Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up secure wifi network??

Options
  • 27-09-2011 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Have wireless router and I can connect to it no problem but it says the network is unsecure and does not ask for a password to connect.
    So I want to make it a secure network and set up a password. I have gone through windows help on my laptop and it says to
    -open network and sharing -click on set up a new connection or network - click set up new network then I get a page saying choose wireless router or access point you want to configure it might take up to 90 second to find but nothing happens after this have waited ages and nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Have wireless router and I can connect to it no problem but it says the network is unsecure and does not ask for a password to connect.
    So I want to make it a secure network and set up a password. I have gone through windows help on my laptop and it says to
    -open network and sharing -click on set up a new connection or network - click set up new network then I get a page saying choose wireless router or access point you want to configure it might take up to 90 second to find but nothing happens after this have waited ages and nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Go to start>run and type cmd (in windows vista/7 search cmd in start menu), type the following "ipconfig /all" without the quotes. Scroll up to your network adaptor, your machine should have an IP Address and also under these values you should see "Default Gateway", some examples of what you may see are:
    etc.
    Simply type this default gateway address for your router into the address bar (not google search bar) of your browser and hit enter. You may be asked to login, try combinations like
    admin/admin
    admin/1234
    admin/password
    admin/[blank]
    broadband1 (eircom zyxel routers)
    If neither work please post back here the routers model number.
    In the setting page when you are logged in browse to wifi/wlan, wireless lan settings and choose encryption type to be WPA2 TKIP, if no WPA2 option choose WPA.
    Enter a password of your choice for the encryption string.
    Next time you try to connect to your wireless network you'll need to put in the password, on fones, consoles etc.
    Post back if you need more help

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Thank you don't know what I would do without helpful people on boards :)
    got it done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Will what I have just done have any effect on my OH being able to connect and play xbox live?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Will what I have just done have any effect on my OH being able to connect and play xbox live?

Yes, they will need to use that password on any device they wish to take online, Xboxs, Phones, Laptops etc. You are better off having encryption btw, so don't revert back if people start complaining :rolleyes:

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭play4fun1

If you want some additional protection - setup MAC address filtering .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

play4fun1 wrote: »
    If you want some additional protection - setup MAC address filtering .
    Ignore that comment, the only security it provides is a false feeling of security.

MAC addresses are visible even when encryption is used.
    Kismet or Netstumbler will show them.

To change it in windows it's at worst a regedit , you export the old setting to a .reg file , add in the new mac and then save it as a second .reg file. changing to / fro is then just clicking on the appropiate file

in linux/bsd/ubuntu it's a simple command line

http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-change-a-mac-address.html - for list of apps and techniques for other OS's

So detecting and spoofing a MAC address is trivial to anyone who could get past the encryption.

Advertisement