Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beta Impressions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It really is polished to the bone. Still some niggles, mainly falling through the map and prone issues, but other than that its great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Looks like it has some bugs, but nothing too game breaking tbh, hopefully this is a relatively old build and the new build has been worked on for quite some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

It really is polished to the bone. Still some niggles, mainly falling through the map and prone issues, but other than that its great

Its ****ing class going to order my tomorow infull and pay for it IM sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Impressed bye it :D

its jaw breaking how good it is :)

tho it so like Meal of honor...as into lay out love the way the maps on the bottem left hand screen and easy to read...

lest not forget the way you can stab people :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

KilOit wrote: »
    Looks like it has some bugs, but nothing too game breaking tbh, hopefully this is a relatively old build and the new build has been worked on for quite some time.

It's a minimum of 2 or three weeks old.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Some of the files say they haven't been edited since July 31st :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Spear wrote: »
    It's a minimum of 2 or three weeks old.

Decent enough. if most of the work is now done i'm sure the staff are working around the clock to get it tip top. The release has to be near perfect if you want those 10/10 review scores that will sell it to the masses that never played a BF game.

are ps3 only playing on metro ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

are ps3 only playing on metro ?

Consoles only get Metro, PC's get Op Metro and sporadic access to Caspian Border.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Having loads of fun mounting my machine gun on a ledge and providing cover and supressing enemies. Got a feeling im going to enjoy this game alot.

Feckin flashlight is awesome too, got blinded by it a few times

Spear wrote: »
    Consoles only get Metro, PC's get Op Metro and sporadic access to Caspian Border.

ah thanks I was wondering more so... its doesnt bother me at all

I only dled a few hours I think its going to be a long night :o:pac:

• Advertisement

I did some testing with my i7 and my i5 laptop to see how performance was. Everything maxed out everywhere @1080p

i7 with 4 cores @ 2.8ghz: 70-85fps
    i7 with 4 cores @ 3.6ghz: 85-100fps
    i7 with 3 cores @ 2.8ghz: 60-65fps
    i7 with 3 cores @ 3.6ghz: 60-70fps
    i7 with 2 cores @ 2.8ghz: 45-50fps
    i7 with 2 cores @ 3.6ghz: 50fps
    i7 with 1 core @ 2.8ghz: errr 10fps
    i7 with 1 core @ 3.6ghz: 12fps

All i7's were used with a GTX570. Overclocking the GTX570 yielded in about 4-5fps increase in quads and tri's only.

Core i5 (dual core) with GT540M(similar to GT430, tad slower than GT240/9600GT; maxed out @720p

i5 with 2 cores @ 2.66ghz: 20-25fps
    i5 with 2 cores @ 2.93ghz: 24-27fps
    i5 with 1 core @ 2.66ghz: 10-12fps
    i5 with 1 core @2.93ghz: 10-12fps

Overclocking the GT540M yielded about 2fps increase on the i5.

Basically you need a top end dual core absolute minimum if you want to thoroughly enjoy this game as it is. Tri core seems to be a good choice too, but bear in mind AMD's tri core's would indeed be slower, they'd need a good overclock to get good results. The GT540M could only manage about 45FPS on lowest settings on a decent resolution. As a matter of fact switching between low and some medium settings didnt lower/higher the FPS at all, showing the i5 was actually bottlenecking the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

dont know what happened tonight but for the last few hours my games have all been incredible choppy and unplayable.

But before that I sunk some quality time into Caspian Border and I am enjoying it a lot. Even got some time in the jets.

Didnt shoot much down, did disable a jet but didnt get the kill for it.

The capping process seems to have been changed as well? I found myself being able to spawn in on caps that were nearly completely red when normally once they go neutral that would be it.

Glad to see the infantry combat is still crucially important even on a map flooded with vehicles. Mostly because of how the caps are designed.

Also going away from caspian, I ran into that little robot from the trailer. It was arming the com station on metro under the control of an enemy unit. Got a laugh out of me cause no one knew what it was, defused and moved away only for it to arm the com station again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I was hoping that you could blow up the walls in the underground, considering that they pushed on the "destructive environment" ...but its a pretty static underground that can't really be changed.

Also, FF needs turning off

I take it most people here played MOH ? ....the combat feels exactly like it, except for Prone.

I think a lot of people are jumping the gun saying it's the best thing since sliced bread, because they have been waiting so long for it, looking at it through rose tinted glasses.
    I have too, but I'm gonna hold my judegement till the full game is out.

It' OK, nothing amazingly better than BF:BC2 had to offer, except graphically

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Hehe

if you have a wired 360 controller you can use it for the jets/choppers. I like it because I'm a cheap bast*rd who cant afford a flight stick.

Though I have no idea of the controls...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

How are the controls on the PS3? Never liked using R1 and L1 for firing and ads, prefer R2 and L2. Customized would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Dont see the beta available on Xbox yet-anyone any idea what time it will be released?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I'll be surprised if we get it today. I think your best bet would be to go onto ea support chat now while its quiet and ask for a code.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I think its supposed to be up around midday but its EA so i would expect it next week:p

Really enjoying the beta so far. I dont think it plays exactly like MOH, maybe more a mix of that bc2 and bf2. Its really its own game though!

I've come across some mad glitches at times but nothing too annoying yet!

Cant wait to play caspian on the pc!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yeah I'm looking forward to trying the open beta on the PC.

I've a pretty decent setup

i7 3.4GHz
    8GB Corsair
    GTX 460

The graphics might be a bit on the weak side but we'll see im sure the game looks great on medium - high :D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Excellent vid a guys on OCN made of Caspian Border. Gives a great impression of the map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I was hoping that you could blow up the walls in the underground, considering that they pushed on the "destructive environment" ...but its a pretty static underground that can't really be changed.
    Using an RPG, I was able to get rid of a few of the walls :D I think you can get rid of the single walls, but not make an entire new passageway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

What i think is funny is people who hated MOH are loving this yet the combat and feel of the weapons is almost identical :)

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

I loled for sure,hes a gas man :)
    What i will say is stick him on a 64 player map on pc and see him eat his words :)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

Can't believe people are still subbed to him. He holds no opinion on anything, just looks for the most controversial thing to say to get views. He's ****e a COD as is his commentary. [/mini rant]

Anyway. Thoroughly enjoyed the little bit of the beta I played yesterday. Hopefully the bugs/glitches and long waiting times to get in a game will be sorted by release as I'll certainly pick it up. Not looking forward to downloading it on my useless connection later though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

New Caspian Border PW
    videokilledtheradiostar

Can't believe people are still subbed to him. He holds no opinion on anything, just looks for the most controversial thing to say to get views. He's ****e a COD as is his commentary. [/mini rant]

Anyway. Thoroughly enjoyed the little bit of the beta I played yesterday. Hopefully the bugs/glitches and long waiting times to get in a game will be sorted by release as I'll certainly pick it up. Not looking forward to downloading it on my useless connection later though :pac:

Long waiting times?
    Ive no problems finding servers with rom within seconds, you must be on console?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

hes a legend, speaks his mind. funny watching nerds freaking out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Sorry if this question has already been asked..

didnt really explore menu very well as I was in a hurry to get a few games in before work.

PS3 open beta....

Is caspian boarders available..?? could only select metro or whatever its called!

Fair few glitches for them to sort out!! Great fun thou!!

• Advertisement

hypermuse wrote: »
    Sorry if this question has already been asked..

didnt really explore menu very well as I was in a hurry to get a few games in before work.

PS3 open beta....

Is caspian boarders available..?? could only select metro or whatever its called!

Fair few glitches for them to sort out!! Great fun thou!!

It's only for PC players.

Advertisement