Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ballyvourney

Options
  • 28-09-2011 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

thinking of moving here,whats the area like?what kind of reputation has it got?
    thanks
    Daz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

dazzlermac wrote: »
    thinking of moving here,whats the area like?what kind of reputation has it got?
    thanks
    Daz.

Lovely fish and chips at the Mills Inn.
    Go for it.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

I spent a couple of days at the Mills Inn recently and I reckon
    • Great spot if you like the countryside
    • Shops adequate
    • Current main road repairs are a nightmare - maybe they've finished now
    • Three bars - the Mills is horrendous if you're looking for a quiet pint - lots of families/children. Abbey Hotel is better and the only basic pub towards the end of the village is fine - forget it's name.
    • Pretty well located for Cork city & Kerry if you don't mind driving.
    Can't speak for housing, schools and other stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Its fairly miserable during the winter months and very quiet. But there are a couple of nice pubs locally and the people are terrible nice. No facilities much I'd say. My friend had a chipper there years ago and didn't last long. She felt very isolated there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

If you like the quiet life then go for it, if not then forget it. Apart from one or two nice pubs there's not much else; small shop, co-op and a few other bits and pieces but that's about it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

depends on what your looking for?
    Theres a couple of pubs, 3 grocery shops, a coop, chinese and kebab place. Ive a young family and think the irish schools are great. I'm not sure i'd like to be living alone here as its really quiet. Saying that Killarney and macroom aren't that far away.
    People are nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

well herself is from kerry and im from cork city and we're gonna live halfway,just doin a bit of research that its a good area and wotnot for kids(eventually) and all that kinda stuff!!thanks for the replies lads and lassies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

OP, all I'll say is think of that road to Cork during the winter months...........if we have snow like we did last year, that bendy road between Macroom and BallyV is no joke...........be prepared to be stranded I think if you work in town (and I mean Cork CITY!):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

cjmcork wrote: »
    OP, all I'll say is think of that road to Cork during the winter months...........if we have snow like we did last year, that bendy road between Macroom and BallyV is no joke...........be prepared to be stranded I think if you work in town (and I mean Cork CITY!):)

This is true - you need to be Lewis Hamilton to negotiate it even in the dry. A bit icy and it would be like :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Also the real highest pub in Ireland isn't too far from Ballyvourney.

Advertisement