Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What web browser should I be using

Options
  • 27-09-2011 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Looking for some computer advice
    For college I need to log onto this webcourses system and was advised to not use Internet Explorer or Google chrome. So I got Safari, however, when you run a 'check browser' check before logging into the system, it says safari is just as bad as internet explorer. Is there a browser thats better then the others?

Also, since I got safari I haven't been able to watch videos as I need to install the correct plugin, when I try to download the correct adobe flash player an error message says I cant download it until I close safari.
    msg.PNG
    How can I get around this.
    Thanks

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

You could try Mozilla Firefox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

jayteecork wrote: »
    You could try Mozilla Firefox.

+1

The latest versions of Internet explorer (9+10) are pretty good as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

For college I need to log onto this webcourses system and was advised to not use Internet Explorer or Google chrome. So I got Safari, however, when you run a 'check browser' check before logging into the system, it says safari is just as bad as internet explorer. Is there a browser thats better then the others?
    I'd suggest taking a look to see if they or the college staff recommend a browser. It sounds like the software they are using has hooks into or only supports a specific browser so the people running it will know for sure what'll work best.
    How can I get around this.
    Close Safari.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If it's UCD I'd recommend using Firefox. Chrome plays badly with the UCD system.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sure Safari and Chrome are pritty much the same rendering engine, webcourses is an atrocious system though. Why do colleges pay who knows how much to blackboard when lightweight Moodle is free and does the same thing (plus work on everything modern browser you try access it from).
    Try downloading Firefox 3.6 as that browser web courses should work with. Don't worry about that check browser crap just install Java, allow all pop ups from the webcourses site and youll be flying, Chrome does have dodgy plugin support sometimes so maybe thats why it doesn't work!

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Moodle is superior to Blackboard. But when these people buy the wrong one, no one is going to stand up and admit that.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Moodle is superior to Blackboard. But when these people buy the wrong one, no one is going to stand up and admit that.

It beggers belief how some of these systems even pass approval of the commitee or whoeever it is finally decides. For example DIT "upgraded" their mail from an atrocious framed based system to a Java based one. The Java based one never worked in Chrome (and Chrome was out a while at this stage) and subsequent versions of IE and Firefox. Finally they saw sense and use Google Mail now :rolleyes: .
    Also my Mum has to use a system called EPortal in her school, it only works properly in IE6 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Close Safari.

Tried that, it still gives the same error message :confused:

yoyo wrote: »
    Sure Safari and Chrome are pritty much the same rendering engine, webcourses is an atrocious system though. Why do colleges pay who knows how much to blackboard when lightweight Moodle is free and does the same thing (plus work on everything modern browser you try access it from).
    Try downloading Firefox 3.6 as that browser web courses should work with. Don't worry about that check browser crap just install Java, allow all pop ups from the webcourses site and youll be flying, Chrome does have dodgy plugin support sometimes so maybe thats why it doesn't work!

Nick

theres all kinds of 3.6.16 and various other ones does that make a difference?

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Tried that, it still gives the same error message :confused:

Just uninstall Safari, use Firefox or Chrome, btw alt>ctrl>del start task manager and under processes choose safari and end task, but I'd just remove it, Safari on windows sucks, not sure about on Mac

Nick

• Advertisement

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    theres all kinds of 3.6.16 and various other ones does that make a difference?

3.6.16 is fine, its just an older version so should work for webcourses

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    3.6.16 is fine, its just an older version so should work for webcourses

Nick

I got the 3.6.23 and its running well on webcourses, jus trying to get the adobe player now
    Thanks

Advertisement