Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom NextGen

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Warning Smart charge when you go over their crappy low caps.

Most people wouldn't notice the 6mb difference, but you would notice the cap difference.

To be honest you would almost be better off with Eircom now that they have no caps!!!

Wow how the once mighty have fallen.

All of this is assuming you can't get UPC or Magnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Oh really? :( Hmm...well UPC can't service the area and I haven't tried Magnet (I don't have a phoneline in the place). So you'd recommend getting a phoneline from eircom and then giving Magnet a go? The line is something like 25 p/m isn't it?

What sort of charge am I looking at btw? For the 16mb there's 300 GB traffic included, is that not quite a lot?

On the Magnet site at the moment and the 24mb package is a bit expensive (€60 p/m). Would nearly prefer going with Smart at this stage is the charges aren't crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You will have to have a phoneline in place for Smart Telecom too

But Smart Telecom said they'll install the line and pay for it each month (so that's 25 built into the price)...

• Advertisement

Anyone?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Both Smarts and Magnets prices include phone line rental cost.

As do Eircoms and Vodafones bundle packages.

So you are looking at:
    Smart 10mb + 170GB cap €40
    Smart 10mb + offline calls + 100GB cap €40
    Smart 16mb + offline calls + 300GB cap €50
    Magnet 8mb + offpeak calls + no cap €50
    Magnet 24mb + offpeak calls + no cap €60
    Eircom 8mb + offpeak calls + no cap €52
    Eircom 24mb + offpeak calss + no cap €62

Smart throttle you down to an unbearable 128 k when you go over the cap (which BTW is a 30 day rolling cap and includes both upload and download speed, so the most restrictive type of cap possible). You can then request for your cap to be reset for the following prices:

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=3895

What is most annoying is it can take up to 24 hours for the cap reset to kick in, which is very annoying if you are working from home and depending on a reliable service.

Smart have gone way down hill since Digiweb took them over :(

Hmm, but there is a cap with Eircom in a way - once you go over the limit you pay €2 per gb. Also, how many people really use 300gb p/m? Is not not sufficient for most people? Will gaming affect this in any way do you know?

Renn wrote: »
    Hmm, but there is a cap with Eircom in a way - once you go over the limit you pay €2 per gb. Also, how many people really use 300gb p/m? Is not not sufficient for most people? Will gaming affect this in any way do you know?

I don't believe Eircom charge anything for going over caps. After all they advertise their products as unlimited. There is a fair usage policy, but that doesn't mean they charge.

You would be surprised at how many people go over 300GB, lots of cloud services nowadays. But it is up to yourself.

Went with:

Eircom 24mb + offpeak calss + no cap €62

Cheers man. Hopefully they'll be okay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

bk wrote: »
    I don't believe Eircom charge anything for going over caps.

Weren't there threads in here a couple of months ago when eircom started charging everyone on their phone bill for any excess over the cap of the package they were on, or was I day dreaming? :)

I haven't kept track of dsl packages so I could be wrong, but I'd almost swear I saw something along those lines in a fair few threads.

Advertisement