one of these great boxes here in Ireland (my previous ones came from Poland last year), but I gather that the local price has now come down to match the Polish price.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

LordSutch wrote: »
    Hi there fellow HD 120 users, to save me trawling back through this entire thread can somebody please give me a contact where I can buy yet another one of these great boxes here in Ireland (my previous ones came from Poland last year), but I gather that the local price has now come down to match the Polish price.

Thanks in advance.

They have been discontinued. Newer models available from satellite.ie amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

HI I got one of these box's the ariva 120 yesterday. I don't have a satellite just an ariel. The question I have is can I get the bbc's utv channel 4 with it. I am only getting the Irish channels so far and maybe there is something I have to do to get the other channels or do I just have to get satellite.

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

You'll only get UK Freeview (digital terrestrial) channels if you're within range of a UK transmitter.

What part of the country are you in & do you already have analogue UK reception? (Or why would you buy a combo if you don't need or particularly want satellite?)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Hi

Im having a couple of problems with my Ariva.

1. My Saorview channels freeze picture and sound approx once a minute. Sometimes a message pops up saying "No Signal" as it freezes. It freezes for around 1-2 seconds and then fixes itself, until the next freeze.

2. My UK freeview channels disappear completely. I could be watching BBC and if I scroll to RTE, BBC and the other UK freeview channels will all disappear. If I restart the box these channels return. This does not happen very regularly. When this happens the Saorview channels are unaffected.

Any ideas how to fix? I haven't changed firmware, etc since I got the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

You'll only get UK Freeview (digital terrestrial) channels if you're within range of a UK transmitter.

What part of the country are you in & do you already have analog UK reception? (Or why would you buy a combo if you don't need or particularly want satellite?)

I'm mid Roscommon.. Bought combo as wasn't much dearer than standard box plus if I get dish later on should have more channels. have bbc already but don't have it when going through new box.. should I be able to get it.. am i doing something wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

If you're receiving the UK channels from a transmitter in the north (Brougher Mountain most likely) & not some local 'deflector', you stand a chance of getting at least some of the Freeview channels after switchover, when the power will be increased.

NI switchover starts on October 10th.

Could be an antenna or cabling problem, try a terrestral manual scan and see what quality and signal readings you are getting.

Omeceron wrote: »
    Hi

1. My Saorview channels freeze picture and sound approx once a minute. Sometimes a message pops up saying "No Signal" as it freezes. It freezes for around 1-2 seconds and then fixes itself, until the next freeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

2. My UK freeview channels disappear completely. I could be watching BBC and if I scroll to RTE, BBC and the other UK freeview channels will all disappear. If I restart the box these channels return. This does not happen very regularly. When this happens the Saorview channels are unaffected.

Both problems seem to be nothing to do with the box but with your aerial setup. A professionally installed aerial pointed in the right direction and matched to your local needs would be best.

If you have a 120 then you should be getting most of the UK channels via the dish. The freeview channels via the aerial will increase in power come November but depending on where you live they may or may not be reliable.

I would recommend get a good installer who can install two aerials, one for Saorview and another for Freeview and combine and boost them as needed depending on where you live. A DIY install for combined Freeview and Saorview is difficult but this page may explain better:
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/how-to-combine-saorview-and-freeview-on-the-same-digital-receiver.html

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

gerryirl wrote: »
    HI I got one of these box's the ariva 120 yesterday. I don't have a satellite just an ariel. The question I have is can I get the bbc's utv channel 4 with it. I am only getting the Irish channels so far and maybe there is something I have to do to get the other channels or do I just have to get satellite.

Thanks in advance

Simple answer is that you'll need to get a satellite dish installed , and then connect that dish to your combo box, to receive BBC etc

Tony wrote: »
    Could be an antenna or cabling problem, try a terrestral manual scan and see what quality and signal readings you are getting.

Signal Intensity is 77% and Quality is 90%.

I have the 120 about 9 months but this issue only started 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Are you receiving the "UK freeview" channels referred to via satellite?

If so, the problem there is unrelated to the Saorview "no signal" issue & is probably software related.

The Saorview problem is most likely, as mentioned already, due to a poor aerial setup. Don't put too much faith in receiver signal readings.

Signal Intensity is 77% and Quality is 90%.

I have the 120 about 9 months but this issue only started 2 weeks ago.

Going by those readings, you should be fine.Personally, I'd upgrade the FW. You mentioned that it has never been updated. Give it a go. Probably just a "glitch":)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Hi

Any ideas how to fix? I haven't changed firmware, etc since I got the box.

This is not related to the Ariva box at all. It is to do with your aerial setup. You say that you are receiving both Freeview and Saorview Channels so you must be in a border area/east coast.

This scenario is typical of a high gain amplified aerial pointing to a Freeview transmitter with the Saorview signal probably coming in the back of the aerial. It may need tweaking and is a fine balance. Either way maximising the setup tomorrow doesn't mean that you will not be subject to all kinds of gremlins during atmospheric conditions.

Also bear in mind that whilst you may get a perfect signal of one mux, it is not telling you the whole story, especially using the one setup to try and balance the pulling in of distant signals and containing those very near. Bear in mind that the Ariva BER readings are not accurate.

wp354b9ded.jpg

STB wrote: »
    You say that you are receiving both Freeview and Saorview Channels so you must be in a border area/east coast.

It isn't wise to assume that people know that Freeview is the UK terrestrial service.

It isn't wise to assume that people know that Freeview is the UK terrestrial service.

That's the way i read it, scrolling part caught my attention so I am not second guessing that the OP doesnt know what he is talking about. There are quite a few old aerial setups optimised for UK analogue that cause these type problems when trying to do the something similar over DVB-T as you well know. It sounds like one of these.

Group/Wideband aerials are the next questions of course and depending on the current users setup and future changes in power this is not a good time to be setting up aerials (to do both) as the installer most likely will have to return in October when either the frequencies change or power is increased. Mt Leinster and NI scenarios.

Something that a local installer should know (but the OP should be aware of too).

• Advertisement

Im based in the Midlands. Im getting Saorview from Mt Leinster and Freeview via my old sky dish.

The problem with the Saorview is intermittent. It was very bad this morning and all during the day, but its fine now.

The issue with the Freeview channels disappearing is not major, I can restart the box and they come back.

The Saorview problem makes those channels unwatchable. Ill update the FM tomorrow and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help.

It certainly isn't :)
    Im based in the Midlands. Im getting Saorview from Mt Leinster and Freeview via my old sky dish.

The problem with the Saorview is intermittent. It was very bad this morning and all during the day, but its fine now.

The issue with the Freeview channels disappearing is not major, I can restart the box and they come back.

The Saorview problem makes those channels unwatchable. Ill update the FM tomorrow and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help.

Freeview = terrestrial off an aerial. Freesat or FTA Satellite = Satellite

Your problem with Saorview relates to your aerial positioning/cabelling/type.

Im getting Saorview from Mt Leinster and Freeview via my old sky dish.

Freeview is a terrestrial service not satellite, what you are receiving via the dish are freesat channels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

im having problems getting dvb-s2 channels to tune in . previously the olympic streams on astra 28 and now dvb-s2 hd channels on hotbird 13.

what can i do it is worth reloading firmware?

also what is the best lnb setting to use when using hotbird ? universal upto 10.600 or 10.750 or which?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Leave the lnb settings on 'universal' (9750 & 10600 LO).

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Leave the lnb settings on 'universal' (9750 & 10600 LO).

thanks may reset and research .:) probably still may not get dvb-s2 hd stations :mad:

Updating the firmware is not the answer, something else is causing this.

Nowso wrote: »
    im having problems getting dvb-s2 channels to tune in . previously the olympic streams on astra 28 and now dvb-s2 hd channels on hotbird 13.

what can i do it is worth reloading firmware?

Tony wrote: »
    Updating the firmware is not the answer, something else is causing this.

what could it it be is there any settings that would effect this.

i will try using a different box to check signal is there but since the olympics channels worked on another box of same satellite

what could it it be is there any settings that would effect this.

Have you changed any settings?

It might be that the signal is a bit weak and the receiver needs a better signal to decode the S2 signal. Try the receiver at another house to see if it is a weak signal issue. Sensitivity of receivers can vary.

• Advertisement

i may have to adjust the satellite. The super tennis hd is fine .

Iv reset also

i may have to adjust the satellite. The super tennis hd is fine .

Iv reset also

Upgrade the firmware. It must be very old firmware are not common.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭paddydu

Hi can i play a dvd from my laptop through the 120 box so i can watch it on tv? Im worried to mess about in case i upset something with my 120 box cause it has been working problem free for the last 5 months and i love it!! Thanx

better off conecting your laptop to ur tv especially if u have a hdmi slot on your laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

Guys

Anyone managed to get the PLTV working on 10east?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Can you enter BISS keys on this receiver?
    I have it working fine for a friend on a TM5402

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

excollier wrote: »
    Can you enter BISS keys on this receiver?
    I have it working fine for a friend on a TM5402

that part I have not figured out. I now you can load them via usb key but thats not worked.

ok found the edit option in the menu but still not working

and working :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭iba

Hi

Easy question - which way does the CI card go in - chip facing up or chip facing down please?

Thanks

Iba

down i had it the wrong way earlier

• Advertisement

iba wrote: »
    which way does the CI card go in - chip facing up or chip facing down please?

Down

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Oggie

Hi Lads,

I have the Ariva 120 Combo now for the last few months and have lately begun to have some annoying problems with it.
    When watching Sat channels I sometimes get a "no signal" error.
    I know it is not a problem with the dish as I have the old combo box working in another room for it and its perfect.
    It only happens every so often really.

Pretty annoying when your trying to watch something good!!
    When it happens I turn off the box for a few hours and it seems to work fine later on.
    Also when I record something it doesn't use the correct program name anymore.
    It could even use the name of another program on another station at the same time.

Any ideas of what the issue could be?

Getting pretty fed up now with it!!

Oggie wrote: »
    I know it is not a problem with the dish as I have the old combo box working in another room for it and its perfect.

The dish may be aligned ok but the LNB output or cable may have a problem. Try swopping the boxes around if possible to narrow down where the issue is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Around 2 weeks ago I was getting frequently blocky pictures on rte hd on saorview now all saorview channels are gone. "no signal" Aerial adjustment page says signal quality 10%. Is it most likely my aerial is out of alignment? Or perhaps something is blown like the booster?

Who does repairs in North Co Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A friend of mine is having problems with his Ariva 120 that keeps freezing now and then, and needs a power off/on cycle to get it working again. He's not very technical but I've managed to discover he's running V2.15B5 on it. Would upgrading to the latest version on Ferguson's website (V2.18B4) solve this problem, or is there possibly a hardware issue here?

Alun wrote: »
    A friend of mine is having problems with his Ariva 120 that keeps freezing now and then, and needs a power off/on cycle to get it working again. He's not very technical but I've managed to discover he's running V2.15B5 on it. Would upgrading to the latest version on Ferguson's website (V2.18B4) solve this problem, or is there possibly a hardware issue here?
    Advice in this order:

Check ALL connections
    Swap out HDMI/SCART to eliminate potential cable fault
    Swap out box with another FTA unit ( if possible ) to eliminate potential ariva unit fault
    Update to latest FW

• Advertisement

Would upgrading to the latest version on Ferguson's website (V2.18B4) solve this problem, or is there possibly a hardware issue here?

Upgrading the firmware would be the first step to narrow down the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

dodzy wrote: »
    Advice in this order:

Check ALL connections
    Swap out HDMI/SCART to eliminate potential cable fault
    Swap out box with another FTA unit ( if possible ) to eliminate potential ariva unit fault
    Update to latest FW

LOL

Bin it,

Just looking at my previous post. I must have been pissed. Anyway, as Tony has suggested, FW upgrade would be the first thing to do.
    LOL Bin it,
    A typical true to form response from an "approved combo box / freesat touting ariva hater" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

OK, I'll upgrade to the latest version and report back.

Praetorian wrote: »
    Around 2 weeks ago I was getting frequently blocky pictures on rte hd on saorview now all saorview channels are gone. "no signal" Aerial adjustment page says signal quality 10%. Is it most likely my aerial is out of alignment? Or perhaps something is blown like the booster? Who does repairs in North Co Dublin?

RTE Changed the Frequency of the transmissions on 3 Rock which would effect large parts of Dublin. You may still be getting a signal but now from Kippure. If you try re-scanning again the terrestrial channels or manually scanning channel 30 will probably fix it.

If it does not it may be that your setup is not suited to channel 30 and a different aerial may be needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement