Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I just had one of these boxes installed today.. I don't seem to have BBC2 NI, 3 or 4 however. Any tips on how to add them to the channel list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I just had one of these boxes installed today.. I don't seem to have BBC2 NI, 3 or 4 however. Any tips on how to add them to the channel list?

BBC 3 and 4 do not start till 7pm. A transponder scan using the tuning guide sticky thread will get you BBC NI.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Tony wrote: »
    BBC 3 and 4 do not start till 7pm. A transponder scan using the tuning guide sticky thread will get you BBC NI.

Thanks Tony. Should BBC 3 & 4 not show up on the channel list until programming has started?

Thanks Tony. Should BBC 3 & 4 not show up on the channel list until programming has started?

If the channel list that was installed has them then yes, depends on what list your installer used.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

I have a setanta feed that is still live for some reason from NTL years ago. I plugged it into the antenna in slot on the back of the ARIVA but cant seem to tune it in?

Any ideas?

Many thanks and best wishes for the holidays,

;):);)

NTL is cable tv the ariva is not a cable box.

Thanks Tony, so feed direct to TV? Its a UK Panasonic so it wont pick up the signal. :( Guess its no good to me then....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

SAINTRON wrote: »
    I have a setanta feed that is still live for some reason from NTL years ago. I plugged it into the antenna in slot on the back of the ARIVA but cant seem to tune it in?

Any ideas?

Many thanks and best wishes for the holidays,

;):);)
    How do you know the feed is still "live"? Have you tested it on another set?

Thanks Tony, so feed direct to TV? Its a UK Panasonic so it wont pick up the signal. :( Guess its no good to me then....
    If you have a feed from UPC throught the cable, the TV will be fine. It just needs to be tuned. (with the cable plugged directly into the antenna connection at rear of the TV)

dodzy wrote: »
    How do you know the feed is still "live"? Have you tested it on another set?

If you have a feed from UPC throught the cable, the TV will be fine. It just needs to be tuned. (with the cable plugged directly into the antenna connection at rear of the TV)

Yeah, works on another TV but the Panasonic wont pick up those freqs unfortunately....

• Advertisement

Yeah, works on another TV but the Panasonic wont pick up those freqs unfortunately....

Why not ?

dodzy wrote: »
    Why not ?

Probably beacuse its UK/UHF only as already mentioned. UPC cable is VHF . Can we get back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭monkeycork

i can't record on a external hard drive. ariva 120 combo using WD Elements usb 2.0 NTFS file system with external power. plug the USB into my desktop it works perfect. plug it into the usb slot in the ariva, nothing happens. in the REC menu the only option is time setting. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

monkeycork wrote: »
    i can't record on a external hard drive. ariva 120 combo using WD Elements usb 2.0 NTFS file system with external power. plug the USB into my desktop it works perfect. plug it into the usb slot in the ariva, nothing happens. in the REC menu the only option is time setting. :confused:

Highly fragmented or used memories may also not operate smoothly or correctly.

External hard disk drives should be autonomously powered, since the built-in USB port is unable to provide sufficient power.

It can sometimes take some time for the drive to load depending on the amount of DATA on it. You will see USb connected and then PVR ready when it is ready. Sometimes that can take some time to connect.

It can be picky if not powered by mains. Having said that I am using a USB 3 drive and it works without a power supply and powers off the USB port.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

monkeycork wrote: »
    i can't record on a external hard drive.
    Have you enough space on the drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Well I just upgraded the software on mine and bricked it! Download seemed to go fine then got to 100% and screen went black. Left it a while and then tried power off/on but it's totally dead!

What do I do now?

• Advertisement

When you powered on/off did you use the mains switch at the back of the box?

When you powered on/off did you use the mains switch at the back of the box?

Thanks, Tony. Yes, I switched off with the mains switch, left for a few seconds and switched back on. I got "- - - -" in the display but nothing else. I've just switched it on again after being off for about an hour and it's totally dead, nothing on the display and no power to the USB!

Ok the only thing I can suggest is using a null modem cable and the loader programme from ferguson. What frirmware file did you use to upgrade ?

Ok the only thing I can suggest is using a null modem cable and the loader programme from ferguson. What frirmware file did you use to upgrade ?

I had V2.13b? and I was upgrading to V2.17b3 using USB upgrade. I saved a dumpfile first and then attemped to upgrade using the "Allcode+bootloader" option. It said something like "bin file mismatch - do you want to proceed" and perhaps foolishly I said Yes.

I do have a null cable modem (9-pin D-type female both ends) so if I had the loader and the software I might be able to try that?

I bought from Satworld.ie so I could probably bring it back but probably easier for everybody if I could sort it out myself, assuming it's not faulty of course.

Thanks again, Paul

Well the guys at satworld are very helpful so I think that might be your easiest option if you explain to them what happened.

• Advertisement

I had V2.13b? and I was upgrading to V2.17b3 using USB upgrade. I saved a dumpfile first and then attemped to upgrade using the "Allcode+bootloader" option. It said something like "bin file mismatch - do you want to proceed" and perhaps foolishly I said Yes.

I do have a null cable modem (9-pin D-type female both ends) so if I had the loader and the software I might be able to try that?

I bought from Satworld.ie so I could probably bring it back but probably easier for everybody if I could sort it out myself, assuming it's not faulty of course.

Thanks again, Paul

Revival using a Null modem cable - sofware and instructions VERIFIED>
    (important part - do not tick bootloader)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74430278&postcount=1891

Also in this post the link to version of the firmware for the 120 is a little older. You can use the latest version from here (make sure you pick the version for your model!)

ftp://ftp2.ferguson.pl/ferguson

Thanks, guys. Tried the null cable but the whole thing is completely dead. No display, no heat, no little "sparking" sound as you slowly switch it on:rolleyes:. I'd open it up and check for internal fuses but that'd invalidate the warranty so looks like it's back to Satworld. Will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

I have a 120 with latest firmware. Great box :)
    A question I've had for a while - not critical but niggles me.

What does the 'lock' button do on the Channel list ?
    I had expected that after selecting 'sort A->Z' , the lists would present it that sorted order if I then selected 'lock' .

It does not seem to 'lock' anything ?? :confused:

Any thoughts on this ?

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Thanks, guys. Tried the null cable but the whole thing is completely dead. No display, no heat, no little "sparking" sound as you slowly switch it on:rolleyes:. I'd open it up and check for internal fuses but that'd invalidate the warranty so looks like it's back to Satworld. Will keep you posted.
    Did you save the file yourself or get it from the internet?

Also are you sure you put in the file from the right box? Putting in a file from the wrong model can brick it, I done it once before and it had A5s on the screen got it fixed through RS232

Anchises wrote: »
    I have a 120 with latest firmware. Great box :)
    A question I've had for a while - not critical but niggles me.

What does the 'lock' button do on the Channel list ?
    I had expected that after selecting 'sort A->Z' , the lists would present it that sorted order if I then selected 'lock' .

It does not seem to 'lock' anything ?? :confused:

Any thoughts on this ?

A.

I presume its to lock in a channel when moving it around for your channel list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Have you checked the fuse in the plug?

shblob wrote: »
    Did you save the file yourself or get it from the internet?

Also are you sure you put in the file from the right box? Putting in a file from the wrong model can brick it, I done it once before and it had A5s on the screen got it fixed through RS232

Got everything from the Ferguson website. File was titled "A120Combo_20111207_V2.17B3.abs" so sounds OK:). It's a pretty foolproof procedure so I think my box must have been kyboshed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

A question for users: in terms of media file playback, how do people find the 120? Does it support MKVs etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

dubber wrote: »
    A question for users: in terms of media file playback, how do people find the 120? Does it support MKVs etc.?

It supports

Video Containers: AVI, MKV, MPEG, MPG, VOB, TS, TRP, MP4, DVR

and in those containers, the following

Video Codecs: mpeg2, H.264
    Audio Codecs: MP3, AAC, AC3

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Have you checked the fuse in the plug?

It came with a two pin plug (i.e. no fuse) and the socket is live so I presume if a fuse is gone it's an internal fuse for the power supply. Can't open box without invalidating warranty:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

It came with a two pin plug

You were not given a 3 pin adapter ?

It came with a two pin plug (i.e. no fuse) and the socket is live so I presume if a fuse is gone it's an internal fuse for the power supply. Can't open box without invalidating warranty:rolleyes:.
    Have you brought it back yet?

You were not given a 3 pin adapter ?

Even the bloody retail shops aren't and they are demanding €125/145!

STB wrote: »
    Whenever I buy stuff from them I get one! And I've bought a few boxes

Was it bought in store?

Whenever I buy stuff from them I get one! And I've bought a few boxes

Was it bought in store?

The shops arent actually aware that they are 2 pin I gather.

I got one in a shop in Wexford. I didnt pay the 125 they were looking for though! And yes it was 2 pin only.

STB wrote: »

Maybe i'm wrong but i thought it was a legal requirement?

I'm thinking if it was bought online they could have forgot to put one on..

Is it? I got a TV in Harvey Norman before with a 2 pin plug!

It is.

But its being missed firstly by the wholesaler (is it Armstrongs or Ferguson direct?). Because they are boxed Tony and it isnt evident til you open the box. Lots of people arent going back I would imagine punters and are using a pen.

Also the boxes being shipped with cordsets from Poland are C,D configuration power supplies and do have ROHS and CE certification but they are intended for Poland of course. They should be shipped instead to Ireland and UK with J type configuration.

One for Ferguson Poland.

• Advertisement

Armtrongs don't sell them . As far as I know myself (I use a logistics group) and satworld are the only ones who bring in pallet loads . We buy the adapters separately and add them here.

No, I didn't get an adapter which surprised me as it is a legal requirement.

I bought it online from Satworld.ie and it was delivered by post (courier?). Surprisingly it had the stations tuned in but had the old V2.13 software. Surely one would expect both to be updated or none?

I haven't brought it back yet (haven't had a chance, hopefully over the next few days).

No, I didn't get an adapter which surprised me as it is a legal requirement.

I bought it online from Satworld.ie and it was delivered by post (courier?). Surprisingly it had the stations tuned in but had the old V2.13 software. Surely one would expect both to be updated or none?

I haven't brought it back yet (haven't had a chance, hopefully over the next few days).
    Sure go in there and Im sure they'll sort you out, sound lads in there.

Sure go in there and Im sure they'll sort you out, sound lads in there.

+1

Last time I checked you can turn off the automatic pause in the settings which *should* stop the USB stick from being constantly accessed, while still allowing Pause to work ...... it just won't have the few previous seconds.

The main point is ...... if the USB stick is being constantly accessed, which hopefully may be indicated by a LED on the stick, then it will get damaged rather quickly.

So I strongly recommend that you turn off, whatever needs to be turned off, in the settings to ensure this constant access does not happen.

An external HDD is the better option ..... but make sure it has its own power supply and is not dependent on the USB socket to power it.

regards.

Hi
    I purchased one of these boxes off Tony today, Will a standard 2.5 Inch HDD not work solely off the USB port on the box ?
    Has anybody tried a external drive without a power supply ??

Hi
    I purchased one of these boxes off Tony today, Will a standard 2.5 Inch HDD not work solely off the USB port on the box ?

Different success stories with usb powered drives. Much better with the larger drive externally powered.

• Advertisement

Hi

Yes some have .... both with success and failure.

Up to you really ...... the device manual tells you explicitly to use HDDs that have their own power supply.

I would suggest that would be the route to follow both to protect the small PSU providing power to the USB socket and to ensure you have the best chance of reliable recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Hi quick question I have the 120 box (got from satellite.ie)when I use epg it gives full listings for terrestrial channels but nothing for the free to air channels. Is there a reason for this or is there a way to fix? Thanks

cuculainn wrote: »
    Hi quick question I have the 120 box (got from satellite.ie)when I use epg it gives full listings for terrestrial channels but nothing for the free to air channels. Is there a reason for this or is there a way to fix? Thanks

It should give Now and Next for Satellite channels .......

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

It should give Now and Next for Satellite channels .......

Yeah thats what I thought.....but the EPG for all the sat channels is empty. Any solutions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

cuculainn wrote: »
    Yeah thats what I thought.....but the EPG for all the sat channels is empty. Any solutions?

You have to click on a channel first for the 'now and next' info to load up for that channel (and for any other channel on the same transponder).

• Advertisement
Advertisement