Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muntons IPA

Options
  • 27-09-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

Hi, This is my first attempt at brewing, so hopefully all will go well.
    Just wondering has anyone else tried this beer and how does it normally turn out. i just used brewing sugar as i did not want to be too adventurous with spraymalts for my first time.

Also, it seems to be very hard to get pubs to part with pint bottles. I bought 30 500 ml bottles, and have 3 used bottles of same. I am supposed to end up with 40 pints, so how many more 500ml would i want so that no beer goes to waste.:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

Also in the instructions in says about bottling from 4-6 days but reading some of the comments here relating to different beers this seems very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

you'll need 40 500ml bottles for 40 pints. Also I always leave it for 2 weeks before bottling, this should ensure fermentation is complete(alternatively 2 identical hydrometer readings 2 days apart). Cant comment on the kit, haven't tried it. Good luck, its a very rewarding hobby:-)

L

Thanks for that, will have to empty a few bottles before the weekend so. Happy days.

Thanks for that, will have to empty a few bottles before the weekend so. Happy days.
    Make sure they're brown . Clear and green can lead to lightstruck beer although it hasn't happened to me yet.

L

This may be a silly question, but it says nothing on the pack about stirring up the wort every day.
    I assume then that i just leave it alone to do its business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

This may be a silly question, but it says nothing on the pack about stirring up the wort every day.
    Don't touch it as you will risk infection. Seal the bin and forget about it for 2 or 3 weeks.

definitely just leave it sit . The less it's touched the better

L

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Just for interests sake i checked it this evening with the hydrometer, and it a bit above 1030.

I have that sitting in some steri solution, and gave it a quick rinse with pure water before use.

Also, can i sterilize my bottles and rinse them a few days before use so that they will be dry, or does it all have to be done the same day.

bibibobo wrote: »
    Don't touch it as you will risk infection. Seal the bin and forget about it for 2 or 3 weeks.

The can says 4 to 6 days, is this just a rough guide that you adjust to your hydrometer readings.

The can says 4 to 6 days, is this just a rough guide that you adjust to your hydrometer readings.
    They're not related. The can instructions don't ever seem to be worthy of much consideration. Plenty of advice on this forum telling you to leave it all ferment out for 2-3 weeks.

• Advertisement

Also, can i sterilize my bottles and rinse them a few days before use so that they will be dry, or does it all have to be done the same day.
    sanitise all equipment as close to Use as possible as this minimises the potential build up of bacteria and airborne baddies. Have a listen to this interview as posted here very recently. Listen from about 13mins on. It's an excellent overview of sanitisation, bleach etc. http://hw.libsyn.com/p/3/9/0/390da96899933961/bbr03-29-07.mp3?sid=970f22232826ceffd8ba43c4866ecc35&l_sid=18257&l_eid=&l_mid=1511169

Thanks again for all the good advice.

Tipping along nicely, 1028 at midday today.

are you opening the bin to take a sample? (not recommended) or are you sampling from a tap?

are you opening the bin to take a sample? (not recommended) or are you sampling from a tap?

Opening the bin, but everything that i use ( a plastic wine thief and sampling jar) is steeping in the sterilizing solution, is scrubed afterwards and goes straight back into the solution then.

1024 today.

Starting to look like a Pale Ale.

Opening the bin, but everything that i use ( a plastic wine thief and sampling jar) is steeping in the sterilizing solution, is scrubed afterwards and goes straight back into the solution then.

1024 today.

Starting to look like a Pale Ale.

There's a layer of co2 sitting on the beer that's helping to protect it from airborne bacteria. Every time you interfere with that you're disturbing that protective layer and increasing the chance of infection despite your sanitisation . Try to avoid the urge to check regularly and let it sit for 2 weeks . As fermentation becomes less vigorous there's far less co2 released and the protective layer doesn't replenish itself quite so well after you've been in there.

L

Lars wrote: »
    There's a layer of co2 sitting on the beer that's helping to protect it from airborne bacteria. Every time you interfere with that you're disturbing that protective layer and increasing the chance of infection despite your sanitisation . Try to avoid the urge to check regularly and let it sit for 2 weeks . As fermentation becomes less vigorous there's far less co2 released and the protective layer doesn't replenish itself quite so well after you've been in there.

L

Fair enough, just have to curb my enthusiasm a wee bit so. Every 3-4 days would be often enough then ?

L

Fair enough, just have to curb my enthusiasm a wee bit so. Every 3-4 days would be often enough then ?
    I'd wait 2 weeks and then check maybe 2 days on a row for a steady FG

L

I'd wait 2 weeks and then check maybe 2 days on a row for a steady FG

L

Thanks, i have high hopes for this, and judging by the taste at this early stage this will be the first of many brews. Very sweet as you would expect, and i am still standing so thats a plus. ;)

I read a lot here with people using carbonation drops instead of sugar. Does that make much of a difference with an ale or could you use something like demerara sugar or even the extra dark sugar. Would that give a different taste or character to the beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

The best trick with sterilisation is to shake the bottles dry after you pull them out of the solution, and seal them straight away. They are good to use at any time in the future.

Sterilising can be a lot of work unless you can mass produce it. Once in a while, I will fill the bath, put in some cheap solution, and fill it with bottles, demijohns, PETS or whatever comes to hand. Empty/rotate as needed and store all the sealed sterilised bottles separately.

Works a charm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I'm doing a Muntons IPA at the moment too, brewed on Saturday evening after the homebrew west opening sale! Used this 3kg kit though, no additional fermentables required;
    muntons-gold-india-pale-ale-425-p.jpg

Was intending to pick up the Coopers IPA and 1Kg of DME but they were out of stock until today.

Not a good idea to scrub. Especially when it comes to cleaning your fermenter. Scrubbing will scour the surface slightly and give somewhere for bacteria to grow. Use warm water and a smooth cloth.

Do you have a tap? If so I'd get a trial jar and pour a sample into that to take a reading, then discard. You'll not be exposing the beer at all then.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Just finished this kit and started drinking the proceeds last week. Nice stuff although the alcohol content turned out much higher than expected. Didn’t add anything to the kit so can’t explain why. OG 1060 / FG 1014 so near 7% acccounting for priming sugar.

Primary 10 Days
    Secondary 13 days
    Bottle Conditioned 21 days

Just finished this kit and started drinking the proceeds last week. Nice stuff although the alcohol content turned out much higher than expected. Didn’t add anything to the kit so can’t explain why. OG 1060 / FG 1014 so near 7% acccounting for priming sugar.

Primary 10 Days
    Secondary 13 days
    Bottle Conditioned 21 days

The one i used was from the Muntons Connoisseur range, for future reference is there more in the box than the can of wort mix ( sorry if this the wrong term, still a newbie :) )

Just from tasting the samples i have taken for hygrometer readings it is a strong beer.

Also would it be ok to return that sample to the rest of the beer. Have not done this but i hate wasting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

The one i used was from the Muntons Connoisseur range, for future reference is there more in the box than the can of wort mix ( sorry if this the wrong term, still a newbie :) )

Just from tasting the samples i have taken for hygrometer readings it is a strong beer.

Also would it be ok to return that sample to the rest of the beer. Have not done this but i hate wasting it.

The kit contains two identical cans of Wort + 1 Sachet of yeast.

Forget how its tastes now. If you brew it correctly and condition it for long enough the finished product is likely to taste different.

I wouldn’t risk infecting your beer by adding back the contents of the sample jar. Besides you don’t need to take samples that often anyway. If you’re really concerned with wastage then get a refractometer.

The kit contains two identical cans of Wort + 1 Sachet of yeast.

Forget how its tastes now. If you brew it correctly and condition it for long enough the finished product is likely to taste different.

I wouldn’t risk infecting your beer by adding back the contents of the sample jar. Besides you don’t need to take samples that often anyway. If you’re really concerned with wastage then get a refractometer.

Thanks, last sample was 1020 so not long to go now.

I was wondering about castor or dark sugar for the bottles, could it improve or damage the taste if there is more molasses in the sugar.

Happy drinking with yours, i will have to try some of the beers on the next level up next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Just checked on my Muntons Gold IPA there, it's down to 1.018, was 1.022 yesterday and started at 1.044 so coming along nicely.

Worryingly though, the consistence looks dodgy. It's not a consistent liquid, there seems to be tiny pics of white blobs throughout. I'm hoping this is the yeast still in solution and will drop out, haven't seen this is any of my previous (4) batches though...

Bottled up the beer this evening, F.G. 1012, and added half a teaspoon of sugar to each b ottle.

Now just have to wait 2 weeks + to see how it conditions.

Happy days.

Advertisement