Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Light going off every 2nd night

• 28-09-2011 1:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice as to what may be causing the issue before I call Vodafone again.
    Since the start of last week my DSL light has been going off very 2 days at about 12 at night. I reboot it could take up to an hour for light to comeback on and another hour or so for modem to authenticate internet.
    Called Vodafone and they said to change the router as it was an old prestige and they were known to have issue reconnecting after software reboot. Fair enought I got my hands on another router and 12 moved to about 4 in the morning every 2nd day and I'd have to restart modem in the morning.
    Called Vodafone and they said it was prob a problem with line temp changed etc and something in the house could be causing the issue.
    Called Vodafone again finally got someone with an IQ and he said the fact that the DSL light going off didn't sound like modem and to unplug all tel devices at night to see if it made a difference.
    Happened again tonight and everything got unplugged and it was a couple of mins after 12. Took over 30mins for dsl light to come on and another 30 or so for internet to authenticate.

My thinking is that the issue is with the exchange at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tungsten Tide

Did you follow the instructions?
    http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/279

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Thats for UPC not vodaphone which the OP is with

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Just an update. They line speed has now been dropped from 7mb to 6mb. Hope this resolves the issue.

Went again.
    Time - 00.28
    DSL Light off
    Modem
    Modem Status Connecting
    DownStream Connection Speed 0 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 0 kbps
    VPI 8
    VCI 35
    Time - 00.40
    DSL Light Came Back On

Modem Status Connected
    DownStream Connection Speed 6688 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 384 kbps
    VPI 8
    VCI 35

Connection
    connecting to server - failed
    Negotiation - LCP down or when trying to connect Initialize LCP
    Authentication - CHAP authentication failed

Connected. Could browse internet.

Dropped connection again DSL Light Is On
    Connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

I've seen a similar issue over the last week. The DSL connection is steady but the internet connection drops. It looks like they are messing around or have some iffy gear at the exchange.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Vodafone have finally passed it to eircom. This should be fun as it only happens in the wee hours. Was on the phone to the for nearly an hour telling them its not the modem because I've changed it and sky, tel cable all eliminated. The fact the DSL signal goes there is something wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

Any update on this.I'm having similar issues with vodafone and when I rang they were blaming everythingfrom my"old modem" to the length of the phone cable I use.Your man from vodafone said that he was lowering my profile and that seemed to work for an hour or two.Now it's back to switching off whenever it wants and the only way I can get it back is to turn off the modem and wait a few minutes for it to come back only for it to disappear again after a short time.Very annoying,what really annoys me is the suggestion that the modem,phone cable etc that worked perfectly for years just stopped working for no reason all of a sudden.

Had some issues the night before last for about 10 mins of so where it kept dropping. DSL light doesnt seem to be going off. I found out the night I posted the stats Vodafone hadnt changed the profile. I've been posting on their facbook page and emailing them as well. Now I've found they've dropped my profile to 5mb instead of the 6mb.
    Is the dsl light going off of is it just the broadband connection? The other thing that may be happening is your router is jamming up. Check for spyware on your computer. I know I dont have any here so I ruled that out. If you can get your hands on another router try it.
    On your bill do you have a note at the side ref upgrades and some downtime?

Internet went off again tonight for over 30mins. Getting DSL Signal but no ip or authentication to their server. I'm not phoning again to have to go through all the details again I've emailed their support.

Just realized esb were doing work no more than a week before I started having problems. They were doing work and cut the power to the estate.

Vodafone finally got back to me today fault on line fixed! What the fault is I do not know and have asked them to let me know. Got them to put profile back to 7mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

same thing has started happening to me. DSL light on, line stats look good but no internet :(

Advertisement