Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

zg3409 wrote: »
    RTE Changed the Frequency of the transmissions on 3 Rock which would effect large parts of Dublin. You may still be getting a signal but now from Kippure. If you try re-scanning again the terrestrial channels or manually scanning channel 30 will probably fix it.

If it does not it may be that your setup is not suited to channel 30 and a different aerial may be needed.

I was begining to think that I am the only one who was seeing these repeats issues on this board.

This is the problem. And zg3049 has given the answer.
    LOL

Bin it,

Get a grip. I think even the galloping horses get your mantra about how easier it is for you not having to call backs by installing a freesat box and a saorview box.

Pretty sad that an installers response was to bin it. It would cost a call out charge normally to get that type quality advice.

The issue here is RTE's move to Ch 30. But you would have spotted that if you were as sharp as your sniping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Automatic scan is picking up nothing for me. Uhf channel 30 (546000Hz) is also picking up nothing for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

STB wrote: »
    I was begining to think that I am the only one who was seeing these repeats issues on this board.

This is the problem. And zg3049 has given the answer.

Get a grip. I think even the galloping horses get your mantra about how easier it is for you not having to call backs by installing a freesat box and a saorview box.

Pretty sad that an installers response was to bin it. It would cost a call out charge normally to get that type quality advice.

The issue here is RTE's move to Ch 30. But you would have spotted that if you were as sharp as your sniping.

Easier for me?
    My main concern is giving the customer an reliable , uninterrupted service, without the need for them to call me back to retune their receivers,

As stated above the issue is not RTE move to channel 30,
    Not all problems can resolved from the comfort of an armchair.

Easier for me?
    My main concern is giving the customer an reliable , uninterrupted service, without the need for them to call me back to retune their receivers,

As stated above the issue is not RTE move to channel 30,
    Not all problems can resolved from the comfort of an armchair.

Yes easier for you. Most people can use a manual you know.

ALL Saorview receivers regardless of whether they are approved or not require retuning in the event of a frequency change.

But I have told you this before.

You seem to have some superiority complex which you need to get over. As someone who has worked in broadcasting for 20+ years you can spot the spoofers a mile off. You will get called on it on this forum. Your agenda knocking hardware is transparent at this stage.

This is not an installers forum. You have one now so I suggest you go there where you may get more respect. You can bitch about the fly by nights etc.. Its getting very boring.

*sits back in armchair*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

Praetorian wrote: »
    Automatic scan is picking up nothing for me. Uhf channel 30 (546000Hz) is also picking up nothing for me.

Can you attach the aerial cable directly to your TV and receive decent analogue pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Getting an error message up, Limit:CAN not record!Perplexed as my storage info indicates that I have 308 GB Rec Size?Anybody can advise?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

Lost terrestial channels in Ballincollig in Cork. Rescan of channel 30 gives nothing.

Tried this and thought it might be channel 57 I was on here but it gave similar results:
    http://www.geocities.ws/corkradio/tvch.html

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Not sure if this is relevant to you

"RTÉNL will be carrying out maintenance on the transmitter at Castletownbere today, tomorrow and Thursday between 9.30am and 5pm. This will cause short interruptions to the SAORVIEW service in the area and also from the mast at Kilkeaveragh which receives from Castletownbere."

Lost terrestial channels in Ballincollig in Cork. Rescan of channel 30 gives nothing.

Tried this and thought it might be channel 57 I was on here but it gave similar results:
    http://www.geocities.ws/corkradio/tvch.html

Any ideas?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

According to the Saorview coverage map, Ballincollig is served by the Spur Hill transmitter, Saorview on UHF channel 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

Thanks for the help got it on a manual rescan on channel 45. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

Hi all,
    I have 3 Ariva 120 and am pretty happy with them.
    I need to get a couple for my ma & Da.
    Was wondering if people would recommend sticking with Ariva 150/250 or getting different combo box.
    I want to make sure the box is easy to use and reliable.
    Satworld recommend the Amiko combo as say it is more reliable than ariva.
    Would love some opinions from boards members.
    thanks
    pajoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I have an Amiko box and its been great so far, have it a few months now. Although the new arivas seem decent enough, maybe better than the 120s.

Please don't take this the wrong way but this subject really should have its own thread. As this is a 120 users thread if we start discussing other boxes the thread will quickly become useless.

Hi all,
    I need to get a couple for my ma & Da.
    Was wondering if people would recommend sticking with Ariva 150/250 or getting different combo box.
    I want to make sure the box is easy to use and reliable.
    Satworld recommend the Amiko combo as say it is more reliable than ariva.
    Would love some opinions from boards members.
    thanks
    pajoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Hi all,
    I need to get a couple for my ma & Da...

Get the 120's successor, either the 150 or the 250. Both perform perfectly. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Derrywan

hi, does anyone have a link to the latest firmware and channel list. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Derrywan wrote: »
    hi, does anyone have a link to the latest firmware and channel list. Thanks

+1

Also looking for the latest firmware along with channel list if anyone has a link to. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

my ariva 120 is slow to startup. is this normal or is there firmware to fix this, also gets laggy when in radio stations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hey all, my Ariva 120 has gone wonky. It's now only sometimes showing a picture on tv, my tv is otherwise showing that there's no input being received. I have a PS3 hooked up to same TV, so I swapped cables and ports, and it's not the cable or the HDMI port on the TV that's causing the issue.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Hi
    Was just scanning in a Saorview box earlier and it pulled in a number of UK channels too , mostly crappy ones like on FTA sat but a few I'd probably use like yesterday and 4music. Thing is in the other room with a 120 only some are coming in mostly BBCs. Any tips on how to get these stations in ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 briwal

Hello All,

I have a WD external hard drive [WD Elements Desktop 1 TB External Hard Drive, black USB 2.0, 7200 rpm ] which regularly freezes the Ariva 120.

It has its own power supply and while it is greater than the 750MB recommended on the Ariva manual it was one of the hard drives that was mentioned on this thread as being suitable. At 7200rpm I reckoned it should definitely be fast enough.

Its formatted as a single partition NTFS. When it is plugged in to the Ariva I get frequent messages “Device speed to slow to record”, especially on HD channels, followed by a complete freeze of the box requiring a reboot using the switch at the back of the Ariva.

I'm running firmware V2.17B although I don't think this is particularly relevant as it froze regularly on an older firmware version too.

Does anybody have a similar issue?

I've searched other forums to see if people have had a problem with the WD hard drives and rooted up this:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/External-Drives-for-PC/Slow-Transfer-Speed/td-p/9007/page/4

Any recommendations for fixing this?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would suggest you resize the partition to less than the recommended max (say 700GBs) and see if it makes any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

This list was fantastic, I was just wondering if anyone has an updated version of it as some of the channels are no longer working with extra hd ones etc?

Thanks,

Kevin
    Tony wrote: »
    Especially for you :)

Firmware and channel list http://www.mediafire.com/?32lec9qk2qg7nk6

How to guide http://www.mediafire.com/view/?shdqzt64399eaxw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm not able to pick up any of the Freeview channels such as Dave etc

Any tips? My next door neighbor is able to so I'm not sure what the problem is. I've a new aerial and the whole lot.. only installed a few months ago when I had the dish and box set up.

If you have a dish, the aerial would most likely have been installed with only the Saorview channels in mind. What part of the country are you in & which UHF channel does Saorview appear on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    If you have a dish, the aerial would most likely have been installed with only the Saorview channels in mind. What part of the country are you in & which UHF channel does Saorview appear on?

I'm in mid-Louth. Saorview is coming through on CH 52

I suspect you're right about the aerial anyway. My neighbors is an old one and the one I have is connected to the dish itself.. not on the roof.

• Advertisement

Some areas of Louth, to the south & towards the coast, can get Clermont Carn & Kilkeel (for Freeview) on 1 aerial. Other areas would typically need a separate high-gain aerial pointed at Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Would using a 2.5" hard drive, usb powered, BUT from a mains powered usb hub work with this. I reckon it should.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Would using a 2.5" hard drive, usb powered, BUT from a mains powered usb hub work with this. I reckon it should.

It will work without the hub but dont use that as a rule of thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ronanb78

I have a Ferguson Arivia 120 HD Combo.
    From reading the other posts, it looks as though it doesnt play .avi files (video codec not supported) as well as .mkv files, which is very disappointing. It is however playing my mp4 video files but some of those have the subtitles on as default and I cannot turn them off. Tried the yellow subtitle button on the remote, nothing. Tried the subtitle settings in system setup, OSD, and its already configured as off.

Anyone know how can i turn off the subtitles?

ronanb78 wrote: »
    I have a Ferguson Arivia 120 HD Combo.
    From reading the other posts, it looks as though it doesnt play .avi files (video codec not supported) as well as .mkv files, which is very disappointing. It is however playing my mp4 video files but some of those have the subtitles on as default and I cannot turn them off. Tried the yellow subtitle button on the remote, nothing. Tried the subtitle settings in system setup, OSD, and its already configured as off.

Anyone know how can i turn off the subtitles?

I don't know about sub-titles ......... but it definitely handles .avi files.

It is of course dependent on what codec was used for the video enclosed in the .avi.
    The manual has a list of supported codecs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ronanb78

ah yes, it supports avi, it just that all the avi files that i have seem to have the wrong codec... Just my luck i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

How do I get the 'Weather feature' working?

Is it a matter if just of plugging the Ariva into the telephone socket or what?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

or have the wifi dongle for the box

LordSutch wrote: »
    How do I get the 'Weather feature' working?

Is it a matter if just of plugging the Ariva into the telephone socket or what?

It does not plug into a telephone socket (RJ11) but can be plugged into an ethernet socket (RJ45) as found on routers.

Nowso wrote: »
    or have the wifi dongle for the box

Having never used a 'Dongle' before, I am amazed to learn from O2 that they cost €30, and then there's a sim card + the monthly sub for the dongle! And that's on top; of my existing O2 Bill :confused:

Not worth all that palava just to receive the weather forecast on the Ariva 120.

The O2 dongle is a mobile internet dongle (connects to O2 mobile network, like your phone): you're looking for a wifi dongle (connect to your own router).

Having never used a 'Dongle' before, I am amazed to learn from O2 that they cost €30, and then there's a sim card + the monthly sub for the dongle! And that's on top; of my existing O2 Bill :confused:

Not worth all that palava just to receive the weather forecast on the Ariva 120.

Those wifi dongles are for the Ariva 150/250's not the 120's. As Peter Rhea (nice anagram) has said not to be confused with a 02 dongle.

The weather forecast on the 120's. You need the lastest firmware to get this working at all. This is because the website that hosts the data keeps moving stuff around and the hardcoded URl on the ariva needs to be changed regularly.

STB wrote: »
    Those wifi dongles are for the Ariva 150/250's not the 120's. As Peter Rhea (nice anagram) has said not to be confused with a 02 dongle.

The weather forecast on the 120's. You need the lastest firmware to get this working at all. This is because the website that hosts the data keeps moving stuff around and the hardcoded URl on the ariva needs to be changed regularly.

Many thanks for that, the feature is there so I just I'd have a go at getting it working. Looks like the Wi Fi option is too much hassle for the Ariva 120, but what if I connect the Ariva to my O2 router via the cable option? might that work on Firmware V2.15B5, or would I still have to load the latest firmware?

Many thanks for that, the feature is there so I just I'd have a go at getting it working. Looks like the Wi Fi option is too much hassle for the Ariva 120, but what if I connect the Ariva to my O2 router via the cable option? might that work on Firmware V2.15B5, or would I still have to load the latest firmware?

The Wifi option isnt available to these as far as I know (120 range is M3602 chip). Only the 150/250 range (M3606 chip).

Upgrade to latest firmware A120Combo_2.18B6.zip.

Extract the ABS file to a USB stick. Then insert in box, do a Upgrade by USB, Allcode and bootloader option, then click to start. Let it finish. Reboot box. You will have to rescan for channels as the base firmware does not contain channel lists.

Connect a Cat5 cable from your router to your box. Go to box menu turn DHCP on and press the back key. Now your weather app should work. You can change your location by pressing the red key and entering it with the remote.

A lot of hassle, but if you like messing with things.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭saorviewseeker

Latest firmware just out.......http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/download/HD-Satellite-Receivers/ariva-120-combo/

• Advertisement

May I ask what feature it brings to life on the Ariva 120?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭iba

May I ask what feature it brings to life on the Ariva 120?

The Internet

So you are using a WiFi dongle on the Ariva 120 and getting the internet radio stations! Surely this contradicts what STB says in #890, but if you really are, then I will buy a dongle myself and have a go (with the latest Ariva 120 firmware that is)..

Thanks.

So you are using a WiFi dongle on the Ariva 120 and getting the internet radio stations! Surely this contradicts what STB says in #890, but if you really are, then I will buy a dongle myself and have a go (with the latest Ariva 120 firmware that is)..

Thanks.

The wifi dongle works on the 150 and 250 only

What extra functionality does it bring? ...... or is it just bug-fixes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I have mine hooked up to an ethernet cable straight from my router, can I update the firmware from the cable.
    Many thanks in advance.

You can but many people have encountered problems using this method so I'd advise using USB key method
    Hootanany wrote: »
    I have mine hooked up to an ethernet cable straight from my router, can I update the firmware from the cable.
    Many thanks in advance.

iba wrote: »
    The wifi dongle works on the 150 and 250 only

Exactly, so how come iba has a dongle working on the 120?

By the way, what is the Network DDNS Setting in the tools menu used for, and does it work?

Exactly, so how come iba has a dongle working on the 120?

By the way, what is the Network DDNS Setting in the tools menu used for, and does it work?

I dont

• Advertisement

So what is the Network DDNS Setting in the tools menu used for, and what exactly is it?

Advertisement