Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Fibre powered broadband -Sept 2011

• 27-09-2011 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭

Hello

I just got UPC fibre powered broadband, the 50 MB pack, have been running speedtests and am gettin crap results.......nowhere near 50 mb. Am testing with a physical wired cable also and gettin download speeds of between 0.76 mb and 14 mb !!!! sure thats just crap

Does this fibre powered broadband have any contention ratio ? as far as I know it dosent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

obi604 wrote: »

Does this fibre powered broadband have any contention ratio ? as far as I know it dosent

Yes it does, it can slow down allot @ peak times 8 - 12ish.. some days are great, not much congestion at all, other days ****e.
    Morning Speeds are always the best for me.

1505350771.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭obi604

mark17j wrote: »
    Yes it does, it can slow down allot @ peak times 8 - 12ish.. some days are great, not much congestion at all, other days ****e.
    Morning Speeds are always the best for me.

1505350771.png

What speed is your broadband package ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

actually I know someone in Dublin I reccomended UPC when their 8Mb Eircom runs out :O

If your getting this performance where in Dublin or what exchange are you on?

Regards,
    Nick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Hello

I just got UPC fibre powered broadband, the 50 MB pack, have been running speedtests and am gettin crap results.......nowhere near 50 mb. Am testing with a physical wired cable also and gettin download speeds of between 0.76 mb and 14 mb !!!! sure thats just crap

What speed test and server are you using?

What speed test and server are you using?

Hello, I used the one on the upc website and speedtest.net and not over wireless either but via the cable with wirelss turned off on my pc

• Advertisement

When one is on wireless and near to the wireless modem, what kind of speeds should one expect from a 50Mb UPC connection over wireless ? and when being the only one on wireless at the time

Also, anyone know what UPC say about their contention ratio on their 50mb fibre powered broadband ?

What speeds are you getting now?... u should pick up about 45mb down on wireless, but this time of night may not be possible.
    I'm on the 25 mbs and right now achieving about 19mb down now 2.5 up - also using wireless.

mark17j wrote: »
    What speeds are you getting now?... u should pick up about 45mb down on wireless, but this time of night may not be possible.
    I'm on the 25 mbs and right now achieving about 19mb down now 2.5 up - also using wireless.

im gettin 20mb download and 4.8 upload

do you know is there contention ratio on these upc fibre powered broadband lines ?? i.e if plugged directly to modem with a cable , should I be getting near to 50mbb

im gettin 20mb download and 4.8 upload

do you know is there contention ratio on these upc fibre powered broadband lines ?? i.e if plugged directly to modem with a cable , should I be getting near to 50mbb

you should get the full speed via an ethernet cable, but as I said, UPC lines can slow down in the late evenings due to yes high contention, UPC say there is none, but that's not true. Many are accessing the service at these times slowing down ur bandwidth.. do you check your speeds at different times of the day, morning in particular, what do you achieve then?
    Your upload is spot on.

Advertisement