Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Warden

• 27-09-2011 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

The dog warden called to my house today while I was out.He left a note saying he was checking for a dog licence.I found out later on that he only called to two houses on my estate,my house and my friends house.I know that there are at least three other people on my estate with dogs and he didn't call to them.Does this mean that one of my neighbors called the warden?Or is it just a random check?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Awesome!Will the dog warden tell me if there was a complaint from a neighbor?Or will he just tell me its a random check for a dog licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

He may lie and say it was a random check or he may tell the truth and say there was a noise complaint but he won't say from whom - a favourite trick is to say he got the complaint from the local Garda Station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Is there some reason why a neighbour would complain about your dog to the dog warden? If there is, you need to sort it out regardless of whether you were reported or not, if there isn't, I don't see what your issue is.

What breed is the dog? Is it visible from outside your property when others aren't, did it bark to alert the warden of its presence? Did you forget to renew your licence? (this could trigger a visit).

I have a german shepherd.He does bark but only at cats running around the place and only during the day.I put his bark collar on him at night and thats fairly effective.The only thing I can think off is that he started barking at a neighbors dog when i was heading out on a walk but the neighbors dog was running loose around the road.When the warden called my dog was in the kitchen so theres no way he could've seen him.

they've met him a few times and he's always friendly with them.They're dog was off the leash this time and i'd say my dog got over excited and wanted to play and started barking and pulling on the leash and the neighbors might have seen this as aggression.then again it may not have been them that called the warden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ferretcrazy

If there has been a dog licence at your address in the last 5 years that has not been renewed thats the reason they call to these house's because the odds of there still being a dog there and you running out to buy a new one are pretty high, its happened to lots of people i know including myself, if a dog die's you must inform them, otherwise they keep on comeing back, its all on computer. :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

john t wrote: »
    Yep he does not know wat homes have a dog unless told to check that adress, he is not equipped like a tv licence inspector yet... He only calls when requisted too..

Maybe it's different in other counties, but the wardens here in Louth do fairly regular door to door checks, and they have a computerized system which tells them if a dog in any particular house is already licensed. Therefore, they don't have to check every house as they know who is and who isn't licensed.
    I met the warden once whilst out walking my dogs, when told they're licensed he put my address into a little handheld machine he had with him, said "that's fine", and that was the last I've heard from them, despite seeing them doing door-to-doors here several times since.
    OP, why don't you just ask him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

the warden called to my house a while back, confirmed my name and then informed me that my dog was licenced. He had what looked like a list on a clipboard sort of thing so once he confirmed who I was and he could see the dog sitting behind me (maybe he had the description of the type of dog on his list?) then he didn't need any more information. I heard that a neighbour got caught out for a licence alright and I also saw him calling at other houses a few streets away later on that day so I reckoned it was just a check in the area rather than responding to complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The warden called to our house a week after we got our dog lol.

Do you have a dog!?
    YES!!! We got him last week - how did you know?
    I didn't lol I'm just doing some checks in the area! :D

Re the wardens in vans in the parks - there's 2 vans that go around in our area - only the one with the fan on the top is the actual dog warden - the other one is just a warden who patrols the parks and spends a few mins in each one as it's cheaper than having full time wardens in each park. In our park the normal wardens aren't usually bothered - possibly because we have the dogs up away from everyone so they're not causing any bother but the dog warden will drive over and tell people to put the dogs on their leads.

Hopefully its just a random check.I'd like to think my neighbors would come to me first if there was a problem.i'll be asking when he comes back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Ah kinda hope the dog warden around here starts doing some random checks, might make a few owners sit up and take notice :rolleyes::rolleyes:. Theres 22 dogs between 40 houses in this estate and only 5 of them are licensed, 8 of them bark all day and night and only ever see 5 of them walked and of those 5 only 3 are every day.

Plus my 2 spoilt brats of course :P

Advertisement