Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Fencing

Options
  • 27-09-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

I have a large property that I need to fence fully in. Without burdening everyone with too much information I need to keep things (animals and children) in my property and all of the surrounding properties have barbed wire so I need to block my property off from the barbed wire and keep everyone safe.

Radio fencing and electric fencing have already been suggested - please do not suggest anything like this as it's completely impractical to my situation.

Basically - I'm just looking for some advice on where I might pick up some cheap fencing. Like perhaps a farm supply store around the Roscommon or Westmeath area would be ideal. I'm not a farmer, so I have no idea what types of places farmers would shop in to get fencing for their properties. So if a farmer, or anyone who knows a farmer could make some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Could just go to a co-op and see what they have that might suit your needs. Most co-ops would have a good range of products.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

Could just go to a co-op and see what they have that might suit your needs. Most co-ops would have a good range of products.

I've tried googling farm fencing, cheap farm fencing, etc etc and never found any of the co-ops you mentioned - I'll google them specifically.

I had peeked into B&Q type places (no intention of buying there with the size of the property I have!) but just to get an idea of what might be available and what the "rip off" prices would be - I estimated to get all the fencing I'd need that it would be 6000/7000! Way too much! So I thought, well farmers have acres and acres and acres of land they need to fence in so thought I'd pop around these parts and see if anyone with solid, first hand info could point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the tip-off about the co-ops! I'll have to google those directly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

There should be multiple co-ops in any rural area, generally in and around small towns. When you find something you might want, price it in a few and then haggle

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Pricing example. I fenced a few acres recently. about 4 or 5 i think.
    It took a full bale of ordinary split stakes, 6 or 8 coils of wire i put on 3 strands, couple of bags of steeples, i put in all the posts with the digger, a guy gave me a hand to put on the wire 2 days or so work for 2 of us and the digger,
    Cost approx 1500 and thats not taking anything for my time

For u to fence this kind of area to 'block off' totally it will be a very expensive job if u want a neat tidy job, you could put up square uprights think they are around 2 euro each and bang on 9 by 1 board leaving couple of inches gap between, wont be terribly pretty but will be child and animal proof and i cant think of a cheaper way

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The cheapest option is probably Stock Fence. This is the common fencing that you see around sheep fields. It has smaller holes at the bottom & larger towards the top. The problem is that it isn't very high.

Depending on your ground wooden posts can be a pain. You might be able to buy some cheap angle iron posts that are far quicker & easier to drive in as you don't have to dig a hole.

Another option that is not as strong would be chicken wire. Usually the larger the holes the cheaper the wire. I would look in GPs for fencing suppliers/manufacturers & see if you can haggle a deal for a bulk load.

There should be a lot of site fencing panels available given the recession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OP - perhaps what you need is the Post n Rail fencing with Chainlink. Strong, neat and very secure.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

OP - perhaps what you need is the Post n Rail fencing with Chainlink. Strong, neat and very secure.
    :)

I agree but all of the advice here is dependant on budget & any mesh can work on post & rail.

Advertisement