Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving threads out of AH

Options
  • 27-09-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,496 ✭✭✭✭

This thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056402901 has already achieved 7 pages of largely thoughtless and offensive one liner comments. It was obvious from the start that the topic was being introduced more for titillation and the opportunity for cheap jibes than any real sense of disgust at the subject matter.

Since AH is there to let people exercise their humour rather than have serious discussions I think it would be better to move these kind of threads before they have chance to be the butt of immature comediens.

There is a difference between someone coming on and saying 'women are rubbish drivers, discuss' - pathetic but non-specific, and making cheap jokes about women/ people in an impossible position trying to right social wrongs. Men fight wars, women use civil disobedience. The women who campaigned for the vote for women in these islands in the last century were mocked and derided, but they succeeded. These Saudi women are trying to do the same, and deserve better than AH has to offer.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

To be honest if you were to apply that standard to AH 25% of the threads wouldn't be there. Anyone that posts and frequents the place has to accept a certain level of bad taste and lampooning. It's the Private Eye of Boards. AH currently has a new thread complaining about the cost of the new childrens Hospice which I would class is worse than the Women Drivers in Saudi Thread. Its a matter of opinion what offends each and everyone on this site. If you want a laugh you post in AH but if you want a serious discussion and some informative replies you go to specific forums such as humanities, politics or TLL etc

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Did you report any of the posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

There's also a thread about it in the ladies lounge which, incidentally, an AH mod bumped with an update...there are probably other threads on other forums as well.

Just because a topic is getting a less serious discussion in AH doesn't mean that's the only forum it's being discussed in, or can be discussed in - and as a generally irreverent and poke-fun-at type forum, it's a bit unfair to expect posters in that forum to do anything else, regardless of the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,496 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There's also a thread about it in the ladies lounge which, incidentally, an AH mod bumped with an update...there are probably other threads on other forums as well.

Just because a topic is getting a less serious discussion in AH doesn't mean that's the only forum it's being discussed in, or can be discussed in - and as a generally irreverent and poke-fun-at type forum, it's a bit unfair to expect posters in that forum to do anything else, regardless of the topic.

Yes, that is the point I am making. I am not expecting any other behaviour from AH and I certainly do not think that AH should be modded any more closely than it is. However threads do get moved if they are not appropriate to a particular forum, and I cannot see why this could not be the case in AH.

I would have reported it if I had seen it sooner, but it was already too long when I saw it. If the thread is to be allowed to stay, there is no point reporting individual posts. If I had reported it though would there have been any acceptance of the idea that a thread might be inappropriate to AH?

The point I am making is that there does not seem to be any policy of moving specific posts out of AH, even though it happens between forums on the rest of the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

This isn't really my beef so sorry for sticking my beak in again but...AH is, as I'm sure you know, a kinda local pub of Boards, it's not topic specific for threads on current affairs to be inappropriate - everything gets discussed there; usually in the inimitable AH style...so other than threads where the OP is looking for serious discussion and posted in the wrong place, it doesn't have the same reason to move threads as other topic/slant specific forums do.

If people want serious discussion then they post the thread in/on threads in the appropriate forum for that kind of discussion. If they want the light-hearted version, they post in/on threads in AH. If the light-hearted banter becomes abusive or OTT, then the AH mods are very quick to step in as soon as they spot it/are alerted to it, ime.

I think moving topics out of AH because they aren't being discussed seriously enough is rather missing the point of AH - and why the other forums also exist and often have threads for serious discussion on the same topics, for that matter. My 2c. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Many people report a single post in a thread and state they object to the entire thread. I believe reporting should always be the first port of call. It gives the forum mods a heads up.

Threads are rarely moved out of AH unless we catch them really early, they tend to get AH'd fairly quickly. If they clearly don't belong in AH we normally close and link to the appropriate forum.

The thread in question has subsequently been cleaned up.

Advertisement