Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Religious Edicts

• 27-09-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭

So where does this tyope of thing come from?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0927/breaking47.html

The only detail I have is that which is in the article in the link. Please forgive my ignorance, but assuming the article is true and there are no laws banning woman from driving, why would there be a religious edict banning them and what would the basis for that banning be?

MrP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

MrPudding wrote: »
    So where does this tyope of thing come from?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0927/breaking47.html

The only detail I have is that which is in the article in the link. Please forgive my ignorance, but assuming the article is true and there are no laws banning woman from driving, why would there be a religious edict banning them and what would the basis for that banning be?

MrP

Saudi's be crazy yo.

But seriously I have never come across a satisfactory explanation for the ban on women drivers in Saudi, religious or otherwise. Also as far as I know and I'm open to correction on this but most women there don't care that they aren't allowed to drive simply because they've no lack of male relatives to drive them around or money for the bus.

Regardless however the law is backward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 naq0821

The meaning of Islam is total submissiveness to the command of Allah. Which means what He has decreed or ordered has to be followed without allowing your own will to come in between.

Allaah commanded the wives of the Prophet and the believing women to stay in their houses, to observe hijab and to avoid showing their adornments to non-mahrams because of the permissiveness that all these things lead to, which spells doom for society. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And stay in your houses, and do not display yourselves like that of the times of ignorance, and perform As-Salaah (Iqamat-as-Salaah), and give Zakaah and obey Allaah and His Messenger. Allaah wishes only to remove Ar-Rijs (evil deeds and sins) from you, O members of the family (of the Prophet), and to purify you with a thorough purification”

[al-Ahzaab 33:33]

“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed”

[al-Ahzaab 33:59]

“And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband’s fathers, or their sons, or their husband’s sons, or their brothers or their brother’s sons, or their sister’s sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islam), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of feminine sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allaah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful”

[al-Noor 24:31]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No man is alone with a (non-mahram) woman but the Shaytaan is the third one present.”

So one of the main reason for banning driving for woman in Saudi is the requirement of removal of Hijab while driving thus causing Fitnah on the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

naq0821 wrote: »
    The meaning of Islam is total submissiveness to the command of Allah. Which means what He has decreed or ordered has to be followed without allowing your own will to come in between.

Allaah commanded the wives of the Prophet and the believing women to stay in their houses, to observe hijab and to avoid showing their adornments to non-mahrams because of the permissiveness that all these things lead to, which spells doom for society. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And stay in your houses, and do not display yourselves like that of the times of ignorance, and perform As-Salaah (Iqamat-as-Salaah), and give Zakaah and obey Allaah and His Messenger. Allaah wishes only to remove Ar-Rijs (evil deeds and sins) from you, O members of the family (of the Prophet), and to purify you with a thorough purification”

[al-Ahzaab 33:33]

Please don't do that. Please don't quote selectively from the Qur'an to support your own view point. If you quote the surrounding verses you will see that this rule applied to the wives of the Prophet (PBUH) only, not all Muslim women. The full quote gives a different meaning:

"Those of you who obey Allah and His Rasool and practice righteousness, shall be granted double reward, and for them We have prepared a generous provision.[31] O wives of the Prophet! You are not like the other women: if you fear Allah, then you should not be complaisant while talking to the men who are not closely related to you, lest the one in whose heart is a disease may thereby be encouraged, and speak using suitable good words.[32] Stay in your homes and do not display your finery as women used to do in the days of ignorance (pre-Islamic days); establish Salah, pay Zakah, and obey Allah and His Rasool. O women of the household of Rasool, Allah only intends to remove uncleanliness from you and to purify you completely.[33] Remember the revelations of Allah and wise sayings which are recited in your homes, surely Allah is aware of even the finest mysteries.[34] " - Al Ahzab 30:31-34
    “O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed”

[al-Ahzaab 33:59]

All the words in brackets are the translator's own opinion of the meaning. The actual words from the Qur'an do not specify the face should be covered. In any case I don't see how this relates to driving.

“And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband’s fathers, or their sons, or their husband’s sons, or their brothers or their brother’s sons, or their sister’s sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islam), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of feminine sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allaah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful”

[al-Noor 24:31]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No man is alone with a (non-mahram) woman but the Shaytaan is the third one present.”

None of this has any relevance to women not being allowed to drive.

So one of the main reason for banning driving for woman in Saudi is the requirement of removal of Hijab while driving thus causing Fitnah on the roads.

How is removing the hijab necessary while driving? I have seen women in burqa and niqab driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 naq0821

http://www.alifta.com/Default.aspx

Well these are the guys who are responsible for such issues. Ask them directly rather than discussing here which will not benefit anyone, to get the right answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Saudi religious nutjobs believe women should not be in the company of men they are not related to. Therefore, if they go out in a car, it is possible they may come into contact with with such men.

The comical irony of it is that most of them actually hire a driver (male, non-Saudi, of course), therefore putting them in the company of men they are not related to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement