Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beta Impressions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Not sure if it's being mentioned already, but the squad management is a joke, it was perfect it Bf2 and it seems to be completely removed. So far I've been playing with a few mates, and its pure luck if two of us end up in the same squad together.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Burgo wrote: »
    Not sure if it's being mentioned already, but the squad management is a joke, it was perfect it Bf2 and it seems to be completely removed. So far I've been playing with a few mates, and its pure luck if two of us end up in the same squad together.

Squad management isn't available in the beta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I made a video of me playing Attacker on Metro, full 1080p option is there
    There is full commentary for the video, mid way from stage 1 all the way to the end

It doesnt show it on the video but I do mention that you can destroy those large green metal barriers with just a medkit and if you aim the medkit properly you can take out 2 of those barriers, also some walls can be broken with the medkit. Throw the medkit at one of those knee high walls and it makes a nice small hole to crawl and shoot through.
    (doesnt work on sandbags)

Thanks

Ponster wrote: »
    Squad management isn't available in the beta.

Ah fair enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Burgo wrote: »
    Ah fair enough.

Actually...From reading other forums it seems that BF3 squad management won't be like BF2 management.

Won't be able to join just any squad in-game but perhaps possible to joining a 'party' in Battlelog which then becomes a squad in-game ?

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    Actually...From reading other forums it seems that BF3 squad management won't be like BF2 management.

Thats pretty disappointing tbh :(
    Won't be able to join just any squad in-game but perhaps possible to joining a 'party' in Battlelog which then becomes a squad in-game ?

Yeah i hope they implement that at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

So having given the Beta a decent go this weekend my impressions (coming from a big 1942 and BF2 fan) are as follows:

Only got to play the Metro map, so can't comment on it feeling like a BF game till I get to play a proper BF map. Still I enjoyed it, the fire fights are intense - the effects bullets and all that -excellent it looks and runs great on my pc etc etc. Still have not got used to the different sounds of the guns (BF2 you'd know if it was enemy gun fire or friendly gun fire by the sounds - very helpful when it comes to situational awareness)

But aesthetics aside on to gameplay itself:

You can see its been hit by the fact that its on consoles too.

Grenades are terrible. You only get one, have no control over it, can't cook it or anything, you can't throw it very far at all and worst of all, there's a big flashing red light saying "grenade here" just to make sure any retarded can get out of the way and avoid it (takes half an hour to actually explode too)

Wtf? Grenades were fine in BF2, but I presume its due to the worry of grenade spammers on the console version they had to make them totally retard friendly (about a billion things in your favour to make sure you avoid getting killed by one) other wise they'd be bombarded by complaints.

I'd be perfectly happy to sacrifice the ability to one button grenade for BF2 style grenades again.

Guns:

They shoot like lazers and hit hard. I don't really know what I think about this fully yet. I'm slaughtering people - you just have to fire in their general direction and they die instantly. Half the time I might not even be able to see them properly. See a guy pop behind a few rocks in the distance , unload in the general direction of that rock even though you don't see him anymore more. Sure enough, you still kill him..... oh......kay...:confused:

Now I'm not going to say it should be like BF2 as BF2 was a bit dodgy in this area - random bullet spread and the likes - but I am thinking there should be a little but more skill needed to get kills.

When you get shot your often dead before you even realise you were being shot at. No impact sounds or anything - probably more a beta thing.

I'm not sure if there something up with the hitboxes or just general lag but when I get killed, half the time its 'after' I've got into cover - then it shows me dead as if I never made it to that cover at all. This is really annoying either way.

I'm extremely disappointed to read what I'm reading about squads. I want to be able to create a squad in-game, name it to what I want and invite whoever I want into it and be able to voice chat with them. All on the fly. But noooooo this is a console game now too so PC people will have to get used to not having standard features that we had 6 years ago... :(

I really hope they change this in future updates to the game on PC version.

& for feck sake. Allow me to go to my game settings or quit the game without forcing me to fecking spawn 1st, what the hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

they HAVE to change this melee knife thing, its slow as a wet week. and also the grenades are a major fault. worst ever.
    nothing about neither of them on their to 'fix' list... :(

A SELECTION OF CHANGES FROM OPEN BETA TO FINAL, PART 1
    (Not a complete list – for up to date news, visit the News section in Battlelog)
    * Fixed occasional client crash when reviving.
    * Fixed killcam showing glitched area under map if your killer is dead.
    * Issue with spawning on dead squad mates fixed.
    * Fixed a bug where shooting at a moving enemy could cause more than the intended amount of damage.
    * Crosshairs for shotguns have been replaced with a new, thinner, art.
    * A subtle low health screen effect has been added.
    * Tweaked scores of Medals and Service Stars.
    * Tweaked the Rank progression.
    * Pushing prone on console will not play the animation twice.
    * Fixed loss of Squad Leader after EOR at some times.
    * Framerate stability fixes.
    * The 3D spotting icons has been tweaked to better match the target’s visibility. Icons will show frequently less on mostly obscured targets.
    * Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after round transition.
    * Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after trying to deploy while the countdown timer still active.
    * Squad list now shows specializations chosen, VOIP activity and dead squad mates.
    * Non working options in squad menu fixed: "Private" flag and "Switch Teams".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Sisko wrote: »
    You can see its been hit by the fact that its on consoles too.

Wtf? Grenades were fine in BF2, but I presume its due to the worry of grenade spammers on the console version they had to make them totally retard friendly (about a billion things in your favour to make sure you avoid getting killed by one) other wise they'd be bombarded by complaints.

Yeah,it's all the consoles fault :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Get rid of hit markers.

So stupid shooting halfway across the map, or a random bush and seeing X X X pop up....to reassure you you are hitting them.

• Advertisement

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Yeah,it's all the consoles fault :rolleyes:

No its DICE's fault, for leaving some gameplay elements that are designed for consoles on the PC.

FPS's play differently on both, on pc you can move your aim at lighting fast speed and react faster. Not the same on console thus more people rely on grenades as their primary weapon.

Roll your eyes all you want but this is the facts - things that work well on PC don't work well on consoles and because this is mutliplatform and DICE don't seem to be making the PC version all that different gameplay wise, pc users will lose those things. We're not going to be happy with that.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Get rid of hit markers.

So stupid shooting halfway across the map, or a random bush and seeing X X X pop up....to reassure you you are hitting them.

It is a bit but hitmarkers have been there since 42 - I'd be more in favour of it requiring more skill to get kills like that at that distance (for the pc version that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Good skills SearrarD, nailed that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

* Fixed a bug where shooting at a moving enemy could cause more than the intended amount of damage.

heh heh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I thought COD was bad with campers. This Beta is infested with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I thought COD was bad with campers. This Beta is infested with them.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Whats the problem with campers ? Its rush mode its the defenders job to camp out around the sites !!! And the indoor nature of some of the sites are obviously going to make it worse. The problem will be a lot less pronounced on a wide open and bigger map.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Whats the problem with campers ? Its rush mode its the defenders job to camp out around the sites !!! And the indoor nature of some of the sites are obviously going to make it worse. The problem will be a lot less pronounced on a wide open and bigger map.
    It's annoying when some douche is lying prone in a bush and clips your ankles while you're running towards the objective.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's annoying when some douche is lying prone in a bush and clips your ankles while you're running towards the objective.

Well that's your own fault for not checking your surroundings.

FFS this isn't COD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

you should check the bush so.
    its a team based game, there should be someone from your team checking about also.
    i know its not ideal on a public server, but its just how things work.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Lads when you have the chance, always grab yerself some bush!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

It's really buggy at the moment, but it's a beta so that can be allowed.

The map and mode choice for the beta is very poor, they're obviously trying to win over some CoD fans with it. Bit pointless because I doubt the typical CoD fan has the attention span to play the larger maps.

I do love the realistic touches to the game though. Everyone complains that the torches are cheap, but they're realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Operation Metro is really growing on me, so many different routes to take even on some heavily defended choke points you have 3-4 options to flank them, got past the enemy front line so many times felt like some super spy or something :D
    The work put into this map really shows, few niggle things to iron out, but this is gonna be a great shooter. Put a few hours into it to learn the ropes and you'll be well rewarded.

This whole brand loyalty, or perceived brand loyalty makes me laugh. If a game looks good, and there is a community shouting about how good it really is then more people will buy it, regardless of what game they played before.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    It's really buggy at the moment, but it's a beta so that can be allowed.

The map and mode choice for the beta is very poor, they're obviously trying to win over some CoD fans with it. Bit pointless because I doubt the typical CoD fan has the attention span to play the larger maps.

I do love the realistic touches to the game though. Everyone complains that the torches are cheap, but they're realistic.

i dunno, i think conquest would have been a better choice for satisfying cod fans, as its alot like domination.

rush is completely different from any cod modes isnt it?
    well except maybe war from world at war.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

I've 2 questions for PS3 players.

Is there any way to mute players? And is there any way to stop your scope swaying as a sniper?

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    i dunno, i think conquest would have been a better choice for satisfying cod fans, as its alot like domination.

rush is completely different from any cod modes isnt it?
    well except maybe war from world at war.

Bit like demolition, 2 bomb sites etc.

TheFairy wrote: »
    Bit like demolition, 2 bomb sites etc.

fair point.
    forgot to thing of that one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

As much as im enjoying this beta we need another map, not that metro is bad, its ok once you get past the starting area @ the park/lake.
    Bushes everywhere is just silly,im all for guys defending the objectives by camping but ffs the game is infested now.
    Once you get past that area its fine but most servers its almost rare to get past it.
    Lose half the bushes and it would be decent but as it is now i find im starting to leave servers that dont get past this area fast, its jsut a snoozefest.

Did this map not have an LAV 25 for America at some stage?

Me thinks we're only playing the inf only version of metro.

Once you have a server with decent players, the 1st objective is hard for the US to take. An lav 25 in there would spice it up alright.

Though you'd have to be careful as I'm sure there'll be many russian RPG's headed its way from the get go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Servers seem to be down atm. In the middle of testing my overclocked graphics cards too :(

Advertisement