Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logistics to Licence

Options
  • 27-09-2011 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Hello, i'm looking for some info if someone could oblige. I've joined my club, bought my safe, paid for my gun and sent in my application and now i'm playing the waiting game. What kind of realistic time am i looking at and what is the behind the scenes logistics from application dropped off at the local station to collection of gun (.22 rifle)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

rgugliel wrote: »
    Hello, i'm looking for some info if someone could oblige. I've joined my club, bought my safe, paid for my gun and sent in my application and now i'm playing the waiting game. What kind of realistic time am i looking at and what is the behind the scenes logistics from application dropped off at the local station to collection of gun (.22 rifle)

Thanks

To be honest, it varies massively.

From a couple of weeks to many months.

Depends on district, station, super, efficiency, etc.

Is it a first gun? another variable unfortunately.

one of my renewals for a firearm took over 6 months but this was at the start of the new licensing procedures.

my other renewal at the same time for a different firearm, took 3-4 weeks.

You really will not get an answer to this one as everyone of us here has probably had a different experience.

All I will say is, hope it comes soon, hope you enjoy your new gun and have many years of safe and happy shooting with it.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It took me eight months for my .22 rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

as already said it depends what station you applied in. could be sitting on someones desk in there for weeks. then it goes to the super. depends how long it takes him to grant it or not. i believe after he grants it the fastest bit is after he decides to send it off.
    if you dont hear anything after 3 months it can mean you've been declined and i dont think they have to tell you that you were declined either.

when did you send the form in?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

thanks for the reply, it's about 3 weeks now. I spoke to the garda in charge of licensing the other day and he said i should get something in the post, but didn't want to press too hard as i don't want to pass the line too annoying him, but was just wondering more so the process of when he does his checks (completed form, pulse, etc) what he does with it, then what i need to do,

thanks

thanks for the reply, it's about 3 weeks now. I spoke to the garda in charge of licensing the other day and he said i should get something in the post, but didn't want to press too hard as i don't want to pass the line too annoying him, but was just wondering more so the process of when he does his checks (completed form, pulse, etc) what he does with it, then what i need to do,

thanks

My 2 went in last friday evening, so monday basically. So im 8 days waiting so far. The garda in charge still has to send the forms on to the super and he could decide not to look at them for a week or 2. your best hope of finding out how long it takes is asking lads in your area with guns how long it look them.

the next thign you will have to do is pay the 80 euro for the licence in the post office when you get a approval letter. Only other thing you'll need is patience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

, then what i need to do
    thanks

You have nothing to do unless they call you or ask you to come to the station to clarify any concerns they might have about your necessity for said firearm.

I wouldnt worry about it, it will run its course as it really is at the mercy of the system at this stage as you have complied with all that is required of you. If after a few months, you havent heard anything back, you can start chasing it up.

From what you have said, the only thing I could imagine they could ask you for at this stage is that you complete some form of firearms competency course, which is unlikely.

All going well you will get a letter from the Gardai to present for payment at your P.O. to collect your license then off you go to collect your gun

Perfect, thanks all, that's put my mind at ease, was getting worried that those traffic offences were coming back to haunt me, but patience is the answer :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The process from here goes as follows:
    • Super gives application back to FO (assuming its passed)
    • FO enters your details into PULSE
    • Shortly after you receive a receipt letter to say your application is being processed and they have 3 months to process it.
    • Shortly after you receive a grant letter to say your application has been approved.
    • Take your grant letter to the post office, and pay your €80.
    • 3 (or so) days later you get the license in the post.
    • Go and collect your gun.
    Some people will tell you to collect the gun on the grant letter. Fact is a grant letter is not a license and technically you shouldn't be able to collect your gun with it. Personally always advise people to wait until you get the license card itself. Its only another 3 days extra and everything is above board.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

garv123 wrote: »
    My 2 went in last friday evening, so monday basically. So im 8 days waiting so far. The garda in charge still has to send the forms on to the super and he could decide not to look at them for a week or 2. your best hope of finding out how long it takes is asking lads in your area with guns how long it look them.

the next thign you will have to do is pay the 80 euro for the licence in the post office when you get a approval letter. Only other thing you'll need is patience.
    I sent my application in the same day as yourself and can't wait.
    Lets see whose licence comes first, We could name this The All Ireland Whose Licence Came First Finals. Kilkenny Vs Waterford. LOL.:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

First shotgun licence took eleven days from beginning to end. Am in Roscommon if that helps.

• Advertisement

lee70 wrote: »
    I sent my application in the same day as yourself and can't wait.
    Lets see whose licence comes first, We could name this The All Ireland Whose Licence Came First Finals. Kilkenny Vs Waterford. LOL.:D:D:D:D
    if its anything like the hurling i'll be waiting 60 odd years and still no sign of it :(

Licence came last monday:D:D:D. Any luck your end.

lee70 wrote: »
    Licence came last monday:D:D:D. Any luck your end.

would of had it 2 weeks ago but the super is been an ass about giving me 2 licences as he doesnt see the need for 2 guns apparently. FO still trying to convince him. he sad he'd give me one now and the other in a year :mad:

And i'm still waiting too, i'm like a kid on christmas morning when the postman comes ::(

garv123 wrote: »
    would of had it 2 weeks ago but the super is been an ass about giving me 2 licences as he doesnt see the need for 2 guns apparently. FO still trying to convince him. he sad he'd give me one now and the other in a year :mad:
    I'd ring the supers office and ask to speak to him over this matter. Like whats the difference if he's going to give the second one down the line then he may as well give it to you now. Now thats some bullsh1t.

Advertisement