Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depth/width of the river Suir in the city?

• 27-09-2011 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hey all. I have always been curious to what the depth and width of the river in the city is? More interested in just the depth. Lets say around the bridge or between the plaza and the docks.

The river has always mightily intimidated me, I see it as something with no bottom :( but I still love it. I can't seem to find any info online about it anywhere. Anybody know?

I was once told as a kid that its the depth of the Munster Express building?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My father worked on the current bridge, from what I can remember from all the stories he has told, the bridge is 840ft accross and the dept of the piles he drove in to hold the bridge were 70ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

Its alot deeper then i thought it was been honest. I dunno why but i always imagined it been rather shallow when i look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Apparently it is 115 miles long.

I also heard it is one of the fastest flowing rivers in europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Suir

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Seem to remember seeing a cross section of the bottom of the Suir at Waterford and at one point it goes very deep. Basically extend Mt. Sion and Mt. Misery down into the water at the same angle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Is this any use OP?

suir.jpg

The depths are in metres and are lowest tide values, so it's normally a bit deeper than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

merlante wrote: »
    Seem to remember seeing a cross section of the bottom of the Suir at Waterford.

Where & when did you see this? Sounds mad

Also thanks Tabnabs thats very interesting.

Advertisement