Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing Fish

Options
  • 27-09-2011 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi there people,

something I dont know much about is the regulations on introducing fish into water. I had in mind trying to introduce a small stamp of carp in a little unknown water, not my own land and would seek land/lake owners permission but there already is a head of roach perch rudd and im sure of tench but yet I havnt targeted them yet!

I have looked around the net but theres just so much info I dont know what is true or false info. So lads what im trying to find out is YES or NO if I could do it and if it might work.

I suspect the usual people on here would have some good knowledge on the topic and if so could you help :)

Thanks people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

You need to talk to the Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI) first. Stocking a venue with Carp without going through the proper channels is illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

You need to talk to the Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI) first.

Spot on Butcher.

Stocking a venue with Carp without going through the proper channels is illegal.

It may be illegal in given circumstances, buy nonetheless, Carp have fairly specific habitat requirements, one of the reasons they're not widespread.

Talk to IFI, probably Swords and ask to speak to someone with expertise in Coarse fish.
    PM me if you want a contact name.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

Lads thanks for the replies exactly what I was looking for, I have read on here that it is illegal but theres so many aspects to it if you went deep enough you could probly find a way around it!

Bizzum, thanks for the offer of a contact but I still want to find the basics before actually going about it, but I might be back to you some time for it :)

Thanks lads!

Advertisement